PDA

View Full Version : What is it?

Lady Terra
February 1st, 2003, 08:15 AM
What is it you like about the Redwall series so much that makes you want to keep reading it?

Darkhood_343
February 1st, 2003, 12:49 PM
Probably... oh I don't know, it's just a real good series. That's what keeps me reading. And books based on badgers, those are also what keeps me going.

LadyBeelze
February 1st, 2003, 01:10 PM
I can't really put why into words but its mainly the whole world of animals in midevil times that attracts me. Good Vs Evil :cool: Besides i like a lot of the animals in the book like otters, badgers, and foxes. The accents, personalities, everything about the creatures make them seem almost real. ah what the heck, its just a good series

Treerose
February 1st, 2003, 02:19 PM
Short, plain, and simple: it's BJ. :) The concept is wonderful, of course, but another author could have come up with the very same idea, and it could have failed miserably. It's BJ's charm, skill, wit, and imagination that sparkles on every page and makes his tales so real and vibrant.

Tree

~~~~

"My hands, my precious hands."

~Sergei Rachmaninoff, as quoted in The Times; June 26th 1923~

Glenner
February 1st, 2003, 02:43 PM
Its a mixture of what Treerose said, and the fact that I'm a sucker for books about animals, especially talking ones.

MoonShadow
February 1st, 2003, 02:57 PM
Doesn't take much interpreting, and also, the endings don't make me end up hating it and hitting it with a rubber snake. ;) They're just really enjoyable books.

Jade the Warrior
February 1st, 2003, 04:15 PM
Basically, for me it's a mix of All of the Above. I love Animal books, especially when they're personified. Medival times, with the weapons and Abbey just totally suckered me in and BJ is a fantastic author. Plus, I love mice, otters, and ferrets, not to mention the occasional hare...:p

But, I also like the fact that, in almost every situation, the Good Guy is smaller, and usually weaker, than the Bad Guy, immediatelly putting them at a disadvantage. It's fun to see how they win their battles. Plus, I like Martin's role in the whole series. It's really neat, almost like magic, but not quite. Reincarnation has always fascinated me a bit.

~Jade, who has Redwall as #1 on her list...

VanessaNB
February 1st, 2003, 06:55 PM
What's not t'like?
1. It has animals. Good, good.
2. It has rats, bad rats, but rats. Yes, I love 'em.
3. They talk, an' have swords an' adventures, and boats.
4. I thank BJ that they don't sing "sk8r boi".

Redwall is the kinda thing that's a comfort series, you can come home and curl up with your favorite book with a big hairy dog at your side...And that's as "eloquent" as I get, folks. Actually, Buddy is laying right next to me, he's snoring;)

MoonShadow
February 1st, 2003, 09:24 PM
Well, it's not one of those dark and dreary books that fill you with despair. :D I hate how all YA fiction and stuff seem to be all like that.... Long live Redwall!!!

Like what Vanessa said, you can curl up next to your big hairy dog (if you have one) and enjoy it. They're just great [thick] books that you can just sit next to the fireplace and be transported to a medieval world of talking animals. I don't know why, but animals just seem to be better than having humans as characters....

Martin the Warrior
February 1st, 2003, 09:28 PM
I'd have to go with Brian himself, as well. His style of writing, his view of things, his enchanting world... it just makes it worth it.

Lord Servone
February 1st, 2003, 11:10 PM
I always like medievel stories involving animals as characters. Those two factors, added by the fantastic story telling of Brian Jacques, makes for a great series of books.

Songbreeze
February 2nd, 2003, 04:11 AM
Before I started reading Redwall I thought it might just end up being some childrens animal book. But when I read the first few pages I was fascinated with it and couldn't ever put it down.

I'm always interested in Mideival things. The Redwall series is full of adventure, excitement, fun, violence heh heh, sorrow, happiness, good vs. evil, and all that good stuff. Plus the way it is written is enchanting and all the songs and poems are great. To put it bluntly it's just awesome.:D

Airemia
February 2nd, 2003, 01:30 PM
Well, I love the style, and how it's so descriptive. The plots are interesting, the whole concept, and it's cool how they have animals instead of humans. Makes it interesting, there's lots of variety. I'm just always looking forward to the next book, and I never get tired of reading it. :D

Lyrian Aryns
February 3rd, 2003, 06:06 PM
I'd have to say 'all of the above' as well. The idea of animals instead of people just appeals to me... the medievalish setting is appealing to me as well. But I'd have to agree that the biggest reason I like Redwall is 'cause BJ is such a darn good writer. :D

Slagar the Cruel
February 3rd, 2003, 09:35 PM
Like those Apple Jacks kids say, I "just do". :slagar Seriously, though, I agree with Tree and Martin - it's BJ. Sure, the talking animals and the mideval setting are great, but the concept itself isn't why I like Redwall. BJ's writing is fun, witty, and charismatic. And the Somerset accent used by moles... gotta love that. ;)

VanessaNB
February 4th, 2003, 03:19 PM
Yerss, Apple Jacks, tastiest of breakfast cereals.
Brian has such a lovely writing style, and that Redwall isn't really "mature" fits my personality perfectly;)
The hairy dog doesn't come with the book, you'll have to get one yourself. But they're worth the money, very useful reading accsessory:D