PDA

View Full Version : Titles?

Fenglaz the Cannibal
July 24th, 2005, 04:28 PM
How does one ascend in rank? (i.e., from Dibbun to Patroller) I've had a number of theories, probably all of them incorrect. Instead of straying from the point, will someone be so kind as to tell me?

Felldoh
July 24th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Patroller at 100 posts. Patroller: General at 2000. Patroller: Emeritus picked for special people.

Lonna Bowstripe
July 24th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Patroller: Retired at something. Nobody's reached it yet; I think it's 5000, though.

LordTBT
July 24th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Please use the search function. There's a thread asking this on just about every page ;)

Fenglaz the Cannibal
July 24th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Oh, so one of my theories was correct. That's a big surprise.

To the below: I know. I was just wondering. ;) Wondering and going off into a tangent are the reasons for most knowledge in the former and evolution in the latter.

Actually, I don't see the purpose of rank. Is it for knowing how long somebody's been on the site?

Cale Yin
July 24th, 2005, 09:52 PM
The goal is not the rank. Trying to ascend in rank creates posts that are inclined more towards spam. The point is not the rank; the point is intelligent, meaningful contributions to the discussions.

Cheesethief
July 25th, 2005, 06:19 AM
Actually, I don't see the purpose of rank. Is it for knowing how long somebody's been on the site? Pretty much. Dibbuns are newbies, Patroller upwards means you've shown a fair level of commitment (although I think the post count should be higher), and Patroller: General means that you're basically addicted the to LP. I'm not sure the Retired rank exists anymore, though. There used to be a whole load of ranks, like Sergeant and Abbey Recorder, but people spammed. That was before my time, anyway. As for Emeritii, they're handpicked loyal servants of Martin. And Scribes are moderators. As for Treerose, she's just special.

Cale Yin
July 25th, 2005, 09:06 AM
There were about 10 different levels of Patrollers- they were similar to the ones in the military... I forget the names... Recorder was something like 50 to 100 posts, then the Patrollers until 1000: Patroller: Sergeant, Patroller: Colonel, etc.

Lyrian Aryns
July 25th, 2005, 09:55 AM
If anybody's actually interested, the old ranks went like this:

0 - Dibbun
25 - Apprentice
50 - Recorder
75 - Warrior
100 - Patroller
200 - Patroller: Private
300 - Patroller: Sergeant
400 - Patroller: Corporal
500 - Patroller: Lieutenant
600 - Patroller: Captain
700 - Patroller: Colonel
800 - Patroller: Major
900 - Patroller: Brigadier
1000 - Patroller: General
1100 - Patroller: Retired

..as for why I actually remember all that... eh... no comment. :p I think originally it was just the first five ranks, with all the extra patrollers added on [extrapolating here] for fun and because folks were reaching the Patroller rank rather quickly. That was before my time, though.

But yeah, the ranks are pretty much there for fun. Taking them too seriously is bad.

Hisk
July 25th, 2005, 01:16 PM
I like having just a few ranks because it lowers spam ammounts. There's really just one hurdle to cross, and after that there is no real reason to spam to gain extra posts. Some sites I've seen are full of spam because of all the ranks they have given.

Martin the Warrior
July 25th, 2005, 07:12 PM
I'm not sure the Retired rank exists anymore, though.

It does. It's just very unlikely we'll see it anytime soon. ;)

As for Treerose, she's just special.

Tree's title is due to the fact that she's a Charter Member of the club. Hon Rosie and springy also have that title. Can't forget them. ;) The remaining two Charters (MarielRose and Cornflower) don't post here.

Cheesethief
July 26th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Lyrian, I think you got a couple mixed up, or maybe Martin did, because Sergeant is a higher rank than Corporal, and a Colonel is more important than a Major.

And Martin...what does the title "Charter Member" actually mean?

Lyrian Aryns
July 26th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Aheh... I'm blaming Martin. :p

Martin the Warrior
July 31st, 2005, 01:58 PM
And Martin...what does the title "Charter Member" actually mean?

"Original" and/or "Distinguished Service", essentially. Hon Rosie, MarielRose, and Cornflower were individuals whose participation and ideas helped shape the club from the get-go-- all three joined the club on the day it was created (August 15th, 1996). Treerose and Clearspring joined five months later, but their contributions to the club were no less important and they're recognized for it.

Aheh... I'm blaming Martin.

Well, I blame you. :p I do believe Sergeant and Corporal got flipped, but there's no way I had Colonel before Major. ;)

Lyrian Aryns
July 31st, 2005, 02:02 PM
Yeah, well... the post counts aren't exactly there for me to go check! What do you expect me to do, go look up the actual ranks or something? That's, like, work... :p

*ducks and runs*

Cheesethief
August 1st, 2005, 08:22 AM
:lol:

"Original" and/or "Distinguished Service", essentially. Hon Rosie, MarielRose, and Cornflower were individuals whose participation and ideas helped shape the club from the get-go-- all three joined the club on the day it was created (August 15th, 1996). Treerose and Clearspring joined five months later, but their contributions to the club were no less important and they're recognized for it. Ok. Which reminds me, are we getting a vBulletin update any time soon? 3.0.8's out, and 3.5 is looming. Why don't you get a pre-release version?

Martin the Warrior
August 2nd, 2005, 09:48 PM
Why, Cheesethief-- are you asking me to shut down the forum for an afternoon so that I can upgrade it? ;)

I was planning on waiting for 3.5 to avoid doing it twice.

LordTBT
August 2nd, 2005, 09:57 PM
and TBT joined the club 5 months later too, but he didnt make significant contributions.

Martin the Warrior
August 2nd, 2005, 10:12 PM
You know I'm too polite to ever put it that way, TBT. ;)

Yes.

:D

LordTBT
August 3rd, 2005, 01:09 AM
You know I'm too polite to ever put it that way, TBT. ;)

Yes.

:D

And Martin likes surrounding himself with women, and TBT just happens to be male.

PiarasJ
August 3rd, 2005, 06:55 AM
And Martin likes surrounding himself with women, and TBT just happens to be male. *dies laughing*

...and that's all I have to say.

Cheesethief
August 3rd, 2005, 01:41 PM
:lol:

Why, Cheesethief-- are you asking me to shut down the forum for an afternoon so that I can upgrade it? :D So that you can get rid of that floating LP logo at the top of the forums. Honestly, it's an eyesore.