PDA

View Full Version : Halo movie

Jodan
June 8th, 2005, 11:16 PM
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3141281

I can't wait.

Bladeswift
June 9th, 2005, 12:15 AM
"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced."

LordTBT
June 9th, 2005, 12:41 AM
I think I already saw the Halo movie when it was called "Stormship Troopers" :rolleyes:

Lord Servone
June 9th, 2005, 01:17 AM
IMO, in most cases, it is pointless to make a movie adaptation of a video game. I mean, nowadays, most video games are pretty much movies. There are occassional exceptions, but for the most part its pointless.

Felldoh
June 9th, 2005, 01:39 AM
IMO, in most cases, it is pointless to make a movie adaptation of a video game. I mean, nowadays, most video games are pretty much movies. There are occassional exceptions, but for the most part its pointless.

Agreed. Even moreso, they've all sucked so far.

Jodan
June 9th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Well, being a Halo fiend, I plan to see it no matter what. I have a good feeling that they will do it right.

Josiah the Warrior
June 9th, 2005, 02:30 PM
I'll decide on whether or not I see it based on reviews and trailers when it comes out. But if done properly, it could be awesome.

dandin1
June 9th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Movies of videogames.... Meh. Red vs. Blue is fine for me. :P

Josiah the Warrior
June 9th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Ah yes, the Red vs. Blue can be funny, but also a bit repetitive and cliched. For those of you who haven't seen it, it's worth watching but it's far from genius, just a few laughs here and there.....

Baby Rollo
June 9th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Halo's overrated anyway

Jandura
June 9th, 2005, 06:37 PM
I think I already saw the Halo movie when it was called "Stormship Troopers"

Yeah except the aliens dont rip you to shreds. I wouldn't care if people said the movie was bad, because that's their opinion. 90% of the time I find that my opinion is the opposite of what they say. If somebody said the movie was bad I'd go see it anyway to experience it for myself. And I'm a hardcore Halo 2 fan anyway.

Halo's overrated anyway

I say the same thing about anime.

Baby Rollo
June 9th, 2005, 08:36 PM
No seriously, Halo is so overrated it's not even funny.

Jodan
June 9th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Well, have fun watching anime meant to entertain little Asian children. I'm going to go have fun killing people online in a 16-player death match.

Baby Rollo
June 9th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Seriously, Halo 2 is overrated. There are a lot better FPS multiplayer games.

Bladeswift
June 9th, 2005, 09:42 PM
Well, have fun watching anime meant to entertain little Asian children. I'm going to go have fun killing people online in a 16-player death match.
Score one for overgeneralizations and stereotyping!

Baby Rollo
June 9th, 2005, 09:46 PM
I never said Halo2 was bad anyway. All I said was that it was overrated.

Badrang3
June 10th, 2005, 06:29 PM
It's amazing. Rollo hasn't said a single thing to back up her opinion. One could say that the only reason he is posting is so she can get attention.

I don't know about video game movies. If done right they could be good, but too many directors may try to stay too true to the game and almost make it look stupid.

Baby Rollo
June 11th, 2005, 12:11 AM
It's amazing. Rollo hasn't said a single thing to back up her opinion. One could say that the only reason he is posting is so she can get attention.

Funny. Jodan never backed up his opinion either

Okay. Let's talk about Halo2.

There's:

Unbalanced weapons
Messed up ranking system
Massive Cheating in multiplayer
Only two actual character models in multiplayer who have the same attributes
Slow response time to fixing glitches
Too many n00bs on Live

Josiah the Warrior
June 11th, 2005, 04:51 PM
I recognize the awesome funness of Halo multiplayer and yeah single player is cool too, but I'm gonna have to agree with Rollo on this, it's just overrated. That doesn't mean it's not good, it's just not "the best FPS" or "the best game" of all time...

Jodan
June 11th, 2005, 07:32 PM
Unbalanced weapons

Weapon balance is fine. Stop being a n00b and learn how to use them properly.

Messed up ranking system

How so?

Massive Cheating in multiplayer

Which they pretty much fixed with the auto update that came out not too long ago. I haven't been plagued by cheating since, and I play it quite a bit.

Only two actual character models in multiplayer who have the same attributes

How is that a problem with the game? It would be stupid if different characters had different attributes. It would unbalance the game.

Slow response time to fixing glitches

Well those glitches are pretty much fixed, so it's no longer a problem. How is that Halo 2's fault anyway? You can't make a game playable online in a reasonable development cycle without expecting a few glitches to occur.

Too many n00bs on Live

Again, how is that Halo 2's fault?

And Josiah, I do think Halo 2 is the best FPS of all time, and it will be hard for a competitor to take that mantle from Halo 2. It's not the best game of all time, but I think it's the best game in the current gen of consoles.

EDIT- Getting back to the topic at hand, some news about the movie I just heard about is that Universal and Fox have bought the rights to the Halo movie. It's expected for a 2007 release. There should be more info when they have an official press conference about it.

Josiah the Warrior
June 11th, 2005, 08:45 PM
And Josiah, I do think Halo 2 is the best FPS of all time, and it will be hard for a competitor to take that mantle from Halo 2. It's not the best game of all time, but I think it's the best game in the current gen of consoles.
I think Halo 2 has a very good case for being the best ever, I just don't think it is. But I certainly understand why some people do, so we'll leave it at that.

EDIT- Getting back to the topic at hand, some news about the movie I just heard about is that Universal and Fox have bought the rights to the Halo movie. It's expected for a 2007 release. There should be more info when they have an official press conference about it.
Well I guess that's a good thing because Fox has a ton of money to throw at this movie. If it's got the right artistic visionary behind the helm of this project I'd say it's got a great shot at being great.

Jodan
June 11th, 2005, 09:12 PM
It's being written by the 28 Days Later writer. I never saw it, but like I said, I have a good feeling about the Halo movie. If any video game deserves to be made into a movie, it's Halo. Hopefully they combine the Halo and Halo 2 storylines, since Halo by itself wouldn't make a good movie, but it is a neccessary part of the story. Halo 2 is a fantastic story, but needs the introduction Halo provides. Hopefully they can condense it down to movie-length without sacrificing the great storyline. We'll just have to wait and see.

Baby Rollo
June 11th, 2005, 11:00 PM
Weapon balance is fine. Stop being a n00b and learn how to use them properly.

Dude, you're the one who complains about the sniper rifle and the energy sword being too cheap and how only n00bs use them. Seriously, matches are just about getting the power weapons and pwning everybody.

How so?

Like resetting your rank to 1 after you're like lvl 20 or 30

How is that a problem with the game? It would be stupid if different characters had different attributes. It would unbalance the game.

No, it would make it more fun. You play only as the Arbiter and the Master Chief with different colors. They have the exact same attributes. Other games like Quake III and the recent Unreal Tournaments use characters that have high speed/low armor, different power-ups, etc. It makes them more fun and challenging and there'd be no balance issues if it was done right.

Well I guess that's a good thing because Fox has a ton of money to throw at this movie. If it's got the right artistic visionary behind the helm of this project I'd say it's got a great shot at being great.

Remember what Fox did with Alien Vs. Predator?

Cheesethief
June 12th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Halo has never seemed too deep to me. I thought there was almost no story in the original, and from what I've heard it gets worse in the sequel. I'd see it, however.

One other thing I heard-The Silent Hill movie is confirmed.

Josiah the Warrior
June 12th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Remember what Fox did with Alien Vs. Predator?
Never saw the originals, and I wanted to kill everyone who had a part in these really, really, incredibly, ridiculously stupid *insert bad guy here* versus *insert bad guy here* movies....and no I didn't actually see that movie, the previews, heck, the very title was bad enough for me to lose total interest.

Jodan
June 12th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Dude, you're the one who complains about the sniper rifle and the energy sword being too cheap and how only n00bs use them. Seriously, matches are just about getting the power weapons and pwning everybody.

The auto-update helped a lot, by tweaking some of the weaker weapons to make them more powerful, namely the SMG. Grenades were also made more powerful, so if someone is coming at you with the sword, you have a good chance of taking them down before they get to you. Since I made that last post, I've gotten good with the Battle Rifle, so snipers are not so much of a problem anymore. Most of the time, I have a dual SMG/plasma rifle combo, and it's powerful enough to deal with almost anything. Stop being a n00b, learn how to use the weapons and play the game.

Like resetting your rank to 1 after you're like lvl 20 or 30

That's because a lot of people cheated their way to high ranks. The auto-update has fixed the major glitches and cheats. Bungie said this themselves: Your rank doesn't say how good you are, it determines who you play with. Stop caring about your rank, and just enjoy the game.

No, it would make it more fun. You play only as the Arbiter and the Master Chief with different colors. They have the exact same attributes. Other games like Quake III and the recent Unreal Tournaments use characters that have high speed/low armor, different power-ups, etc. It makes them more fun and challenging and there'd be no balance issues if it was done right.

The game is perfect the way it is. Tweaking something as significant as that would unbalance the game. Also, in multiplayer you don't play as the Arbiter, you play as a normal Elite soldier. The Arbiter's armor is different than the regular Elite armor.

Halo has never seemed too deep to me. I thought there was almost no story in the original, and from what I've heard it gets worse in the sequel. I'd see it, however.

The story in the original is appropriate for the kind of game it was. Halo 2's story was infinitely better, mainly because it wasn't played from only one perspective. You alternate between two characters, the Master Chief and a Covenant soldier, so the story can be told from both sides, which it makes it so much better, and so much more complex.

Baby Rollo
June 12th, 2005, 08:48 PM
The auto-update helped a lot, by tweaking some of the weaker weapons to make them more powerful, namely the SMG. Grenades were also made more powerful, so if someone is coming at you with the sword, you have a good chance of taking them down before they get to you. Since I made that last post, I've gotten good with the Battle Rifle, so snipers are not so much of a problem anymore. Most of the time, I have a dual SMG/plasma rifle combo, and it's powerful enough to deal with almost anything. Stop being a n00b, learn how to use the weapons and play the game.

I ain't complaining about the weapons being too cheap, but the fact that the matches are about getting the power weapons like sniper, rocket, and plasma sword. Auto-update doesn't do much against that. Also, the battle rifle is a pretty bad multi-player weapon.

The game is perfect the way it is. Tweaking something as significant as that would unbalance the game. Also, in multiplayer you don't play as the Arbiter, you play as a normal Elite soldier. The Arbiter's armor is different than the regular Elite armor.

I'm just saying that it's pretty unoriginal and it's boring seeing the same two character models in different colors. I want something more like I don't know, playing as a Helljumper or a grunt or a Brute. They could have different stats and maybe special powers that coincide with their traits. For example, the brute could have extra health and armor, but it could be a lot slower.

Goddess of Darkness
June 13th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Speaking of movies made from games, anyone else here heard anything about them making a Doom(probably original, but I don't know) movie? I thought it might be good until I heard some discussion on who it might be starring...

Man, I miss original Doom....now that was a great game...anyone know where I can get it for Xp using the mouse?

Actually, other than original Doom, Diablo II is the only game I've really ever been able to get into...I love that game! I have a level 40 and a level 25, both assassins...

Baby Rollo
June 13th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Speaking of movies made from games, anyone else here heard anything about them making a Doom(probably original, but I don't know) movie? I thought it might be good until I heard some discussion on who it might be starring...

Yeah, the DOOM series is awesome. Though I think the DOOM movie is going to suck because it looks like there won't be any Cacodemons, cyberdemons, pinkys, the double-barrelled shotgun, the BFG 9000, and other great DOOM stuff.

Lukesed
June 13th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Yeah, the DOOM series is awesome. Though I think the DOOM movie is going to suck because it looks like there won't be any Cacodemons, cyberdemons, pinkys, the double-barrelled shotgun, the BFG 9000, and other great DOOM stuff.
I actually enjoy playing the old Dooms more than the new ones. Same with Half Life. Counterstrike over Halo.

Jodan
June 13th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Yet another misguided soul.

Baby Rollo
June 14th, 2005, 11:32 AM
I actually enjoy playing the old Dooms more than the new ones. Same with Half Life. Counterstrike over Halo.

I actually think that Halo2 multiplayer is better than Counter-strike. However, Halo2 can not be modded like Counter-Strike.

Lukesed
June 14th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Half Life is so great because it doesn't feel like any other fps(can't really explain it). And telling n00bs about the "Alt-Ctrl-Del cheat" is very fun.

Cheesethief
June 14th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Even I know what that stands for. *snickers* Isn't there some Alt + F4 thing as well?

I have a friend whose dad is a computer genius. He used to have six or seven computers spread across the house, and he, my friend, his siblings and I used to have massive team games of CS. He added all these complex bots and things, modded up loads of stuff, and so on. They only have four now, so it's more AoE.

Jodan
June 14th, 2005, 09:18 PM
However, Halo2 can not be modded like Counter-Strike.

Perhaps because it's on the Xbox and not PC. Was CS designed to be modded? Just curious. I never played CS. I was always too busy playing Halo and Halo 2. :D

Baby Rollo
June 14th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Perhaps because it's on the Xbox and not PC.

Duh, that's why Doom 3 on Xbox isn't as good as Doom 3 on the pc even though it has co-op mode. On the X-box version, you can't download mods where the bodies stay and you can duct-tape the flashlight to your guns, and the cyberdemon could be killed by other weapons besides the soul cube. On the X-box, you can't get fun stuff like that for your games.

Was CS designed to be modded? Just curious. I never played CS. I was always too busy playing Halo and Halo 2.

You're kidding, right? CS started out as a Half-Life mod and became the phenomenon it is today. There are tons of mods out there that give you different skins, weapons, gameplay, vehicles, and some mods like the Superhero Mod and the Warcraft Mod give you cool powers and stuff. Of course, mods are the only thing that keep the game interesting for me since the original version is just alright.

If Halo2 ever went on the PC, I'm sure multiplayer would be a bazillion times better if people could easily Mod it. Think of the possibilities! You could have multiplayer maps where 16 people ride and control the scarab while another 16 have to board it or shoot it down before it reaches its objective. People could play as one of the Prophets or a brute or those flying bug things. Weapons balance issues could be fixed or entirely new weapons like gravity guns could be introduced. Heck, maybe the humans could have a flying vehicles of their own that has machine guns and missiles. If that were possible, Halo2 would really be the best game ever.