PDA

View Full Version : Charlie and The Chocolate Factory (or, more from Depp)

Wormerwing
July 17th, 2005, 08:46 PM
So, anyone see it?

I loved it. It was, in my opinion, the total opposite of the musical, and suited the book just as well, but in a different way. Depp was amazing, Freddie Highmore played a terrific Charlie. Very good

(If there's already a topic on this, sorry, I didn't see one)

Cale Yin
July 17th, 2005, 09:28 PM
I meant to start a topic on this movie, musta forgot.

I saw it opening day. I loved it. It had bright colors, lots of candy, Danny Elfman music, bad children getting what they deserve, Johnny Depp, a little dark humor, and a happy ending. This makes it a perfect movie in my eyes. I must own it.

My favorite part was the opening stuff, with the zooming around the factory and the glorious Danny Elfman theme... yez.

Jodan
July 18th, 2005, 12:07 AM
I just got back from seeing it. I was absolutely thrilled! I howled with laughter almost the whole movie. Depp was perfect as Wonka, very wierd, and very smart-alecy, just like Gene Wilder's Wonka, and hilarious. But what I loved the best about the movie was that it didn't try to remake the 70's Willy Wonka movie, starring Gene Wilder. I loved the original, and this one was just as good. The plot alterations, the Oompa Loompa songs, the kids who lose, was all perfectly suited to a modernized version. I really loved the many different Oompa Loompa songs, with a rock and roll one, a hippy folk one, a techno one, it was great! It was the funniest movie I've seen in a long time.

Rush Limbaugh
July 18th, 2005, 12:07 AM
I just saw it....like i just got home from it....great movie....in my opinion better than the first one...but thats just me....

LordTBT
July 18th, 2005, 12:09 AM
Just got back from it. I liked the original better. Depp's Wonka was too effeminate, and they changed the storyline too much for my liking.

Lord Servone
July 18th, 2005, 12:19 AM
I saw it today. I arrived a little late so I missed a bit of the opening narration and the opening credits.
Anyway, I thought it was really good. You can't really compare the two movies "Charlie and..." and "Willy Wonka and..." as I thought they were really different movies. This one was a lot truer to the book, as I remember it (its been a looong time since I read it).
I thought Depp gave another good performance (he's one of those actors that could probably play any role given to him well). The Oompa Loompas were hilarious too. They were truer to the book forms. I'm kinda tempted to buy the soundtrack...I've been addicted to that Willy Wonka "Small World" song ever since I heard it in the trailer. Its very annoying but by DARN its cathcy. The Oompa Loompa songs were pretty cool too. I guess the lyrics were Roald Dahl's own, which I had no idea of...I didn't remember Oompa Loompa songs in the book.
Christopher Lee's part was hilarious, imo...at least when he was going through young Willy's candy...he was just doing it so darkly and seriously it was funny. I thought the squirrels were really cool too.
Augustus Gloop was probably one of the creepiest parts of the movie. He just looked very creepy. His introduction was one of my favorite parts of the first movie...because the dad ate the microphone. xP

Tim Burton's made another great film.
One of my only complaints was the kid sitting behind me asking questions about what was happening and why people did something and if the movie was over yet...but thats no fault of the movie's.

Interesting note: the screenwriter never saw the first movie until after he finsihed the script. He said that he was shocked to see how much darker the original was than his own.

I'm glad, though, that Burton has no interest in making Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator...I hated that book.

LordTBT
July 18th, 2005, 12:31 AM
This one was a lot truer to the book, as I remember it (its been a looong time since I read it).

Burton changed the ending and he made up the whole "daddy issues" Wonka had. True to the book? Uh no.

I guess the lyrics were Roald Dahl's own, which I had no idea of...I didn't remember Oompa Loompa songs in the book.

Yep. I don't get why no one else realized this. The songs were all the same lyrics.

At any rate, I prefered the other film because of the musical aspect, "I've got a golden ticket" and "oompa-loompa-doompity-do" made it fun I thought.

I don't think Burton would be able to hire midgets and say they were playing oompa loompas in today's society.

the screenwriter never saw the first movie until after he finsihed the script. He said that he was shocked to see how much darker the original was than his own.

Never seen it? I find that incredibly hard to believe.

Jodan
July 18th, 2005, 12:38 AM
I loved the daddy issues bit. Christopher Lee was great, and I loved the burning of the candy.

Lord Servone
July 18th, 2005, 02:13 AM
Burton changed the ending and he made up the whole "daddy issues" Wonka had. True to the book? Uh no.....

Never seen it? I find that incredibly hard to believe.

Well, there are a few liberties taken, as in all movies. As I said, I haven't read the book in a loooong time. The Oompa Loompas were more like the book as were a lot of elements. Charlie's father was in the book and the children's appearances at the end...though I wish they would've included Wonka's comments about them. And sure, they had to change Mike Teavee....I mean, watching lots of TV not as big a deal as it used to be (that was never mentioned by you, but I thought I would just mention it). Liberties taken, but it was still true to the book in a lot of respects.

And you'll be surprised how many people haven't seen the Wilder movie. Its sinful, but I was shocked at how many people at college never saw it. I even know a person who thought this was a sequel to the first movie (he thought that Willy Wonka was the owner of the factory in the 70's one and in this one Charlie's the owner. He hadn't seen the film until recently.)

Baby Rollo
July 18th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Anyway, I thought it was really good. You can't really compare the two movies "Charlie and..." and "Willy Wonka and..." as I thought they were really different movies. This one was a lot truer to the book, as I remember it (its been a looong time since I read it).

Except that the Gene Wilder version was an improvement to the actual book. At least the Oompa Loompas weren't little black pygmies and at least Charlie had a reason for actually being picked by Wonka since in the book he was chosen because he was the only one left not because he gave back the everlasting gobbstopper.

LordTBT
July 18th, 2005, 08:18 AM
(he thought that Willy Wonka was the owner of the factory in the 70's one and in this one Charlie's the owner. He hadn't seen the film until recently.)

Has your friend even read the book or anything about the movies? :eek:

At any rate, I vastly prefer the Wilder version. Although I read that Dahl hated it, so he refused to let the studio do 'The Great Glass Elevator'.

I always liked that book though.

Storm Swiftblade
July 18th, 2005, 11:01 AM
I haven't seen it yet, though I would like to. Sounds good.

Darson the Warrior
July 25th, 2005, 09:50 PM
I don't want to see the new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie. Only because I don't care to much for remakes of movies. :rolleyes:

LordTBT
July 25th, 2005, 11:34 PM
I don't want to see the new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie. Only because I don't care to much for remakes of movies. :rolleyes:

Well technically it's not a re-make. It's Burton's interpretation of Dahl's book.

It's not a musical.(which turned me off to it)

Bladeswift
July 26th, 2005, 12:30 AM
The movie looks too...for want of a better word, demented, for my taste.

Felldoh
July 26th, 2005, 12:43 AM
No desire to see it.

Cheesethief
July 26th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Seeing it on Friday, when it comes out here. Can't say recent trailers have terribly impressed me. It looks like another run-of-the-mill children's adventure, and Jonny Depp looks like a prat, to be honest. He's not funny, either.

And I don't think it can cap the original, with Wilder. Even if the first film made out that Wonka was the hero.

Darson the Warrior
July 26th, 2005, 11:41 AM
The movie looks too...for want of a better word, demented, for my taste.
That's what I meant to say. I also meant to say that it sounds a little to childish. Maybe it's just me thinking that though.