PDA

View Full Version : bathrooms??????????????????

Barkstripe
April 25th, 2005, 01:41 PM
I was wondering what the redwallers used as a boathroom.
For soem reasone i couln't see abbes germaine using the great halll or anyother palce as a bathroom. please help me

Badrang3
April 25th, 2005, 01:46 PM
The question you should be asking is, would you REALLY want to read about that?

Fox
April 25th, 2005, 01:46 PM
They pobably used outdoor latrines *sp* or special rooms with buckets (or somelike) for use as toilets.

However, since we're dealing with animal characters - it's more likely they used litter boxes in the place of buckets. =^.^=

LordTBT
April 25th, 2005, 02:49 PM
It's not relevant to the story, thus Brian doesnt include it.

Felldoh
April 25th, 2005, 04:42 PM
I was thinking maybe they had a pot or something in the rooms, and empty them every morning or something.

Lonna Bowstripe
April 25th, 2005, 06:00 PM
:lol: *Cracks up* Have you ever seen an animal use a toilet? The woods!

Bladeswift
April 25th, 2005, 06:03 PM
This sounds like an entry for one of those "You know you have too much free time when..." threads.

Barkstripe
April 25th, 2005, 06:38 PM
:lol: *Cracks up* Have you ever seen an animal use a toilet? The woods!
Some of the animals in redwall havenever been outside of the walls. o forget who it was but she said that she had only been outside to pick flowers

Ferahgo the Assassin
April 25th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Since we never read about them doing it, they simply don't. They're magical animals who can eat as much as they please while never having to excrete. They also never, ever reproduce. (Stork method, anyone? Or rather, heron method! "I am the laaaw!")

This reminds me of the "do Redwall characters wear pants?" thread. :p

Felldoh
April 25th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Since we never read about them doing it, they simply don't. They're magical animals who can eat as much as they please while never having to excrete.

I'd place my bets on it being one of those obvious things that he didn't really feel the need to point out. :p Along with reproducing.

Bladeswift
April 25th, 2005, 08:57 PM
I don't recall Jacques ever saying anything about blinking or breathing either, so we can assume that they don't do that either.

Renegade
April 26th, 2005, 05:50 AM
Heck, for all we know, they have individual bathrooms in individual rooms along with a communal one that animals who stay in barrack-style rooms use. :p

Or maybe just an outhouse.

Josiah the Warrior
April 26th, 2005, 03:12 PM
How many books, not Redwall books but book in general, have you read where it says they are going to the bathroom. It is rare to never because it is almost never relevant (ex: a guy goes to the bathroom and his prisoner escapes etc...) and just not something most people want to read about.

Ferahgo the Assassin
April 26th, 2005, 03:22 PM
I'd place my bets on it being one of those obvious things that he didn't really feel the need to point out. :p Along with reproducing.
I know. I was being a bit sarcastic. :p

Felldoh
April 26th, 2005, 05:17 PM
I know. I was being a bit sarcastic. :p

As was I. Hence the ":p". :D

Cheesethief
April 27th, 2005, 12:35 PM
I share the views of these other people. One thing that irks me, though: bathrooms are not necessarily rooms with toilets. Logical, no? But then the Americans aren't, are they? :p

shadowmoon
April 27th, 2005, 05:53 PM
well if we're talking about bathrooms with actual baths then I think they had one in the infirmary cuz the dubbuns usually get a dunking when they're dirty.
If we're talking about toilets then as many ppl say here it's irrelivant and there is no point. as they're animals i suspect they do it in a bush :D

Josiah the Warrior
April 27th, 2005, 06:45 PM
I share the views of these other people. One thing that irks me, though: bathrooms are not necessarily rooms with toilets. Logical, no? But then the Americans aren't, are they? :p
Yes we have lots of words that don't make sense, but that's why we convince people to not talk about it...*slips Cheesethief a 20 dollar bill* :slagar

Hisk
April 27th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Anyway...

They probebly do er, relieve themselves, but do you think BJ'll mention it? really. I think someone mentioned it before, but bathroom breaks aren't written about in any books, let alone Redwall books.

Rolinko
April 27th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Okaaaay, here we go. :o
Just call them lavatories then. Or the restroom. Or the loo. ;) Question: Is the loo a term for an actual toilet, a bathroom, or a lavatory?
I like to surmise that the creatures of Redwall keep some of the characteristics that make them animals, and not humans, in habits and in actions. Mebbe they don't regularly use toilets or lavatories when nature calls. Mebbe they don't use them, or need them, or have them at all.
she said that she had only been outside to pick flowersWhoever it was probably just wanted to be MODEST and not mention business such as nature calling, said the poster, using capitalization for emphasis. And noooo, I don't know that for certain.
While the topic's on bathrooms, I'd rather learn more about bathing habits than the final stages of the digestive system. Apparently some beasts bathe indoors, in washtubs, but at least once, characters have washed in the Pond, the two vermin who came to the abbey in Sala for example. They were ordered to do so, however. Then I seem to recall Mariel being washed in a washtub- against her will as well. Which place do you think is more commonly used? Do beasts wash with or in the presence of otherbeasts?
Okaaaay.........

Cheesethief
April 28th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Yes we have lots of words that don't make sense, but that's why we convince people to not talk about it...*slips Cheesethief a 20 dollar bill* ...Of course, these words are still, aha, perfectly normal. Yes.

Question: Is the loo a term for an actual toilet, a bathroom, or a lavatory? All three, depending on context.

In answer to your other question, I think they wash communally in the Pond, and privately in baths. This is, after all, a children's book series, right? Also, I think that it's mainly older Dibbuns who wash in the Pond.

shadowmoon
April 28th, 2005, 05:54 PM
or rather they get dunked in the dirty scoundrels :lol:

on the subject of toilets, they do mention that stuff in some books like in harry potter 2. but that had an important thig to it

Lonna Bowstripe
April 28th, 2005, 06:40 PM
How many books, not Redwall books but book in general, have you read where it says they are going to the bathroom.Ummm... Artemis Fowl: Opal Decption, House of thhe Scorpion, all the Dav Pilkeys I read in elemantary schoo,l :p Watership Down

Josiah the Warrior
April 28th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Lonna! My arguement! My-my post! You-you ruined it! :slagar (I was hoping no one would churn up counter-examples you rotten traitor :slagar )

Martin the Warrior
April 29th, 2005, 11:10 PM
Believe it or not, someone put this question to Brian Jacques once. I recall being incredibly dismayed that somebody would waste an answer from Brian Jacques on such a trivial thing-- it was right up there with "What do you think of Mad Cow disease?" ;)

The answer is unimportant.

LordTBT
April 30th, 2005, 12:28 AM

Don't you mean, not necessarily rooms with baths? ;)

That's why I say 'restroom' and not 'bathroom'.

Cinnabarr Rivershell
April 30th, 2005, 01:43 AM
That's why I say 'restroom' and not 'bathroom'.
Well, do you rest in there? Or do you take care of business like normal people do? "Restroom" is just as strange a term as "bathroom." If you want to be totally politically correct, then you should call it the "toilet room."

Barkstripe
April 30th, 2005, 08:25 AM
:lol: :lol: Yeah. You're right. a toilet room.

Barrag Barr
April 30th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Its the weekend again and im back, i reckon the Redwallers don't have a toilet room and go with the woods theory

Cinnabarr Rivershell
April 30th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Redwallers are sophisticated and advanced enough to have ovens, but they're not sophisticated and advanced enough to have toilets? :rolleyes:
Yes, Redwallers are animals, but they are civilized. They act as humans, and take the place of humans in BJ's books. Squatting down in some bush to relieve one self is not civilized, and I seriously doubt that any Redwaller would be caught doing something like that, unless they were on a journey and there weren't any facilities to relieve themselves in. I'm sure that they have "bathrooms" or "restrooms" or "toilet rooms" to take care of their business in. It only makes sense.

Barrag Barr
May 1st, 2005, 01:43 AM
Yes but were would the toilets be, if they were inside the abbey were would it go, would n't it smell. I meant they they had an outhouse in the woods, one that was easily emptied and in view of the walls.

Lonna Bowstripe
May 1st, 2005, 12:53 PM
I know! They use the john! ;)

Kratos
May 1st, 2005, 04:58 PM

Naw...we lahk havin' a good awl tahm instead.Y'all keep yer book-larnin' to yourself.

Lord Mask
May 1st, 2005, 05:10 PM
It is a book, and however Brian writes them is how they are.

Hisk
May 1st, 2005, 05:36 PM
I don't have to worry about getting the word "bathroom" messed up, everyone I know just calls it something that starts with C.

Josiah the Warrior
May 1st, 2005, 09:35 PM
They eat and therefore they excrete (a wonderful rhyme eh? :slagar ), most authors never mention people(or animals! :slagar ) relieving themselves and it is perfectly understandable that BJ would want to count himself among those many.

shadowmoon
May 4th, 2005, 05:38 PM
they live in the middle of the woods and have an orchard wouldn't you think it would be useful to do their daily necessary in the garden or woods to fertilise the trees?

Josiah the Warrior
May 4th, 2005, 08:12 PM
fertilise the trees?
Either that's a typo or you're not an American. And if you're not then for God's sake the first thing I'm going to do when I get rich enough is conquer the world and force everyone to spell things with more z's! You Europeans with your, your 'fertilise' and etc....It's fertilize! God I can't stand it.........just kidding guys :slagar

Hisk
May 4th, 2005, 08:44 PM
It's spelled either way here....

Josiah the Warrior
May 4th, 2005, 09:37 PM
It's spelled either way here....
Yiss yiss but that's Canada, you guys at least get the chance (like America) to separate your culture from those silly Europeans.... :mad: ............hahahah just kiddin' guys (I don't really have a problem with the way Euro's talk, in fact they probly hate the way Americans talk :slagar )

shadowmoon
May 10th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Either that's a typo or you're not an American. And if you're not then for God's sake the first thing I'm going to do when I get rich enough is conquer the world and force everyone to spell things with more z's! You Europeans with your, your 'fertilise' and etc....It's fertilize! God I can't stand it.........just kidding guys :slagar

I'm Australian and spelling "fertilise" with a "z" is wrong for me. What's so good about z's?
and no josiah, i don't have a problem with how Americans speak

Josiah the Warrior
May 10th, 2005, 11:17 PM
I'm Australian and spelling "fertilise" with a "z" is wrong for me. What's so good about z's?
and no josiah, i don't have a problem with how Americans speak
Oh, c'mon, z's are cool! Think how many words have 'z' in them....not many. That's why we Americans add them in wherever we can. And I was kidding about people not liking the way Americans talk (and vice versa). There are enough things people fight over without having to drag something silly like spelling into the mix. :slagar

shadowmoon
May 12th, 2005, 01:38 AM
*shrug* ppl fight over the remote control

Josiah the Warrior
May 12th, 2005, 02:36 PM
*shrug* ppl fight over the remote control
Aye but those holy remote controls have a strange power over the almighty box that everyone worships. :slagar

shadowmoon
May 19th, 2005, 05:39 PM
:lol: not me. Our family TV screwed up and we need to get a new one. I haven't been watching TV for a week

Lukesed
May 21st, 2005, 05:55 PM
Lagomorphia had somethig about this once.

Storm Swiftblade
May 23rd, 2005, 09:57 PM
I've wondered about that too. then I stopped. some things are left out for obvious reasons. Or to confuse eveyone.