PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Windows Media Player

Jodan
July 13th, 2005, 11:02 AM
I am in the process of putting all of my music on my new computer. For some reason, everytime I try to search for the media info (song titles, artists, album titles, etc), Windows Media Player freezes up, and won't close immediately. The same thing happens when I try to type in the information manually. Does anyone know what's going on, or more importantly, how to fix it? Help is appreciated.

Cale Yin
July 13th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Do you ctrl+alt+del to close it? Or use Task Manager to close it? Maybe that spyware is slowing it down. ;)

Jodan
July 13th, 2005, 12:24 PM
I got it to close, after having to hit the End Task thing a zillion times. The problem I need resolved is why it's freezing up, why it says not responding when I try to type in the info, or get the media info.

Ferahgo the Assassin
July 13th, 2005, 02:26 PM
What version are you using? If it's not the latest, I'd suggest downloding (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/AllDownloads.aspx?displang=en&qstechnology=) it and trying that. That way you'll at least know whether it's your computer or not.

Josiah the Warrior
July 13th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Like Cale said, you may have some sort of Spyware or virus, I'd suggest downloading Lavasoft Adware (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/), which is a great (and free!) program. Might as well try it.

Jodan
July 13th, 2005, 03:01 PM
It should be the latest, since it came on my new computer, and I'm pretty sure it's not spyware or anything, because I ran what I have and it didn't pick up anything that would affect media player.

Lyrian Aryns
July 13th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Hm... well, I don't actually know how to fix media player, but... you could always use something like MusicMatch or Winamp instead.

Cale Yin
July 13th, 2005, 04:13 PM
The spyware detectors you already have may not be able to catch everything. You should ask Dandin what to do. Oh Daaanndeeee...

Jodan
July 13th, 2005, 04:38 PM
I have Spybot, Ad-Aware, Webroot Spysweeper, and Norton Antivirus. I'd say I'm pretty protected. It's not spyware.

Ferahgo the Assassin
July 13th, 2005, 04:43 PM
I would uninstall the program, download a new version, and try that.

Jodan
July 13th, 2005, 05:06 PM
I suppose I'll have to. I can't find any reason why it's doing this. To update on what I said earlier, I can input the media info, for example a song title, but it locks up WMP for a few seconds to a few minutes. ARG!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING!!!!!!

And how does one go about uninstalling WMP? As far as I can tell, it's built into Windows XP.

Cale Yin
July 13th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Maybe you should call that tech support you paid for? :D

Jodan
July 13th, 2005, 06:02 PM
I reinstalled it, and it appears to be working now. Go figure.