PDA

View Full Version : Like OMG this is so horrible..

LadyBeelze
May 14th, 2005, 08:46 PM
NOT. *sigh* The human biology class at my school got to see a dog disected while it was alive a couple weeks ago and two people freaked out and complained to their parents who sent in angry letters to all of Utah's news channels. And now this is blown so out of porportion. News are saying that this was "Animal Cruelty" and "sending a terrible message to young people". What a load of bull! The dog was going to be put down anyway since it was a vicious animal that attacked all of it's owners. The purpouse of it was so the people in the class could see how organs and things worked while it was alive. And the dog was drugged, asleep and and didn't feel anything. *shakes head* People are so stupid now days..

Sorry for this thread, I just need somewhere to rant about it >< It also upsets me that the school has said they won't do something like this again and I was looking forward to taking this class next year. Now it'll probably be a "notes only" class. How boring :mad:

GHS has received angry phone calls since news reports that biology students witnessed surgical exploration of an anesthetized dog before it was euthanized.

District officials said such demonstrations will not be performed again.

``It's an unfortunate incident and one we don't condone or defend,'' district Superintendent Jim Petersen said.

School officials said the operation, allowing the students to see the dog's digestive system, was performed by a veterinarian on an anesthetized Rottweiler scheduled to be euthanized.

``The dog had no feeling as to what was going on. The dog did not suffer,'' said GHS Principal .

``Most of the students said it was a 'positive learning experience,''' the principal said.

Peterson said the Rottweiler came into the veterinarian's care after a family that adopted it noticed the dog threatening children. The veterinarian couldn't find a home for the dog and decided it had to be put down, he said.

The veterinarian knew the class's substitute teacher–a retired 30-year veteran of the school that still fills in sometimes–and approached him about teaching the students on a live dog before it was euthanized, Peterson said.

Peterson said eight of the nine students in the class received parental consent to go on the trip, and the other student did alternative work.

The students left after seeing the operation and the veterinarian euthanized the dog.

After news reports, the high school and district administrators were flooded with telephone calls alleging animal cruelty and saying the incident was ``sending a terrible message'' to young people.

The Humane Society of Utah said, ``We feel that both the instructor and the veterinarian involved in this case used extremely poor judgment all around.''

``We apologize to anyone who feels the dog was hurt in any way,'' Anderson said.

Lonna Bowstripe
May 14th, 2005, 08:59 PM
I feel the same way as you, Beelze. I wish I could have seen that…
And it's not animal crultey at all! The dog was unconsious! I mean, what the heck?

Lord Mask
May 14th, 2005, 09:03 PM
It was just a animal, why did they make a big deal about it? :confused:

Cale Yin
May 14th, 2005, 09:04 PM
That was your school? I heard about this. I remember thinking, poor dog (with many other violent thoughts including cursewords), until I read it was being euthanized in the first place, and I would only have a problem with this if the dog felt any pain or discomfort or fear. I do not know for sure, since it says the dog was anesthetized. It sounds like there is a communication problem on all sides: the people that are angry are not listening, and the vet and teacher and principal are not explaining enough and are not projecting a very knowledgable image or something.

Bladeswift
May 14th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Yeah. I'm sure the idiots over at PETA are celebrating.

Josiah the Warrior
May 14th, 2005, 10:32 PM
I can see why people would be offended, but if the dog wasn't concious or feeling any pain then I have no problem with it....

PiarasJ
May 14th, 2005, 10:41 PM
It's just like giving any other dog (or person) open surgery. Silly, silly people.

Cinnabarr Rivershell
May 14th, 2005, 11:40 PM
Beelze, I heard about this the other day. And when I heard that it was in Utah, you were the first person to come to my mind. Actually, you are the only person that I know who lives in Utah, so every time I think of Utah, I think of you.

Anyways, wow! I can't believe that it was your school, plus I was thinking about you when I heard it too! What a coincidence.

As for my thoughts on the matter, I feel that the dog, even if it was to be euthanized, should not have been used for disection study. Hearts pump blood, lungs move up and down, insides look pink and red with the occasional blue. What more do you really need to know?

I also feel that this High School class was being a little over zealous. Disecting a dog, man's best friend, for a bunch of little high schoolers? Sounds a little strange to me. Had this been a University Biology class then matters would perhaps be a little different.

Dogs are extremely important to our society. The reason a lot of people are getting so riled up over this is the fact that they do not like the idea of an animal of such high status and ranking as that of our good ole' friend the dog being cut up on a table by kids.

Aleisou Swiftpounce
May 15th, 2005, 04:27 AM
I'm not all against this - I mean, if the dog was harmful and nobody wanted it, it had to be put down. I'm just curious why it couldn't be put down first, then disected?

I mean, obviously our squeamish society is going to be more comfortable with dead animals being cut up than alive animals - I know I would.
I don't really know much about this subject, though... I'm just asking a question.

Bladeswift
May 15th, 2005, 08:32 AM
I'm not all against this - I mean, if the dog was harmful and nobody wanted it, it had to be put down. I'm just curious why it couldn't be put down first, then disected?

The teacher wanted the students to see how the organs function while the body is still alive.

The reason a lot of people are getting so riled up over this is the fact that they do not like the idea of an animal of such high status and ranking as that of our good ole' friend the dog being cut up on a table by kids.
The kids weren't operating on the animal at all. They just watched.

Cheesethief
May 15th, 2005, 09:09 AM
The human biology class at my school got to see a dog disected while it was alive a couple weeks ago The human bio class?

Anyway, trust Americans. :p

Mackinsie
May 15th, 2005, 10:59 AM
We do not need to have another animal rights debate, so I am locking this thread.

I would, however, like to caution you against using slippery slope arguments like "it's just a dog". World War II happened because "It's just a Jew". Slavery existed because "It's just a Negro"...

That the dog was going to be euthanised is immaterial, as was the fact that it was anesthetized. You could say the same thing about inmates on Death Row. After all, they're going to be executed... why not wheel them into class, anesthetize them, and show kids how a human body works by dissecting him while he's still alive?

I'd hoped this generation would have better character.

Regardless, this topic is closed. Have a nice day.

BTW-- that word is covered by "any facsimile". Don't use it again.