PDA

View Full Version : Metal.Gear.Solid

Cheesethief
April 6th, 2005, 03:15 PM
So, I'm not expecting an overlarge response to this. Felldoh, I know, has played these games, but to those who haven't, they're a stealth series, involving complex plots and counterplots (And some lengthy Codec chats. Bleh.), and plenty of action.

So, straight to the point-What do you think of MGS3? Pros, cons, some stuff you noticed? To start this off, I wonder what you reckon Ocelot is doing throughout the series.

Jodan
April 6th, 2005, 03:27 PM
I haven't had a chance to play it, and I'm not sure if I want to since MGS2 has scared me off a bit with it's bizarre story. I haven't really enjoyed stealth games as a genre, since in most action games I like to go in gun blazing, which you can't do in this series. I might give it a try though.

WarpedTower
April 6th, 2005, 05:08 PM
I come to dislike MGS.

MGS is just plain boring.

When it went "Solid" on the PS it was so much fun after the first MGS game that went solid it got old konami has disapointed me :(

Lukesed
April 6th, 2005, 08:51 PM
I loved the old N64 games.

Never played the newer ones.

Jodan
April 6th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Um, no Metal Gear games of any kind have ever been on the N64. Perhaps you mean the old NES games? Or perhaps you have it confused with another series?

Sebastion Black
April 6th, 2005, 10:36 PM
I loved the old N64 games.
...do you mean, like... the Rainbow Six games, or... seriously, what are you talking about?

Lukesed
April 7th, 2005, 07:00 AM
You sure it wasn't on N64?

I think it was called Black Metal or somthing like that...

Jodan
April 7th, 2005, 10:33 AM
There's no Metal Gear game of any kind on N64. The series has games on NES, PS, PS2, Xbox, PSP and GBC, but not N64. You're thinking of something else.

Cheesethief
April 7th, 2005, 04:49 PM
I haven't had a chance to play it, and I'm not sure if I want to since MGS2 has scared me off a bit with it's bizarre story. I haven't really enjoyed stealth games as a genre, since in most action games I like to go in gun blazing, which you can't do in this series. I might give it a try though. I think you might enjoy it, since you like games' storylines. I agree that MGS2 was overdone in the natter part, but then again, it's worth it for the kicks you get when you complete it. And you can try the guns-blazing tactic if you're feeling really lucky.

When it went "Solid" on the PS it was so much fun after the first MGS game that went solid it got old konami has disapointed me Believe me when I say MGS3 was a lot closer to the first than SoL ever was, in terms of talk:action ratio.

Barrag Barr
April 8th, 2005, 02:25 PM
I love the metal gear solid series, i've got all three games and am eagerly awaiting the realese of number four, my only problem is with all my fave gamesgames like Silent Hill and Devil May Cry is there to short

Felldoh
April 8th, 2005, 04:41 PM
The Metal Gear Solid games just rock. Though I do not actually own any of them, I've played through them all many times. I thought the first Metal Gear Solid was the best, with the third and then the second following closely behind.

As for MGS3.

Pros:

The cast of characters. I loved the characters in this game... and it has my favorite Metal Gear character in it, The Boss. I liked EVA 'till the twist at the end... and who can forget Ocelot?

The selection of guns. I always thought the other two games were serously lacking as far as guns went... thankfully, MGS3 fixed this quite well. I could never chose one gun I always wanted to use... as was the case of the FAMAS in MGS and the normal handgun in MGS2.

The motorcycle chase at the end. Easily one of the best videogame moments I've ever had. I can't think of much sweeter than that.

Your ability to change around your outfit. Snake is the best in The Sorrow's camo.

No playing as Raiden. I don't think I need to elaborate on this one. ;)

The music. I've always loved the music to the Metal Gear games... though I didn't like the soundtrack as much as the second's... it was still great.

Cons:

The stealth thing. I don't feel that stealth was that important. Before the game came out all I heard about was people saying how awesome the stealth system was and how you NEED to always hide and such... I rarely did and I had no problems.

The length. Then again... after playing Resident Evil 4 (it took me 25 hours my first time... for an action game, thats huge), nothing short of RPGs seem very long anymore. I thought the length was decent... but I just felt like it was over too soon.

The people over the codec/radio. I didn't mind them... its just that they didn't seem to play much of a role compared to the ones in past games.

The food thing. Wow... this was just so... not well done. I was expecting it to feel like I was surviving off small woodland creatures... I never did. Snake gets way too hungry way too fast too. I can go a day or two without eating... he can't even go an hour.

Stuff I've noticed:

The Boss is way hotter without her bandanna on. :D

Rotate Snake in the cure view window thing to make him throw up. :D

So, I'm not expecting an overlarge response to this.

Aww... you know how I am. :D I'd say this is a pretty nice response... though not as big as my posts on the Silent Hill or Deptford Mice topic.

Cheesethief
April 8th, 2005, 05:14 PM
I love the metal gear solid series, i've got all three games and am eagerly awaiting the realese of number four, my only problem is with all my fave gamesgames like Silent Hill and Devil May Cry is there to short I originally heard that 3 would be the last (Solid, at least), but now people are saying stuff about number four. What's official?

The Metal Gear Solid games just rock. Though I do not actually own any of them, I've played through them all many times. I thought the first Metal Gear Solid was the best, with the third and then the second following closely behind. I'm with you on the games order, but MGS2 seemed to work better than the first for me. But I only have MGS for the PC...and I can't be bothered buying it for PS1.

The cast of characters. With you.

The selection of guns. Agreed...but I used the Patriot a lot, after the first time. And I felt cool just randomly havng the SAA equipped. :cool:

The motorcycle chase at the end. Cinematically great, but way too easy. Way.

Your ability to change around your outfit. Snake is the best in The Sorrow's camo. Cold War looks coolest, though. :p And Animals thrashed Choco Chip on Krasonorje, completely defeating its existence. I also found Moss cool when you got 100%.

No playing as Raiden. Raikov payed for his sins...Thwack! Take that, you malnourished, ultra-pale, cartwheely ladyboy!

The music. Agreed.

The stealth thing. I don't feel that stealth was that important. Before the game came out all I heard about was people saying how awesome the stealth system was and how you NEED to always hide and such... I rarely did and I had no problems. I though I was the only one. The second time I played, I blasted through the game quite often, and found it easier than my attempt at stealth.

The length. Mos def. Although I hope Resi won't take me 25 hours. Bad news, by the way-They didn't have it. And Jacob's Ladder wasn't in at the video shop.

The people over the codec/radio. Didn't 'phone 'em once except to save.

The food thing. I found myself filling my food stocks with Noodles. At least EVA made it slightly less unpleasing by taking them away.

The Boss is way hotter without her bandanna on. Duh!

Rotate Snake in the cure view window thing to make him throw up. This is probably morally wrong, but I got Snake and EVA to throw up in unison on a dead guard. Ouch. :D

Aww... you know how I am. I'd say this is a pretty nice response... though not as big as my posts on the Silent Hill or Deptford Mice topic. Ah, well, thanks for your support. :p

Barrag Barr
April 9th, 2005, 10:56 AM
March 3, 2005 - While the existence of Metal Gear Solid 4 was confirmed last year in a conference call a recent press event in Germany provided a few new details. The new team of people working on the game has been announced with Hideo Kojima now taking on a less hands-on role. "No were to hide." This new game will be a departure from the series as the first three games comprised a trilogy and this will be a new beginning on a next-generation console.

This all i know for the moment as for mgs3, I THOUGHT THE GAME PLAY WAS MUCH BETTER than in every other game, i enjoied it alot more, but some of the latter boss fights were rather dissapointing

Cheesethief
April 9th, 2005, 01:09 PM
How so?

Anyway, I just found confirmation that Hideo will not be working at all on the new game. It will be dubbed MGS4, and will be the start of a new trilogy, though still Solid. The landscape will initially shock the player, at first seeming to offer no hiding places.

Please, let it not be underwater. ;)

Jodan
April 9th, 2005, 01:13 PM
How about in space?

Metal Gear Solid 4: Going Where No Snake Has Gone Before