PDA

View Full Version : Response to TBT

Ember Nickel
August 22nd, 2005, 09:53 AM
I figured my chances of getting an editorial posted any time, say, before 2006 (especially if I don't want to publicize my e-mail), are such that I'd be better off writing a little piece here. I found Lord Trawnbull Thickstripe's editorial "Online Redwall Clubs are Dead" to be quite thought-provoking.

And to think this was all in the mid-late 1990s.
When I look around the web for Redwall Clubs, I see a sickening trend.Well, I think we've already established that the ROC is, if not dead, not as alive as it has been in other points in time. A lot of things are different now then they were in the mid-late 1990s. If you look at a supermarket tabloid, odds are you will not see O. J. Simpson. You're more likely to be using a DVD then a floppy disk.

It's also interesting to note that more than half of these are Invision forums, a free service. Is there anyone out here-anyone at all-who would prefer to pay money for a service then not? Of course people prefer free services. I prefer free services.

Not only has the actual "club" itself died, but so has the ability to learn how to create your own webpage, learn HTML, and have a unique idea.
<html> Hi my name is Bob and I luv Redwall!!!!!111. I think Muriel is <b>hot!</b></html>

There's more to life then hypertext markup language.

Everybody's so-called "club" is just an online forum. For many of us, that's all the Long Patrol is as well. Consider: when were the forum-goers made aware of the "Nameday" poems?

If anyone wants to make a new club from scratch, more power to them.

LordTBT
August 22nd, 2005, 10:14 AM
Actually The Long Patrol Club is a separate entity then the forums.

A lot of things are different now then they were in the mid-late 1990s. If you look at a supermarket tabloid, odds are you will not see O. J. Simpson. You're more likely to be using a DVD then a floppy disk.

If you mean a DVD as opposed to a video, or a cd-r as opposed to a floppy, using that logic, things get better over time right?

In the ROC, it's been the opposite. A state of decline.

Badrang3
August 22nd, 2005, 02:42 PM
For many of us, that's all the Long Patrol is as well. Consider: when were the forum-goers made aware of the "Nameday" poems?

There was a sticky placed up on the top of the General discussion page announcing it some time in May.

LordTBT
August 22nd, 2005, 03:09 PM
There was a sticky placed up on the top of the General discussion page announcing it some time in May.

Additionally, if the forum-goers chose to actually navigate LPC.com, they'd find them here:

http://www.longpatrolclub.com/features/namedays.html

Martin the Warrior
August 22nd, 2005, 07:22 PM
Well, I think we've already established that the ROC is, if not dead, not as alive as it has been in other points in time.

I don't think that's established at all. People have been declaring the ROC dead for years, if for no other reason than that it's dead to them. I'd say the ROC of today is significantly larger than the ROC of nine years ago.

If you look at a supermarket tabloid, odds are you will not see O. J. Simpson.

Actually, I think I saw him on the cover this afternoon. ;)

Is there anyone out here-anyone at all-who would prefer to pay money for a service then not?

Yes. Me. Which is why you're all using vBulletin rather than Invision or ezBoard or phpBB.

There's more to life then hypertext markup language.

I don't think that was TBT's point at all. Rather, making a forum and only a forum does not constitute a "site". Without an actual site, there's nothing to draw people to the forum in the first place aside from a ton of "Please join" messages posted on other forums.

For many of us, that's all the Long Patrol is as well. Consider: when were the forum-goers made aware of the "Nameday" poems?

As Badrang said, everyone was notified of the Spring Nameday two weeks prior to it being held. Summer Nameday happened too fast to get an announcement up, but everyone has an open invitation to write a song. E-mail it to me whenever you want and it'll be held till the celebration. The Autumn Nameday likely won't happen until October or November.

However, as the Nameday remains largely a club activity, club members are the only ones guaranteed a reminder. That's just the way things are.

Shadow's Forge
August 22nd, 2005, 07:45 PM
In the ROC, it's been the opposite. A state of decline.
Though I am ignorant of the Redwall community in general, I believe this can be attributed to the decline in general interest. During Rewall's time, which I take to be the 1990s, I'm sure they were prevalent. Now, Redwall's being replaced by Harry Potter and Eragon and others. Redwall's had its heyday, though I would like to see an increase in "ROC" quantity and quality.

Yes. Me. Which is why you're all using vBulletin rather than Invision or ezBoard or phpBB.
I think his question was phrased all wrong. Would you prefer your forum to be free or to not be free, all things being equal?

I am aware that free/pay sites are never equal, but this is just a hypothetical question.

Martin the Warrior
August 22nd, 2005, 08:02 PM
Would you prefer your forum to be free or to not be free, all things being equal?

By paying for vBulletin, I've already answered that question. Invision Board is not new-- I could have very easily gone with it instead. I had the choice between free and not-free, and chose not-free. That a lot of people would rather not have to pay for things doesn't invalidate TBT's point.

LordTBT
August 22nd, 2005, 08:31 PM
During Rewall's time, which I take to be the 1990s, I'm sure they were prevalent. Now, Redwall's being replaced by Harry Potter and Eragon and others

I don't think HP has "replaced" Redwall at all. I think JKR got lucky media wise and has just received more press coverage than BJ.

Shadow's Forge
August 22nd, 2005, 09:14 PM
By paying for vBulletin, I've already answered that question. Invision Board is not new-- I could have very easily gone with it instead. I had the choice between free and not-free, and chose not-free. That a lot of people would rather not have to pay for things doesn't invalidate TBT's point.
That brings up an interesting point: Why did you choose non-free?

And, though I think it's a somewhat stupid question, What was TBT's point, exactly? Perhaps I need to read the whole article to get the gist, but I saw no need for that statement.

I don't think HP has "replaced" Redwall at all. I think JKR got lucky media wise and has just received more press coverage than BJ.
I'm a bit dubious of that outlook. In any case, it does show that Harry Potter has received more attention--at least now--then Redwall does.

Ember Nickel
August 23rd, 2005, 09:37 AM
What was TBT's point, exactly?That there so few ROC clubs as opposed to forums, and ain't that a shame?

To me, it ain't.

Welcome to the forum, Shadow's Forge!

Shadow's Forge
August 23rd, 2005, 02:59 PM
That there so few ROC clubs as opposed to forums, and ain't that a shame?

If that was TBT's point, then the original statement was a non sequitur.

Welcome to the forum, Shadow's Forge!
Hello.