PDA

View Full Version : Muzak

Badrang3
October 2nd, 2005, 06:16 PM
The critters like to sing, that much we know. But can they play?

That was my over dramatic opening line. Now then, since Brian gives us a good couple of songs every book, I thought to myself: have these guys ever heard of an acoustic guitar? An harmonica? We know they have an abundance of flutes and other such music makers. But what other musical devices should they have? Or, just so that people don't start listing random things off, could they have? Like are they physically capable of having a pipe organ and the such?

Lonna Bowstripe
October 2nd, 2005, 07:26 PM
It's midevil times, remember? So they can only have stuff like the lute, flute, and (toot, no) drums.

Josiah the Warrior
October 2nd, 2005, 10:20 PM
Harp. *msg 2 shrt*

Cheesethief
October 3rd, 2005, 03:57 PM
They'd have fairly rudimentary string and wind instruments, as well as basic percussion. Things like the harolina, for example, are feasible, whereas the one man band instrument (I really need a re-read) is less so.

Rolinko
October 8th, 2005, 03:10 PM
It seems that for some reason Jacques is averted from using many if any real life instrument names, when you try to think of why he invents instruments like the harolina and the ottercordion.

Iyla
October 11th, 2005, 08:49 PM
And there was a weird one like a humdringer or something that the hedgehogs played on their spikes. I think that there should be some more percussion in Redwall. Like the Tree Climbers Drum Line or something.

Swordmaster
October 27th, 2005, 12:10 PM
It was called the hogtwanger, you dolt.

RockJaw_Grang
October 27th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Yes it is A hogtwanger but no need to get rude.

Iyla
October 30th, 2005, 05:00 PM
I believe that it was a gentle jest relying heavily on sarcasam.

Swordmaster
November 2nd, 2005, 11:15 AM
Yes, 'twas. I thought that an insult would liven things up. No hard feelings, right?

Iyla
November 2nd, 2005, 08:19 PM
Of course not, dear fellow. I'm not sure where Rockjaw was coming from, but hey, I didn't think it was in spite. Whatever. Back to the topic.

Why isn't there a steady evolution of musical instraments in the Redwall books? There is enough time; that isn't the problem. For some reason, the instraments in Lord Brocktree are the same as the ones in Rakkety Tam. I mean, by this time, couldn't they have invented a harpsicord or something?