PDA

View Full Version : Summer Movies

Lord Servone
May 8th, 2005, 09:48 PM
Alright apart from the obvious (IE: Star Wars Ep. III, Batman Begins), what are the big movies everybody's looking forward to this movie season? There are some movies that look like real winners (and some real losers too :P). So, what's on your list to watch? Here's my list (in no particular order):

-Kingdom of Heaven (Ridley Scott Crusades epic)
-Cinderella Man (Depression era boxing movie with Russel Crowe)
-Mr. and Mrs. Smith (Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie are assassins trying to kill each other...or something)
-Fantastic Four (this one shouldn't need a description)
-War of the Worlds (Tom Cruise. Steven Spielberg. Aliens attack the earth)
-The Beautiful Country (vietnam refugees come to America)
-Charlie and The Chocolate Factory (fan of the book and the "original film" when I was young; fan of Depp and Burton.)
-Brothers Grimm (movie I've been looking forward to for... it seems like forever! Another Terry Gilliam film finally).
-3001 (Mike Judge comedy. Dumb soldier awakes in future to find out he's the smartest).

There may be some more surprises this summer, but these are ones (for now anyway) are certain ones I'm going to go see. There's a bunch of Hollywood crunk coming out for certain though...I guess there's thread about that stuff already though. I'll add Longest Yard to that list. I mean, it has that stupid You Can Do It Guy in it! It looks like the screenwriters were 12 years old. But it'll still be #1 at the box office...sad.

Cale Yin
May 8th, 2005, 10:25 PM
I've been looking forward to Chocolate Factory since last summer ^_^ Because Johnny is Willy Wonka!!!!!

Rolinko
May 8th, 2005, 11:18 PM
Howl's Moving Castle, by Hayao Miyazaki. It's earned over $200 million in Japan alone (translated from Yen, I expect), but I bet won't break a tenth of that in the USA. It opens wide on the same day Batman Begins. (See the pun?) They both star Christian Bale. How'd that happen, I ponder?
Movies I'm curious about: Unleashed (Jet Li movie); Madagascar (Latest from the Shrekmakers), and I don't feel like naming 'em all off now.

LordTBT
May 8th, 2005, 11:24 PM
Kingdom of Heaven looked like garbage to me, and that's what I heard too.

So far I've seen:

-Crash

-Kung Fu Hustle

Want to see:

-SW3
-War of the Worlds
-Wonka
-Batman Begins
-Fantastic 4

Lord Servone
May 9th, 2005, 12:52 AM
What'd you think of Kung Fu Hustle? I thought it was one of the most stupid things I've ever seen...but I thought it was funny. Though I consider it to be one of the most ridiculous movies I've ever seen...in the theatre anyway.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is another summer movie I've seen already. I know there's a topic about this one (I think so anyway). I thought it was hilarious, though perhaps too British for most American audiences.

I've heard different things about Kingdom of Heaven. I'll see what I think. It'll be a shame if historical epics become less and less...I quite like them (except for Alexander which I detested; one of the three worst movies of 2004). Perhaps they should just be layed off on a bit...we have seen a lot these past few years...

LordTBT
May 9th, 2005, 01:13 AM
What'd you think of Kung Fu Hustle? I thought it was one of the most stupid things I've ever seen...but I thought it was funny. Though I consider it to be one of the most ridiculous movies I've ever seen...in the theatre anyway.

Well, I was expecting a movie like "Kung Pow: Enter the Fist", however it turned out to be just an incredibly weird asian fighting movie. Nothing special really, I didnt find it too funny either.

Rolinko
May 9th, 2005, 02:00 AM
I heard that Kingdom of Heaven was better, at least, than Troy, King Arthur, or Alexander. And that if anybody knows how to do period epics (like Gladiator), it's Ridley Scott.

LordTBT
May 9th, 2005, 02:21 AM
I heard that Kingdom of Heaven was better, at least, than Troy, King Arthur, or Alexander. And that if anybody knows how to do period epics (like Gladiator), it's Ridley Scott.

King Arthur looked like trash, and, just as I suspected, was trash(I havent actually seen it, but many I know have)

That's how I'm viewing Kingdom of Heaven will be.

Alexander flopped or so I heard.

And Troy was just awesome. Better than Troy? That's a pretty cocky call there.

Rolinko
May 9th, 2005, 03:10 AM
I must plead ignorance, as I haven't seen any of them, 'cept Glad. :) Don't kill the messenger.
Ah, go ahead. Kill the messenger. :lol:

Felldoh
May 9th, 2005, 07:48 AM
The only movie I wanna see is Star Wars Episode III.

Lord Servone
May 9th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Troy (which was great, even if it took a lot of liberties with the myth) and Alexander did not do too well in the US but aparently they made more than their money back abroad. (Though Alexander didn't deserve to). I actually liked King Arthur (I don't know if it made its money back or not abroad, I assume it did, since it is King Arthur)...the director's cut was better. It wasn't great but it wasn't terrible. It had good action sequences. It didn't have great substance and had one of the worst lines I've ever heard uttered in a movie ("A round table? What demonry is this?") but it was entertaining enough...we've had this topic before (almost a year ago, I think) so I won't go much more into it.

Grath
May 9th, 2005, 01:55 PM
A friend of mine and I were talking and we both agree that there are a lot of good movies that we both should see together this summer. We both want to see Star Wars Episode 3, Kingdom of Heaven (Only because Orlando Bloom is in it, my friend goes ga ga for him for some reason) Batman Begins, Willie wonka and the chocolate factory, and War of the Worlds (Actually I'm the one who wants to see it, she doesn't because for some reason she thinks Tom Cruise is a bad actor)

I already saw The Hitchhikers Guide to the galaxy and thought it was very good though since my mom had never read the books or even heard of it, she found it stupid and terrible. :eek:

Martin the Warrior
May 9th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Revenge of the Sith, Batman Begins, and Howl's Moving Castle are pretty much it on my "Summer Movie" list. I would like to get in to see Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, though.

Movies like Fantastic Four and/or War of the Worlds I'm content to wait for a rental.

Few more in the winter (like Narnia and possibly HP4), but this is about Summer Flicks. ;)

Jandura
May 9th, 2005, 03:42 PM
I'm waiting for War of the Worlds, and I am definitely going to see SW3.

LadyBeelze
May 9th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Star Wars Episode 3, Howl's Moving Castle (If it even comes to a theater in Utah *sniff* ) , and the FullMetal Alchemist movie (In japan's theaters of course but I'll find a way to get my hands on a subtitled version.. mm). Other than that, nothing really. =/

Badrang3
May 9th, 2005, 05:14 PM
The only movies I'm looking forward to are Star Wars and Batman Begins. I definately will not be seeing Kingdom of Heaven. The Crusades are a pretty iffy thing to be making a movie about.

Cale Yin
May 9th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Narnia??? Harry Potter??? Fullmetal Alchemist?!?!?!?! BEELZEY, GET ME A COPY TOO!!!!!! PLEEEEEASE??? I just finished the series (subtitled) 20 minutes ago. It was amazing. Did anyone else see the whole thing?

Josiah the Warrior
May 9th, 2005, 06:42 PM
The Crusades are a pretty iffy thing to be making a movie about.
How so? I mean I know they are about a war between Europe and the Middle East but as long as they don't portray the Middle Easterners as "savages", drag modern politics into it or insult their culture (which I doubt they'll do) I think it has potential to be entertaining. Not good, entertaining. War+Hollywood=mostly interesting. Classic formula.

Bladeswift
May 9th, 2005, 06:58 PM
How so? I mean I know they are about a war between Europe and the Middle East but as long as they don't portray the Middle Easterners as "savages", drag modern politics into it or insult their culture (which I doubt they'll do) I think it has potential to be entertaining. Not good, entertaining. War+Hollywood=mostly interesting. Classic formula.
You have no idea what the Crusades were fought about, or what occured during them them, do you?

Still, this movie doesn't look like that's going to be the focus of it (from what I've seen, anyway). Just your average movie about guys with pointy weapons fighting other guys with equally pointy weapons.

Josiah the Warrior
May 9th, 2005, 07:04 PM
You have no idea what the Crusades were fought about, or what occured during them them, do you?
Pope Urban the something(was it the II or the III, I always forget) wants holy land back (aka Jerusalem) and tells his army to fight the Muslims for control of it and won. Conquered more than they thought and occupied it for awhile. Awhile later 2 more crusades but Muslims win them both. That's it in a nutshell as far as I can remember.

p.s. my first post was the war in a very very basic nutshell

Bladeswift
May 9th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Pope Urban the something(was it the II or the III, I always forget) wants holy land back (aka Jerusalem) and tells his army to fight the Muslims for control of it and won. Conquered more than they thought and occupied it for awhile. Couple hundred years later 2 more crusades but Muslims win them both. That's it in a nutshell as far as I can remember
A series of hundreds of campaigns that involved rape, murder, and pillage all for a religious group that prided themselves as being holy and righteous and who wanted to wipe out an entire people that they deemed as evil. That's why the Crusades are so controversial to most people, and why it's risky to be making a film based off them. But as I said, this film doesn't seem to focus on that.

Josiah the Warrior
May 9th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Very true, Bladeswift. But let's get back to the topic of films before a Catholic jumps in and starts argueing with you/us.

On another note, Orlando Bloom needs to either shave or thicken his mustache. Its current density makes him look like a ah *glances at rules of forum*, like a wimp. Yes. A wimp :slagar

p.s. and in case anyone is wondering I'm not the only one crazy enough to care about his mustache, my friends agree :slagar

LordTBT
May 9th, 2005, 08:50 PM
How so? I mean I know they are about a war between Europe and the Middle East but as long as they don't portray the Middle Easterners as "savages", drag modern politics into it or insult their culture (which I doubt they'll do)

Well it wouldnt be very realistic if they didnt portray the Middle Easterners as savages, because thats how the Knights viewed them.

And let's not forget the Middle Easterners STARTED the Crusades.

LadyBeelze
May 9th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Narnia??? Harry Potter??? Fullmetal Alchemist?!?!?!?! BEELZEY, GET ME A COPY TOO!!!!!! PLEEEEEASE??? I just finished the series (subtitled) 20 minutes ago. It was amazing. Did anyone else see the whole thing?

*raises hand* I have, natrually. The ending was so open so I hope this movie will tie up all the lose ends and be slightly more happy. But if you're serious I'd be more than willing to send you a copy when I aquire mine eh.

Bladeswift
May 9th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Well it wouldnt be very realistic if they didnt portray the Middle Easterners as savages, because thats how the Knights viewed them.
But what if it weren't told from the Crusader's point of view?

And let's not forget the Middle Easterners STARTED the Crusades. I am recalled to the days of my youth when my brother and I would try to beat the living daylights out of each other. Upon being caught by our mother, my brother would always shout in defiance "Well he started it!" which was, of course, true, but changed nothing.

In case anyone cares (which I seriously doubt) I will be seeing Kingdom of Heaven if anything because I am a lover of medieval warfare. But I don't expect much. I might see War of the Worlds, but that's undecided.

Josiah the Warrior
May 9th, 2005, 09:18 PM
And let's not forget the Middle Easterners STARTED the Crusades.
Uhh maybe my history needs some brushing up but didn't Pope Urban the whichever order his armies to attack the Middle East, initiating the war with the first offensive strike?

Bladeswift
May 9th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Uhh maybe my history needs some brushing up but didn't Pope Urban the whichever order his armies to attack the Middle East, initiating the war with the first offensive strike?
Muslims had control over Jerusalem, Turks defeated the Byzantines (a Christian nation), and viola! Crusade!

Lord Servone
May 9th, 2005, 09:38 PM
For the record, the movie, KoH, or so I heard, doesn't portray the Crusades as a battle of religious ideals but more as a territorial dispute... the Crusades really were a combination of both. The movie doesn't take a side in the conflict. All in all, I heard that the makers were very respectful.
This is all based on what I've heard, so I may be wrong. I'll find out when I go see it.

Lonna Bowstripe
May 9th, 2005, 09:47 PM
I want to see Kingdom of Heaven, seeing as I studied the Crusades last year. Waiting for SWIII and War of the Worlds.

Josiah the Warrior
May 9th, 2005, 09:49 PM
I want to see Kingdom of Heaven, seeing as I studied the Crusades last year. Waiting for SWIII and War of the Worlds.
Lookin' forward to those war movies, eh my bloodthirsty mate? (We all do :slagar )

The Red Badger
May 10th, 2005, 12:09 AM
For the record, the movie, KoH, or so I heard, doesn't portray the Crusades as a battle of religious ideals but more as a territorial dispute... the Crusades really were a combination of both. The movie doesn't take a side in the conflict. All in all, I heard that the makers were very respectful.
This is all based on what I've heard, so I may be wrong. I'll find out when I go see it.

That's what I've heard, too. They portray it as a political struggle (which is an entirely plausible view for someone on the frontline, so to speak) rather than religious.

I think I'll pass, though. I'm getting a little tired of seeing Orlando Bloom with a sword (way to avoid being typecast, kiddo. :p) Liam Neeson might have convinced me, but I'll settle for him in Batman. :shades:

Hisk
May 10th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Lookin' forward to those war movies, eh my bloodthirsty mate? (We all do :slagar )

Uck, I saw KOH and it was a bit of a dissapiontement. :(

Josiah the Warrior
May 10th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Not that surprising....but pray tell why? :slagar

Hisk
May 10th, 2005, 08:42 PM
The whole plot literally did not make sense...it was too unbelievable...and kind of weak. As for the battle scenes, they were a bit corny. On the whole it was O.K, but still, I'm not buying the DVD!

Cale Yin
May 10th, 2005, 09:45 PM
*raises hand* I have, natrually. The ending was so open so I hope this movie will tie up all the lose ends and be slightly more happy. But if you're serious I'd be more than willing to send you a copy when I aquire mine eh.

Yeah, I want my "happily ever after". :p I swap makeup with some ladies in Japan and Singapore; I'll see if they can get me copy (me paying of course). If they can't, or I can't find one to do it, I'll ask you, and thanks for offering :) You can always say no. I might just be a creepy old man. :redsy
Not that you're 'not good enough', or 'i don't trust you,' it's nothing like that, but is it okay to sell movies to strangers if you're a minor? :p or buy a movie from... oh never mind. I just didn't want it to be taken the wrong way.

LordTBT
May 10th, 2005, 10:09 PM

Told ya so. :D

In the immortal words of Ali G: "Booyakasha!"

Cheesethief
May 11th, 2005, 01:36 PM
'Spect, mon. Big up the Michigan massive!

Anyway, there aren't actually that many good films this summer. I'll see all the obvious ones (SW, WotW, CatCF) but some of these big films don't sound great. I'll probably see The Fantastic Four though, mainly because I saw them fiming the ski bit. It was impressive without the special effects. And I chucked a snowball at a cameraman. Maybe they'll put "Annoying Punter" in the credits. That'd be cool.

Josiah the Warrior
May 11th, 2005, 04:03 PM
And I chucked a snowball at a cameraman. Maybe they'll put "Annoying Punter" in the credits. That'd be cool.
You were actually there? The first time I read that I thought you meant a trailer, but that's really cool. I didn't know they were filming in Scottland.

Cheesethief
May 12th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Nah, it was in Canada. They were filming a big ski jump sequence. Still, it was cool. One of the cameras was directly beneath the chairlift to the peak, so I chucked a snowball at this guy. 'Twas cool indeed. Yet immature.