PDA

View Full Version : Video/Computer Game

Lord Servone
January 30th, 2003, 09:07 PM
Didn't know which board to talk about this at...

Anyway, didn't BJ say that there were plans for a Redwall Computer game once? But didn't he also say that he detested video games? What's the difference? Or did I dream him saying this in one of the Ask Brian things

Slagar the Cruel
January 30th, 2003, 09:29 PM
Well, I spoke my piece on the matter here... (http://forums.longpatrolclub.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=103) my opinions are basically still the same.

As for your question, it wasn't a computer game, it was a CD-Rom. BJ said that there wouldn't be any "game" aspect to it, but there would be a riddle quest. It sounded fun... too bad it was cancelled.

Treerose
January 30th, 2003, 10:35 PM
One more for the "no" side. ;) Partly because Brian Jacques doesn't want any video games made of his books, which is his right, and partly because any vg, no matter how good, would lower the world of Redwall into the... great unwashed. ;) People would be playing it who have no idea what Redwall really is, who would never read the books, who wouldn't be able to appreciate it as it deserves to be, etc. I don't mean to sound cliquish, but I want people to find Redwall through the books, or even the TV series... Just, not video games, no matter how good the game might be.

Tree

~~~~

"Before Mozart, all ambition turns to despair."

~Charles Gounod~

Shrubium(III)
January 30th, 2003, 10:42 PM
Well, I'll tell you the engine is mostly there for a Redwall text rpg riddle game. But, alas, the lack of interest I managed to muster a year ago when I endevored to make it leaves the plot and core gaming expirience incomplete. I got up to event 4B and then everyone quits and goes out to get a slurpee. Plus, writing descriptions of every room within and without the Abbey prooved to be too taxing on my imagination.
If there is going to be a Redwall game it's certainly not going to be made by one person, or at least I'll never finish it by my self.
http://pikkle.dhs.org/amy/redwall/screenshot.jpg

Martin the Warrior
January 31st, 2003, 12:09 AM
I'll get the question out of the way first: emphatically no.

Instead of outlining reasons why, I'll leave it at that. ;) What I will mention, however, is the CD.

In a certain sense, even the very idea of a Redwall CD-ROM is somewhat dated. Aside from CDs slowly losing ground to DVDs, "CD-ROM" isn't something you see in reference to a product anymore. Its day has come and gone. Even computer games have taken to being referred to as "video games" (previously a term which only applied to console games). I'm not sure the market for such a product even exists anymore.

That said, I still remember quite a bit about the product, so I'll give a brief summary of it for those who came to the ROC three-four years too late.

The Redwall CD-ROM was first announced in 1996, described as being an "interactive tour of Redwall Abbey and its grounds". I always pictured it as something akin to the Hogwarts tour on the Harry Potter DVD, albeit with a less clunky interface and with more interaction between you and the surroundings. It was to include riddles for the user to solve, probably exploration quests such as one mimicking Matthias and Methuselah's quest for the sword of Martin. The CD was originally intended to be released in the fall of '97, if memory serves, but was delayed to tie-in with the Redwall television series and/or the Redwall movie-- no doubt the animated versions of the Abbey and the characters would be used (and from a marketing standpoint, it would be stupid not to capitalize on a series). This sent the project into limbo, however, where it remained for a few years until it was finally confirmed by Redwall.org that the project had been axed altogether. No doubt the window for such a project being a commercial success had passed (like I said, the medium has changed since the early/mid-'90's). And so the project now exists as little more than memory in ancient fans who pass on such tales to newer generations, as I've just done. ;)

I don't think this project would have sent Redwall into "the great unwashed", as Tree put it. ;) A video game, however, most certainly would.

So, once again, no.

LadyBeelze
January 31st, 2003, 02:31 PM
Brian Jacques hates videogames (how is that possible? videogames are like ...the BEST!) so there won't be any redwall videogames unfortunately. I think thats a good thing though, look at harry potter videogames, awful! Yes its best

VanessaNB
January 31st, 2003, 04:36 PM
Eh, I agree on the fact that everyone would be playing the game cause the can, whether they've heard of it or not. Then again, wouldn't it be fun to role-play you're favorite character?
*Is pelted with rotten fruit*
Yeah I guess a game wouldn't be the same...
IF however, they do decide to make a game, it must follow these guidelines:(1)It should be a well-thought RPG or something similar(2)The graphics must be very "realistic". I've nothing against the animation style used for RWTV, but it wouldn't look good on a game(3)There must be thinking involved. There's nothing wrong with shooting stuff, I find it fun, but I like to use my brain once in a while(4)There should be a multi-player free for all thing, if you've played Perfect Dark, you know what I mean (first game I thought of).
And just so you'd know, I doubt any of this will happen.
I have a headache.

MoonShadow
January 31st, 2003, 04:46 PM
Well, BJ hates video games because he has a dislike for technology....

I would like to see a well-done Redwall video game, though there are thousands of ways to mess it up and the book badly.

Lord Servone
January 31st, 2003, 10:01 PM
Just so you know, I don't think there should be a video game...no need for one, imo... it would probably not do the Redwall series justice..
NOW, if BJ wrote the story for the video game and had a lot of say in it and that sort, I would be all for it....but that will never happen.

Darkhood_343
February 1st, 2003, 11:37 AM
My opinion is in the same place Slags' is. RPG... Even tho it'll never happen.

MoonShadow
February 3rd, 2003, 06:50 PM
Or we can just have a collection of Redwall mini-games... with pie-eating contests and such... That'll be fun. ^.^

Slagar the Cruel
February 3rd, 2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Darkhood_343
My opinion is in the same place Slags' is. RPG... Even tho it'll never happen. I don't support the idea of an RPG... my mention of a "Redwall RPG" was only meant to illustrate why it wouldn't work. :eek:

Darkhood_343
February 7th, 2003, 08:58 PM
Oh, ok, me was kind of confuzled about what you meant. Guess I was mistaken...

Matthias of Redwall
February 24th, 2003, 07:05 PM
Well, yes&no. For the yes part I like it because I think it will let people understand more of the danger in the book or the action in graphic rather than in imagination... as for the no part like many others said people will play the vg without understand RW first. ;)

Calantorntain
February 25th, 2003, 04:35 PM
http://starfiresredwall.net/cgi-bin/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=3;t=27;st=0

LadyBeelze
February 25th, 2003, 04:41 PM
thats not going to be an offical game and the qualitie is probably going to be not that great. Plus i don't have a playstation >_>

Darkhood_343
February 26th, 2003, 03:31 PM
You need to get one then. ;) And the game won't be that great because...
It's made by some amature programmers
It's for PS1
And there gonna make you download it

So... I don't see the point.

The Red Badger
March 10th, 2003, 09:56 PM
You know, there was a time when this poll would *never* have leaned the way it currently is.

Darkhood_343
March 14th, 2003, 10:16 PM
Yeah, like when Reds?