PDA

View Full Version : Summer

Cinnabarr Rivershell
May 26th, 2005, 10:26 PM
I expect the title of this thread to give away the content to be found in it. We will be discussing yellow wart toads and their ecological effects on the environment. Do you guys think that the new Swamp Land Act passed by Congress this Wednesday will take away vital habitats for the yellow wart toads? We were talking about this in Biology class, and I feel that........SIKE!!!!

Anyways, yes this thread is about Summer!!!! So what are your plans? What are you looking forward to? Pour your life into this thread. Let's make it juicy and chunky!!!! Okay, I am getting weirder by the day. :o I just can't control my self.

As for me, this summer is going to be a blast. Everyday starting tomorrow I'm going to wake up at 6:30 am so I can go running in the morning with my friends. We're getting ready for Cross Country season. In fact we're going for first place in our league this year, so I'm really looking forward to getting ready for it. I'm going to try to run 400-500 miles this summer. Oh, by the way, just to rant, this year in Track I shaved my time for the one-mile (1600 meter) down to 4:54 minutes!!! By senior year, I'm going to try and break 4:25. *Rant over*

After Cross Country practice, I'll have to take a quick shower, and then go to my World History 2 class, which starts at 9:00 am. I'm taking this class for 5-6 weeks. Stalin and Hitler here I come!

Every Monday and Wednesday after my World History class is over; I'm going to go over to St. Mary's Medical Center to complete my Christian Service Requirement (100 hours). Most high schoolers leave it to their Junior year, but I like to get things done early, so I'll just get it out of the way this summer, so I won't have to worry about it for next summer or the summer after that. On Fridays and Saturdays, I'll go to work to make money for that car I'm saving up for.

Speaking of cars....this summer I'm getting my driver's license (that is if I pass the test)! On August 2nd I'll be turning 16, and by then I will have had my permit for 6 months so I'll be able to take the test! I can't wait.

Unfortunately, I'm not going on any trips this summer, nor am I going to Boy Scout camp. I just couldn't fit them into my schedule.

Well, that's my summer for you. Now let's hear yours!!!

Badrang3
May 26th, 2005, 10:29 PM
I really want to get a job so I can afford a video camera so I can spend the rest of my summer making claymation movies. Of course, that's what I WANT to do. What I want and what I'll probably do are two entirely different things.

Cale Yin
May 26th, 2005, 11:07 PM
My summer started May 5, and I've been so lazy. I needed a break though.
This summer I intend to:
Learn to knit
Learn to drive a stick shift
Make a good amount of seed bead jewelry for myself
Do NOT buy any more tank tops
Get a job that pays at least $8 an hour
Walk 1 hour a day (my knees are bad, it hurts if I run regularly)/do Yoga/Pilates/some mixture of physical activity)
Unpack all the stuff from my dorm eventually
Don't get sunburned
Go to beach with family June 14
Get my dad's 50th birthday present (his birthday is June 4! ack!! not enough time)
Purchase Scrubs: Season 1; The Adventures of Pete & Pete on DVD; Coldplay's new album; a pair of khaki pants suitable for work

I can't think of any more right now.

Baby Rollo
May 26th, 2005, 11:45 PM
Rollo's Summer Goals! ^_^

1. Practice my martial arts
2. Learn how to shoot guns
3. Help my parents
4. And most important, have fun!

LordTBT
May 27th, 2005, 12:33 AM
Working, like each and every one of you should be ;)

Jodan
May 27th, 2005, 01:13 AM
Let's see, just enoying my final two months with my friends who've become like brothers and sisters to me before we all go to our different colleges. I'm also trying to find a job at the moment (no one around here wants to hire me), 'cause I need to make some $$$ so I have some to spend in college, when I probably won't have time to work much.

PiarasJ
May 27th, 2005, 03:06 AM
What will I be doing this Summer...I mean Winter....?

Tomorrow I'm going South to pick up a car I bought. I'm a bit nervous because I haven't even seen it yet, but a good friend took it for a test drive and I called the garage that serviced it regularly to ask about it. It seems good, but I'm not handing over the cash until I'm satisfied. It's a Ford Laser Wagon, white, manual, towbar, roofracks, bike rack.

ANYway, back to Winter plans.

Go snowboarding.
Go camping at the lakes with whoever will come with me, to go fishing.
Buy good earphones.
Pay for my sister's discman. It's been sitting on my drawing board for over a year now and I feel like I should buy it from her rather than borrow it indefinately. She keeps telling me not to pay her, but...ah well.

Lord Servone
May 27th, 2005, 03:28 AM
Summer plans

1) try to make money and not loose it all before school starts again (that includes, as planned thus far, recycling cans, selling stuff on e-bay, and having a garage sale).
2) I'm in a production of A Comedy of Errors as part of an outdoor Shakespeare Festival.
3)Soon, I will be taking a biology class in order to get extra credits out of the way. I'm kind having second thoughts about doing this but I have no choice.
4) Hopefully get notified for a potential audition.
5) Get some reading and writing done as well as get around to watching my stack of DVDs.
6) I think there's a wedding somewhere this summer too...not sure though

And Caleyin...I've been out of school since the end of April and I still haven't unpacked a lot of my stuff. The only stuff I've unpacked really is stuff I needed. That's why I haven't shaved for a while (like anybody here would notice xP).

Ferahgo the Assassin
May 27th, 2005, 07:19 AM
I've spent more than enough summers working - so for this one, I don't need to so I'm not. I'm going to try my best to actually enjoy my last summer vacation before college. More than likely I'm going to spend a week or so in Washington, DC and probably visit friends and relatives in Virginia and Michigan.

I really have no specific summer goals other than to draw more and get through a stack of books I haven't had time to read during school.

Felldoh
May 27th, 2005, 07:46 AM
Hmm...

- Work
- Pay off car
- Go to a couple weddings
- Family reunion
- Lose some weight

Bladeswift
May 27th, 2005, 07:46 AM
I've been out since Wednesday. Except for the days I work, I plan to:

Stay up til at least 5:00am
Sleep in til at least 12:00pm
When it comes in season, start hunting squirrel
Read
Possibly write
Actually ingest real food (School lunch is the nastiest stuff)

Basils #1 fan
May 27th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Schools out for me also!It's great!

Kratos
May 27th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Just going to live at the pool and local tennis courts.Yup.

LadyBeelze
May 27th, 2005, 12:28 PM
- Get a new job. Don't get me wrong, I love cooking at this local fast food place right now but the place is going bankrupt and I want to get out before it gets worse. Most people are getting their paychecks a week or two weeks later and that's not really good. Bad thing is there aren't a whole lot of job openings in this area. What's probably going to happen is I'll work at the grocery store like everyone else in my grade. Woopee, that sounds so fun! Bagging is like my life dream, y'know! The thrill and rush from putting food into a bag is like none other..

- Eat breakfast. Haven't ate it for a year and It's a bad habit. I really need to start having it again..

- Earn money to fix the darn little truck. It's been a year since I've got my driving license and I still don't have a vehicle that I can use. Sooo frustrating. But with the gas prices as high as they are, maybe it's a good thing ..

- Ride bike around town every morning. Urgh..need to stay in shape. And no, I'm not fat. 102 pounds hardly qualifys as fat. But I get out of breath too easily, I am ashamed..

And just take it easy and enjoy my last summer before I have to go to college.

May 30th I'm going to Aspen Grove for three days, it's a church activity and it's going to be loads of fun. Yup. And then another church activity less than a week later, this one for four days. We're going to goblin valley (Really pretty rocks and formations. Red rocks are sooo pretty. Though it makes me sad since this was the last time I saw this Church leader before she got in a major accident and is now mentally retarded. *cries*, then a hike through this valley with all our personal belongings on our backs for 7 miles, and the last two days we're rafting on the Colorado river. I canít wait.

I also want to go visit my relatives in California this summer for two weeks. The beach is my favorite place to go to. And thatís my rantings of the day. eh

Martin the Warrior
May 27th, 2005, 03:06 PM
I can't think of any more right now.

::thwaps Caleyin with Yoda's walking stick:: You forgot "Rent the original Star Wars movies like Martin told me to". ;)

Cale Yin
May 27th, 2005, 03:30 PM
*rubs head* Oh yeah! ;) Actually I do mean to do that.
Also, I had no time during the school year to finish the Michael Stackpole DragonCrown (?) series- wasn't there a fourth book, and you said it was in some other form (other than paperback)? Is it in paperback yet?

Hisk
May 27th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Pretty much as soon as my exams are over I'm headed off to Florida with my familly. More specifically, Orlando. That's for about a week, then I get back to Toronto for a few days. Afterwards, I head to France with a list of people that reads like a list of "Top 20 most likely to be arrested for drunkedness, public mischief, and possession of illegal substances." What a month that will be. When I get back....summers pretty much over.

Martin the Warrior
May 27th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Also, I had no time during the school year to finish the Michael Stackpole DragonCrown (?) series- wasn't there a fourth book, and you said it was in some other form (other than paperback)? Is it in paperback yet?

Yes, all the DragonCrown books are now in paperback. The Dark Glory War (prelude), Fortress Draconis (book one), When Dragons Rage (book two), and The Grand Crusade (book three).

Michael has since moved on and released the first book in a new trilogy called Age of Discovery. The book's title is A Secret Atlas-- and is actually more interesting than DragonCrown, at least as far as the world is concerned. (Just something nice about not having some evil king/queen always on the verge of invading.) The story centers around a family of royal cartographers and creating accurate maps of uncharted areas is the main thrust of the story. Great stuff. It was only recently released, though, so trade paperback ($15) is the only format it's available in. Just one more book to add to the mix. ;)

Lonna Bowstripe
May 28th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Be lazy when I'm not working. That's it. ;)

Kreeve
May 29th, 2005, 07:34 AM
I will go to Holland to visit all my family
and doing fun,lazy things! :D

Cheesethief
May 30th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Well, I might be taking a friend to stay in Devon for a few weeks, in a house with a tennis court and swimming pool, followed by a stint in a cottage on a private island off Land's End, where the sun [usually] shines, and after that several weeks of reading till dawn, film-watching sprees (I'm planning to see all the Star Wars in order, if the DVD of III is out by then, that is), lazing by the tennis court, some swimming at the local pool, meeting mates, going up to the reservoir for some fishing, exploring the tunnel under the dam there, and general lazing about.

Josiah the Warrior
May 30th, 2005, 02:27 PM
This summer I am very pleased to announce I'll be heading up to Princeton University for 3 weeks. It's part of a summer academic program where students are offered (I guess based on standardized test scores...) certain academic opportunities in different colleges around the states, I chose Princeton. During those three weeks, I'll be taking college courses for college credit, those seven classes include Forensics (the next Gil Grissom? :slagar ) and Philosophy. I can't wait. In more relaxing news I will also be travelling down to Myrtle Beach for a couple weeks with a friend or two to chill and have fun. Other than that, I forsee lots of movies, eating, being lazy and band practice in my foreseeable future.... :slagar

Cale Yin
May 30th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Josiah, when are you going to Myrtle Beach? I've been there twice a year every year of my life. I'm going June 15-18 or so with my family.

Josiah the Warrior
May 30th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Oh, cool! I go with my friend who goes annually in the summer, and we usually go in early July, but this year it's gonna be in August, not sure when yet. I hope you have fun, mate. :slagar

Grath
May 30th, 2005, 05:48 PM
I'll be taking a math class this summer. :(

I want a job but so far no one has hired me. :(

Besides that stuff I'm just gonna hang out at home, work out, and maybe finish that Comes a Badger Warrior sequal that I seemed to have lost interest in.

shadowmoon
May 30th, 2005, 05:50 PM
awww man, it's winter here and I'm still at school. But in a few weeks we're going overnight to Canberra for a science excursion so that'll be cool

Russus Robur
May 30th, 2005, 07:36 PM
After the 30 some days of 12 to 16 hour days of packing, moving, unpacking and having a large garage sell this weekend, I ready for a summer break of doing nothing for a week or two. The family even put celebrating my B-day on hold until today. Today was the first day that we did not have to do anything involved with moving. As for going any place, my mom and I are driving down to Florida to a wedding we are involved with. Plans are to go straight down spend 2 weeks then take our time coming back and spend some time around Charlotte and Gastonia N. Carolina and the mountains of Virginia before returning home. While down in Florida and not busy with wedding prep, I will most likely lay out by the pool to read or sleep. :D

Furrtil
May 30th, 2005, 08:44 PM
I'll volunteer at the humane society, because I'll finally be old enough for that
I'm trying to teach myself calculus - we'll see how that goes :rolleyes:
I'm going to take a couple ballet classes at a pre-professional school :D They'll probably wipe the floor with me -- and they better have AC
I'll go to a summer program at Tufts to learn about being a vet and I'll get to follow around 4th year students in their hospital shifts and whatnot. :D

Nora the Rover
May 30th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Attempt to get a job - which, currently, I'm failing miserably at...
Write more
Try to get more school credit by taking online classes...
Go on plenty of hiking, river-rafting, and mountain climbing trips.
Go to my last year of summer camp for one week.
Actually get up to courage to go on the new roller coaster at a nearby amusement park...
Read all the books on my summer reading list for my AP Literature Class. (Most of which I've already read, thankfully...)

Hisk
May 30th, 2005, 09:17 PM
I'm trying to teach myself calculus
Yuck...I'm learning grade 12 calc next year. It promises to be quite painful.

Furrtil
May 30th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Heh... I haven't gotten very far in the book. The only thing I can do so far is find the derivitaves of stuff like 5x^4, and once I have the derivitave I have no idea what to do with it. More work to do, certainly. :rolleyes:

Ferahgo the Assassin
May 31st, 2005, 08:13 AM
Teaching yourself calculus? That's impressive. I would suggest starting with limits and the idea of rate-of-change before diving into derivatives. Fun, though, isn't it? ;)

Hisk
May 31st, 2005, 04:05 PM
AHHHH *head knock* *head knock* *head knock* *head knock*

PiarasJ
June 1st, 2005, 12:19 AM
I can count to four.

Furrtil
June 1st, 2005, 01:53 PM
Ah, yes, I've done a little bit with limits and I've done rate of change. It's just that we also talked about this in my Pre-calculus class this year, so I didn't really consider it new.

I can count to four.
Awesome! I'll give you five cookies, in that case.

Grath
June 1st, 2005, 03:02 PM
I can count to four.

Oh that's nothing. I can count to G!!!!!!!

PiarasJ
June 1st, 2005, 07:46 PM
Awesome! I'll give you five cookies, in that case.Hey! Don't even think about ripping me off. I want at least three. :p

A friend of mine wants to take a course at college that will teach him to count to G, but he couldn't fill out the enrollment form. ;)

Arrr....I can't wait until Summer, we had the first big frost this morning, it was very sad and final, as if the weather was saying, "That's all, no more t-shirts for the next few months."

What sort of fish do you catch when you go fishing Cheesethief? I haven't been freshwater fishing in years, so if I go this year I'll need to buy a license. I'd love to try flyfishing, because often when we go fishing for Australian Salmon (actually a type of mullet) on the East Coast you catch one almost before your lure hits the water, so I need a bit of a challenge on days like that. Other days you don't get a bite and I feel like a nuke of some kind would be rather handy, but I don't think you're allowed to use WMD's for recreational purposes in Australia.

Sagrived Switpaw
June 1st, 2005, 09:18 PM
For me, look into a job, HAVE FUN, live in my 9ft pool and work on my clutterd room.

(Not out of school yet! Man this stinks, hold on swit just 17 more days.)

Hisk
June 1st, 2005, 09:44 PM
Haha...i've got two, then exams.

Cheesethief
June 2nd, 2005, 06:16 AM
On Monday, I have a week of revision (skive, cough) followed by a week of exams, then a week of London Trip. Then it's the holidays!

What sort of fish do you catch when you go fishing Cheesethief? I haven't been freshwater fishing in years, so if I go this year I'll need to buy a license. I'd love to try flyfishing, because often when we go fishing for Australian Salmon (actually a type of mullet) on the East Coast you catch one almost before your lure hits the water, so I need a bit of a challenge on days like that. Other days you don't get a bite and I feel like a nuke of some kind would be rather handy, but I don't think you're allowed to use WMD's for recreational purposes in Australia. I normally go flyfishing, because we own fishing both up here in Scotland and in Devon (My dad's grandparents owned about half of the countryside, so he keeps discovering that we own a three-metre stretch of river on the Exe, etc...which is cool, because one of the spots we have is where 50% of Exe Valley salmon is caught) on top of that, I have a spinner rod, which I got recently and haven't really broken in yet, but that's set to change this summer. The reservoir has some nice-sized fish, although it needs restocking at some point in the near future, because most of the fish are rainbow trout, which have to be imported, as it were. And I haven't caught much in Devon, because I only had a couple of hours on it last time, and ended up losing a fly.

PiarasJ
June 2nd, 2005, 05:50 PM
I normally go flyfishing, because we own fishing both up here in Scotland and in Devon (My dad's grandparents owned about half of the countryside, so he keeps discovering that we own a three-metre stretch of river on the Exe, etc...which is coolThat sounds great, I'd love to have rivers on my land. Our block on the East Coast fronts onto the mouth of an Estuary with the beach around the corner, but there is a few metres of Crown Land between us and the water. Little does the Queen know, but those few metres are slowly being eroded every time the tide comes in. In a decade or so we'll have absolute water frontage. ;) You can catch a few kinds of fish in the river and the bay, but I'd like a bigger boat so we can go tuna fishing outside the bay. And I'd love to catch a shark, apparently the rivermouth is a gummy/school shark nursery, but I've never seen one there.

Hisk
June 3rd, 2005, 03:36 PM
Last day was today! Played soccer and softball the whole time. Exams...here I come...

Cheesethief
June 4th, 2005, 05:57 AM
That sounds great, I'd love to have rivers on my land. Our block on the East Coast fronts onto the mouth of an Estuary with the beach around the corner, but there is a few metres of Crown Land between us and the water. Little does the Queen know, but those few metres are slowly being eroded every time the tide comes in. In a decade or so we'll have absolute water frontage. Hah, that's cool. :D I forgot to tell you, I also go mackerel fishing off the South of England, but it's not really a skill. You just dip your rod in the water, and up it comes with six on the line. Sometimes you can get some interesting fish, though. However, I personally prefer freshwater fishing. I remember one time where I got a six-pounder on a river.

Hisk
June 4th, 2005, 01:08 PM
You just dip your rod in the water, and up it comes with six on the line
Yep. That's basically what happens when you fish in certain lakes in middle-Ontario. You get these stupid little rock bass everywhere. :mad: .

Bladeswift
June 4th, 2005, 01:29 PM
I just got back from a trip, and there was this pond there where the fish would literally bite the instant the hook hit the water. I must have eaten at least 20-30 bluegill over the course of a week.

Josiah the Warrior
June 4th, 2005, 03:19 PM
The only time I go fishing is in Animal Crossing (except once), I'm quite good at it there. :slagar

PiarasJ
June 4th, 2005, 07:21 PM
The coolest fishing that I've ever seen is in India where they fish for Sardines with massive flexible poles with hundreds of hooks on each line. They whip the line into the water, then when they whip it out again there are hundreds of sardines attached that get flicked off onto dry land. They do it all in one movement and fill up baskets in no time.

Do you get flathead in Britain or the US? It's a shocking name and a very ugly fish, but they taste great and are easy to catch.

Cheesethief
June 5th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Is that a nickname, or a real one? I haven't heard of any.

I must have eaten at least 20-30 bluegill over the course of a week. Bluegill?

The coolest fishing that I've ever seen is in India where they fish for Sardines with massive flexible poles with hundreds of hooks on each line. They whip the line into the water, then when they whip it out again there are hundreds of sardines attached that get flicked off onto dry land. They do it all in one movement and fill up baskets in no time. Have you been to India, or just seen a video with that on? It sounds cool.

Bladeswift
June 5th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Bluegill?
Are you quoting me because you've never heard of the fish, or because you're surprised that I catch/eat them?

PiarasJ
June 6th, 2005, 12:40 AM
Flathead is the most common name, they're sometimes called lizards, duskies, sandies, frogs or flatties. They look like lizards but taste great. ;)

Random picture from google: Flathead. (http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/images/1933.gif)

I went to India when I was 6...or 7, I forget. Our family was on a missionary ship for two years. India was one of my favourite places, although Indian street peddlers are scary.

I found bluegill on google, they look like nice fish. They strike me as a very Huckleberry Finn sort of fish, mainly because of the description on the page (http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/water/fhp/fish/3dblgill.htm) of fishing with garden worms. Blech. :p Is that the sort of fish you were catching Bladeswift?

Bladeswift
June 6th, 2005, 08:34 AM
I found bluegill on google, they look like nice fish. They strike me as a very Huckleberry Finn sort of fish, mainly because of the description on the page (http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/water/fhp/fish/3dblgill.htm) of fishing with garden worms. Blech. :p Is that the sort of fish you were catching Bladeswift?
Aye. Though generally the ones I was catching had more blue than the one in that picture.

Cheesethief
June 6th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Are you quoting me because you've never heard of the fish, or because you're surprised that I catch/eat them? Never heard of them, but now I know, thanks to PJ.

As for flathead: I don't think I've ever seen one, although there was one time I was in a sea kayak, and decided to toss a crab line over the side, getting a bite from a largish fish. It looked sorta similar to this flathead, but i doubt they're one and the same.

And, woah: You were on a missionary ship? That sounds cool.

PiarasJ
June 6th, 2005, 06:33 PM
When I was 6, so I was a tag-along missionary with my family. :p I'd like to go back to one of the ships run by the organisation (http://www.om.org/) one day, because I'll be more useful to them and will appreciate it more now than when I was young. They just bought a new ship (http://www.logoshope.org/) (scroll down) to replace the smaller of the two ships that are currently sailing around the world. It gets so many visitors that they just can't cope with the numbers. They have people lining up for literally kilometres when they visit a port, because the people are so keen to visit the bookshop and see the Jesus video. A bigger ship means more people get the chance. If you feel like helping out, you're more than welcome to contact them and do some work on fitting out the new ship, or even become a crew member if you're over 18 (or with a family). [/plug :cool: ]

Cheesethief
June 8th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Surely there are more organisations sending ships around the world? Two is hardly anything.

PiarasJ
June 8th, 2005, 08:00 PM
I know of at least one other organisation, called YWAM (Youth With A Mission) which sends two sister ships to...the Pacific I believe. Operation Mobilisation sends The Doulos (the ship I was on for two years), which serves East Africa, the Middle East, Europe, India, Australia and the Indian ocean, and the Logos II (soon to be replaced by the Logos Hope) which serves the US, South America, West Indies, East/Southeast Asia etc. Sometimes they send outreach teams inland where the ships can't visit due to a lack of oceans nearby...

The Doulos visited Scotland recently come to think of it. A couple of my friends were on board at the time.

Anyway, if you're worried about those ships not being very significant, maybe you should join one as a crewmember and help out. ;)

Cheesethief
June 10th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Well, it's a possibility for my gap year. I was considering doing something both explaratory and charitable, and was considering something vaguely religious, so it sounds like fun. I'll be sure to check it out in a couple of years' time.