PDA

View Full Version : How many more Redwall books will be written?

Josiah the Warrior
March 30th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Brian Jaques is due to turn 66 in June. He has already churned out 17 Redwall books (I think, so correct me if I'm wrong) and according to him, there are "many more to come." Although I'm sure many of us want him to write until we are senile, he obviously will have to stop somewhere, the question is when? My guess is another 8 books. I pray for twice that, but that is my guess. Tell me yours!

Jodan
March 30th, 2005, 11:20 PM
He'll write them as long as he is in complete control of his cognitive faculties.

Felldoh
March 31st, 2005, 08:07 AM
I think they should end at 20.

Keyla
March 31st, 2005, 12:51 PM
Well, he says he will write them until either his ability or his fans' desire runs out. I doubt the latter will so I guess he'll be writing as long as he is able. I imagine that as time goes on he may choose to slow his schedule but I imagine he will carry on writing.

shadowmoon
March 31st, 2005, 04:38 PM
He'll write them as long as he is in complete control of his cognitive faculties.
i agree with that. ill keep reading them as long as he keeps writing them :)

Sagrived Switpaw
March 31st, 2005, 06:51 PM
when i met him. he sayd hed wright as long as possiable. if we (the readers) keep reading.
so bring on the books brian. ;)
hope he is blessed with another 66 years.

Hisk
March 31st, 2005, 07:02 PM
As long as the engine's running and he's behind the wheel, he'll keep writing. The thing with writers, is that they can't stop. They actually cant. Hemmingway commited suicide becuase he couldn't write anymore.

Cheesethief
April 3rd, 2005, 08:23 AM
I don't agree with Jodan. I think he should end on about 25, a round number. Maybe they should finish all the "Tribes" booklets as well.

WarpedTower
April 6th, 2005, 02:06 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Huh? stop at at 20-25?

I say he should write til he dies. The books are so good If he stoped I would be so sad :(

Josiah the Warrior
April 6th, 2005, 03:52 PM
when i met him. he sayd hed wright as long as possiable. if we (the readers) keep reading.
so bring on the books brian. ;)
hope he is blessed with another 66 years.

I completely agree. But wouldnt that be something if he was still writing in another 20 years? I seriously doubt he will be, but I'd march right into that bookstore at age 36 and buy a copy of his latest book! Who's with me? :slagar

WarpedTower
April 6th, 2005, 04:53 PM
I completely agree. But wouldnt that be something if he was still writing in another 20 years? I seriously doubt he will be, but I'd march right into that bookstore at age 36 and buy a copy of his latest book! Who's with me? :slagar

I am right there with ya.

Cinnabarr Rivershell
April 7th, 2005, 09:14 PM
I think that Brian should stop at around 25 as well. The 25th book could be a special book. A type of "ending" to the series that could be sweet, heart touching, and happy all at once. Leaving the reader to explore the world of Redwall with their own imagination.

Barrag Barr
April 8th, 2005, 02:18 PM
i can see yours and Cheese's point but it would be sad if he stopped writing Redwall books, but it might be a little dissapointing to leave the sieries totally unfinished, say if he died half way through a book

Cheesethief
April 8th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Yeah, exactly. But I trust Brian will choose for himself.

I think that Brian should stop at around 25 as well. The 25th book could be a special book. A type of "ending" to the series that could be sweet, heart touching, and happy all at once. Leaving the reader to explore the world of Redwall with their own imagination. If I'm thinking what you're thinking, that sounds really good. The book could be about some huge conflict, and then, when it ends, a young mouse in an overlarge green habit admires the sun setting. That kind of thing.

Cinnabarr Rivershell
April 8th, 2005, 11:02 PM
If I'm thinking what you're thinking, that sounds really good. The book could be about some huge conflict, and then, when it ends, a young mouse in an overlarge green habit admires the sun setting. That kind of thing.
Exactly. I was thinking about the "sun setting" ending as well.

Felldoh
April 8th, 2005, 11:22 PM
I like how you two think. I hope the series ends like that...

Bladeswift
April 8th, 2005, 11:24 PM
Too cliche for my taste.

Cheesethief
April 9th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Well, sometimes cliche can be nice. How would you have it end, Blade?

Bladeswift
April 9th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Well, sometimes cliche can be nice. How would you have it end, Blade?
Never thought about it, really. Have the abbey destroyed in some great battle, and after the heroes win they start a new life elsewhere, I suppose.

Barrag Barr
April 9th, 2005, 03:20 PM
that seems kind of pointless if you ask me, the abbey being destroied, but i can see how it'd work, like Loamhedge before Redwall

Josiah the Warrior
April 11th, 2005, 05:16 PM
ok, I gave it some thought, but a cool way(or maybe dumb, I dunno) to end the series would be to destroy all the vermin. Now all of you who just read that and scoffed (not the eating meaning!) just hold on and read the rest! :slagar I remember in one of the books, a hare said "seasons change and rocks crumble to dust but vermin will still be vermin." Well what if for some reason, all the hares and woodlanders etc.. banded together and marched around the "Redwall continent" and overseas and destroyed all vermin, or one super warlord(a wildcat! :slagar ) gathered every vermin on earth for an attack on Redwall or Salamandastron. Hmmm too far-fetched? Probably. But it'd be cool! (I think)

Bladeswift
April 11th, 2005, 08:47 PM
ok, I gave it some thought, but a cool way(or maybe dumb, I dunno) to end the series would be to destroy all the vermin. Now all of you who just read that and scoffed (not the eating meaning!) just hold on and read the rest! :slagar I remember in one of the books, a hare said "seasons change and rocks crumble to dust but vermin will still be vermin." Well what if for some reason, all the hares and woodlanders etc.. banded together and marched around the "Redwall continent" and overseas and destroyed all vermin, or one super warlord(a wildcat! :slagar ) gathered every vermin on earth for an attack on Redwall or Salamandastron. Hmmm too far-fetched? Probably. But it'd be cool! (I think)
Of course, why didn't I think of that?!

"And so the woodlanders performed complete genocide and they lived happily ever after."

Hisk
April 11th, 2005, 08:57 PM
How's this: all vermin TURN GOOD! and live happily ever after. Actually, I'm not joking. That ending would satisfy me the most.

Rolinko
April 11th, 2005, 09:34 PM
If I'm thinking what you're thinking, that sounds really good. The book could be about some huge conflict, and then, when it ends, a young mouse in an overlarge green habit admires the sun setting. That kind of thing.Nice but needs refinement: The long-awaited sequel to Salamandastron/prequel to Redwall, and somehow BJ puts Matthias at the end or something. Or it has one of those Prologue/Epilogue dealies in which it starts with some creature telling a story and ends with the same characters. A lot of times, when we read the prologue, we don’t know who the characters are; but upon reading the epilogue we realize these oldbeasts telling the story were in the story. In the final book the “bookend” characters could be from Redwall, and at the very end there’s a rapping at the door of a mouse, barely a Dibbun, begging to be let in. The characters could even go as far as say “I don’t think we have any habits or sandals that fit him.” It all goes back to the beginning, in the end. Ooh, I’m on a roll. Cinnamon.

Josiah the Warrior
April 11th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Of course, why didn't I think of that?!

"And so the woodlanders performed complete genocide and they lived happily ever after."

awww, was it that bad? :slagar

(in retrospect it was very poorly written, but I sorta just spit it out there)

Cheesethief
April 12th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Nice but needs refinement: The long-awaited sequel to Salamandastron/prequel to Redwall, and somehow BJ puts Matthias at the end or something. Or it has one of those Prologue/Epilogue dealies in which it starts with some creature telling a story and ends with the same characters. A lot of times, when we read the prologue, we don’t know who the characters are; but upon reading the epilogue we realize these oldbeasts telling the story were in the story. In the final book the “bookend” characters could be from Redwall, and at the very end there’s a rapping at the door of a mouse, barely a Dibbun, begging to be let in. The characters could even go as far as say “I don’t think we have any habits or sandals that fit him.” It all goes back to the beginning, in the end. Ooh, I’m on a roll. Cinnamon. Could be good, agreed. I was thinking, instead of having something that fits in between two previous books, the final tome should be the literal last in the series, and the mouse in the habit could be some subtle sort of nod to longtime fans, a kind of continuation, circle of life blah.

Actually, I'm starting to warm to your idea. That or something featuring Martin I. (Note to less-wary persons: I'm meaning Big Mart's grandad)