PDA

View Full Version : VHS vs. DVD

Cheesethief
June 15th, 2005, 03:51 PM
So, which do you prefer? VHS's glory days have passed, fallen to the wrath of DVDs, but I always liked the blocky feel of the old tapes. Anyway, I was inspired by the digital music/CD topic, so I thought this would compliment that nicely.

Edit: Darn, forgot the poll. Need help. Options should be as follows:

VHS
DVD
Don't Know
Don't Care

Lord Servone
June 15th, 2005, 05:17 PM
I have switched to DVDs entirely (except to tape my programs). Anyway, reasoning? DVD's don't wear out like VHS's. They can get scratched but with VHS's...after a few watches, the quality gets worse because of rewinding, fastforwarding, etc. Also, you're able to fit more on a DVD than you are on a VHS tape. Commentary, trailers, etc. Special features are another thing that makes DVDs better.
My main thing though is quality. DVDs (as long as you take care of them and you have a decent player) last longer and have a better picture on them after multiple watching.

VHS's still have their uses though: if you're going out, they can record the game while you're gone. I hardly tape programs though...of course, I don't really watch that much TV either.

Lyrian Aryns
June 15th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Oh, VHS. Most definitely. DVD's are too, like, modern and stuff.

...aheh. Yes, I'm kidding. :p DVD's are more convenient, as I can watch them on my computer, not to mention that they take up less space, they're not easily damaged, and most have foreign language tracks. And special features. And come in widescreen. And... yeah, the only thing I really prefer about tapes is that you can stop them wherever you want and then start them up again later without having to remember a timestamp, but... you also have to rewind them. Trade-off I'm willing to live with.

(Though my dear mother... heh. "I stopped it in the middle! Why is it starting from the beginning?!")

Felldoh
June 15th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Can't you people just like them both equally? I do. :D

VHS - MUCH cheaper, stop wherever you want, taping programs and re-taping, slow-mo (at least none of MY DVD players have that), and... uhm thats about it.

DVD - Bah... I'm lazy. Figure it out. :p

Lonna Bowstripe
June 15th, 2005, 07:26 PM
DVD. Much more convienent and better quality.

Baby Rollo
June 15th, 2005, 07:36 PM
VHS - MUCH cheaper, stop wherever you want, taping programs and re-taping, slow-mo (at least none of MY DVD players have that), and... uhm thats about it.

Dude, VHS costs like $14-20 USD while DVDs are sold at an average of like $16. And I don't know what kind of whacked-out DVD player you have, but the DVD players I know have slow-mo and some of the later models can now record on DVD.

Jodan
June 15th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Yeah, DVD's have a nice and sharp digital picture quality, don't wear out, can be stored in a CD wallet for easy access, and the ability to instantly jump to any point in the movie is a big plus. I'm in the process right now of buying the DVD releases of all my old VHS tapes. But I record TV shows all the time, since I never know if I'll be around when one of my programs comes on, so my VCR isn't obsolete. I'll keep my old tapes around, for noststalgia's sake, but DVD's are better overall.

Ferahgo the Assassin
June 15th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Definitely DVDs, for all the reasons everyone else has mentioned. Also, I appreciate being able to play them on my laptop.

Felldoh
June 15th, 2005, 10:06 PM
VHS costs like $14-20

Wow, don't know what VHS tapes you've been seeing, but the ones I see are usually from $5-10, while DVDs are $15-25.

Mackinsie
June 15th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Wal-mart will no longer carry VHS as of the end of the year (or beginning of next). Target plans to phase out their VHS by September.

I like the extra features you can get with DVDs and the better picture quality, but I am still quite partial to VHS. :)

Lukesed
June 16th, 2005, 08:41 AM
DVD are so DEAD. I get all my videos off bittorrent and watch them on my Archos portable.

Not really. I actually never watch any sort on video outside of computer games and new movies in the theater.

Cheesethief
June 16th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Wal-mart will no longer carry VHS as of the end of the year (or beginning of next). Target plans to phase out their VHS by September. The only chain store that they sell VHS over here in is HMV, and there have been no new VHS releases since last year.

Although I still love the old guys. They may wear out, but I found it quite fun to watch the tracking system correcting it as the music went all wonky. The price is much better, as well: Even new tapes only cost 5, and ex-rental from the video store cost next to nothing. Sometimes they even let you get one for free, if you're renting.

I don't yet have a DVD player: The PS2 works alright, but i think by the end of this year we'll have a recordable one. That was one of the great things about tapes, recording programmes, even if when you replayed them the lighting was all funny and the voices sounded like they were coming from the other side of a room. Although I suppose in a few months people will be recording entirely on DVD. Give it a decade, though, and VHS will probably be a cult icon. You'll be able to get "retro" t-shirts with "VHS" printed on, and that classic, blocky shape.

I wonder how long it'll be before films stop using...film, and move on to digital films? Not long, sadly.

Josiah the Warrior
June 16th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Exhibit A: DVD > VHS :slagar

Jodan
June 16th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Although I still love the old guys. They may wear out, but I found it quite fun to watch the tracking system correcting it as the music went all wonky.

That's the same reason I still occasionally watch my VHS tapes.

I don't yet have a DVD player: The PS2 works alright, but i think by the end of this year we'll have a recordable one.

Don't watch DVD's on your PS2. Whenever you play a game, the laser is only in use when something is loading. When you watch a DVD on it, the laser is in use every second you are watching it. It causes severe wear and tear on the laser, and leads to it needing to be replaced. I know several people who've had this problem, and any game shop employee will tell you not to watch DVD's on a console.

I wonder how long it'll be before films stop using...film, and move on to digital films? Not long, sadly.

Yeah, there's a certain charm watching little spots on the film itself being projected and flickering around.

Grath
June 16th, 2005, 05:28 PM
DVD's are so much better because they have more to them like deleated scenes, commentaries, and outtakes. Plus DVDs will last longer if they are properly handled compared to VHS.

Josiah the Warrior
June 16th, 2005, 05:47 PM
This reminds me of an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond where Frank remembers how Ray, as a kid, destroyed all of his vinyl records and to make up for it in the present, Ray buys his dad all the same records on CD. After a hilarious 3 minute scene of Ray struggling to open those pain in the butt CD's (you know how they wrap those things), he gets them open and pops them in the boom box. Of course, Frank hates them and while Ray is trying to convince him of how great the sound is, Robert strides in with a day's worth of garage sale hunting for old vinyl, getting almost all of Franks records. He plays them and the terrible, scratchy, grainy sound quality blasts the house while Frank closes his eyes in rapture. Yeahhh.....I definantly watch that show too much, but hey, it applied to this situation quite nicely. The moral? Older and poorer quality can be better, depending on who's listening. :slagar

Jodan
June 16th, 2005, 05:54 PM
You're a Raymond fan Josiah? That's awesome! I watch it whenever it comes on TBS, 2 every week night or sometimes 4 episodes in a row, then there's one every night on the WB. It's hilarious! Anyway, I think of that episode every time I read this hread. That was a good episode.

Josiah the Warrior
June 16th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Good to see another Raymond fan! I thought it declined in the last season, but I loved the finale recap even though it was sad.

Nora the Rover
June 16th, 2005, 08:12 PM
I dunno. My VCR is really rather messed up - I think the color's going, and the screen blanks out occasionally. The worst thing is that I have the first two Star Wars prequels, and 'The Fellowship of the Ring' on VHS, while I have the rest of the sets on DVD. I'm usually too busy spending my money the zillions of CD's and books that I don't have yet - DVD's are annoyingly expensive.
DVD's are so much more interesting, though - with all that extra footage stuff, and commentaries. (It's also rather funny to see my parents wracking their brains while trying to figure out how to use it...) :rolleyes:

Jodan
June 16th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Good to see another Raymond fan! I thought it declined in the last season, but I loved the finale recap even though it was sad.

Yeah, the finale wasn't really that funny, but it I liked the sentimental ending.

Lyrian Aryns
June 16th, 2005, 10:24 PM
(It's also rather funny to see my parents wracking their brains while trying to figure out how to use it...)Haha, yeah... though it's rather annoying when you're watching something together, and they try to rewind but hit the skip backward button instead.

Cheesethief
June 17th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Don't watch DVD's on your PS2. Whenever you play a game, the laser is only in use when something is loading. When you watch a DVD on it, the laser is in use every second you are watching it. It causes severe wear and tear on the laser, and leads to it needing to be replaced. I know several people who've had this problem, and any game shop employee will tell you not to watch DVD's on a console. That's how the first PS2 I had wore out. I only have about 10 DVDs, but watching them seemed to be enough for it to not read games properly. In GTA3, for example, the screen turned violet and roads disappeared.

Yeah, there's a certain charm watching little spots on the film itself being projected and flickering around. Yeah, I love that. Plus if cinemas switched to DVDs, Fight Club wouldn't be applicable. ;)

Martin the Warrior
June 17th, 2005, 07:35 PM
I've long been a supporter of DVDs. It's hard to go back to VHS when you've got the superior picture quality-- something I noticed going through my old Star Wars tapes recently. Then, of course, there are the advantages-- especially for anime fans.

Back in the days of VHS, I had to spend $30 per volume for Evangelion-- two episodes, subtitled only. Nowadays, plopping down $20 for an Eva DVD can get you five episodes, both subtitled and dubbed, plus a slew of extras. So, $150 on VHS will run me only $40 on DVD.

And there you go. ;)

Josiah the Warrior
June 18th, 2005, 12:56 PM
I've long been a supporter of DVDs. It's hard to go back to VHS when you've got the superior picture quality-- something I noticed going through my old Star Wars tapes recently. Then, of course, there are the advantages-- especially for anime fans.

Back in the days of VHS, I had to spend $30 per volume for Evangelion-- two episodes, subtitled only. Nowadays, plopping down $20 for an Eva DVD can get you five episodes, both subtitled and dubbed, plus a slew of extras. So, $150 on VHS will run me only $40 on DVD.

And there you go. ;)
This is why God invented eBay. :slagar

Barrag Barr
June 25th, 2005, 04:27 PM
DVD's are far supirior i say, but why on earth do only a few old films get rencanated as disks. Ive looked everywhere for a DVD copy of Jarassic Park. GRRR

Warrier
June 25th, 2005, 07:40 PM
there both good

Sagrived Switpaw
June 25th, 2005, 08:43 PM
I'd go with the DVD's. (Message two short)

LordTBT
June 25th, 2005, 09:29 PM
VHS is obsolete, just like BetaMax, and just like audiocassetes, and records.

It is very easy to argue that records give you the best audio quality, but do we use them? no.

DVD.

Felldoh
June 25th, 2005, 09:41 PM
It is very easy to argue that records give you the best audio quality, but do we use them? no.

I listen to records alot. :p I have a record player in my room, as part of my sound system.

Cheesethief
June 26th, 2005, 11:15 AM
I'm pretty sure there's a record player somewhere in the house, but we don't have many records.

I'd go with the DVD's. (Message two short) No, it's not too short. You always do this! You have to type a minimum of 10 characters, and that message was about 20, so there's no need.