PDA

View Full Version : Choir, anyone?

Nora the Rover
August 29th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Okay, this is pretty lame, but does anyone take choir? What pieces are you singing?
I haven't been in choir for years, but decided to take it up again - being my senior year and all... :rolleyes: Currently, I'm in chamber choir - mostly singing a mix of jazz, Latin chants, madrigals, and possibly a Phantom of the Opera medley, (my choir teacher isn't too keen on it, but that's what you get when a bunch of teenage girls vote on which music to sing...)

Ember Nickel
August 29th, 2005, 04:49 PM
I don't take choir at my school, but I'm in one outside of school. We sing religious stuff.

Chelki Sureshot
August 29th, 2005, 05:16 PM
I love choir! Except that I had to sit by a totally tone-deaf girl for a semester last year, but it will be allright this year. Our teacher is into slow boring songs, like Kyrie Elleison. (sp?) Occaisionally we do a good piece, like the medly from Les Miserables. It was 20 minutes long, but at least it was a change. The dresses we wear are so ugly. They're shiny black, with a low cut front, really tight, so when you breathe in the you look really awful. But I'm always in the second row, so I can deal with it. This year it's just a girl choir :( . THe boys always make things interesting, but not anymore.

Shadow's Forge
August 29th, 2005, 07:47 PM
I'm like one of those Mandrakes from Harry Potter. When I sing, people die.

Lonna Bowstripe
August 29th, 2005, 08:48 PM
Kyrie Elleison.
By whom? :cornflow:

Shadow's Forge
August 29th, 2005, 09:10 PM
That question might be a joke, so forgive me for having my joke-meter set too low.

Kyrie eleison ("Lord have mercy"!) is a Christian hymn. I do not know the original author.

Lonna Bowstripe
August 29th, 2005, 09:35 PM
It's not a joke. There are numerous different settings, so I was wondering which she was referring too. One of the most famous is Beethoven's.

Rillflag27
August 30th, 2005, 11:22 AM
and possibly a Phantom of the Opera medley, (my choir teacher isn't too keen on it, but that's what you get when a bunch of teenage girls vote on which music to sing...)

I wuv Phantom of the Opera. I'm trying to convince my choir teacher to do some songs.

Anyways...I love choir, and I love singing. I was in the tucson boys chorus for 5 years and now I'm in my Highschool choir. We're singing "Your song" by Elton John, "Bridge over troubled water" don't know the author, and "Joyfully sing with pleasure" or something. I've already got a solo in Bridge, so I'm excited about that.

Treerose
August 30th, 2005, 01:32 PM
I did sing in a choir once, but most of my singing experience has been in solfege classes. Which isn't as fun, as one only sings do, re, mi, etc., not words, and much of the music is written to be challenging (huge interval skips, changing clefs, etc.), not beautiful.

Do the choir people here have to sing in alto or tenor clef? If so, was that an adjustment to learn, if you already knew treble and/or bass clefs?

I never learned to read those "properly" in solfege class. I always have to mentally transpose everything up or down into the "normal" treble clef as I read it... I'm pretty quick at doing that, though, so it's not a hindrance in sightsinging, and it's good practice for transposing, but it's not supposed to be how it's done. But what Madame (as we had to call our very French solfege teacher) didn't know never hurt her. ;)

Another question for the singers here... do any of you have vibrato? If so, were you taught it or have you always naturally had it?

I heard that vibrato is something that comes naturally to singers after they've been singing for awhile, but I sang for an average of an hour every weekday for two years, and I never got it, so I think I must have heard wrong. ;) Speaking as a wind player, I would think that vibrato would have to be taught... wind players are taught vibrato, too, and the technique has to be carefully refined. But then again, I don't know anything about singing techniques, so it could be very different for you guys. ;)

Tree

~~~~~

"In opera, there is too much singing."

~Claude Debussy~

Josiah the Warrior
August 30th, 2005, 01:34 PM
"Bridge over troubled water" don't know the author
A beautiful song by Simon and Garfunkel.

I'm in my high school chorus....yeah....the teacher is really cool and that's pretty much the only reason I take it, that and we get to go to a cool city every year to compete for trophies and stuff with other groups from around the country.

Furrtil
August 30th, 2005, 04:03 PM
I know someone who sings the Phantom of the Opera with the most amazing voice ever - it sends chills up your spine and makes you want to cry. We were at a summer program and staying at a dorm, and so we would all cram into her dorm outside the bathroom and listen to her in the shower. It was amazing. And she would give us non-shower performances, because she was not shy at all, but she was so modest. She could do that vibrato thing, too... She sang Enya and Lord of the Rings and Phantom of the Opera and Les Miserables. *happy sigh*

I was in chorus in 6th-8th grade. I was not a very good singer, or listener. I once had a music test. We had to identify different combinations of do, re, and mi that were played on the piano. I got a score of 1 out of 6. :rolleyes:

Nora the Rover
August 30th, 2005, 05:02 PM
My chamber choir is rather small - we only have about eleven people, so we keep things fairly simple. My choir teacher has been considering combining with the acappella choir for concerts - (which only consists of about seven people...) I can sing at pretty much any tone, luckily, so I was put at second soprano. I don't sing with vibrato, and I try not to, actually. I have a rather tone-deaf friend, (who thinks she's a spectacular singer, and I don't have the heart to tell her the truth...) who sings with an awful false vibrato. My mom's the same. Singing with a vibrato sort of scares me, now, and I'm afraid of sounding terrible...
Our choir uniforms are pretty nice - the girls wear simple black dresses with a divide down the front, showing the white underneath. I feel a little sorry for the guys, though; they all have to wear vests and bow ties. :p

Chelki Sureshot
August 30th, 2005, 06:05 PM
One of the most famous is Beethoven's.Yeah, I think that's the one we did.
She sang Enya Wow, wouldn't that be hard on some of the songs? Most sound like they have lots of other people singing along with Enya.

Furrtil
August 30th, 2005, 07:55 PM
Yes, I think Enya takes recordings of herself singing all the parts and they get played at the same time. I'm pretty sure it's all her. And the girl sang Orinoco Flow, and it sounded beautiful. :)

Iyla
August 30th, 2005, 08:07 PM
I sang in a choir at school for several years, and we even did little dances to the music. It got me suprisingly in shape for cross country and track, the whole singing Grease and jumping around thing. I haven't done that for a while. Also, my older sister and I play guitar for vesper services, and we sing harmony for that, which we mainly learned in choir.

Russus Robur
September 1st, 2005, 07:21 PM
I love to sing, but after graduating from high school my studies and work leave me little time. :( In school I was to small for most sports so I signed up for jr. high choir then when I got to high school I sign up for mix choir, chamber choir, men barber shop, varsity choir (had to try out to get in) and 1 year of sing and swing choir. My voice range was very unusual, I could sing and still can sing 1st and 2nd Tenor and 1st and 2nd Bass When we did Handel “Hallelujah Chorus” I to had learn all 4 men parts. So when we performed and we had a member missing in the men section or there was a part that the 1 bass was weak in I would fill in or jump to that part during performance. The swing and sing choir that I join was the put together in my senior year in high school. We did old melodies along with dance steps that were popular during the time that the piece came out. What was so neat was that we made it to state competition and won beating out other schools 4 times bigger than our school and the trophy was the largest ever won by our school even the ones that the sports department had. :D My favorite group was the chamber choir, there were only 8 members and we sung nothing but musical pieces from 13th - 18th century, nothing modern and all acappella. As for having a vibrato, when I first started out no, but by training and practice I had a one by the end of my freshmen year. I whish I had time to get back into a choir of some kind. The only sing I do now take place during Sunday morning church services, driving to and from town or in the shower.