PDA

View Full Version : Message for STCP visitors

Slagar the Cruel
January 20th, 2003, 07:30 PM
Don't worry - this isn't spam. I need to get this message out, though. Without being able to update my actual site (and lacking an active forum), I need to use the forums of several other Redwall sites to explain just what's going on with my site.

Recently, I moved my website, STCP, from Angelfire to Nelie.org. This meant an end to banners, and an opportunity to pursue a better site design. It was an important step in my site's development. Unfortunately, almost a month ago, Nelie.org just stopped working. I was unable to access my site through means of FTP, and their actual website was stuck on an endless loop of coding. STCP was left unupdated for about a month, as I waited for Nelie.org to become stable again.

I waited in vain. Recently, Nelie.org shut down completely, destroying STCP. In some ways, this is a good thing. Now it will become clear that something's wrong, and that I'm not just neglecting the site. Thankfully, the entire site remains intact on my hard drive. Unfortunately, it has nowhere to go.

I've looked for alternate free webhosts, but nothing has worked out. Everywhere I go, there's either a problem with speed, FTP-compatability, or ads. Let's face it, folks - free webhosting isn't what it used to be. I can't bring myself to go back to the old subpar version - it just wouldn't be the same after the second version. I doubt I'll have any luck finding a place that's "just right" for STCP that won't require money.

So, what will happen to STCP? I really don't know. I won't just let it die, though. I'll either figure something out in the way of purchasable webspace, or STCP's more popular features may have to seek new homes. The better part of STCP will come back eventually... whether it'll still be STCP by then is what I'm unsure of. Depending on the time it takes to find a new solution (IE if the thread is still around), I may or may not reply to this thread again with more information.

Despite this whole mess, I continue to work on some things (such as the new Vermin Invaders game and Redwall the Gathering) at the same pace as ever. I'm sure these two things, at least, will surface in time.

I know that I've mentioned this information at the LP before, but I just thought I'd reiterate it in a more obvious way.

dandin1
January 20th, 2003, 08:11 PM
well, you can always get a free webserver app and make your computer always running, so you got no one to blame cept you if it stops working! well, mabey the comp....

Darkhood_343
January 21st, 2003, 02:35 PM
I think I told you this once while we were chatting Slags, but I really like Brinkster. I mean, 30mb of space, no ads, and Brinkster doesn't look like crashing anytime soon. I'm using that for my site, and it's working like a charm. You really should try it out...

VanessaNB
January 21st, 2003, 04:35 PM
I was still going to the forums...even though no one else came for a verra long time. I don't know about free hosting, though...a lot of free hosts have enemies out there, like Geocities. And forum hosts...Evilboard...ugh.
As to your (updated) Monty Python thing: I saw the "It's..." guy last night. Watching Monty Python and the Flying Circus, heh, fonny. It weren't the one with the Spanish Inquisition though.

Slagar the Cruel
February 9th, 2003, 05:55 PM
Here's a bit of good news - I found a place to host STCP! It's technically not up yet, but you'll be able to find it here. (http://techneaux.mine.nu:81/~stcp/) STCP 3.0 should be up within a month. It'll probably be up before STCP's first birthday on the 24th. :)

Thanks for the suggestions! :D

dandin1
February 9th, 2003, 07:22 PM
hurray!!! For the grand re-opening can we get more screenshoots on VI2? :D

MoonShadow
February 10th, 2003, 07:30 PM
Hey, I can finally download VI! Er... but I have no winzip.... >.<

Lord_TBT
February 12th, 2003, 01:58 AM
i was going to reccomend freewebz.com
its what i use, only problem is theres absolutely no ftp compatiblity, you have to upload every file one at a time through their site manager. its 100mb of free space though, and no ads. not to shabby.

Darkhood_343
February 12th, 2003, 07:18 AM
Moon-moon
Hey, I can finally download VI! Er... but I have no winzip.... >.<
Same situation with me. >.< But the sites bcak up! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!