PDA

View Full Version : War of the Worlds

Jodan
July 1st, 2005, 12:01 AM
What an intense movie! It stayed true to the story in the original....mostly, but I'll get to that in a minute.

First of all, Cruise's performance was great. He wasn't made into the hero that saves the world. The story of Ray Ferrier, Cruise's character, was of him trying to protect his family. Any actor or actress could have starred in the lead role, and any of the characters of the hundreds of extras could have been the lead character. It was a story of survival that anyone can sympathize with, and was universal. Cruise's character didn't do anything that humans in the movie all over the world didn't do. It was still the bacteria that kills off the aliens in the end.

One thing I enjoyed about the film was that it exemplified human behavior when faced with their own mortality, and they abandon their higher thinking, and without anyone to control them, they panic in mobs. Whenever one of the alien machines showed up, all they cared about was themselves, and would do anything to stay alive. There was one scene where Tom Cruise and his two kids were driving through a town, and he had the only working car in the town. All of the people around were fighting and killing each other to take the car. It was amazing how true to life it was.

They kept everything story-wise the same as in the book, except that the tripods had been buried long before humans began to evolve, and that the aliens had been planning it for a million years, but they never said why. In the original story, they invaded, and they had a reason. This time they didn't. Otherwise, everything was pretty much the same, including having bacteria killing off the aliens.

It was a very intense movie, with moments of action, moments where you hold your breath, and moments of sheer terror. It was excellent! Everyone needs to go see it.

And one thing I forgot, the visuals were great.

LordTBT
July 1st, 2005, 12:37 AM
but they never said why

Yes it did. Extermination of the human race to terraform earth. That's what the red plants were.

Ferahgo the Assassin
July 1st, 2005, 09:23 AM
I'm going to go see this movie today. I think I'll enjoy it, as it's based off one of my favorite classic novels. At first I was annoyed that they had changed the time period and setting, but I guess it's not that big of a deal.

Anyway, I hope it's as good as you say. :)

Cale Yin
July 1st, 2005, 09:27 AM
I hated it. It was 2 hours of Tom screaming Rachel and running around. It did not stimulate my mind at alllll.

Rimrose
July 1st, 2005, 09:30 AM
I have no real desire to see it. I've seen more than enough of Tom Cruise the past couple of weeks. :rolleyes:

Jodan
July 1st, 2005, 09:50 AM
Yes it did. Extermination of the human race to terraform earth. That's what the red plants were.

If they did say that, it doesn't make any sense. The exterminating of the human race part. Why would the aliens wait until humans had evolved and have become a global society to kill them? Why would they bury their tripods so long before they actually invaded? I guess it does make sense, in a way. Instead of having to hunt down tribes of primitive apes scattered all over the place, usually isolated from each other, they waited until we were gathered in cities and depended on technology, and when they shut it down, at least temporarily, it made it easier to harvest us. That's still pretty weak, however.

Jandura
July 1st, 2005, 10:43 AM
I want to go see the movie, but I don't have much time in the next two weeks. Basically, on Sunday I'm gone for two weeks. so that leaves tonight and saturday night to see it, unless it's still out when I get back.

I want to read the book, but my brother had it and I haven't seen since. ANd from Jodan's description, the movie sounds pretty good.

Basils #1 fan
July 1st, 2005, 10:50 AM
I haven't seen it yet, but I am going to go see it this coming Sunday. :cool:

Baby Rollo
July 1st, 2005, 11:03 AM
If they did say that, it doesn't make any sense. The exterminating of the human race part. Why would the aliens wait until humans had evolved and have become a global society to kill them? Why would they bury their tripods so long before they actually invaded? I guess it does make sense, in a way. Instead of having to hunt down tribes of primitive apes scattered all over the place, usually isolated from each other, they waited until we were gathered in cities and depended on technology, and when they shut it down, at least temporarily, it made it easier to harvest us. That's still pretty weak, however.

'Cause it's more fun that way

Or a million years ago Mars was at its height of civilization and those tripods were a contingency plan in case Martian society got messed up or something.

Basils #1 fan
July 2nd, 2005, 12:54 AM
That movie was intense :eek: .I'm not used to seeing really intense movies.I loved it though.