PDA

View Full Version : Slagar: In DESPERATE Need of Help

Slagar the Cruel
January 9th, 2003, 08:12 PM
Some of you may have heard about my site, STCP, or visited it... it's a Redwall site I've been running for about a year. Recently, it moved from Angelfire to a new host - Nelie.org. Unfortunately, Nelie.org has gone offline. I can't access my site through FTP anymore - leaving my site unchangable. I definately need to move again. (How I'll publicize that move without updating is a different matter - one I intend to solve later.) Yet I can think of nowhere to go! :eek:

So... does anybody know of a good FTP-friendly host I could try?

dandin1
January 10th, 2003, 07:03 AM
hmm... I remember this place called something like "coolfreehost" hmm, no that's not it...

Cornflower
January 11th, 2003, 06:18 PM
Tripod has always worked for me.
http://www.tripod.com
When you build with Site Builder, you can get a multi page website for free. :slagar

Martin the Warrior
January 11th, 2003, 09:02 PM
Can't say I do. Free webhosting has drastically declined over the years (right along with the internet itself, it seems). Not even longtime providers like Geocities, Angelfire, etc. are all that great anymore.

AOL webspace served me well for over six years (with FTP access), but you'd need AOL itself to get that space (no AOL bashing from anybody, this is hardly the time or the place).

If I were you, I'd check into seeing if your current provider offers either free webspace with your service or whether you can get such space for a marginal fee. Then, I suppose, it's only a matter of convincing your parents/the ones who pay the bill. ;)

Slagar the Cruel
January 11th, 2003, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the advice. :) I'm thinking about taking your suggestion of buying webspace, Martin... I really haven't had any luck with finding an alternate solution. I'm beginning to think that the space is worth a couple of dollars a month...

dandin1
January 12th, 2003, 10:39 AM
yes, alot of ISPs gives a webspace with their service, like the one i'm using (it's sympatico.ca)

Cornflower, from what your saying about tripod, it's a joke... Did you say that you can only have one file if you don't use their s[tinky] program?

*has a feeling that bold part in martin's post was directed to him:o *

Laughing Otter
January 12th, 2003, 11:04 AM
If you are considering buying space, you should buy a domain name. You can register one for $8.95/year at GoDaddy.Com and host it at Uzipp.Com for $15/year. If you don't want a domain, you should go to FreeWebSpace.Net or ClickHereFree.Com. They are both good, searchable host directories. I hope you find a host that you like! I love STCP, BTW.

Slagar the Cruel
January 12th, 2003, 05:25 PM
If you are considering buying space, you should buy a domain name. You can register one for $8.95/year at GoDaddy.Com and host it at Uzipp.Com for $15/year. If you don't want a domain, you should go to FreeWebSpace.Net or ClickHereFree.Com. They are both good, searchable host directories.
Thanks, Laughing Otter. If anything, though, I think I'll use Feature Price - 50 MB of CGI-enabled, FTP-linked, 99.9% online (pretty much all you can ask for) webspace (not to mention 3 e-mail accounts and some other stuff) for 4.95 a month... it's just perfect for me. :)

I hope you find a host that you like! I love STCP, BTW.Hey, thanks! :slagar

Martin the Warrior
January 12th, 2003, 05:51 PM
That sounds like a pretty good deal, Slagar. It's rather liberating to become master of your own domain (pun intended). ;)

Just be sure to research the provider beyond checking their site before signing on the dotted line (so to speak). If you can get in touch with somebody they host already to get a firsthand account of how they do business, all the better.

Good luck.

dandin1
January 12th, 2003, 06:27 PM
Also keep in mind that it's better to go to a canadian host.

For example, if you have two hosts that have exactly the same features and both seem both good, and both charge 10$, go for the Canadian one, because 10$CAD is smaller than 10$us!

Mackinsie
January 14th, 2003, 12:34 PM
Slagar: In DESPERATE Need of Help
I've been saying that for years! ;)

Be sure to post your new address in the website forum. :)

Slagar the Cruel
January 14th, 2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Mackinsie
I've been saying that for years! ;)Ouch. ;)

Be sure to post your new address in the website forum. :) Yeah, sure... the Website forum's the one called "The Writer's Block", right? ;)