PDA

View Full Version : What Justice????

Russus Robur
April 14th, 2005, 05:19 PM
:mad: :mad: Just weeks after the Terri Schiavo case (Which I was totally against the removal of the feeding tube), a case hear in North Central Ohio, involving a 17 month old baby boy suffering from shaken-baby syndrome are making headlines. The little baby is blind and deaf and is in persistent vegetative state and will most likely die with in the next 6 months from a lung or blood infection with no hope of any recovery according to doctors. The little baby has been hooked up to a ventilator and feeding tube since March of last year and if removed from the life support system will die with in an hour. The baby’s father was charged with felonious assault and child endangering and is due to go on trial with in the next few months. The child grandmother (The mother of the accused father) will be awarded legal custody in June and plans on keeping the baby on life support after the trial and maybe than remove him from all life support. Now here what is makes me and along with many Ohioans mad about our justice system. The court trial of the father starts with in the next month or so and if convicted he will get only 10 to 15 years in prison.
And when the little baby does pass away and if it happens after the conviction of the father, he cannot be charged with murder because of Double Jeopardy. The case involving the life support been through the court already granting the parents the right to keep the baby on life support, knowing that once the life support is removed, the little baby has less than an hour to live. The only reason the little one is on life support now is to keep the father from going to trial for murder.

Wormerwing
April 14th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Sick. Something like that happened down here in La. a few months ago...

Josiah the Warrior
April 14th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Well this is a touchy subject for almost everyone, this case especially because obviosly the baby doesn't have a living will. But I think that if you are going to die (like this poor child) or there is absolutely no chance of recovery or even being human again (Terry Schiavo) then there is really no point in living. If the baby is blind, deaf and suffering then the humane thing to do is pull the tube. Why make the parents and family suffer for six months? Why make them watch him die? As for the trial of the father, how is that double jeopardy? Double jeopardy(unless I'm mistaken) the law that prevents someone from being charged with the same crime twice, if the father is being charged with assault and child endangering, then he can still be tried for murder. It is in place so that you can't charge a guy for murder twice if he gets off the first time, because then you could get multiple whacks at someone with a different judge and jury. But the double jeopardy should not apply to this guy, assault and murder are not identical charges.....Of course I'm not condoning the father, he is(will be) responsible for the baby's death, but why keep the baby alive and suffering for six months when he is going to die?

Lukesed
April 14th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Hurry and kill the baby NOW if it gets the man if jail longer.

Wait.

Logic.

Russus Robur
April 14th, 2005, 09:42 PM
Quote from Josiah the Warrior

Double jeopardy(unless I'm mistaken) the law that prevents someone from being charged with the same crime twice

That is what majority of the public here in the surrounding area are saying, this was not Double Jeopardy. But the lawyers on both side stated that the father couldn’t be tried for murder if the little baby dies after he is convicted and sentence for felonious assault and child endangering. I think there is more to this that press and the courts are not telling the public. My feeling are since the press, lawyers and courts are so far left in this area of Ohio, ( Excuse me if the following phrase is of line with the forum rules) that they are all in the same bed together.

LordTBT
April 14th, 2005, 10:07 PM
The little baby is blind and deaf and is in persistent vegetative state and will most likely die

Thats where you hooked me. How many stories have I read about where someone "most likely" was going to die, but they survived?

I wonder if you'd call the survival of this baby miraculous, provided he makes it? Shouldnt he get that chance?

Are you suggesting EVERYONE that we have in hospitals who are in comas should have the plug pulled? I mean after all theyre not doing anything.

Baby Rollo
April 14th, 2005, 10:15 PM
In a utilitarian standpoint, yes they should all have the plug pulled.

In a moral standpoint, they shouldn't.

And I don't think we should discuss something like this. The Terry Schiavo thread brought up some really iffy stuff.