PDA

View Full Version : THE ANIMALS DON'T LIVE AS LONG AS PEOPLE, I thought they did

Warbeak
February 2nd, 2003, 06:45 PM
In Taggerung, (I don't have the book with me) I think it says that Deyna is an adult at 9 months of age, but if Deyna lived as long as a person, he wouldn't even be capable of talking yet.

But remember, I didn't read the book for a LONG time...I don't really know if this is true.

LadyBeelze
February 2nd, 2003, 06:52 PM
From what i imagine, the redwall creatures live exactly as long as they would in REAL life. Badgers are said to outlast any by 4 times. Badgers are a bigger animal of course and thus have a bigger lifespan. Though mice, rats, hares, etc do not. I've never read taggerung so i can't exactly help you there..But another thing is mostly they go by seasons instead of years. (Spring, Summer, Fall,Winter)...Just a theory

Edit: a couple spelling errors needing to be fixed o.0

The Red Badger
February 2nd, 2003, 07:31 PM
I don't think it's quite so complex as that, Beelze. An animal's size doesn't affect the length of their life that dramatically. . . Brian just has badgers live longer than everyone else because he wants them to.

I think the gap in Tagg was fifteen seasons, tho, which is turn makes Deyna the equivalent of fifteen years of age. Not that outlandish.

For determining maturity: a season equals a year.

Beyond that, you're just asking for a headache.

Welcome, tho, Warbeak! :redsy

LadyBeelze
February 2nd, 2003, 07:38 PM
well what would you expect to live longer, a mouse or a badger?

The Red Badger
February 2nd, 2003, 07:41 PM
Depends entirely on the circumstances. Elephants are larger than humans. . . do they live longer? All I'm saying. :cool:

MoonShadow
February 3rd, 2003, 07:48 PM
Well, Redwall time is slightly screwed up at certain places. Can't expect BJ to be perfect. ;)

Slagar the Cruel
February 3rd, 2003, 09:24 PM
Actually, real badgers DO live pretty long, at least relatively. 19 years is the highest, as opposed to, what, 2 years for a mouse? Still, I think badgers live a little longer (even relatively) than they should in the books. Older than the trees? :eek:

Matthias of Redwall
February 22nd, 2003, 12:13 PM
Well I think the author had lenghten the seasons as if they are years so if they say 17 season it means 17 years :confused:

Airemia
February 22nd, 2003, 12:48 PM
There's always a lot of speculation about this... Since there are no humans in Redwall, I find it pretty much impossible to try and compare how long the animals live, to how long the average human would live. It would *seem* that a season would equal about a year, for the animals anyway. It's kind of hard to figure out. One season may be short for us, but obviously seem much longer for an animal. And since the Redwall world is completely inhabited by animals... There you go. :p

VanessaNB
February 22nd, 2003, 06:29 PM
Well, a real mouse lives one to two years, that would be four to eight seasons. If you live, say, 17 seasons as Matthias suggests, that's pretty good. Rats and weasel types live about five years, and ferrets can live to be ten, I think.
I say that one year has four seasons (fact of nature), and for the Redwall-ish critters, a season equals a year. In the The Taggerung, it says Deyna/Tagg was fifteen seasons old. Do you think that's 3 and 3/4's years old, or fifteen seasons equals fifteen years?

MoonShadow
February 23rd, 2003, 07:08 PM
Well, you could think of it has seven years equal a "dog year", to better understand the relationship between "season" and "year".

Matthias of Redwall
February 23rd, 2003, 08:25 PM
Warbeak, my Sparra friend how long do you think a Sparra can live?;) ;)

Darkhood_343
February 26th, 2003, 04:39 PM
I don't pay attentionto ages THAT much, just taking a season as a year... so, I really don't care, as long as it's a great book.

LadyBeelze
February 27th, 2003, 09:18 AM
Something that i noticed yesterday in the first martin the warrior episode is that all the animals from mattimeo looked old and it said only 5 seasons have passed since they all have returned. I know this didn't happen in the book but i just see that as something to point to that seasons and stuff are comparable to what moon said about dog years.

VanessaNB
February 27th, 2003, 02:39 PM
It was 7 seasons, and a lot can happen to a person in seven years/seasons/whatever. Do you exactly the same as you did 7 years ago? You get older, your looks change...No reason Matti and the others can't look older, can't stay young forever.

LadyBeelze
February 27th, 2003, 06:52 PM
I know but basil stag hare using a cane in just a little less than two years?

MoonShadow
March 8th, 2003, 12:12 PM
Well, its possible he had some foot injury. ;)

VanessaNB
March 8th, 2003, 07:10 PM
Two years for you, eight seasons for Baz. I know someone who's nearly bald (the students run up and rub his shiny spot) but he's only two or three years older than my mom. Like I said, you can get arthiritus or however ya spell it, even if your perfectly fit, you never know.

Barrag Barr
September 5th, 2004, 05:50 AM
What about sparrows how long do they live?what happened to them anyway,in Mattimeo there was about five left,they never got mentioned again did they :slagar

Akkess of Empyrean
September 5th, 2004, 02:53 PM
I would like to think that the Redwall animals live about the same amount of years as humans, but whatever. Anyway, animals that are bigger do live longer, like elephants,crocodiles,sturgeons, and what not. Did you know a scarlet macaw can live as long as a human? :eek: (Macaws aren't that big, but whatever) I'm guessing the animals in Redwall that are bigger and fiercer live longer because they're harder for other creatures to kill! :lol:
Natural Selection at it's finest!!! :D

Candied Chesnut
September 5th, 2004, 10:51 PM
well, id say that a season in redwall is a year in human. see, deyna was about 16 seasons at the end of the story, and he acted like a 16 year old.

Cheesethief
September 6th, 2004, 03:59 PM
I know but basil stag hare using a cane in just a little less than two years? remember the foot injury he recieved from clunys squad when he rescued the Vole family?

well, id say that a season in redwall is a year in human. see, deyna was about 16 seasons at the end of the story, and he acted like a 16 year old. right. :D