PDA

View Full Version : Now is the winter of our assessment...

Keyla
July 1st, 2005, 11:48 AM
Now is the winter of our assessment
Made glorious summer by this Leaver's Ball;
And all the clouds that lour'd upon our School
In the deep bosom of the ocean buried.
Now are our bodies clothed with formal wears,
Our writing hands ringed with crisp white cuffs,
Our stern lectures chang'd to merry speeches,
Our walking in file to delightful measures...

Which is my roundabout way of saying, that tonight is my Leaver's Ball. ;) I am curious to hear how different people are celebrating the end of school, whether for life or for the summer.

We seem to have stolen the idea of the Prom from you guys across the pond, so it is rather appropriate that we are having ours literally in the middle of the sea: we are renting out an old sea fort and are being picked up from the harbour by boat. I know some people who went last year and they said it was amazing, so I am very excited. I went to pick up my tucks yesterday and found that after having them measured for a previous engagement in the spring, which was then cancelled and the order brought forward, I had grown and the trousers no longer fitted! :eek: Luckily they had some on stock that fitted. :) It is funny I feel like I want to tell you guys everything about this, even the boring details about my buttonhole, the flower for my date, etc.; I just feel a jangle of nerves and excitement. Methinks we need an emoticon for that. But don't worry I am not going to subject you to all that; I am curious to hear what your ways of celebrating are.

Cale Yin
July 1st, 2005, 12:17 PM
Um, that sounds infinity times cooler than any of my high school's proms. We had ours in the school commons area/cafeteria. :rolleyes: You'll have a great time. ^_^

Usually, at the end of high school, either that or on Spring Break, a group of friends will go on a Senior Trip to celebrate their freedom and spend time with their friends who may be going to different colleges. I, of course, did not have anything like this. I didn't get to go anywhere with my friends. Oh well. I'm not bitter. :)
My friend Johanna traveled all summer after graduating- she is from Sweden and she went there and all over the US and probably other places in Europe too.

Make sure you know how to put the flowers on ahead of time. The corsage and all that. We couldn't figure it out. :p Have fun!!

Furrtil
July 1st, 2005, 02:13 PM
I'm still trying to bend my mind around the mental image of Keyla in a tux. Hold on -- is a tucks a tux? Because tux is short for tuxedo. Do they call them tucksedos in the UK? :confused:

Anyway, good luck. It'll be loads of fun. Take it from me, who has absolutely no experience with this whatsoever. Trust me. :p *giddy laugh* Oh, you'll be so cute!

Mackinsie
July 1st, 2005, 02:48 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun! Have a great time! :)

Baby Rollo
July 1st, 2005, 07:06 PM
Wait, I thought you left Keyla. Welcome back :D

Hisk
July 1st, 2005, 07:24 PM
Well it all sounds better than going out to Cancun and getting completely wasted, which is what the people at my school do.

PiarasJ
July 1st, 2005, 07:53 PM
That sounds like great fun Keyla, the sea fort is an excellent idea...for our grade 10 leavers dinner we went to the golf club. ;)

I wasn't sure what to expect with ours, and I kind of suspected that it would be a bit boring, but it was so much fun. We had dancing lessons before the dinner, but the only one that anyone could remember was the waltz, but that was great fun. I think it was such a great night because it was one of the last times I would be with any of the people in that group, so I could have as much fun as I liked without caring about what people thought of me. I spent my eight years at that school caring way too much. :P

For a few days before the dinner, everyone seemed to be getting nervous about what they were going to say when they picked up their dates, because it's "proper" to compliment them - and that's a scary thought for many people. But I wasn't worried, because I was going with a really beautiful close friend. I didn't let it worry me, until I saw her and suddenly realised how important it was that I said something eloquent. I was speechless, so SHE walked up to me and said "You look nice" *radiant smile* and all I could stutter out was "You look better."

I spent a long time laughing about that with a mate afterwards. :o

Nora the Rover
July 1st, 2005, 08:43 PM
Most of my school proms are held at local reception areas - though the only school dances I've been to have been held in the gym.
My first date was actually at the Valentines Dance this past year. All the couples had to wear matching t-shirts; when we went to the restauraunt for dinner before the dance, everyone there gave us weird looks...
It was pretty fun, other than the cheesiness of wearing identical clothing - (My date and I practically have the same type of glasses...)
I felt rather sorry for him however - he was so nervous on the way there that he left the turning signal on for a few miles, and nearly took a wrong exit. :rolleyes: Poor guy.