PDA

View Full Version : Musicians?

Josiah the Warrior
May 2nd, 2005, 09:51 PM
So is anyone here a musician? I play the drums and sing in a band with my friends. Tell me what you play! :slagar

Hisk
May 2nd, 2005, 09:55 PM
I play the trombone is a jazz band. Mainly we play jazz-fusion/rock, for charity.

LordTBT
May 2nd, 2005, 10:49 PM
Does being a DJ/producer count? :cool:

Josiah the Warrior
May 2nd, 2005, 11:53 PM
It certainly does. That's really cool. Ever heard of Mix-Master Mike?

LordTBT
May 3rd, 2005, 12:39 AM
Probly. I've heard many.

Felldoh
May 3rd, 2005, 07:43 AM
So is anyone here a musician? I play the drums and sing in a band with my friends. Tell me what you play! :slagar

Same as you. :D

Sagrived Switpaw
May 3rd, 2005, 12:00 PM
Replaced piano for Learning bass.
fun fun fun!!!!!!!

Josiah the Warrior
May 3rd, 2005, 03:02 PM
Same as you. :D
You're my kinda guy Felldoh :slagar

Cheesethief
May 3rd, 2005, 03:27 PM
I play piano, but hate practising. One thing I'm great at is listening to a tune, then finding the right chords, and replicating it. My greatest acheivement was Beethoven's 9th. :D

Bladeswift
May 3rd, 2005, 03:35 PM
I find listening to music entertaining, creating it is a different matter entirely.

Wormerwing
May 3rd, 2005, 03:38 PM
Drums, keyboard(sounds cooler than piano) and guitar. I'm in a band, too. We suck though. I'm the lead singer, and uh...

Our drummer, and bass both couldn't play to save their life.

Literally, if the Devil came down ta Louisiana, lookin for a soul to steal...
Neither of them would be gettin a golden fiddle.

Lonna Bowstripe
May 3rd, 2005, 06:22 PM
I play the piano, and I'm pretty good at it too. Anyone here like Rachmaninoff? (Or are Tree and I the wnly ones who've heard of him :p )

Lukesed
May 3rd, 2005, 07:39 PM
I now play the acoustic guitar. I have played the sax and piano in the past.

Lyrian Aryns
May 3rd, 2005, 11:44 PM
I sing. Not particularly well, but at least I don't make folks' eardrums bleed. :p I can also sorta play the piano, though not much beyond simple melodies.

Cheesethief
May 4th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Anyone here like Rachmaninoff? "Listel and Brahms and Rachmaninoff, enjoyed a nice drink with their meal. But nowadays no-one will serve 'em, and their gravy is left to congeal."

Yeah, I have. Are you "good" enough to play his 3rd Piano Concerto?

Ferahgo the Assassin
May 4th, 2005, 03:49 PM
I can play piano and some guitar.

shadowmoon
May 4th, 2005, 05:54 PM
i sing. i used to sing in the school choir but i dont have time anymore to do that.
i love playing the bongoes but i only know a few rthyms :D

Treerose
May 4th, 2005, 09:50 PM
:: pounces:: A music topic! ;)

I'm a musician... classical background, though. ;) Which means I get weird looks and questions like, "So... you can actually make a living doing this?" when people ask what I do. <g> I'm still in school, but taking auditions now (one this Monday, actually), which is fun... all these years of practicing are finally paying off. ;)

I play the piano, and I'm pretty good at it too. Anyone here like Rachmaninoff? (Or are Tree and I the wnly ones who've heard of him :p )

Yeah, I have. Are you "good" enough to play his 3rd Piano Concerto?

Rachmaninov's a great composer. Gorgeous, powerful music. However, the "Rach 3" is overestimated, IMHO, especially after movies like "Shine".... The 2nd piano concerto has much more beautiful melodies and is a better concerto overall, while the technical acrobatics of the third concerto overpower the musical aspect too much for my taste...

Van Cliburn's recording of the 2nd is the best I've ever heard... I've listened it so much, and I never get tired of it. :)

For those who like Rachmaninov, there is a recording of the composer himself playing his compositions on a player piano, which enables us to hear the music EXACTLY like he wanted it to be... it's amazing.

My current favorite composers are John Williams, Ralph Vaughan Williams, Maurice Ravel, and Ludwig van Beethoven, although I've also been taking an interest in the music of Jean Sibelius and Frederick Delius lately, too... Faure is another rather underrated composer I'd like to explore in more depth, as well.... so many composers, so little time! ;)

::hopefully, she asks:: ;) Anyone else like to listen to classical composers, too?

Tree

~~~~

"Rachmaninov was the only pianist I have ever seen who did not grimace. That is a great deal."

~Igor Stravinsky~

Baby Rollo
May 4th, 2005, 10:12 PM
I play the flute and the piano and I know a bit of the guitar.

Jodan
May 5th, 2005, 12:40 PM
I've played trombone for seven years, from 6th-12th grade. I doubt I'll be playing for awhile, but I may eventually pick it up again in a few years. It would be fun to join a jazz group or something like that.

Senav
May 5th, 2005, 04:47 PM
I can't play an instrument to save my life. Wait, I can play the "Jaws" theme on a piano, because it only has two keys... :rolleyes:
I've been told that I can sing, though this was when I was a kid. I haven't tried singing in a while. Does that even count as an instrument? Always been curious about what my voice is. Alto, maybe?

Lonna Bowstripe
May 5th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Rachmaninov's a great composer. Gorgeous, powerful music. However, the "Rach 3" is overestimated, IMHO, especially after movies like "Shine".... The 2nd piano concerto has much more beautiful melodies and is a better concerto overall, while the technical acrobatics of the third concerto overpower the musical aspect too much for my taste...
Personally, I like them both, but I have to agree with you. His 2nd is better than his 3rd, but his 3rd is still good. By the way, can you post a link to anything about his 4th? You never hear about that one.
For those who like Rachmaninov, there is a recording of the composer himself playing his compositions on a player piano, which enables us to hear the music EXACTLY like he wanted it to be... it's amazing.Rachmaninoff plays Rachmaninoff. I was going to download Rhapsody on a theme by Paganani, 18th Varation, with with my MD cap, iTunes has it, but that section happened to be down at the moment. Instead, I got a Cleveland Symphony Orchrasta recording with Vladmier Ashcanszy. (Which is still very good, but I would have preferred Rachmaninoff playing it.

I like to listen to Heavy Rock, but I also like Classical. (Which is why you'll be grooving to my iPod and then, "What the heck what is this?!" Walter Geisiking playing Debussy.) My favorite Classical composers are Rachmaninoff and Debussy; my favorite compositions being Rhapsody on a theme by Paganini and Images 1: Reflects de le sans le'ou. Wow! Tree, we could have some interesting conversations! :) ;)

Talon Baowolf
May 6th, 2005, 06:02 PM
I play the clarinet, but next year I'm going to take up the oboe. I want to play the guitar and piano, but it's not coming along well.

Treerose
May 6th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Personally, I like them both, but I have to agree with you. His 2nd is better than his 3rd, but his 3rd is still good. By the way, can you post a link to anything about his 4th? You never hear about that one.Rachmaninoff plays Rachmaninoff. I was going to download Rhapsody on a theme by Paganani, 18th Varation, with with my MD cap, iTunes has it, but that section happened to be down at the moment. Instead, I got a Cleveland Symphony Orchrasta recording with Vladmier Ashcanszy. (Which is still very good, but I would have preferred Rachmaninoff playing it.

Vladimir Ashkenazy is an amazing pianist, definitely. I haven't heard him playing the Paganini Variations, but I bet it's good, although not like the composer himself would have played it, of course. And if George Szell was conducting... a good mix. :)

About the Fourth... here's some info I found... it's just not as well known as the other three because it's not as good, apparently. ;) From Classical CD Review (http://classicalcdreview.com/rachorig.htm)

The Concerto No. 4 had a long gestation period. Rachmaninoff planned it as early as 1914, but the demands of public performance, moving to America and other obligations limited his time available for composing. The Concerto No. 4 was scheduled to be premiered by the Philadelphia Orchestra (with the composer as soloist of course) in 1926. Rachmaninoff hastened to complete the work, and the event was a disaster. Rachmaninoff, always sensitive to criticism, made a number of cuts and revisions. In 1941 he prepared a "final" version, revising the third movement extensively, and recorded it with Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra. It is understandable why this is the least-performed of Rachmaninoff's concertos; it lacks the big tunes of the second and third, and is his most episodic. In the hands of a superb pianist it can be highly effective; recordings by Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli and Earl Wild surely prove this.

The "original version" of the Fourth Concerto is played by William Black with the Iceland Symphony conducted by Igor Buketoff who provides rather extensive program notes about the manifold difficulties in performing the original score, justifying his altered orchestration. He also opts for slow tempi. As in the First Concerto, there are many changes, some quite major, particularly in the final movement. Buketoff has his Rachmaninoff credentials; he met the composer when but 11 and had considerable contact with him in the following years. He attended rehearsals with the composer in 1927 when Leopold Stokowski was to conduct the premiere in Philadelphia of Three Russian Songs, Op. 41. Some collectors may remember Buketoff's pioneering early '70s RCA recording of Rachmaninoff's The Spring, Op. 20 (LSC 3051).

This site (http://patachonf.free.fr/musique/rachmaninov/ipq.php) also goes more indepth about the concerto. Hope this helps!

I like to listen to Heavy Rock, but I also like Classical. (Which is why you'll be grooving to my iPod and then, "What the heck what is this?!" Walter Geisiking playing Debussy.) My favorite Classical composers are Rachmaninoff and Debussy; my favorite compositions being Rhapsody on a theme by Paganini and Images 1: Reflects de le sans le'ou. Wow! Tree, we could have some interesting conversations! :) ;)

Walter Gieseking's also wonderful, yes, not only as a pianist but as a composer (wrote a very good Sonatine for flute). My flute teacher had a story told to her by her mother, who knew Gieseking... he was giving a piano recital to which he was traveling by train, and he had a new piano piece to play which he had never learned before. He studied it on the train, and played it for the very first time at a piano in the performance....and absolutely perfectly. Like positive thinking for athletes, that's the power the mind has, that one can learn music away from the instrument like that. (This is why I love mental practicing, because I can do it anywhere.)

If you like Debussy, have you tried Ravel? He's another "Impressionist" composer, whose music is really gorgeous and features the same kind of timbres and shimmery colors that Debussy has.

Tree

~~~~~

"You know, the critics never change; I'm still getting the same notices I used to get as a child. They tell me I play very well for my age."

~Mischa Elman- when he was in his seventies~

Cheesethief
May 7th, 2005, 05:44 AM
Rachmaninov's a great composer. Gorgeous, powerful music. However, the "Rach 3" is overestimated, IMHO, especially after movies like "Shine".... The 2nd piano concerto has much more beautiful melodies and is a better concerto overall, while the technical acrobatics of the third concerto overpower the musical aspect too much for my taste... There was a recital of his second a while back. Wish I'd gone to it, as the tickets were free. And I'll agree with you about Shine.

Anyway, I'll bow out now. I like Saint-Saens, Grieg, Sibelius, Beethoven, etc...but this is too deep for me.

MoonShadow
May 7th, 2005, 10:26 AM
I play the violin... gosh, I need to practice today, haven't practiced all week yet because of studying. I used to play the piano... when I was 4, but then I switched to violin. I played the flute for a while, but I stopped once I entered high school....

::hopefully, she asks:: ;) Anyone else like to listen to classical composers, too?
Add me to the list. :) Though my knowledge on composers isn't as extensive as yours. My listenings are just random radio broadcasts. ^^;

Treerose
May 7th, 2005, 12:40 PM
I like Saint-Saens, Grieg, Sibelius, Beethoven, etc...but this is too deep for me.

What Sibelius do you like, Cheesethief? I only ever played his Finlandia, but then I heard a few of his symphonies on the radio... I think he and Grieg are both under-rated composers. Saint-Saens, too... not many people seem to listen to him, either (for those who don't know him, if you've seen the movie "Babe", you'e heard his music <g>). You like good composers! ;)

I play the violin... gosh, I need to practice today, haven't practiced all week yet because of studying. I used to play the piano... when I was 4, but then I switched to violin. I played the flute for a while, but I stopped once I entered high school....

Violinists unite! ;) Except I'm the opposite... I stopped playing violin and only play flute now. It's so sad. My violin case is DUSTY. I never had dust on an instrument case before... I brought it to school with me this year in the hopes that just having it here would prompt me to bring it out once in a while before I lose everything I learned on it, but I never have time...

Add me to the list. Though my knowledge on composers isn't as extensive as yours. My listenings are just random radio broadcasts. ^^;

Well, that's just what I do, too, except for the stuff I play in orchestra or learn on my own. :) I'm lucky to go to school in a city that still has its classical radio station, and a very good one, so I have it on *all* the time. (The one at home didn't have enough funding to stay full-time.)

That's one of the reasons I love classical music so much - it is such a HUGE field with all kinds of music - the term "classical" is just an umbrella heading for a whole world of music that spans several centuries and hundreds of countries. I don't think one can ever fully know all the composers and composition styles, either... you can just keep on learning and exploring it throughout your life. It's like a huge ice cream store with tons of different flavors. If one doesn't like one kind, there's always another to try...there's something for everyone. ;)

...I'll be quiet now. :o

Tree

~~~~~

"Pay no attention to what the critics say; no statue has ever been put up to a critic."

~Jean Sibelius~

Cheesethief
May 10th, 2005, 02:33 PM
What Sibelius do you like, Cheesethief? I only ever played his Finlandia, but then I heard a few of his symphonies on the radio... I think he and Grieg are both under-rated composers. Saint-Saens, too... not many people seem to listen to him, either (for those who don't know him, if you've seen the movie "Babe", you'e heard his music <g>). You like good composers! I like Finlandia, of course, but also his Karelia suite. En Saga wasn't bad either. And everyone's heard Hall of the Mountain King, but nobody knows it's Grieg's, which annoys me! Anyway, Saint-Saens is definitely in my top ten composers.

I forget, was it a piece from Carnival of the Animals they used in Babe? It seems appropriate.