PDA

View Full Version : Animals Not Found In Redwall

LadyBeelze
January 28th, 2003, 09:14 PM
Is there a species that you would like to see in a redwall book that has never been in any or not talked about much. (ex: wolfs, sparrows, beavers, etc). And why? Also would you consider that animal to be vermin or not? What weapon would it fancy? Would it have a strange accent or speak in a strange language? Just go on with it

Lord Servone
January 28th, 2003, 10:11 PM
Beavers have already been established as being goodbeasts, from "Redwall"... I think they would use slings as their weapons and talk like the otters, though slightly impaired with their large inscisors...

Wolves are probably the equivalent to dragons in our world...they are viewed as being mythical, thus I see them as being a mysterious neutral creature...I don't think they would speak in the books (but howl...). I don't think they would be found in Mossflower.

Now, animals that have had no reference in Redwall at all?

Maybe Raccoons... they're stereotyped as clever thieves in our world, why not in the Redwall world? I would say they use small arms, such as daggers and knives. They wouldn't be vermin but still would be robbers... leaning towards them being goodbeasts... I think they would have regular accents, like other Redwall creatures, though with kind of an early British American Colony way of speaking... they wouldn't be found in Mossflower...maybe they are encountered on one of the warrior's journies west...

Wolverines.... I see them as being the counter to the badger lords, from the Northlands. I see them as being just like the badgers, only evil... use weapons of powerful creatures such as axes, maces, and spears...

Though I think these would cool to include in future Redwall books, I hope it doesn't happen...the last thing I need is to have more similiarities between my stuff and Redwall :/

Treerose
January 28th, 2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by LadyBeelzebumon
Is there a species that you would like to see in a redwall book that has never been in any or not talked about much.

Cockatiels! ;) (i.e. the crested wonder in my avatar. <g>)

Well, seriously... I would like to see more birds in BJ's stories. ;) We've had sparrows, robins, and house martins before (as well as the little bird (can't remember the species) that chirped "gonna aitcha, gonna aitcha" in Martin the Warrior) , so I'd love to see more commonly found British birds along those sizes, such as chaffinches, wrens, bullfinches, yellowhammers, goldcrests, etc.

Their speech would be really interesting to read, too - very quick and twittery, but not as abrupt as the Sparras, and more articulate, too, I'd think, since many of them can sing well. The speech of larger birds like turtle doves would be fun as well - something like a rather ponderous, yet melodious dialect. As for what side they'd be on, all of BJ's little birds are friendlys, so I'm sure these would be as well. It'd be especially great to have another bird sidekick like Skarlath. ;)

And hey, now that I've thought about it, why not a cockatiel? It could... uh... float in on a log from some tropical island like Sampetra. ;)

Tree

~~~~

"That's the way Stravinsky was -- Bup, bup, bup - The poor guy's dead now. Play it legato."

~Eugene Ormandy~

Ah, that dratted Stravinsky staccato we spend so much time working on. <g> As the teachers say, "The attack is more important than the length of the note, etc."

VanessaNB
January 29th, 2003, 05:25 PM
I saw a cocktail in a petstore once, and he wasn't happy to see me!
Anyway...I think a mink would be cool. They look like a solid, blackish brown ferret, with a white patch on it's chin, about the size of a cat but not nearly as heavy. They have the same body and head shape of a ferret, kinda round and pointy at the same time. There is actually a species of mink in the Old World, but they're very rare, and smaller too I think. I've seen a mink in real life, which is kinda special 'cause they like to hide-away, and they're just plain cool. And they've got webbed toes! Who wouldn't want webbed toes?
They might wear a sou'wester, sweaters, or those plaid shirts you see fishermen wearing. I gots pictures, I know the people who took them, don't know if workshttp://home.klis.com/~thejones/water11.JPG (http://home.klis/~thejones/)
They would probably use cutlasses or sabres and other piratey things. And a nautical accent.
Mink would probably be neutral or vermin.

Darkhood_343
January 29th, 2003, 09:01 PM
Me, I would like to see probably, just plain weird things. Really, just plain weid and creepy things.

Slagar the Cruel
January 29th, 2003, 10:38 PM
I agree with Tree, in that I'd like to see more birds. Come to think of it, a whole bird book would be pretty interesting... but that's another subject.

I'd like a beaver or too as well. The solitary beaver MUST get lonely (;)), and I think beavers would work as reoccuring, speaking characters.

Wolverines? Now, those would be interesting. Larger, stronger, (almost certainly) evil versions of badgers? Heck, a wolverine appearing in Mossflower could be the basic for an entire book. But I don't think they'd fit in with Mossflower - a bit too distant from Britain.

Minks, if you ignore the geographic seperation, would probably fit in well... though I can't imagine them being anything more than semi-aquatic weasels. Maybe a foil to the otters?

[Note: yes, there is a European variety of Mink which might find it's way to England at times. They don't have webbed feet, though, so what's the point? :cool:]

Martin the Warrior
January 30th, 2003, 12:15 AM
In a certain sense, Brian's restricting animals to "those native to the British Isle" is, well, restricting. ;)

Long exposure to the ROC (I hesitate to use the term as this is more exposure to other fans, not websites specifically), however, has made me lean towards raccoons. It's the one animal that has constantly cropped up in these types of discussions over the years and is most in keeping with Redwall, in my mind. It would be nice to see Brian give the fans what they want. Servone's suggestion of making them Robin Hood type characters is intriguing and would add a fresh dynamic to Mossflower.

Treerose
January 30th, 2003, 01:46 PM
Well, I like just sticking to UK animals...adds to the charm of Redwall. ;)

For those interested, I found a list of animals native to the UK:

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/science/projects/fff/ChekMams.htm

How about a Common Pipistrelle or yellow necked mouse? ;)

This next site has some interesting background about British animals, which prompted the thought: what if BJ wrote a story that included an animal that's extinct now? I don't see any reason why not, since we're not dealing with Redwall in a "modern" age. ::gets a vision of an aurochs stampeding about Redwall Abbey:: ;) Anyway, if anyone's curious, go to:

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/mammal/facts.htm

and click on "A Short History of British Mammals." Also includes a list of species introduced to the UK.

This stuff just covers mammals, of course, but I'm sure there's all kinds of reptiles and crustaceans that shouldn't be left out, too.

Tree

~~~~

"I am an inventor of music."

~Igor Stravinsky~

Please tell me he wasn't be serious... ;)

VanessaNB
January 30th, 2003, 04:16 PM
Eh? I thought European mink had webbed feet too? Then again, I don't think sea otters are native to Britain either. There aren't supposed to be sea otters around here either, but I've heard about 'em.
How about a sea mink? They lived in N.A. until the settlers came in and wiped them out. That's a few hundred years ago, but actually pretty recent comapred to say, dinosaurs?

Treerose
January 30th, 2003, 07:05 PM
Sea mink would be interesting, if it was British. But maybe it could be a voyager from far across the seas. ;)

Eheh...forgot about dinosaurs... I guess there is a limit to what kinds of extinct creatures would work in Redwall. ;)

Tree

~~~~

"A painter paints his pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence. We provide the music, and you provide the silence."

~Leopold Stokowski, conductor of the Philadelphia Orchestra (and the guy from the first Fantasia)~

Russus Robur
January 30th, 2003, 07:46 PM
I think that a chipmunk or a groundhog would be great to be used in a story or two. The chipmunk could be used as a spy for the friendly beast since they are small and quick tree climbers.

Martin the Warrior
January 31st, 2003, 01:18 AM
A couple of years ago, this very question was part of an LP poll and I foolishly allowed write-in votes. While raccoon was the overall winner with twenty-five votes, as I recall there were some very outrageous suggestions. Perhaps I should see if I can find and post the full tally.

LadyBeelze
January 31st, 2003, 03:49 PM
Perhaps I should see if I can find and post the full tally.

Oh Please Do, that would be great!

Three creatures i would like to see in the series are in no paticular order; raccons, wolves, and deer. I'd imagine the deer to walk on all fours contrary to most redwall creatures because i can't imagine them standing on their two hind legs! They might be rare in a appearence in mossflower but told to be very wise and gentle creature (i don't think they'd like to fight...but when they have to they could kill any vermin with a quick stomp from the hoofs). As for the wolves i think they'd be kind of like foxes except a bit bigger in size and more ragid looking fur mostly gray and white, Definate vermin! Their accent would be slowly spoken and sinster :cool: hmmm for the raccoons i'd imagine them to be like what lord servone said; sly and cunning! I can't write much more because my moms hovering over my shoulder trying to get me off the computer hmph.

MoonShadow
January 31st, 2003, 05:33 PM
I agree with Beelze about deer. They're really graceful creatures, and I would really like to see part of the story mentioning how they "gracefully race across the fields" or something. :cornflow: They're obviously (or at least to me) goodbeasts and can act as a messager between Redwall and Salamandastron since they're so fast. Spare the poor, tired, hare runners. ;)

I would also like to see raccoons, or maybe a tanuki (who isn't a native of Britain, but its really cute!). I imagine a raccoon as an in-between sort of creature, who constantly thieves, to the annoyance of both sides.

VanessaNB
January 31st, 2003, 05:46 PM
Outrageous suggestions, Martin? I've heard of people using lemurs and ringtails in REDWALL role plays...
I think there is a very thin line as to how a foreign animal would fit. A coyote might fit, they aren't much larger than a fox (most people think 'yotes are large animals but they are actually fairly small). A mink, or a fisher are both weasel-y types, they might do well. Muskrat, deermouse, chipmunk, groundhog, skunk, flying squirrel, these are all fairly small animals. If you have a ferret in Redwall, you could have a hamster, or maybe a fancy rat, cause these are all strictly domestic animals.
Tigers, lemurs and monkeys are way too far out, see wot I mean?

Treerose
January 31st, 2003, 06:22 PM
Deer would be nice, but I wonder how they could function with their hooves, when all the other animals have paws that let them do anthropomorphic actions... that could be a drawback. ;)

Tree

~~~~

Little factoid: Most of the serious musicians that I know practice at least 4 hours a day, which means we end up spending at least sixty days out of each year behind a music stand, or, over one day a week. ;)

Glenner
January 31st, 2003, 07:55 PM
Raccoons and Wolves!
The raccoons could be neutral, maybe wandering thieves or something.

LadyBeelze
February 1st, 2003, 01:15 PM
Deer would be nice, but I wonder how they could function with their hooves, when all the other animals have paws that let them do anthropomorphic actions... that could be a drawback

yeah that would be a slight drawback but still i can just see a deer in mossflower. :D

Darkhood_343
February 1st, 2003, 01:29 PM
Deer would be kewl. They would probably end up being almost "magical" creatures, so to speak. What I mean is, they would rarely ever be seen, be really powerful, and be really quick. Also, they would probably end up knowing a lot about Mossflower, Redwall etc. Wise creatures.

Slagar the Cruel
February 1st, 2003, 03:43 PM
Hmm... is it just me, or do most people proposing new Redwall creatures seem to want them to be morally "neutral"? :\

Anyways, deer might work - after all, they've had quite a prominent mention in the series through the name of Basil "Stag" Hare. I personally could see them as peaceful, majestic forest-dwellers, detached from the more "civilized" ways of life. (That way there'd be no dealing with that "hoof" business. ;))

Jade the Warrior
February 1st, 2003, 04:23 PM
I agree with everyone saying Wolves, Raccoons, and Coyotes. In fact, when I write my own Redwall Fanfic, I'm going to use animals native to my home and Wolves and Raccoons are included.:p

But another animal I think would be cool...a Woodpecker, or something similar. Imagine what a Woodpecker would do, with it's powerful beak. It could maybe be like the sparrows, a feirce fighter.

~Jade, who also thinks that a Blue Jay or Cardinal would be nifty, too...

MoonShadow
February 1st, 2003, 09:29 PM
Well, birds do appear somewhat frequently in the series, compared to some other rare species. I don't think that they should appear that often, simply because they just don't spend all of their time inside of Redwall, Salamandastron, with a vermin horde, or whatever.

Little factoid: Most of the serious musicians that I know practice at least 4 hours a day, which means we end up spending at least sixty days out of each year behind a music stand, or, over one day a week.Which shows how unserious I am. ;)

Treerose
February 1st, 2003, 11:29 PM
Eh, well, we're pretty much expected to do this much at this point. :) I sure didn't practice that much when I was your age. ;) But it's not that bad, really, although one can rather feel like Sisyphus at times...practicing is such a never-ending task. <g>

Tree

~~~~

"Oh how wonderful, really wonderful opera would be if there were no singers!"

~Rossini~

Hear hear. :p

Wilhemina Germanis
February 4th, 2003, 04:10 PM
About the only species of animal I'd like to see in the Redwall series are raccoons. In my attempted Redwall writings I've portrayed the species as mostly being goodbeasts who are misunderstood because of their thieving tendancies. There are a few rotten apples in the proverbial barrel, though ;)

-Willie

Dakota
February 5th, 2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Treerose
Deer would be nice, but I wonder how they could function with their hooves, when all the other animals have paws that let them do anthropomorphic actions... that could be a drawback. ;)

Have you read Fire Bringer? Lots of deer in that one. I think deer would only work if they were behaving like, well, deer. (as in walking on all fours, etc)

Treerose
February 5th, 2003, 02:13 PM
Hm, no I haven't read that...I've heard about it, though. Maybe deer would just have to function as the cavemen of the Redwall society... the animals that <gasp> still walk on all fours! ;)

Tree

~~~~

"I would be happy if one of his passing thoughts occurred to me as a main idea."

~Brahms, on Dvorak's 8th symphony, a piece absolutely stuffed with melodies, as opposed to other composers' methods of taking one or two themes and beating them to death via harmonic developments and such~

VanessaNB
February 5th, 2003, 05:13 PM
Fire Bringer, verra nice novel. Anything that talks and has horns (er, antlers) is good in my book.
Deer wouldn't really need weapons, they can give a nasty kick with their legs, and then there's the antlers. Yes, antlers would come in handy. Yessss:D

BladeLady Scourge
February 20th, 2003, 11:23 PM
I would love to see a wolf in a redwall book. i think in the bellmaker the wolf urgan was depicted as a villain, but i would prefer them to be neutral leaning towards good. i dont think a badger lord would defeat a wolf easily. he'd get his butt kicked big time, but wouldnt that be an awesome battle?!
it'd be cool if a wolf was summoned to the abbey to help the goodbeasts defeat some almost unstoppable villain. heck, having a wolf as a villain would be cool too!
it be hard to fit a wolf through the redwall abbey door, aye?
i think that the wolf should be midnight black, cloaked and fight with a longsword. the language would be average, but it'd be a quiet, mysterious beast, with legendary powers and visions like the badger lords.:eek:

Slagar the Cruel
February 20th, 2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by BladeLady Scourge
i think in the bellmaker the wolf urgan was depicted as a villain, but i would prefer them to be neutral leaning towards good.Technically, Urgan wasn't "depicted" at all, so there was no real implications of moral leanings. Furthermore, Nagru's account was later revealed as completely fabricated - we're not even sure what it's real name was, assuming it had one - so wolves are still completely open to speculation.

Personally, I don't think wolves belong in Redwall, but I've discussed that elsewhere. :cool:

Matthias of Redwall
February 21st, 2003, 03:11 PM
Well I think they need a spider or other creature with many legs they can be the war machines ;)

www.redwall.org/dave/ sitemap.html

VanessaNB
February 21st, 2003, 05:24 PM
Unless it's a giant, mutated spider, I don't think there are many dangerous spiders in Britain, and it wouldn't make a good war machine as most beasties could goosh it with their thumb;)
I don't like spidies anyway.

Truffen
February 26th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Redwall should have
fishers (American species of Martens)
Skunks
Porcupines
Chipmunks
Wolves(That actually say something)
Bears

This is really old and I got bored so I decided to post in it.

Martthias
February 26th, 2007, 07:42 PM
To those who nay-say deer: Deer have already been mentioned in Redwall. In fact, a major character named himself after one.

A cookie 2 whoever guesses his name.;)

Barkstripe
February 26th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Truff....just 'cause you're bored, doesn't give you the right to break the rules.

chupacabra
February 27th, 2007, 01:41 PM
There should be a mongoose who had a cobra enslaved and is using it to eat redwallers. Yumm

Ember Nickel
February 27th, 2007, 03:48 PM
To those who nay-say deer: Deer have already been mentioned in Redwall. In fact, a major character named himself after one.

A cookie 2 whoever guesses his name.;)Basil Stag Hare.

Truffen
February 27th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Truff....just 'cause you're bored, doesn't give you the right to break the rules.

I don't really see how bringing up old threads are againts the rules.:confused: But anyways Basil mentioned it in Redwall and alot of things thatt never happened again in the series are mentioned in Redwall.

RockJaw_Grang
February 27th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Truffen. It is against the rules to bring up old threads. It think six months is the limit.

Martthias
February 27th, 2007, 07:49 PM
One cookie for Ember Nickel. :D

Truffen
February 27th, 2007, 07:50 PM
OH ok, well too late now.:rolleyes: