PDA

View Full Version : Summer Reading List

Lord Servone
July 15th, 2005, 04:39 PM
I don't think there's been a reading topic in a while. To those of you not spending all your time sitting in front of the TV or playing video games or whatever else you're doing, what are you currently reading or have plans to read this summer?

I'm currently reading a book called American Brutus by Michael W. Kauffman, a book about John Wilkes Booth and the Lincoln conspiracies. A pretty insightful book that I've been wanting to read for a while. After that I plan on reading Bruce Campbell's autobiography If Chins Could Kill. Alongside them, I'm also reading Richard III by William Shakespeare and will probably read a couple of more plays before the summer is over.

What I've read so far this summer:
-Titus Andronicus by William Shakespeare
-The Comedy of Errors by William Shakespeare (I performed in it, but I still read the script so it counts)
-Dealer's Choice by Patrick Marber
-After Ms. Julie by Patrick Marber
-Closer by Patrick Marber
-Doubt by John Patrick Shanley

Asmodeus
July 15th, 2005, 05:14 PM
LOTR, i'm currently reading "The Hobbit"

Jodan
July 15th, 2005, 05:17 PM
I've read so many books this summer, I can't remember them all. I read most of the Clone Wars novels, about 7 books or so, a three-in-one book called the Book of Jhereg by Stephen Brust, the First Book of Swords by Fred Sabrehagen, Harry Potter #5 by Rowling, the Cabinet of Curiosities, Brimstone, and the Dance of Death (All three of those are by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child), the Codex by Douglas Preston. I've started reading the Essential X-Men and the Essential Iron-Man. I have a huge number of books that I have yet to read. I finished Harry Potter #5 yesterday, rereading it in anticipation of the HBP, which I am supposed to be getting tomorrow.

Cale Yin
July 15th, 2005, 06:20 PM
I read Triss this summer and also Howl's Moving Castle, which is the newest Miyazaki film. I planned to reread Middlesex and find the last DragonCrown (by Michael Stackpole) book, annnd um... The Narnia books, all of those; and more that I can't think of now.

Lonna Bowstripe
July 15th, 2005, 08:19 PM
I read a lot of Poe, among others. I am planning to read Every Living Thing by James Herriot, to finish up the series.

Josiah the Warrior
July 15th, 2005, 09:50 PM
I read Triss this summer and also Howl's Moving Castle, which is the newest Miyazaki film
I thought it was a Ghibli film?

Felldoh
July 15th, 2005, 10:00 PM
I thought it was a Ghibli film?

Miyazaki is part of Ghibli. :p

Sagrived Switpaw
July 15th, 2005, 10:13 PM
I am reading the chronicles of narnia.

I am done The silver chair, the Magicians nephew and I am half way through The lion, the witch and the wardrobe. (just started three days ago)

Also a fue Patrick Mcmannus books. (he's the tops in outdoor humor)

Josiah the Warrior
July 15th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Miyazaki is part of Ghibli. :p
I seeee. :slagar

I love Ghibli films, I'm not huge on anime but I have a friend that is and he has downloaded and showed me all of Ghibli's movie's and they're all fantastic. I think Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away are my favorites.

Baby Rollo
July 15th, 2005, 10:32 PM
I'm reading a ton of manga right now both on my computer as well as in book format. The series I am currently reading on the internet are Gantz, Pretty Face, and Naisho no Tsubomi.

The manga books I am planning to read are Tsukihime, Short Cuts, xxxholics, and Galaxy Angel volumes 4, 5, and Galaxy Angel Party.

As for actual literature, I am planning to read Catch-22 as well as the two Bruce Campbell autobiographies If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B-Movie Actor and his latest book Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way.

And I guess I'll read the bible or something.

Ferahgo the Assassin
July 15th, 2005, 10:39 PM
I've been reading all of Richard Dawkins' books and am currently on The Ancestor's Tale. I'm looking forward to the next installment of Harry Potter, and have a few other things laying around that I'd like to read before summer's through.

Bladeswift
July 15th, 2005, 10:40 PM
For school I've read Life of Pi and The Bean Trees. I hated both, but then my school wouldn't have assigned them if they were actually worth reading, so no surprises there.

For pleasure I've read Halo: First Strike, along with finishing The Darkness series with Jaws of Darkness, and Out of the Darkness.

I'm still reading but have not yet finished The Guns of the South. Of course I plan to read the new Harry Potter book as soon as it is released.

LoritheQuestor
July 15th, 2005, 11:16 PM
I'm currently reading "We All Fall Down" by Robert Cormier

I've read:

"To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee
"The Rag and Bone Shop" by Robert Cormier
"Speak" by Laurie Anderson
"Hoot" by Carl Hiaasen
"Shane" by Jack Schaefer
"The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams

I still have to read "A Farewell to Arms" for school.

Aubretia
July 15th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Should be getting HP6 soon, so I'll be reading that. I'm also reading The Soddit- the send-up of 'The Hobbit'. It's pretty funny.

Rimrose
July 16th, 2005, 09:58 AM
I've read several books by Robin McKinley this summer... Beauty, Spindle's End and the Outlaws of Sherwood Forest. I've also read quite a few biographies and several books by Ann Coulter.

Right now, I'm reading Briar Rose by Jane Yolen and Rewriting History by Dick Morris. I plan on reading HP6 when Martin finishes it (probably tomorrow ;) ). I have another stack of books that I hope to get through before fall.

Keyla
July 16th, 2005, 12:24 PM
The books I have saved from packing in the hope of reading them are:

Othello, Anthony and Cleopatra, Titus Andronicus, The Merry Wives of Winsor, Hamlet and Twelfth Night by Shakespeare, having never read the first four, having skim-read Hamlet and just liking Twelfth Night;

Rakkety Tam, another reread;

Emma and Persuasion by Jane Austen;

Anna Karenina by Tolstoy;

The second half of Mrs Dalloway by Virgina Woolf;

And assorted books I have to read for my course next year.

It's a good thing I have such a long holiday this year.

The Comedy of Errors by William Shakespeare (I performed in it, but I still read the script so it counts)

Snap! :) We did our production, just a week ago. It was great fun; it may not be one of Shakespeare's "better plays", but it is certainly is a good laugh.

If you are looking for any more plays I recommend trying Euripideas. Those I have read have been short, snappy and shocking. Hecuba is a great starting place. Just take care to get a non-stuffy translation; nothing can ruin it more than that.

Renegade
July 17th, 2005, 08:47 PM
So far i've read...

The whole Deptford Mice and Histories series
Journey Into Darkness by John Douglas
Don Quixote (half of it, anyway)
A Series of Unfortunate Events (1-3)
The Talisman of Troy by Valerio Massimo Manfredi
Silver Brumby, Silver Dingo by Elyne Mitchell
Brumbies of the Night by Elyne Mitchell

And that's about it, i think.

I currently hoping some kind soul will offer to buy me the new Harry Potter book. :p

Furrtil
July 17th, 2005, 08:59 PM
I've read half of Don Quixote, too! The only trouble is that I seem to have lost the book, so I can't exactly read the other half. The version I have was published in 1932 or something like that, so the English is very old and formal. Also, throughout the book, Don Quixote never said anything. He only quoth.

Grath
July 17th, 2005, 11:34 PM
so far this summer I have read.

The thirteeth warrior by Micheal Chriton
Jurrassic Park by Micheal Chriton
Tales from Watership Down by Richard Adams
Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy by Douglas Adams
The Long Patrol by Brian Jacques
Marlfox by Brian Jacques

Currently reading (the) Taggerung by BJ

Hope to read Harry Potter and The Half Blood Prince soon. I am planning on buying it at the end of the month when mom gives me all that money she owes me.

I also hope to read "Timeline" By Micheal Chriton

Rush Limbaugh
July 18th, 2005, 12:54 AM
Titus Is An Awesome Play!!!!!!!

PiarasJ
July 18th, 2005, 03:13 AM
I read Don Quixote not long ago too, it's very long isn't it. O.O It's pretty funny too.

I just re-read the Narnia series, and now I'm halfway through Moby Dick. I was given MD and The Count of Monte Cristo for my birthday, so once I've finished Moby Dick I'll start the other one. I had no idea The CMC was so long, it's starting to push all my cd's off my bookshelf. I need a cd rack. :\

Moby Dick doesn't really have a story does it? So far Ishmael has boarded a Whaler with a savage, they've lowered for a whale and had their boat smashed, and he's done a whole lot of thinking. It shocked me when after reading about a third of the book and hearing nothing about sailing and a LOT about silly people who can't draw whales and how cool Nantucketers are whereas English people are stupid...he suddenly said that the ship was just south of St. Helena. They had covered half the globe and I thought they'd only just left the dock. :\

Cale Yin
July 18th, 2005, 09:50 AM
I think I remember really enjoying Count of Monte Christo. I tried to watch the movie but kept falling asleep or something. :\ 20,000 Leagues is another good one.

Goshawk
July 18th, 2005, 01:05 PM
I've read lots of stuff this summer, but I've only read seven pages of the book I'm supposed to read for school..... Walden... ugghhh... it's even more tedious than Machiavelli... and it's longer... just shoot me now, please.

Jodan
July 18th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Gar, I own so many books that I haven't read yet, but with the release of the sixth Harry Potter book, I've decided to reread the first four (I read OotP right before HBP came out). I finished with the SS today. I need to stop going to Half-Price Books, because I always find new stuff there that I have to get just then.

Jandura
July 18th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Let's see

So far I've read:
The entire Heritage Trilogy by Ian Douglas (Possibly could be made into movies)
Op-Center: War of Eagles (Created by Tom Clancy and Steve Pieczenik, But written by some other dude)
Red Rabbit by Tom Clancy (Some ripples on the Net about this fine book being made into a movie in the next two years)
Rakkety Tam (Reread)
Warday By Jim Kunetka and Whitley Strieber (The way this book was written confused me as to if these were the authors' real names. Read the book to find out why. It should definitely be made into a movie)
1984 by George Orwell (Should be made into a movie. There is a movie based of the basic theme of this book. It's called Equilibrium. Go rent it.)

I probably will read:
Any Brian Jacques book
Ice By Shane Johnson
Ender's game By Orson Scott Card
And some others from my personal library

Renegade
July 18th, 2005, 08:56 PM
I like Op-Center, although i don't get to read it much because the library doesn't have much of the later parts of the series. But I've read all the earlier books. :D

The last one I read was Call to Treason.
I remember being furious that Rodgers was 'retrenched' (and quite offended that Hood didn't offer to resign in protest).

Jandura
July 18th, 2005, 11:49 PM
War of Eagles is the newest one in the series and, to qoute my bro, "It seemed to tie the story off too much. It had a feeling of an end to it."

Treerose
July 19th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Mmm.... books! :)

I love seeing Shakespeare being read - yeah! :)

I actually have time to read this summer, despite being at another music festival. I have even more time now that I'm done with marking bowings into string parts (which I had to do for a kind of work-study thing), so I've been reading up a storm in these past few weeks.

The main stuff I've read so far:

Hard Times - Charles Dickens
The Holly-Tree Inn and other Stories - Dickens
Sketches by Boz - Dickens
Wee Willie Winkie & Other Stories - Rudyard Kipling

and I'm currently in the midst of:

Shakespeare sonnets (up to #92 as of now)
Metamorphoses - Ovid
Silas Marner - George Eliot
Henry Esmond - W. M. Thackeray
an introduction to Aristotle

Also an old Greek grammar - I wanted to pick up Greek again this summer, so now I'm bogged down in the slough of numerous paradigms... :o

I've really been on a Dickens kick, but I just can't get enough of his books lately. For me, Dickens' extraordinary humor and his way of describing things are practically unparalleled. I'd never read any of his short stories before this summer, and some of them may sound dull in terms of plot (e.g. describing his neighbors, a certain house, certain occupations, etc) but they're absolutely fascinating to read.

Harry Potter I haven't read (yet!), and it's agonizing during orchestra rehearsals to see all these chunky books continually being fished out from hiding spots in instrument cases or under chairs and surreptitiously read during rests and tacits and the like. The conductor has spotted some of them, but as of now is tolerant of their presence, although he says he's going to wait for the movie. ;)

Tree

~~~~

"I think I should have no other mortal wants, if I could always have plenty of music. It seems to infuse strength into my limbs and ideas into my brain. Life seems to go on without effort, when I am filled with music."

~George Eliot~

Keyla
July 19th, 2005, 03:47 PM
I should be interested to hear your take on Silas Marner, Tree. It is obviously regarded as a "classic", but my English teacher managed to make me and the rest of my class dislike it, nay rather hate it with unquenchable venom and desire to see every copy of it burned in one giant bonfire, when I read it about three years ago. However, every other person I know who has read has been enraptured by it. I am considering re-reading it when I get a chance.

The sonnets are crying out for a read. I have tended to get into the plays rather than the poetry, having read only Lucree, and that was quite some time ago.

Speaking of readingHalf Blood Prince, my stepsister has just emerged from her room- actually, it's my room, but that's a long story- having spent all her time when not eating or at school therein, reading first The Order of the Pheonix then Half Blood Prince in three days. It makes my reading habits feel sluggish. I have just finished Rakkety Tam and am now starting Emma.

KitsuneRose
July 19th, 2005, 11:17 PM
I read Harry Potter 1-6, Yu Yu Hakusho vol. 7 (manga), and that's been about it, I'm ashamed to admit. Well, if you count all the books I've been reading on applying to college and stuff, the list would be substantially longer. I took out a book from the library that I plan to read now that I'm done with Harry Potter that's called Thinner Than Thou. After seeing Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, I feel I should really read the book as well.

Renegade
July 21st, 2005, 02:47 AM
I've read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory... as such, I just can't face watching the movie.

Treerose
July 24th, 2005, 06:35 PM
I should be interested to hear your take on Silas Marner, Tree. It is obviously regarded as a "classic", but my English teacher managed to make me and the rest of my class dislike it, nay rather hate it with unquenchable venom and desire to see every copy of it burned in one giant bonfire, when I read it about three years ago. However, every other person I know who has read has been enraptured by it. I am considering re-reading it when I get a chance.

A somewhat belated reply... I haven't had much computer-time this week. ;)

I just finished Silas Marner today, and enjoyed it very much. I was expecting a kind of Thomas Hardy novel (not that there's anything wrong with him for those who like him... just for me, he's not my cup of tea) and I was very pleasantly surprised.

I guess teachers make classes hate it with all the studying/analyzing that drains classics of proper enjoyment... fortunately, I was spared that. My edition wasn't totally devoid of schoolishness, though, as it came with footnotes, some not needed, but others were actually useful in shedding light on antiquated customs. ;)

I think you'd enjoy it out of the classroom, Keyla. Watching Silas' character develop throughout the plot is interesting, and I'm caught by Eliot's writing style. It's detailed and vivid, yet not overly-complicated and always remains lucid. The plot was pretty easy to anticipate, but one doesn't always need dramatic plot twists and turns to keep one interested. ;) I especially liked the ending - I am a HUGE fan of happy endings!

The sonnets are crying out for a read. I have tended to get into the plays rather than the poetry, having read only Lucree, and that was quite some time ago.

I finished the sonnets, too, and the rest of the incidental poetry. The sonnets are interesting, to say the least. There were some especial gems - if I was reading one of my own copies (I used a library book), I'd have marked the ones I really liked so I could read them over again sometime in the future.

But they are puzzling, as to whether they're autobiographical or if some are written just for the poetry and not necessarily about a real person. Because if it's the former, then that brings up the question of to whom and how many people they're addressed to - I saw descriptions of at least three different people to whom Shakespeare is supposedly pledging his undivided, undying love. ;)

I have no idea about any backstory for the sonnets, so now I'm curious to find out more. But then again, everything about Shakespeare's life is so obscure, there may not be much to find out...

I read Lucrece, too... hm. It was hard for me not to look at the plot with 21st century eyes, but as with other of Shakespeare's work, he didn't come up with the story, so I just tried to ignore any frustrations that rose in response to the plot and focus on the style. ;)

Anyway, I'm glad to have read the sonnets at last. I've wanted to for a long time, but other than the gems I mentioned earlier... I'm going to stick with the plays. ;)

Tree

~~~~~

"Stupid criticism and still more stupid praise."

~Giuseppe Verdi, speaking of the press notices of Aida~