PDA

View Full Version : Toonami Changes Coming Down the Pike...

Martin the Warrior
February 8th, 2003, 11:34 PM
The next few weeks of Toonami will be busy ones, with four new series, one jumped-ship series, and several new episodes. We'll give the Inuyasha thread a break by centering discussion of those shows here. ;)

First, for those who didn't know, the last week of February is Giant Robo Week. GRW is a one-time deal where sample episodes of ADV anime series will be aired-- appetite whetters-- and then disappear. The thought process is, no doubt, to convince you to ask your cable provider to subscribe to ADV's all-anime channel. Neon Genesis Evangelion will be airing on the 24th and 25th, episodes #1 & #2 respectively. Martian Successor Nadesico will be airing on the 24th, 25th, and 26th, episodes #1, #6, & #25. Robotech will be airing on the 26th, 27th, and 28th, with scattered episodes from throughout the series, including from the "New Generation" arc never-before-aired on Toonami. Rounding out the new series is Dai-Guard, which will air on the 27th and the 28th, episode #1 & #2. After this week, these shows won't appear on Toonami again.

Second, in March Toonami will be losing its third hour once again. Transformers: Armada and G Gundam will comprise the first hour. The second hour will be Yu Yu Hakusho and Dragon Ball Z. In case you did a double take, yes, Yu Yu Hakusho is jumping the Adult Swim ship for Toonami. The episodes are likely edited down from their AS levels, but this increases the likelihood of new episodes.

Furthermore, on March 1st they'll be repeating the first episode of .hack//SIGN for those who missed it. The regular .hack schedule will resume on March 8th with episode #5: Encounter.

Also on March 1st will be the return of new, first run He-Man episodes, with episodes #17-#23 confirmed, essentially leaving only the season finale to air.

Last, but not least, the final fifteen episodes of Dragon Ball Z begin airing on March 17th. The last episode of this long-running Toonami staple will air on April 7th, with an episode entitled "Goku's Next Journey". It's been a long road for DBZ fans and it's a little sad to see the end here, but that's the way things are.

Well, that's how things stand for Toonami in the coming weeks. I may actually give Yu Yu Hakusho another chance now that it's on at a decent hour... no promises. ;) Feel free to discuss.

Darkhood_343
February 9th, 2003, 01:41 AM
Wow, there showing Evangilion on Toonami? Kewl. And horray! DBZ's gonna end! I've been waiting forever.

LadyBeelze
February 9th, 2003, 09:43 AM
yayz i might actually start watching toonami again! new shows and the rest of dbz ^^ But they're putting yu yu hakusho on toonami???! they'll ruin it with all the edits and stuff *sniff sniff* well at least i don't have to wake up early anymore to watch it.

Martin the Warrior
February 10th, 2003, 06:45 PM
Darkhood
Wow, there showing Evangilion on Toonami?

Only the first two episodes.

And horray! DBZ's gonna end! I've been waiting forever.

Keep in mind that just because there won't be any new episodes on the way doesn't mean the show will leave Toonami. Even DBZ repeats draw in big ratings for the network, so I'd say we're a few years away from it vanishing. In fact, it would take over a year to show all 276 DBZ episodes five-days-a-week. I have no doubt they'd promote a "full run". Then there are the "lost episodes" for when FUNi redubs the first two seasons to bring the episode count up to 290, only one less than the Japanese count (one episode, "Gohan Attacks", will never air, so getting the full 291 broadcast is unlikely).

Beelze
But they're putting yu yu hakusho on toonami???! they'll ruin it with all the edits and stuff

I wouldn't judge it before it airs. Toonami hasn't been strict with edits for a while now.

MoonShadow
February 10th, 2003, 06:57 PM
I wouldn't judge it before it airs. Toonami hasn't been strict with edits for a while now.Well, I was afraid that all of these things would be edited out, but I have to admit, I like the violence (-.-) as long as it doesn't cross the line (ex: Kuwabara's arm getting pulled off). I'm glad its airing on Toonami though, since there's a slight programming conflict between my dad and I.... And I'm VERY glad that it increases the chances of new episodes. I spent the last few days going online doing nothing but reading about YYH.

Even DBZ repeats draw in big ratings for the network, so I'd say we're a few years away from it vanishing. Vanishing... just like Sailor Moon.... I made up a Sailor name for myself when I was small, but I forgot what it was. ;b

First, for those who didn't know, the last week of February is Giant Robo Week. GRW is a one-time deal where sample episodes of ADV anime series will be aired-- appetite whetters-- and then disappear. ... Evil! ;) Well, there's always getting the DVDs.... ;)

Red Draco
February 11th, 2003, 01:07 AM
The end of DBZ in March? That's good. I heard we were going to have to wait until fall. @_@ It's sad to see it end, but I don't want it to strech out THAT much ...

(of course, I'm assuming that YTV is going to follow CN's footsteps ... )

LadyBeelze
February 11th, 2003, 07:56 PM
heh i finnally am back on the computer after two days V_V The computer crashed and my parents blamed me (i didn't do anything :eek: :confused: :eek: ) so i was grounded half of sunday, monday, and half of today and i've now been able to get back on after i swore iwill stop downloading anime episodes (...)

I got a question, how do you program a vcr to record something when you're not there? I got a speech meet on saturday in a town a hour away from here so i'm afraid i won't be able to tape yu-gi-oh or .hack//sign because my mom and dad and sisters are going to idaho to visit a relative. please i need help here V_V

Darkhood_343
February 12th, 2003, 07:06 AM
Martin
Keep in mind that just because there won't be any new episodes on the way doesn't mean the show will leave Toonami.
I know that, what I meant was, that I'm glad there showing the final episodes, cause I've been waiting a while to see them.

Beezl
I got a question, how do you program a vcr to record something when you're not there? I got a speech meet on saturday in a town a hour away from here so i'm afraid i won't be able to tape yu-gi-oh or .hack//sign because my mom and dad and sisters are going to idaho to visit a relative. please i need help here V_V
Well, for my VCR, when you want to spend a certain time recording, (but aren't worried about cacthing commercials and stuff) you press record, then press it again so it says "OTR 30 minutes". If I press it again, it says "OTR 60 minutes". Basically, just press the record button again to set the OTR, which is a time that sets in the VCR to how long it should record.

LadyBeelze
February 14th, 2003, 09:01 AM
hmmmmmmm *starts tinkering with vcr* i have a feeling i won't be able to program my vcr no matter what i do. oh well

Martin the Warrior
February 15th, 2003, 09:47 PM
...this just keeps getting better and better. Cartoon Network is really pulling out all the stops for Toonami this year. As if Dai Guard, Robotech, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Martian Successor Nadesico, .hack//SIGN, Yu Yu Hakusho and the final episodes of Dragon Ball Z weren't enough... on March 17th, we get another new series.

None other than Rurouni Kenshin.

Starting March 17th, it'll slide into the 6:30 PM EST timeslot.

For those who know nothing of the series, it's set ten years after the start of the Meiji Era in Japan. During the revolution that brought that Era about there was an infamous swordsman known as Battousai the Manslayer-- a deadly and feared killer. Battousai was instrumental in bringing about the Meiji Restoration. Now, ten years later, we find that Battousai the Manslayer has forsaken that name, having vowed never to kill again in atonement for the countless people he's slain. His sword is now a reverse blade, incapable of killing anyone, and he's a simple rurouni (a wanderer). The series follows him-- Himura Kenshin-- as he tries to get by in an age where swordsmen aren't needed. The name Battousai haunts him, though, and he and those he loves often find themselves the target of fighters who wish to prove their mettle by being the one to defeat the legendary Hitokiri Battousai.

Rurouni Kenshin is 94 episodes, all told, all of which have been dubbed. Of those, I've seen the first 35 and I can attest that it's an excellent series and will have many fans once it premieres (sadly). As with Trigun, you guys are in for a treat.

LadyBeelze
February 15th, 2003, 10:14 PM
really, Rurouni Kenshin? i've heard a lot of stuff about the series, i can't wait! Toonami is finnally getting better ^^ Aww, this just made my horrible day a whole lot better.

Btw what happened on the third hack episode? I didn't get home till 8 pm.

Martin the Warrior
February 16th, 2003, 12:51 PM
I shudder at the future onslaught of Rurouni Kenshin avatars and sigs.

Beelze
Btw what happened on the third hack episode?

In short: Tsukasa learned how to control his guardian and alliances were made.

A little more in-depth--

Ginkan (the Silver Knight) finally returned, recovered from his encounter with Tsukasa in episode one. He conferred with Subaru, who reminded him that the Crimson Knights are still just players like everyone else. Crim was also mentioned as having a conflicting philosophy from that of Subaru. Subaru then left to meet with Sora, who inquired about "the Key of the Twilight", a hidden item treated as a myth among player, something of a Holy Grail type of object that would give the player a certain amount of control over the game. Subaru doesn't believe in the Key, but when Sora suggests that Tsukasa might be at the center of the storm, she agrees to ally herself with him, much to Ginkan's dismay. Elsewhere, Mimiru comments to Bear that she tried mailing Tsukasa but got no reply. She goes on to say that she's done with him, she doesn't care anymore. Tsukasa, meanwhile, is on a field running around with his guardian, issuing commands. We get a short flashback when he's in the room with Aura (the floating girl) of him in the real world nursing a young kitten, but a man, presumably his father, comes, takes the kitten by the scruff of the neck, and walks off, leaving Tsukasa crying next to the cardboard box the kitten was in. Back in The World, Bear and Mimiru meet again-- she tells him that she got an e-mail from Tsukasa asking her to meet him somewhere. She doesn't want to go and asks him to go in her stead. He agrees and teleports to the location, a giant cathedral (apparently the same one where Kite gains the ability to Data Drain and meets Balmung in the .hack game). Tsukasa is disappointed to see Bear instead of Mimiru, but offers to show him what he wanted to show her. He summons the guardian and shows the he can control it now and that what happened before won't happen again. Bear asks him a challenging question and Tsukasa leaves without responding. Mimiru arrives then, explaining that she couldn't wait any longer. Bear says he failed and he has to go to the Crimson Knights. They summon Subaru, Ginkan, Sora, and B.T. and explain things, asking if the Crimson Knights could access Tsukasa's user information so they could find out what's wrong and why he can't log-out. Conversation drifts to the Key of the Twilight and finally Bear and Mimiru recount what happened during their confrontation with the guardian (the end of last week). As Bear charged at it, he was flung back and the guardian's tendril halted suddenly as a hand got in its path-- the hand of Maha, the cat player. Maha smiles, then vanishes with the guardian. Everyone assembled agrees something must be done and a tenuous alliance is formed. The episode ends with Tsukasa standing on a hill, watching the sun set with his guardian.

The Red Badger
February 16th, 2003, 02:02 PM
Cartoon Network is systematically taking any cool show they can get their hands on, exposing it to the masses, and condemning us to droves of fanboys and fangirls in the process. First Cowboy Bebop, then they grab Trigun, then they get .hack//SIGN before it's released on DVD, now they take Rurouni Kenshin, too. Not only that, Evangelion gets more exposure (overhyped as it already is). IS THERE NOTHING LEFT FOR US?????

I'm more worried about Trigun premiering, actually. :p

With any luck, these series will blow over. Kind of like Tenchi did. Tenchi did well in its day, but nowadays nobody talks about it, the masses don't remember seeing it, leaving it still rather niche. Just like I like it.

Slagar the Cruel
February 16th, 2003, 02:18 PM
Ah, you two (Martin & reds) and your fanbase worries... you don't see me worrying about the new TMNT series bringing too many new turtle fans into the picture, do you?

Hold on... that might actually be true... soon kids who can't remember the late 80's/early 90's will be flooding the boards with turtle avatars... AGH! Fox has tainted the fanbase! :eek:

;) x 2,000

BTW, nice new avatar, reds. That guy's from .hack, isn't he? I'm not sure, as I only saw the second half of an episode...

The Red Badger
February 16th, 2003, 02:31 PM
. . .what are you implying? :eek:

It's a different standard for anime. Look at the Inuyasha thread and tell me that doesn't scare you. Would you want MSG to be treated that way? :p

And, yeah, he is. Ginkan, captain of the Crimson Knights (or Scarlet Knights by subbie definition). Far too appropriate for me. Couldn't resist.

Slagar the Cruel
February 16th, 2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by The Red Badger
[B]. . .what are you implying? :eek:

It's a different standard for anime. Look at the Inuyasha thread and tell me that doesn't scare you. Would you want MSG to be treated that way? :p
I was just kidding (here I thought the 2,000 winks would cover the whole post! ;))... I understand what you mean.

MoonShadow
February 17th, 2003, 11:01 AM
...this just keeps getting better and better. Cartoon Network is really pulling out all the stops for Toonami this year. As if Dai Guard, Robotech, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Martian Successor Nadesico, .hack//SIGN, Yu Yu Hakusho and the final episodes of Dragon Ball Z weren't enough... on March 17th, we get another new series.

None other than Rurouni Kenshin.

Starting March 17th, it'll slide into the 6:30 PM EST timeslot. Woah... That's great! I've heard quite a lot about it too (including on the second issue of Shonen Jump), and I can't wait to see it. Problem is that it's at 6:30.... Ugh! I'm going to see if my parents can hook up the other VCR to the TV.

Martin the Warrior
February 18th, 2003, 07:54 PM
Slagar
Ah, you two (Martin & reds) and your fanbase worries... you don't see me worrying about the new TMNT series bringing too many new turtle fans into the picture, do you?

TMNT was never niche, though. It was its generation's Pokémon, so mass-popularity wouldn't be anything new. It'd be like someone complaining if Power Rangers "become popular" after a revival. ;)

With Trigun and Rurouni Kenshin-- it's been previously enjoyed only by those who could shell out $30 per DVD (eight for Trigun, twenty-five for Rurouni Kenshin). That keeps a considerable amount of, shall we say, "riff raff" out of the fan community. ;) Or at least keeps it from being over-exposed.

I obviously want as many people as possible to enjoy the series. I just don't want, say, another LOTR-type instance where everything is boiled down to who's hot and who's not. ;)

MoonShadow
I've heard quite a lot about it too (including on the second issue of Shonen Jump), and I can't wait to see it.

The summary in SJ barely covers the first episode, so you'll have a lot to look forward to and plenty of surprises. The Kyoto arc (which I'm currently in the middle of) has been incredible with some outstanding scenes. It'll be interesting to see how CN handles it.

Darkhood_343
February 19th, 2003, 04:07 PM
Ya know what one thing ticks me off? That ONE THING? It's that there brining all these awesome series to Toonami, and I'm gonna hear little kids talking about Evangilion. Evangiloin for crying out loud! They shouldn't know what it is until ther older. And not that theres just young kids, it's that ALL PEOPLE will be able to wacth these series and it's just really annoying! Go buy DVD's people! Geez! Your showing things that are to awesome for common people! Stop it Toonami! AHHHH!!!

The Red Badger
February 19th, 2003, 07:08 PM
and I'm gonna hear little kids talking about Evangilion. Evangiloin for crying out loud! They shouldn't know what it is until ther older.

Mr. Pot, meet Mr. Kettle. :rolleyes:

Martin the Warrior
February 20th, 2003, 10:49 PM
A new press release from Cartoon Network confirmed that all of the following will be added to their schedule at some point in 2003. Note that not all of these are exclusively on Toonami.

New Series
Duck Dodgers (July)
Teen Titans (August)
Low Brow (December)

Renewed Original Series
Samurai Jack (20 episodes) (May)
Justice League (26 episodes) (October)
Codename: Kids Next Door (19 episodes)
Powerpuff Girls (4 episodes) (September)
Ed, Edd n Eddy (5 episodes) (November)
Dexter's Laboratory (11 episodes) (April)
Time Squad (5 episodes) (March)
Grim & Evil (10 episodes) (June)
Whatever Happened to Robot Jones? (11 episodes) (September)

New Acquisitions (Anime & Otherwise)
What's New Scooby Doo? (March 28th)
Dragon Ball Z (15 episodes) (March 17th)
Rurouni Kenshin (95 episodes) (March)
Dragon Ball (52 episodes)
SD Gundam (26 episodes)
He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (13 episodes)
Transformers: Armada (26 episodes)
.hack//SIGN (26 episodes)
Kikaider (12 episodes)
Blue Gender (26 episodes)
Hamtaro (52 episodes)
Big O (13 episodes)
X-Men: Evolution (43 episodes)
Yu-Gi-Oh! (50 episodes)
Jackie Chan Adventures (52 episodes)
Pokemon (100 episodes)

Adult Swim:
Aqua Teen Hunger Force (26 episodes)
The Brak Show (13 episodes)
Sealab 2021 (13 episodes)
Trigun (26 episodes) (March)
Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law (?? episodes)
Home Movies (13 episodes) (Fall)

That's it, in a nutshell. The only real surprises I took from this were the acquisitions of Blue Gender, Kikaider, SD Gundam and the confirmation that we'll get all 95 episodes of Rurouni Kenshin.

Oh, and MoonShadow, it looks like Gundam Wing will be returning to CN as part of the new Saturday night block in March. I'm not sure if it'll be there at launch or sometime during the summer, but it's coming back.

LadyBeelze
February 21st, 2003, 04:33 PM
I don't think i'll be able to watch any of the giant robot week because when i looked up the listings they're showing it 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm. And i usually don't get home from school till 3:30 pm except on fridays like today where i get out 1:30 pm. Maybe if i bribe on my mom into sliding a tape to record i can watch it

LadyBeelze
February 22nd, 2003, 04:06 PM
can anyone tell me which shows on giant robot week that are worth taping or whats not? thanx

i liked the .hack//sign episode today, it was pretty good

Red Draco
February 22nd, 2003, 10:18 PM
I find that I'm quite fond of Samurai Jack. I wish I could watch it more, but it's on at a strange time and I work strange hours. But I definately like the idea of a quiet hero.

And it was an inspiration for "Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker," or at least it definately looks that way. ;)

Darkhood_343
February 22nd, 2003, 11:53 PM
Beezl
can anyone tell me which shows on giant robot week that are worth taping or whats not?
One Word: EVANGILION!!! 'K?

Martin the Warrior
February 23rd, 2003, 12:07 AM
Beelze
can anyone tell me which shows on giant robot week that are worth taping or whats not? thanx

Both Evangelion and Robotech are great series. I personally like Robotech better, but it's a very old series and might not be suited to your tastes. I haven't seen Nadesico yet, but I've heard it's a good series. And I have absolutely no idea regarding Dai Guard.

Draco
I find that I'm quite fond of Samurai Jack. I wish I could watch it more, but it's on at a strange time and I work strange hours. But I definately like the idea of a quiet hero.

I really liked SJ when it premiered. Once it hit the first set of repeats, though, and its schedule began to diverge from that of Justice League's, I found it harder to catch the newer episodes. It did have some terrific storytelling moments and animation, though. Some of the fights dragged (such as the insect one from the premiere), but other encounters (such as the blind archers) were really enjoyable.

Darkhood
One Word: EVANGILION!!!

In the interest of accuracy, it's spelled "Evangelion". ;)

MoonShadow
February 23rd, 2003, 07:29 PM
Yay, more little dudes coming to Cartoon Network! (My friends and I refer to little dudes as manga, but I guess it could be stretched into a lot of different meanings, like characters in manga, and anime. :\)

I won't be watching Giant Robot Week, since I'll be practically striving to keep alive that week from play rehearsals. ;) And... I like to eat paint?

LadyBeelze
February 24th, 2003, 05:45 PM
even though my mom forgot to put in the tape till 2:45, in the middle of Evangelion i liked that show immensly. Whats that boy with brown hair's name? hmmm *going to like giant robot week immensly* Also i seen that yuyu hakusho commercial reminding me its going to be on toonami, yay....no more having to stay up late to watch it ^^

Martin the Warrior
February 24th, 2003, 08:39 PM
His name is Shinji Ikari.

LadyBeelze
February 24th, 2003, 08:52 PM
Martin
His name is Shinji Ikari

oh okay, thanx

LadyBeelze
March 1st, 2003, 07:37 PM
today i turn to cartoon network at 1:00 p.m. and .hack//sign wasn't on!? So i looked at the program guide and it said that it doesn't come on till 10:00 p.m. WHATS UP WITH THAT GURRRRRRR i don't want ot explain to my mom that i got to wake up that late to put in a blank tape

Lyrian Aryns
March 1st, 2003, 08:32 PM
I was most annoyed about that, myself... the only reason I got into .hack in the first place was because it was on once a week, at a decent time of day. Typical... they get me hooked, and then they go and move it to midnight. Hmph. Of course, I'm generally up past midnight on Saturdays, anyway, but that's beside the point! ;)

And, against my will and better judgement, my interest has been piqued with Rurouni Kenshin, as well... so I guess I'll be there when that one starts up too. *sigh* I think I'm beginning to watch far too much TV...

Martin the Warrior
March 1st, 2003, 10:37 PM
Beelze
today i turn to cartoon network at 1:00 p.m. and .hack//sign wasn't on!? So i looked at the program guide and it said that it doesn't come on till 10:00 p.m. WHATS UP WITH THAT GURRRRRRR i don't want ot explain to my mom that i got to wake up that late to put in a blank tape

I'd actually meant to get a reminder about that up earlier today.

In a nutshell, March is a time of change. Toonami loses its third hour, gains two new shows, and Cartoon Network creates a new block of shows for Saturday-- SVES. Or, more properly, "Saturday Video Entertainment System" (hence the Atari/NES motif). .hack//SIGN gets shuffled to the SVES block at the new weekly time of 12 midnight EST. Furthermore, it restarts completely. Tonight will be episode #1-- next week is episode #2, and so forth. That means the next new episode for those who have been watching won't be until the 29th. Or, if you're like me, later this week when the DVD (first five episodes) gets released. ;) This is the perfect time for those who missed the series to jump on. The first episode remains my favorite, although I'll admit the Aura sequence in #4 was pretty nice.

It's also worth noting that tonight on SVES is when the new episodes of He-Man start airing-- 8PM EST.

Lyrian
Typical... they get me hooked, and then they go and move it to midnight. Hmph. Of course, I'm generally up past midnight on Saturdays, anyway, but that's beside the point!

I had no idea you'd started watching .hack//SIGN. Did you catch it from the get-go or just after people started talking about it here?

And, against my will and better judgement, my interest has been piqued with Rurouni Kenshin, as well... so I guess I'll be there when that one starts up too.

The first few episodes are really great tone-setters. #3 in particular is one of my favorites. That said, it takes a very self-contained, episodic approach for the first thirty episodes (roughly). Don't let it turn you away from the series, though. It won't be readily evident what it is they're doing at the time, but trust me when I say it all has a point. It's all building to the Kyoto arc-- where Kenshin is forced to choose between his duty as a swordsman and the happy life you'd just watched him build. Without these episodes, his turmoil isn't as profound.

As I said, I'm sure Kenshin will be enjoyed by many.

Lyrian Aryns
March 2nd, 2003, 01:13 AM
Well, to be honest, the only reason I bothered to find out when .hack was on was because you said it was something more eloquently to the effect of 'very intriguing'... And I happened to have tvguide.com open in another window as I read that. So I've caught it from the second episode on. I woulda mentioned it, but I was too... I don't even see the need to finish that sentence. ;)

I actually kinda like self-contained and episodic... I can miss an episode or two, and I'm not completely lost. The 'against my better judgement' remark was meant more toward the fact that this is the time of year when my bad procrastinatory habits come to a head, and the last thing I need is another show to risk Lyrianesque Obsessive Behavior over... but Lyrian realizes that that is a topic entirely different from the one at hand, and so she will cease rambling in this most characteristic fashion.

MoonShadow
March 2nd, 2003, 11:03 AM
*whistles and pretends to not know anything*

What I like about SVES is that we actually get to see the actual opening themes for the shows. I didn't catch .hack//SIGN since I programmed it wrong on the VCR. I'm already starting to suffocate, and Shonen Jump arriving "late" is making it even worse. *struggles to breath*

Darkhood_343
March 2nd, 2003, 03:12 PM
Martin
Or, if you're like me, later this week when the DVD (first five episodes) gets released.
YAY! I can catch 'em now. I'm *really* happy, cause I only saw the first eppy last night and I can have the DVD! *celebrates* How many eppys have they shown so far?

LadyBeelze
March 2nd, 2003, 03:41 PM
they've only shown 4 episodes so far on cartoon network, theres 26 total i think.

Amazingly i got the 1st episode taped last night and delighted to see the opening theme song on now. I might tape episode 3 since i missed that but i don't think i'll be grabbing the dvd for a bit. I'm still 6 dollars in debt to my parents, geish so many stuff is being released in march that its making me confused on what to buy first ...

Somehow watching the first .hack episode made me even more confused then before heh heh

I still think tsukasa is a girl even though he said no to mimir when she asked and i think his guardian is really scawy

LadyBeelze
March 3rd, 2003, 06:12 PM
yu yu hakusho finnally premired on toonami today, and from what i seen they haven't ruined it (yet). It would of been better if they brought back the opening theme song though, i kinda liked it -_-

MoonShadow
March 3rd, 2003, 06:23 PM
Hm... I thought DBZ would be airing 6:30, so I missed it, but oh well. There were VCR problems, so I wasn't able to watch the first half of YuYu Hakusho, but I was able to catch the second half. Yeah... they probably won't be putting back the opening theme song.... They never have those on Toonami, which is very annoying....

Martin the Warrior
March 4th, 2003, 12:04 AM
Lyrian
I actually kinda like self-contained and episodic... I can miss an episode or two, and I'm not completely lost.

In that case, Kenshin should give you no problems. ;) There are a few scattered two- or three-parters in that first batch, though. Even a four-parter (although only one, if memory serves).

Darkhood
YAY! I can catch 'em now. I'm *really* happy, cause I only saw the first eppy last night and I can have the DVD!

Only if you're prepared to pay $50-$60. The regular edition of the DVD doesn't get released for a few more weeks. This week is the special edition, which includes the first OST, PS2 demo, postcards, stickers, t-shirt, and a Grunty plushie. Limited to 15,000 copies.

Beelze
Amazingly i got the 1st episode taped last night and delighted to see the opening theme song on now.

Hats off to SVES for airing the openings-- it was a treat to see DB's air. I didn't bother staying up for .hack//SIGN, however, since I've got that episode on tape. The opening was included on the .hack//Liminality DVD that came with the game, though, so I have managed to see it regardless. ;)

Somehow watching the first .hack episode made me even more confused then before heh heh

The mantra of those who have seen the entire series is: "You're supposed to be confused."

Mysteries are always fun. ;)

I still think tsukasa is a girl even though he said no to mimir when she asked and i think his guardian is really scawy

I'm 99.9% certain that the girl at the end of the first episode (presumably the one Bear saw in episode #4) is Tsukasa. Not knowing for sure, though, makes it interesting. I've been carefully avoiding any spoilers for .hack//SIGN-- and save a tidbit about Sora, I've managed to succeed.

MoonShadow
Yeah... they probably won't be putting back the opening theme song.... They never have those on Toonami, which is very annoying....

That's not entirely accurate. When Toonami first premiered, it consisted of three shows: Thundercats, Voltron, and The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest. All three retained their original openings for many months-- in the case of Johnny Quest, it retained its opening for its entire two year+ run. Likewise, some later shows have managed to keep their original openings-- Batman: The Animated Series, Superman, Batman Beyond, The Powerpuff Girls, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Transformers: Armada.... to name a few.

That said, yeah, the odds of seeing the opening of an anime on Toonami are slim to none. The same goes for Adult Swim, which has slowly gone the Toonami route. Hats off to SVES for not taking itself so seriously.

On a related note-- I gave Yu Yu Hakusho another whirl. I enjoyed it far more this time around (maybe it's the 'airing at a decent hour' factor) and will probably be sticking with it. Kudos to FUNimation for getting another series right (the first being Dragon Ball).

LadyBeelze
March 4th, 2003, 08:32 AM
Must...avoid .hack//sign...episode guides *gasp* They're try to tempt me to read all of them 0.0

I'm so glad yu yu hakusho is on at a better time, but i still got to stay up late for inuyasha V_V

Darkhood_343
March 4th, 2003, 03:33 PM
Martin
Only if you're prepared to pay $50-$60. The regular edition of the DVD doesn't get released for a few more weeks. This week is the special edition, which includes the first OST, PS2 demo, postcards, stickers, t-shirt, and a Grunty plushie. Limited to 15,000 copies.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: MY GOD!!! That's... a lot. *chooses to wait*

Darn, I missed YYH yesterday. Gotta make sure to catch it today.

LadyBeelze
March 4th, 2003, 06:31 PM
i wish i had 60 dollars, that special edition thing sounds cool.

so they've only edited out the cussing so far in yu yu hakusho, so i'm wondering how they'll handle the violence.

Lord of the Bracelet
March 4th, 2003, 07:24 PM
Horray that DBZ is going to be over, I have been waiting forever to see the end of DBZ. You guys sure has some interesting news, very useful too. I have been and still is the fan of all these cartoons' fan. Talking about cartoons. I like these Japanese fighting and violence cartoons, don't you?

Rachael_Otter 281
March 6th, 2003, 01:44 PM
LOTB
I like these Japanese fighting and violence cartoons, don't you?
It's called Anime. And yes, I like it.

MoonShadow
March 6th, 2003, 02:15 PM
I'm so glad yu yu hakusho is on at a better time, but i still got to stay up late for inuyasha V_VYeah, but I have a severe VCR scheduling problem, and the other VCR is very screwed up. It doesn't tape that well either.... *sigh* I don't know what I'm going to do when RK comes on....

I've been telling some people to watch YuYu Hakusho. Though I'm not sure if any of them actually did. One had a sports game that day, another wouldn't talk to me, and everybody else didn't watch it for other various reasons. It was quite amusing when I told a guy on my bus to watch Cartoon Network at 6, and he goes on a rant saying "If its He-Man, no. If its Transformers, no. If its Dragon Ball or Dragon Ball Z, maybe. If its Tenchi, no. If its Sailor Moon, no. If its Gundam, maybe. etc." I told him that it was YuYu Hakusho and its like DBZ, which seemed to make him more interested. :rolleyes: Everybody's so surprised when they find out that I watch all of those "boy" fighting cartoons.

Darkhood_343
March 6th, 2003, 02:27 PM
Moon-moon
Everybody's so surprised when they find out that I watch all of those "boy" fighting cartoons.
I was also surprised whenI heard you subscribed to "Shonen" Jump. It was weird.

LadyBeelze
March 6th, 2003, 07:33 PM
I never talk about anime to my friends so they don't know i watch all these cartoons. Sometimes i feel a little out with my friends, they're interested in makeup and the hottest new pop song and fashion stuff while i'm here drawing very disturbing pictures on my pad or watching millions of hours of anime or playing videogames and wishing that the evil color named "PINK" would die someday soon. *sigh*

its killing me having inuyasha on a half hour later now...oops..maybe i should talk about that stuff in the inuyasha thread *disappears*

Martin the Warrior
March 8th, 2003, 12:17 AM
Darkhood
That's... a lot. *chooses to wait*

Well, I'm pleased with it. Importing the soundtrack alone would run me $30-- combine that with the DVD, which would also be $30, and you've already gotten what you've paid for. Throw in three postcards, a sheet of stickers, a PS2 demo, T-shirt, and Grunty plushie, plus a really cool box, and you've got yourself a real nice deal.

As far as DVD extras go, in addition to the dub and sub tracks, you've got an isolated score track, textless opening and closing, character design galleries (Tsukasa and Mimiru only), and a two-three minute trailer for .hack//INFECTION.

Everyone's in for a real treat with episode #5, BTW. Absolutely excellent episode not only introducing us to Crim but featuring a lot of character development for everyone else. B.T. is also finally named. And let's say there's a reason it's entitled "Captured". ;)

The only flaw with the DVD is that even the subtitles name Ginkan the Silver Knight. But, that more a matter of preference than an actual flaw.

Beelze
so they've only edited out the cussing so far in yu yu hakusho, so i'm wondering how they'll handle the violence.

Violence rarely gets edited out of Toonami. Only extreme cases are altered-- Kuririn spending 50% of an episode gored on Freeza's horn is a good example of this (ten minutes or so was cut down to roughly thirty seconds and the episode was combined with the one following it). Dr. Gero impaling Yamucha with his arm is another instance of it. They also didn't allow Unit 01 breaking Sachiel's arm, etc. If it's simply a very bloody fight, they'll digitally edit it and that's it, end of story. It will remain otherwise intact. If it's something graphic, then they'll either shorten it or cut around it.

It's not really worth getting worked up about edits these days unless they're absolutely horrible like the Fox cut of Escaflowne was. A few swear words and blood do not make a show and their removal doesn't destroy it. If you want them uncut, then you should buy the DVDs. I find edited broadcasts to be a great way to judge whether or not you like a series enough to spend $30 on a DVD. They're good things.

The above isn't actually directed at you, Beelze. ;)

Rachael
LOTB:
I like these Japanese fighting and violence cartoons, don't you?

It's called Anime. And yes, I like it.

I wouldn't say that "Japanese fighting and violence cartoons" and "anime" are interchangeable. Nor would I say fighting and violence are the appeal of these shows. A series needs to have an enjoyable plot, first of all, and decent animation. Action is fine-- violence for the sake of violence is not. Stereotyping anime as "fighting and violence" does the genre no good.

MoonShadow
"If its He-Man, no. If its Transformers, no. If its Dragon Ball or Dragon Ball Z, maybe. If its Tenchi, no. If its Sailor Moon, no. If its Gundam, maybe. etc."

Well, next time bop him and say He-Man and Tenchi are good! ;) (unless he means Tenchi in Tokyo, which is downright awful.)

Darkhood
I was also surprised whenI heard you subscribed to "Shonen" Jump. It was weird.

Honestly, I wasn't surprised in the least. Perhaps I know too many anime/manga fangirls.

LadyBeelze
March 8th, 2003, 09:25 AM
I don't really like he-man or transformers armada, don't know why though.

MoonShadow
March 8th, 2003, 12:26 PM
Honestly, I wasn't surprised in the least. Perhaps I know too many anime/manga fangirls.Well, I know a lot of anime/manga fangirls online, and like... one from my Chinese school. :\

Baby Rollo
March 9th, 2003, 11:10 AM
I actually saw an episode of .hack//sign last night at Midnight. I didn't really understand the whole plot and it was very weird.

MoonShadow
March 11th, 2003, 06:57 PM
Well, for you people who watch YuYu Hakusho, Cartoon Network (according to their schedule) will be airing new episodes, starting Lamenting Beauty on April 2. We really need to get another VCR....

LadyBeelze
March 12th, 2003, 09:14 AM
April 2, yay i've been wating forever for new yu yu hakusho episodes. Thanx for the info

LadyBeelze
March 12th, 2003, 07:33 PM
Today i watched the yu yu hakusho episode where yusukes trying to get the third artificat back and i think i noticed some edits if my memory serves me right. The part where kurama blocked hei's attack for yusuke looked like it was edited somewhat. I renember the sword going through and kurama flicking his blood in hei's gorgon eye but it just looked like kurama blocked the attack quickly and hei backed away moaning. Maybe i'm being to fussy :P Also at the end the part with (how do you spell whats his name, the one with the binky :)) the hundred spankings he got for punishment. okay i'm done ranting on about that ....

i'm still mad at cartoon network for shoving inuyasha up a half hour later then it was, its starting to get to me waking up at 11 pm to put in a blank tape...ZzzzzzzzzzZzz

Martin the Warrior
March 12th, 2003, 08:00 PM
The baby is named Koenma (a more proper translation of "King Yama" is "Enma-daiou", which makes the name more appropriate).

Songbreeze
March 15th, 2003, 05:55 PM
I wish they would stop editing so many parts out of Yu Yu Hakusho too. Like on the last episode they showed they skipped the part where Kuwabara asked Bolton (is that how you spell it :confused: ) to marry him. Actually I kind of thought that part was funny. :)

LadyBeelze
March 15th, 2003, 06:09 PM
i know! i noticed that too, why is cartoon network editing outstuff that doesn't have to be edited out. I can understand some things but this is just stupid

MoonShadow
March 17th, 2003, 04:02 PM
Well, I don't even know if Cartoon Network is the one editing the stuff out, because Funimation already had the edited versions out on video before....

LadyBeelze
March 17th, 2003, 07:36 PM
Well, I don't even know if Cartoon Network is the one editing the stuff out, because Funimation already had the edited versions out on video before....

maybe...

I'm so glad that the new dbz episodes are finally coming on!

Another yu yu hakusho edit i seen today is they left out the part where yusuke explained that he attached the cigerette to the guy so he could see him. Though i can see a little bit why they edited that but anyways

I watched kenshin today and i loved it! For some reason it kind bugs me that the blade can't kill because i have a strong urge to jump into the series and start slaying everyone with a sword....don't ask

heh.......i watched 2 hours straight today of anime....dbz, yu yu hakusho, kenshin, n digimon frontier....my mom might start worrying about me if i start watching 6 hours a day

The Red Badger
March 17th, 2003, 08:48 PM
FUNi does the edits.

For some reason it kind bugs me that the blade can't kill because i have a strong urge to jump into the series and start slaying everyone with a sword....don't ask

If that bugs you after only one episode, you'll be downright bothered by it before long. :cool:

LadyBeelze
March 17th, 2003, 09:17 PM
it doesn't bug me that much though....just a little.

Songbreeze
March 17th, 2003, 09:29 PM
It's really bugging me too. Yusuke just happens to shoot accurately in total darkness when just moments before he was blind. What's up with that?:rolleyes:

Darkhood_343
March 18th, 2003, 12:41 PM
*missed Kenshin on Monday* Can someone give me a brief summary of what happened?

LadyBeelze
March 18th, 2003, 07:16 PM
i'd try to summerize the episode but theres so many words that are hard to spell that i wouldn't really be of help. i liked the episode though ^^* hmmmmm.....*goes off into a temp. dreamland*

Darkhood_343
March 18th, 2003, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the help Beezl. Not

Martin the Warrior
March 18th, 2003, 11:21 PM
I have to agree with Reds, Beelze. If you're bugged just from the first episode-- the lengths to which Kenshin goes to uphold his vow later in the series will drive you insane. ;)

I halfheartedly watched Kenshin's premiere-- I've already seen these episodes numerous times both subbed and dubbed and nitpicking edits isn't very enticing to me, so I'll most likely be passing on the series' broadcast altogether. Of course, that doesn't mean I won't discuss the episodes with people seeing them for the first time. ;) The thing I was most curious about, though, was which ending theme they'd use for the show and what animation. In the animation department, I was correct: they used footage from the show's first opening, "Freckles". Naturally they cut around the lighthearted moments. Oddly enough, though, they used the third (and fifth if you want to get technical) ending theme-- which is the best, in my opinion. Odd, though, considering the first two had already been re-recorded in English. Still, can't complain.

For those that care about edits, only a little blood and profanity seemed to be cut.

Darkhood-- in a (large) nutshell, while walking through the streets of Tokyo, Kenshin is attacked by Kaoru Kamiya who accuses him of being Hitokiri Battousai. After a bit of a slapstick encounter, Kenshin learns that someone claiming to be the legendary manslayer, Battousai, has been committing murders in the name of the Kamiya Kasshin Style. Kaoru, being the Assistant Master of the Kamiya Kasshin Dojo, cannot let these false accusations go unopposed, so she's resolved to get to the bottom of this. After apologizing for mistaking Kenshin for the Battousai (why would a manslayer carry around a reverse-blade sword incapable of killing anyone?), she runs off and gets into an altercation with the real culprit. She's injured, but saved by Kenshin who takes her back to the dojo. It's here that Kenshin becomes acquainted with Kaoru and her problem. Fast forward, the man committing these murders winds up being Gohei Hiruma, a student of the Kamiya Kasshin style that was expelled and seeks to dishonor the dojo as revenge. When he appears and attacks Kaoru, Kenshin intervenes. "The style of the Battousai is neither Kamiya Kasshin nor whatever style you use, but that of Hiten Mitsurugi." That's when it dawns on both Gohei and Kaoru that Kenshin is the real Hitokiri Battousai. After a brief fight in which Kenshin takes out all of Gohei's thugs, he turns his attention to Gohei himself and cripples his hand so he can never hold a sword again. Apologizing to Kaoru for causing her all this trouble, Kenshin begins to leave and Kaoru asks him to stay. He points out that having the Battousai at her school probably isn't a good idea, but she retorts that she doesn't want the Battousai, she wants the rurouni (wanderer). And so, Kenshin ends his days as a wanderer and finds a home at the Kamiya Dojo.

As an aside-- tomorrow's episode, "Swordsman of Sorrow", is one of my favorites from the first arc (if it can be called such). If anybody's missed catching Kenshin so far, it's a great jumping on point. The first real hint of Kenshin's past and his role during the revolution.

Red Draco
March 19th, 2003, 10:35 AM
Martin: Sorry if you covered this in a previous post, but I don't see it ... do you have any idea when the new DBZ episodes are coming to Canada?

Darkhood_343
March 19th, 2003, 09:58 PM
Wow, thanks Nartin. I agree about todays eppy, it was quite kewl.

Martin the Warrior
March 20th, 2003, 10:08 PM
Draco-- nope, not a clue. YTV usually isn't very far behind CN, though, so I'd imagine it would be in the next few months. It depends on when the Ocean dub is finished, I suppose.

Re: Kenshin-- as I did with episode #3, I thought I'd compile a list of the better Kenshin episodes that I recommend people be sure to catch (naturally, catching all of them is best. ;)). I'll be avoiding major plot spoilers and will describe the episodes as vaguely as possible.

First are episodes 8-11, which pit Kenshin against the Oniwaban group, a force of five almost supernatural fighters who were responsible for defending Edo Castle during the revolution. This arc is significant for two reasons: one, it introduces us to the last of the series' supporting characters, Ms. Megumi. Two, it introduces us to Aoshi Shinomori, leader of the Oniwaban, whose vendetta against Kenshin (for the events of these episodes) plays an important part later in the Kyoto Arc.

Episode 18 is also a favorite of mine, a stand-alone episode where Yahiko decides he's ready to use a real sword and takes Kenshin's reverse-blade sword to prove his point. Naturally, just when Kenshin needs it most. Some very nice animation in this episode and one of Yahiko's defining moments.

Rounding out my recommendations for the Tokyo Arc (which is the first arc of the series and what everyone's currently watching) are episodes 23 & 24, a two-parter where Sanosuke is reunited with another survivor of the Sekihoutai and commits to a path that puts him at odds with Kenshin once more.

With episode 28, the Kyoto Arc finally begins, which is widely regarded as the best arc of the series. The first four episodes of this arc, 28-31, are my personal favorites and introduce Hajime Saito, a former leader of the Shinsengumi and frequent rival of Kenshin's during the revolution. Saito arrives in Tokyo and immediately targets Kenshin and his friends, culminating in one of the greatest anime battles ever in episode 30 between the two of them. Then, with episode 31, Saito's reason for being in Tokyo are revealed and suddenly everything isn't what it appears. Kenshin must choose between continuing to live his peaceful life at the Kamiya Dojo or return to his life as a rurouni and, possibly, as Hitokiri Battousai.

Episode 36 is notable as the first time Kenshin and Saito come face to face with Makoto Shishio-- the main villain of the Kyoto Arc and Kenshin's heir-apparent to the title of "Battousai the Manslayer". I don't want to spoil anything about Shishio, though, so I'll leave it at that.

Finally, episodes 41-44 see Kenshin returning to his master, the man who taught him everything he knows about swordsmanship, Hiko Seijuro the 13th. Kenshin's goal is to learn the final, ultimate attack of the Hiten Mitsurugi style. But, will the master he abandoned to fight in the revolution be willing to complete his training?

Those are just a few of the more notable episodes. If you watch Kenshin sparingly, I'd advise catching at least these ones (especially the start of the Kyoto Arc). Otherwise, just look forward to them.

Darkhood_343
March 21st, 2003, 03:04 PM
Martin
Episode 18 is also a favorite of mine, a stand-alone episode where Yahiko decides he's ready to use a real sword and takes Kenshin's reverse-blade sword to prove his point. Naturally, just when Kenshin needs it most. Some very nice animation in this episode and one of Yahiko's defining moments.
Sound kewl, I like Yahiko for some reason. Why does Kenshin need the sword?

LadyBeelze
March 21st, 2003, 04:52 PM
Yahiko is pretty cool but he seems more like a big loud mouth than anything else...maybe my opinion will change once i see more eps

i was reading some magna scans the other day and kenshin said he was 28 year old....interesting anyway *yawns*

LadyBeelze
March 21st, 2003, 07:22 PM
another minor yu yu hakusho edit; when hei slashed at the bat thingy with his sword there was no blood pouring out after just a red line down the middle.

i liked today's kenshin episode :D

MoonShadow
March 21st, 2003, 07:38 PM
i was reading some magna scans the other day and kenshin said he was 28 year old....interesting anyway *yawns*That's because he is. ;) Funnily enough, the blue-haired girl is 18 years old if I remember right. A bit of a large age difference if you ask me. ;)

Martin the Warrior
March 21st, 2003, 08:14 PM
Darkhood
Why does Kenshin need the sword?

Why would anyone need a sword? ;) Guess you'll just have wait and see. The episode airs during week four.

Beelze
Yahiko is pretty cool but he seems more like a big loud mouth than anything else...maybe my opinion will change once i see more eps

I'm sure it will. He starts out that way, but he grows as a person as the series progresses.

i was reading some magna scans the other day and kenshin said he was 28 year old....interesting anyway *yawns*

Now, why go spoiling the story/manga by jumping the gun? ;) Word is that Viz has purchased the rights to Kenshin and are planning on adding it to the Shonen Jump line-up once SandLand ends. Patience! ;)

Anyway, yeah, Kenshin is 28. Sanosuke is 19, if memory serves, and Kaoru is 17. Does that surprise you?

when hei slashed at the bat thingy with his sword there was no blood pouring out after just a red line down the middle.

No surprise there. Gushing blood will always be edited on Toonami.

LadyBeelze
March 21st, 2003, 09:31 PM
Anyway, yeah, Kenshin is 28. Sanosuke is 19, if memory serves, and Kaoru is 17. Does that surprise you?

very wide range of ages, yes a little suprising. Usually all the main characters are about the same age.

The Red Badger
March 21st, 2003, 11:38 PM
The reason the age gap is there is so that Kenshin is unique among them in that he fought during the revolution while the others were children or infant bystanders. Only he knew the horrors of the war and only he is haunted by the events (Sano being a rare exception with the betrayal of the Sekihoutai).

Darkhood_343
March 22nd, 2003, 06:35 AM
Martin
I'm sure it will. He starts out that way, but he grows as a person as the series progresses.
That's why I like him.

Martin
Why would anyone need a sword? ;) Guess you'll just have wait and see. The episode airs during week four.
Shoulda known an answer like that was coming. :rolleyes: Wait! I'll just read THE ENTIRE SERIES! What?!?! Darkhood has it? Why yes... he does.

Martin
Nope, not at all. I actually thought Kenshin was older.

The Red Badger
March 22nd, 2003, 02:07 PM
Wait! I'll just read THE ENTIRE SERIES! What?!?! Darkhood has it? Why yes... he does.

Possible if that episode weren't exclusive to the anime. :p

Martin the Warrior
March 22nd, 2003, 09:04 PM
Darkhood
Nope, not at all. I actually thought Kenshin was older.

During that time, swordsmen "came of age" at fifteen. Kenshin was only slightly older than that when he got involved with the revolution.

Something some of you might not be aware of is that Kenshin is historical fiction. Meaning, while some characters are entirely fictitious and/or exaggerated, many of the events and a few of the characters did actually occur/exist in Japanese history. The Meiji Restoration is a rather fascinating time-period to read about.

To give a few examples-- the revolution is an actual event in Japanese history, there was a "false army" called the Sekihoutai, an assassination that occurs later in the series did actually happen the only difference being in who carried it out (the series takes the liberty of having an original/inspired character carry out the assassination and having those who history records as having carried it out arrive moments later and claiming the credit). Likewise, some of the characters in the series actually existed, such as Yamagata (the official from episode #3), Lord Okubo (episodes #30 & #31)... even Hajime Saito was a real person, an actual member of the Shinsengumi. Several other characters, such as Kenshin himself, are inspired by even more. So, the series is a rather nice blend of historical fact and fantasy.

Darkhood_343
March 23rd, 2003, 01:18 PM
Reds
Possible if that episode weren't exclusive to the anime.
Doh! Why God? Why? *whines* Grrr...

Kewl info Martin. I think I'll ask my mom if I can do a study on it for school.

LadyBeelze
March 25th, 2003, 09:36 PM
i liked today's kenshin episode, heh i almost though he was acutally going to kill him.

random question that has no point: how can kenshin narrow his eyes like that and how can they turn red lol

Martin the Warrior
March 25th, 2003, 09:46 PM
Re: narrow-- he's a skilled swordsman. ;)

Re: red eyes-- that's more of a visual indicator for the audience than anything else, similar to a bloodwrath/bloodlust. When Kenshin's eyes are red and/or yellow, it means he's reverted to his former self, Hitokiri Battousai. It denotes a significant change in both his personality and his outlook (a subtle change one may notice is that Kenshin does not say, "that it is" or similar phrases when he's his Battousai self). The next time Kenshin reverts to being the Battousai is (if memory serves)...

...during his duel with Saito in episode 30.

Darkhood_343
March 26th, 2003, 08:15 AM
Beezl
i liked today's kenshin episode, heh i almost though he was acutally going to kill him.
I never for once thought he was going to kill him. I would have been really mad if he had, cause I now have a new favorite villian... besides Vicious, of course.

LadyBeelze
March 26th, 2003, 08:48 AM
hmmmmmm a kenshin bloodwrath lol

never for once thought he was going to kill him. I would have been really mad if he had, cause I now have a new favorite villian... besides Vicious, of course.

But nobody can be cooler than Vicious :eek: lol

MoonShadow
March 28th, 2003, 08:18 PM
Trigun... I believe... is starting the coming Monday! :eek: Just tell me how I'm going to watch all of this television, especially with the new YYH eppies and RK.

LadyBeelze
March 28th, 2003, 08:34 PM
trigun? this monday y'say?!? On Adult Swim? What Time?

i'm starting to have a rather big schedule now

7:30 a.m. - has to renember to pop in blank tape to record digimon frontier and then goes off to the bus stop for school

3:30 p.m. (right when i get home from school...i mean right when i come home lol) - dragon ball z

4:00 - yu yu hakusho

4:30 - ruruni kenshin

5:00 - watches taped digimon fronteir episode

lol...and when inuyasha starts showing new episodes

what happened on dragon ball z today? and kenshin? I missed it because i had to go with mom and family to k-mart to get some stuff...which is a pretty sad story itself. I tried to beg to get pokemon ruby, that i'd pay back in one week and after 20 minutes of feirce debate with mom i won (thats why i won the debate team lol) but no k-mart person was there to open the game cases, so i wait for 20 minutes and then go to the service center and ask for help and then wait another 10 minutes for the person to come. When the person comes he says the key is broken to the cabinet and he can't get in and he has to wait till tonight for a key smith or what ever but k-mart is 2 hours away from home so i said screw it. mom seemed a bit simpathetic so she bought me a yu-gi-oh magazine because shes seen me watching it on tv.......*sigh* i'm still depressed after all that

Baby Rollo
March 28th, 2003, 10:53 PM
Beeze, that's what they invented the brick for.

Goozy
March 29th, 2003, 06:10 PM
I'm a bit too lazy to go back and quote people, so..

I'm more into the Kenshin manga m'self, but.. that is besides the point. The changes in Toonami, seem to me, to be for the better. These new changes introduce new anime to America (sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse) and it's really refreshing to see new things.

I suppose that I could sit down and watch the Kenshin... dub. ^^; *shudder* Okay, I take that back.

But.. yarr! Sanosuke rocks! ;D

As for edits, if you want to see something unedited, don't look at Toonami. The edits on Trigun are going to make me cry if they're as bad as I expect them to be. (I own all of the manga (MAXIMUM too) and TV series on DVD. Yarr!)

Darkhood_343
March 29th, 2003, 09:45 PM
Gooz, you are LUCKY. I wanna get the cash to buy the season from cartoonnetwork.com, and it's sooo much. Grrr... I gotta be sure to cacth Trigun. I've seen one eppy of it and my wall is filled with stuff. Vash is kewl, that he is. And he is the stampede, that he is.

Goozy
March 29th, 2003, 11:09 PM
The Trigun series is very good. Around episode 14, the series loses the comedy and hits drama head on. Of course, it still has it's funny moments, but they're scarce now.

I really reccomend the series to anyone who liked Cowboy Bebop, Kenshin.. all those classics. *nod me* The manga is very good as well.. although, Nightow's style just knocks my socks off.

Martin the Warrior
March 30th, 2003, 07:04 PM
Beelze
trigun? this monday y'say?!? On Adult Swim? What Time?

Midnight EST.

what happened on dragon ball z today?

Let's see... Friday, was it? ...Goku defeated Buu and saved the universe.

and kenshin?

Kenshin defeated Buu and saved the universe.

No, wait... ;)

Kenshin faced off against Hannya and began his fight with Aoshi.

Goozy
I suppose that I could sit down and watch the Kenshin... dub. ^^; *shudder* Okay, I take that back.

Sojiro and Chou are the only dub voices that really bother me. ::shrugs::

As for edits, if you want to see something unedited, don't look at Toonami. The edits on Trigun are going to make me cry if they're as bad as I expect them to be. (I own all of the manga (MAXIMUM too) and TV series on DVD. Yarr!)

True, but Trigun is on Adult Swim. They get away with more. Only Wolfwood's Cross Punisher might cause even a slight stir, but I don't see how they can edit that out. I fully expect dialogue and maybe a little bit of blood to be the only things edited. Well, that and the encounter with Zazi, but censors have this thing about violence against children. :p

Everything else I think will make it intact.

Not that I'm going to watch more than a few episodes since I've got the DVDs, too. ;)

Darkhood
I wanna get the cash to buy the season from cartoonnetwork.com, and it's sooo much.

Technically it's "series", not season, since there's only 26 episodes in all. Trigun is well priced, though, comparitively speaking. Only the 26-episode series on six discs instead of eight beat it.

Goozy
The Trigun series is very good. Around episode 14, the series loses the comedy and hits drama head on. Of course, it still has it's funny moments, but they're scarce now.

I'd say it's more around episode 12 ("Diablo"), myself (still one of my favorites).

Baby Rollo
March 30th, 2003, 09:05 PM
I can't believe the editing Cartoon Network did on Inuyasha. In episode 16, they had all sorts of edits. Most of them involved the hot springs scene. I can't mention some of them...but they did edit out the scene where Kagome hits Inuyasha with the rock and they put the camera higher when Shippo took off his clothes and was about to jump in. Don't know how that's possible though...

LadyBeelze
March 30th, 2003, 09:17 PM
I can't believe the editing Cartoon Network did on Inuyasha. In episode 16, they had all sorts of edits. Most of them involved the hot springs scene. I can't mention some of them...but they did edit out the scene where Kagome hits Inuyasha with the rock and they put the camera higher when Shippo took off his clothes and was about to jump in. Don't know how that's possible though

thats just editing nudity, not that we need to watch that every day anyway ;)

Let's see... Friday, was it? ...Goku defeated Buu and saved the universe.

crud...the day i miss dragonball z hes finally defeat oi V_V

Darkhood_343
March 30th, 2003, 09:36 PM
That's okay Beezl, I missed the one where Gohan killed Cell. (My Fave Villian) And the on where he killed Frieza, and Raditz. but I've seen 'em since then. And if you really wanna see those scenes Rollo, buy the DVD's. Yeah.

Goozy
March 30th, 2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Martin the Warrior

I'd say it's more around episode 12 ("Diablo"), myself (still one of my favorites).

My bad. I dunno why I said episode 14. Yes.. episode 12 was the introduction of one of the coolest anime villains ever... *daydream*

Baby Rollo
March 31st, 2003, 02:43 PM
I did better than that Darkhood. The episode is on my computer. I can watch it as many times as I want. I also have 20 other episodes. Plus I have episodes 103 and 104! Bet none of you can beat that. :P And I"m not telling you where to find them either :P

Martin the Warrior
March 31st, 2003, 02:48 PM
Goozy
Yes.. episode 12 was the introduction of one of the coolest anime villains ever... *daydream*

Legato fangirl. :rolleyes:

Goozy
March 31st, 2003, 03:01 PM
Martin the Warrior
Legato fangirl. :rolleyes:

Not afraid to admit that! *victory*

In Trigun news..

Legato action figure coming out soon. Here's the prototype: http://trigunner.giborama.com/trigunner/merchandise/kailegato.html

*swoon*

Darkhood_343
March 31st, 2003, 07:51 PM
Oh, he is kewl. I still find Vicious kewler though. :D And Rollo, I really don't care that you have those eppys. A baby bankvole shouldn't be wacthing them anyway.

Darkhood_343
April 1st, 2003, 03:30 PM
Will there be a Toonami today? I'm wondering because Cartoon Network is supposedly being taken over by monkeys. X.X

Martin the Warrior
April 1st, 2003, 04:56 PM
When we've got a Toonami thread already, better to ask there instead of starting a new thread. :)

Anyway, it's my understanding that, no, an April Fools Day marathon will be airing all day and Toonami will be pre-empted.

LadyBeelze
April 1st, 2003, 05:32 PM
I wish i'd known about that sooner, i come after school kind of ????ed because i though the wind waker would have arrived in the mail today but it didn't so i turned on the tv to watch dragonball z and this 'acme hour' was on. *sigh...the days depression* well at least i got to watch trigun, which i thought was cool :)

Darkhood_343
April 1st, 2003, 08:19 PM
I missed Trigun. I officially hate the world.

MoonShadow
April 2nd, 2003, 08:34 PM
I didn't watch Trigun... mostly because I just don't think I have the time to watch it... I'll take a look into it in the future... but I'm working very hard these days. ;)

LadyBeelze
April 2nd, 2003, 08:41 PM
i didn't get to see the second episode of trigun though, my tv that had the ONLY vcr in the house that could tape was having problems...the sound was disorted so you couldn't tell what the heck anybody was saying. I liked the first episode though, very hilarious, heheh that guy with the spikey yellow hair and the glaces...sorry i'm not really good at names until i've heard it a million times lol

yay a new yuyu hakusho episode today! *smiles*

Darkhood_343
April 2nd, 2003, 08:59 PM
His name is VASH! Get it straight! He's the coolest!

LadyBeelze
April 2nd, 2003, 09:08 PM
ok got it, vash! :)

Darkhood_343
April 2nd, 2003, 10:07 PM
Good. He's also known as Vash the Stampede. :D ;)

LadyBeelze
April 13th, 2003, 09:59 AM
yesterday i put in a tape to record .hack//sign and i pushed the record button and it would record for a couple of minutes and then the vcr would turn it off. So i turned it on and pushed record again, i did that two more times and then i took out the tape and all the film inside of it was out of the tape and broken *sniff* stupid vcr..X.x ...betta get this fixed before may

Darkhood_343
April 13th, 2003, 04:26 PM
With all the problems you have with your VCR Beezl, it sounds like you just need to get a new one.

MoonShadow
April 13th, 2003, 06:12 PM
Beelz, you just might want to invest in a new VCR.... Saves you a lot of trouble with evil recording problems.

LadyBeelze
April 13th, 2003, 07:00 PM
I know, i keep asking my mom if we can get a new vcr but she says that we don't need a new one not even after i showed her the ruined blank tape. Maybe if i break the vcr over her head she'll buy a new one >_>

http://home.graffiti.net/ladybeelze/purple3.jpg

Darkhood_343
April 14th, 2003, 12:20 PM
http://home.graffiti.net/darkhood_343/beezlvcr.jpg

What he said. It's mean to do that.

LadyBeelze
April 14th, 2003, 03:23 PM
okay whatever >.> I still do want to break it

Darkhood_343
April 14th, 2003, 04:57 PM
What tpye of VCR is it, and what year was it manufactured? Maybe if I knew that, I could help you with your problem.

Martin the Warrior
April 15th, 2003, 11:35 PM
Sidenote-- for whatever reason, CN is apparently restarting Rurouni Kenshin after episode #28 (which is the first episode of the Kyoto Arc). There's no word on if this means they'll be ignoring the Kyoto Arc altogether (as doomists would have you believe) or if there are editing issues with the BS&P, or if they're buying more time so they can try to figure out inventive ways to edit the fight with Shishio.... whatever the reason, Kenshin will start over at episode #1 on the 24th of April. A perfect opportunity for those who missed it the first time around.

LadyBeelze
April 16th, 2003, 10:58 AM
awwww :(

They're going to show reruns, that stinks. Well at least i can watch that episode i missed but still.

Also on the episode yesterday (tues) was it just my ears decieving me or did sanoske (sp?) say . . . in the episode? i thought they were editing out stuff like that?

Darkhood_343
April 16th, 2003, 11:29 AM
Not sure Beezl, I probably wouldn't have noticed. And it's spelled S-a-n-o-s-u-k-e, okay? Now I have a question, what the heck was up with yesterdays episode? I mean, it didn't look like Yahiko when it showed Yahiko. The animation was a bit different. Why was that?

The Red Badger
April 16th, 2003, 12:48 PM
Beelze, that's officially a strike. Swearing is against the board rules (even when quoting), using facsimilies such as starred out versions is against board rules, as is using symbols as substitutes to spell out the words in order to circumvent the filter. Most definitely against the rules. Don't do it again.

LadyBeelze
April 16th, 2003, 12:55 PM
sorry, i didn't mean anything by it :(

Lyrian Aryns
April 18th, 2003, 12:44 AM
Okay, Cartoon Network is driving me insane. First .hack, now Kenshin... and the one time I actually WANT them to start over (YYH), they start airing new episodes! I swear, they do it just to annoy me. Ah, well... maybe I'll just pester my mom till she lets me get the DVDs or something...
Which reminds me. A few days ago, I got a late birthday present... as it turned out, some relatives of mine had heard me talking about RK, and had gotten me the first DVD. So now Lyrian has seen the first four episodes with unedited blood and profanity! Yay! [minor sarcasm]

But that reminds me of something else. No doubt all you old anime fans are going to pounce on me for this, but... subtitles are highly annoying! I have this weird habit of not watching the TV screen at odd intervals, which, as you could tell, does not work well... not to mention that I can barely watch what's going on while reading text at the bottom of the screen. And I always have to rewind the thing because I missed what so-and-so said, and... I dunno. It's just more fun to watch the dub, I guess. Though I do love the way they pronounce the names of characters, but that ends up distracting me, too! ... *glares back at all the angry faces* Well, at least be happy that you've got me watching the stuff!
;)

Oh, and Beelze, I guess I heard that, too... though I really wasn't certain about it at the time. *shrug* Who knows?

And there was something else I was gonna say, but it's late, and I forgot. :p

Martin the Warrior
April 18th, 2003, 01:36 AM
Lyrian
Okay, Cartoon Network is driving me insane. First .hack, now Kenshin... and the one time I actually WANT them to start over (YYH), they start airing new episodes!

Well, it was rather understandable with .hack, it switching blocks and all that. On the plus side, it was only after four episodes and we've now had three new episodes already, so we're back on track.

YYH wouldn't start over since the batch of episodes that aren't new have been aired and reaired numerous times on Adult Swim. Unless I'm mistaken, they'll be going up through episode #60 this season (today [Thursday] was #33).

Now, Kenshin I don't quite get, I'll readily admit. The series is 95 episodes long, CN was supposedly going to do a full run-- why they'd stop after the first episode of the Kyoto Arc is puzzling. But, the simple fact that they're airing that and have been running the fight with Saito (from the third episode of the Kyoto Arc) over and over and over in promos is proof enough for me that they'll air it eventually.

But that reminds me of something else. No doubt all you old anime fans are going to pounce on me for this, but... subtitles are highly annoying!

:: pounces ::

Just kidding. ;)

And I always have to rewind the thing because I missed what so-and-so said, and... I dunno. It's just more fun to watch the dub, I guess. Though I do love the way they pronounce the names of characters, but that ends up distracting me, too! ... *glares back at all the angry faces* Well, at least be happy that you've got me watching the stuff!

Glad to hear you got the DVD. Subtitles do take some getting used to, no doubt about it. But, after a little while, it does become second nature. Plus, the pause button is a life-saver when you've got a particularly long string of text to read. ;) There are some shows that, quite honestly, need to be seen subbed. There aren't many I'd put on that list, but Escaflowne is a prime example.

In general, though, so long as a dub is competent, there's nothing wrong with choosing that over subs. I've watched roughly two thirds of Kenshin dubbed and it's not a bad job by any stretch of the word. In fact, the only things I'd strike it for would be the awkwardness that comes from having the dub VAs use the Japanese names for the attacks (more noticeable for the ultimate Hiten Mitsurugi attack, Amakakeru Ryu no Hirameki) and the fact that Sojiro's VAs are pretty painful to listen to (the second one moreso than the first). Beyond that, the actors do an adequate job and the script is fairly faithful. So, enjoy watching the dub, guilt free!

Just be sure to keep on giving subs a try. ;)

LadyBeelze
April 18th, 2003, 11:40 AM
I think i might be asking for kenshin and yyh dvds for my birthday thats coming up in a little bit more than a month. But for now i think i'm content with watching them off toonami :)

Question, are the yu yu hakusho dvds unedited?

Subtitles are hard to watch sometimes, yes but i think i've gotten use to them. Plus i like listening to the japanese voices sometimes lol (kagome: osuwari! inuyasha: ahhh) But some people say that so and so anime's dub is horrible so i go and see the original and i hardly see a difference except that everyones speaking japanese and a few minor edits that only last a second.

.........*forgets what she was going to say* .....ummmm.....er
..oh yeah. I liked yesterday's rk with sanosuke, kauru seriously scared me with the big eyes during the episode 0.o and kenshin and sanosuke fought again gwee...i don't know why i find that entertaining...okay *shutups*

Goozy
April 18th, 2003, 02:31 PM
But some people say that so and so anime's dub is horrible so i go and see the original and i hardly see a difference except that everyones speaking japanese and a few minor edits that only last a second.

I believe that some people hear a difference in audio, such as, the Japanese actors may put more emotion into their work and seem to be more into the roles than dub actors are.

What anime are you reffering to by the way?

Darkhood_343
April 18th, 2003, 04:03 PM
I like subbed. I like to have it on, cause it says things that are soemtimes never there, and the japanese people put a lot more effort into there work. I think that when they sit down to do a dub session, they just don't wanna get in, get out and get on with life. (I HATE that phrase!) Besides, I hate when I spell names wrong. Subs help out wth that problem.

MoonShadow
April 18th, 2003, 07:32 PM
To tell the truth, I've never watched a subbed anime. I've watched Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon with both sub and dub on (don't ask, and plus, I didn't know how to use the DVD remote control at the time), and I think that's it. :P

I remember that Card Captor Sakura fans had a lot of complaints with the dub, including how Sakura and the others sounded with the English VAs. True, Cardcaptors was pretty destroyed compared to the original, but it was still *cringe* good.

While I will be trying to decide whether to ask for Please Save My Earth or some other anime title for my birthday.... (I've already got Spirited Away--excellent animation and a great movie)

Goozy
April 18th, 2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by MoonShadow

I remember that Card Captor Sakura fans had a lot of complaints with the dub, including how Sakura and the others sounded with the English VAs. True, Cardcaptors was pretty destroyed compared to the original, but it was still *cringe* good.

... this is one of these times when I worship subs. Cardcaptors, in my humble opinion, was horrible. I had been watching CCS prior to it being released here in America and have most of the manga. Yarr.. well.. they cut out too much and the cutting of episodes made me wanna rip out my eyes.

Why'd they start with episode 8 anyway? Made me go nuts.

MoonShadow
April 21st, 2003, 12:05 PM
Well, considering Cardcaptors was probably the turning point in my manga/anime experience.... Let's just put it this way: Before CCS, I had no idea what an "anime" was, or what what a "manga" was, let alone what "CLAMP" was. Plus, it was the first time I actually used the computer for something other than school and purple-moon (bleh) and maybe games. Yes, I knew it was Japanese animation (somehow... roots back to Sailor Moon and some of my in-China-anime-watching). Though it was really Yu-Gi-Oh! that got me going to practically the "obsession" level, then G Gundam, then back to YGO. Then one day, I decided to watch the Adult Swim action block, and that probably completely got my interest in anime. As for manga.... it's SJ.

Now back to Cardcaptors. The series is probably much more painful for people who were already quite familiar with the original Japanese series and the manga, because they know how much was changed--even the dialogues were radically different in some parts. As for first-timers, it was still interesting. Though now when I look back it, it's like, "Why the heck did they start on the 8th eppy? And why is it that they made "Li" his FIRST name? And why are the episodes all out of order? And why did KidsWB only about a fourth of the episodes? And why did they create a whole unneccessary episode where basically the whole thing was flashbacks? And why do they play flashbacks from episodes that never were aired?" And so on. *pats good YYH, RK, and Inuyasha dub*

Goozy
April 21st, 2003, 01:18 PM
Well, considering Cardcaptors was probably the turning point in my manga/anime experience.... Let's just put it this way: Before CCS, I had no idea what an "anime" was, or what what a "manga" was, let alone what "CLAMP" was. Plus, it was the first time I actually used the computer for something other than school and purple-moon (bleh) and maybe games. Yes, I knew it was Japanese animation (somehow... roots back to Sailor Moon and some of my in-China-anime-watching). Though it was really Yu-Gi-Oh! that got me going to practically the "obsession" level, then G Gundam, then back to YGO. Then one day, I decided to watch the Adult Swim action block, and that probably completely got my interest in anime.

Ah, I see. I see. The anime that really made me obsessive was.. hmm... Robotech in 3rd-4th grade. Series really blew my mind away and I used to run home from school, do my homework, and watch it just in time before dinner.

Now, I get home from school: Read a little bit, watch Yu-Gi-Oh!, watch He-Man, watch Yu-Gi-Oh! in raw Japanese on my computer and do homework/procrastinate the entire night till 1:00. As for manga.. hrm.. I read anything that's in Shounen Jump. Although... they didn't bring all the series from SJ to America, so I'm a tad annoyed. I really wanted to get Bleach, Hikaru no Go, Hunter X Hunter, and Prince of Tennis. I can't think of why they didn't pick those up.. but.. maybe just because they wouldn't think they'd sell big here?

Yep. :D I'm a lazy bum~

LadyBeelze
April 21st, 2003, 05:47 PM
That sounds horrible even though i've never seen cardcaptors before. Though kidswb does horrible on dubbing. I've stopped watching yu-gi-oh on that channel and only watch episodes when i can raw on the computer. What first got me into anime was when i first got my gameboy and pokemon blue version. Then i found out there was a pokemon tv show so i checked that out for a couple weeks until they took it off that channel. Mad i started flipping the channels looking to see if i had the channel it moved to and i stopped on this show that kind of reminded me of pokemon later to be known to me as "Digimon" ...I just found more anime as i learned that you could *cough* download *cough* episodes off the inernet...

MoonShadow
April 22nd, 2003, 08:52 PM
Currently, I'm pretty annoyed at the cable company because of all of this blah, they reduced our cable package to Broadcast Basic, so we re-upgraded to Family Cable or whatever it's called, but it doesn't go into effect until Saturday. Oh well....

It's sort of annoying that most of the animes airing on television are shonens. It'd be really nice if they'd show something like Fushigi Yuugi, which I'm dying to see, but I don't want to dish out the money for the DVDs.

Darkhood_343
April 22nd, 2003, 09:27 PM
And I want to see the rest of EVA, and I wish they'd show it on regular cable. :rolleyes: Yeah right. I NEED cash now. *holds up the bank* *fails* Darn.

Goozy
April 22nd, 2003, 10:47 PM

It's sort of annoying that most of the animes airing on television are shonens. It'd be really nice if they'd show something like Fushigi Yuugi, which I'm dying to see, but I don't want to dish out the money for the DVDs.

Don't get the DVDs. Too little for too much.

Better off just buying it subbed on VHS.

Depends on what you mean by shounen, too. Shounen, to me, is DBZ. I'm a -big- fan of Shounen Jump, but lots of girls read that too. Shojou like Fushigi Yuugi is the only type I can really like.. I dunno. I'm weird.

I do like Yami no Matsuei, Gravitation, Card Captor Sakura, Gohou Drug, and.. um.. CLAMP. :P

Martin the Warrior
April 23rd, 2003, 04:21 PM
Beelze
Question, are the yu yu hakusho dvds unedited?

I believe they're available both edited and unedited. Naturally, only unedited would contain a sub track.

But some people say that so and so anime's dub is horrible so i go and see the original and i hardly see a difference except that everyones speaking japanese and a few minor edits that only last a second.

99% of the time the people saying that are purists who refuse to accept anything but the original. I've never been one to bash a dub simply because it's a dub-- it's to be expected that voices will sound different and slight edits will be made. All that matters is if the dub retains the intent of the plot and the acting is decent. The only dub I honestly, truly hate is Escaflowne (the Fox edit, anyway). Everything else I've seen has been decent, if not good.

MoonShadow
While I will be trying to decide whether to ask for Please Save My Earth or some other anime title for my birthday.... (I've already got Spirited Away--excellent animation and a great movie)

Perfect time to get Castle in the Sky and Kiki's Delivery Service, too. ;)

Goozy
Although... they didn't bring all the series from SJ to America, so I'm a tad annoyed. I really wanted to get Bleach, Hikaru no Go, Hunter X Hunter, and Prince of Tennis. I can't think of why they didn't pick those up.. but.. maybe just because they wouldn't think they'd sell big here?

You expected them to translate all the series in the Japanese Jump?

Personally, I think they made a good decision with their choices. To successfully penetrate the magazine/comic market, they need to rely on name recognition. So, they anchor the magazine with the manga for shows already popular in the US (Dragon Ball Z, Yu Gi Oh, & Yu Yu Hakusho) and fill the rest with titles no one in the general market has heard of yet but will probably become popular in the future (One Piece, Naruto, Shaman King). Use the old to sell the new. If Jump doesn't do well, it will not bode well for the market and would decrease our chances of seeing any titles in the future. It's just not practical to build an ambitious venture like the US release of Jump around untested, unknown titles like the ones you mentioned. Penetrate the market first, then phase the titles in.

Re: shounen/shoujo-- again, it's all about market penetration. Action cartoons targeted at boys are easier to sell than series targeted at girls, hence more get brought over/broadcast.

LadyBeelze
April 23rd, 2003, 07:29 PM
Cartoon Network must die! After seeing today's rurouni kenshin episode its cruel to start at episode one tommorow. The episode kind of drew me in and then what happened it ended *sigh*

Is it just me or all the people kurama fights gets him at a disadvantage so he can't use his full power. Its stupid ?.?

Goozy
April 23rd, 2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Martin the Warrior
You expected them to translate all the series in the Japanese Jump?

Duh! Yeah! ;)

LadyBeelze
April 24th, 2003, 06:47 PM
I've heard that theres been a 27th episode of .hack//sign made..i thought that it ended at episode 26 :/

Martin the Warrior
April 24th, 2003, 11:24 PM
Beelze
Cartoon Network must die! After seeing today's rurouni kenshin episode its cruel to start at episode one tommorow. The episode kind of drew me in and then what happened it ended *sigh*

Well, I did say it was a good one, didn't I? ;) I'll have to see how they handled the Kyoto flashback the next time it airs.

Still, though, this is miniscule compared to what DBZ fans had to endure after the first two seasons.

Is it just me or all the people kurama fights gets him at a disadvantage so he can't use his full power. Its stupid ?.?

Well, how interesting a fight would it be if he could fight at full power? ;)

Goozy
Duh! Yeah!

Can I interest you in a bridge? ;)

Beelze
I've heard that theres been a 27th episode of .hack//sign made..i thought that it ended at episode 26 :/

I haven't heard anything to that effect. .hack//SIGN was a 26 episode series that is over and done with. The anime side of .hack continued with the .hack//LIMINALITY OVAs packed in with the game and with the anime adaptation of the manga, commonly known as .hack//DUSK (although that's nothing more than a fan-title for the manga, I'm told). I strongly doubt there's a 27th episode of SIGN.

LadyBeelze
April 25th, 2003, 11:13 PM
Still, though, this is miniscule compared to what DBZ fans had to endure after the first two seasons.

I hated that :mad: I'm just glad they finally got dbz done.

I missed some of the yu yu hakusho episode today cauz the whole family went to the mountains looking for deer antler sheds. Even though i didn't find any, we did see 45 deer, 33 elk, numerious jackrabbits and lizards, a badger, and a dead squirrel. Anyway getting on topic....seems i didn't rewind the tape all the way so it didn't record all of the episode....It got to the part where geni...'the wind master' or whatever was zooming around the arena. Well its night time *gets off the computer and off to bed* >.>

LadyBeelze
April 26th, 2003, 08:37 PM
*screams* I just checked out to see the schedule for May 5th to see if the new inuyasha episodes were going to come on. And it turns out after airing episodes 1-36 like they are now they are going to do it yet again with episode 1. :( *sniff sniff* Me Wants New Inuyasha Episodes...Cartoon Network likes tormenting people with excessive reruns

Red Draco
April 27th, 2003, 01:32 PM
Martin was right as usual, the Canadian dub of DBZ started up shortly after the last 15 American episodes did. ;) We've still got a few left. It also looks like we're not getting DB GT :(

Martin the Warrior
April 28th, 2003, 11:46 PM
Beelze
It got to the part where geni...'the wind master' or whatever was zooming around the arena.

Jin.

Draco
It also looks like we're not getting DB GT :(

Some may call that a blessing. ;) There's actually a bit of controversy surrounding DBGT right now. A few weeks ago FUNimation began releasing the series on VHS and DVD, yet for some inexplicable reason they skipped the first sixteen episodes and began the releases with #17. They even went so far as to prepare a "summary" episode giving a rundown of what happened in the first sixteen episodes. Initially they said that the episodes themselves would be released at a later date, but an e-mail has been circulating saying that they have no plans to do that (turning down the opportunity to make more money off of Dragon Ball?). So, naturally everyone is overreacting, cursing FUNi, jumping the gun, and vowing to never buy or watch anything they release ever again. It's all rather amusing. :D

Speaking of DBGT, however... as far as those two DVD releases go, it's easily the most complete sub-job FUNi has ever done. For the first time, everything's in there: they finally included the original episode previews and translated the original credits. And, to their credit, I didn't find the episodes to be terrible. They certainly lack Toriyama's charm, but are enjoyable enough.

On the downside, the dub doesn't use the original score like DB does and the opening theme itself is rather.... well.... ::coughhere (http://www.dragonballgt.com/what_gt/230web.mp3)cough::

Anyway, I doubt DBGT will never air in Canada. It might just take awhile. Hang in there.

Slagar the Cruel
April 28th, 2003, 11:49 PM
It also looks like we're not getting DB GT :(...so why are you frowning? ;) Trust me, you're not missing anything.

Darkhood_343
April 29th, 2003, 08:38 PM
The linkage you gave dont work Martin...

LadyBeelze
April 30th, 2003, 07:22 PM
The link works just fine me...*waits for the mp3 to finish downloading*

Goozy
May 1st, 2003, 08:31 AM
THE HORROR! THE HORROR! Oh, can you subject us to this torture?!

MoonShadow
May 1st, 2003, 03:30 PM
I only listened to the first 20 seconds of it and I'm already cringing in pain! (Now how did that become the opening theme?)

LadyBeelze
May 1st, 2003, 06:51 PM
*twich twich*~*agony in astricks* How...could...they ...make ..**gasps in double astricks** ..such a evil and vile...Theme Song Just listening to that makes me not so sure i want to see dragonball gt :(

Darkhood_343
May 1st, 2003, 08:59 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!! *takes a breath* AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHH!!!

THAT WAS HORRIBLE!!! *bashes himself into wall* DONT EVER DO MAKE ME LISTEN TO THAT TRAVESTY AGAIN!

LadyBeelze
May 2nd, 2003, 06:52 PM
*bashes head against brick wall* ..Can't Get Evil Theme Song out of my head. Why is it that only the most awful songs get stuck in your head, i'd be much better if it was something i liked :(

I noticed that lately on the yu yu hakusho episodes at the start of the episode they show the last minutes of the last episode shown with different lines. Why change the dialogue? Its been troubling me.

If they get out some more yyh box sets before my birthday i'm going to get them :D

Baby Rollo
May 2nd, 2003, 09:10 PM
That song is nice. Has a great beat to it. Don't know why you guys hate this stuff.

Darkhood_343
May 2nd, 2003, 09:24 PM
[soldiers voice] Dragon Ball GT! Dragon Ball GT! [soldiers voice/] *shudders* That was horrible. How can you like it Rollo?

LadyBeelze
May 2nd, 2003, 09:32 PM
*chokes* Rollo..you must be tone deaf :eek:

Darkhood_343
May 2nd, 2003, 09:40 PM
Tone death? Odd... I don't get it.

Martin the Warrior
May 3rd, 2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by LadyBeelzebumon
I noticed that lately on the yu yu hakusho episodes at the start of the episode they show the last minutes of the last episode shown with different lines. Why change the dialogue? Its been troubling me.

That's rather common in shows, actually, and isn't restricted to dubs alone. Not sure if that's the case with YYH, but it's not unusual.

LadyBeelze
May 3rd, 2003, 09:41 PM
That's rather common in shows, actually, and isn't restricted to dubs alone. Not sure if that's the case with YYH, but it's not unusual.

I guess :/

I bought spirited away finally today, i love that movie ^^*

Darkhood_343
May 5th, 2003, 10:34 AM
Beezl
[I bought spirited away finally today, i love that movie ^^*
*cant wait to get his copy* Oh, and it's a little odd, but there still showing it in theaters over here... weird.

LadyBeelze
May 16th, 2003, 04:59 PM
They showed the opening theme song on yu yu hakusho yesterday....odd..

MoonShadow
May 16th, 2003, 08:35 PM
Just to tell you, Beelz, and also practically the "rest" of the forum, new Inuyashy eppies will be starting in the SUMMER. Long wait, maybe.

And for those of you who are interested, Shaman King will start airing on FoxBox this September, dubbed by 4Kids. I definitely hope that they won't put the location of Shaman King in America, and give out bad voice actors (I'll be especially mad if Ren has a strong Chinese accent. If he does, then how the heck are they supposed to make him sound like a maniac-ish freaky-eyed person?)

Yes, and the showing of the opening theme was odd... it wasn't even the right one. It was supposed to be different.....

Martin the Warrior
May 16th, 2003, 08:48 PM
Speaking of new episodes, Rurouni Kenshin will begin air the Kyoto Arc on June 9th, or so I'm told.

MoonShadow
And for those of you who are interested, Shaman King will start airing on FoxBox this September, dubbed by 4Kids. I definitely hope that they won't put the location of Shaman King in America, and give out bad voice actors (I'll be especially mad if Ren has a strong Chinese accent. If he does, then how the heck are they supposed to make him sound like a maniac-ish freaky-eyed person?)

I can only assume you haven't heard the specifics. The Shaman King dub will be handled internally by 4Kids and it's the same team responsible for the dub of Yu-Gi-Oh! I wouldn't get my hopes up for a good dub or even an uncut Japanese track on the DVD. The silver lining is the SK is only a 50-some episode series to begin with, so they can't go very far with it.

Darkhood_343
May 17th, 2003, 03:26 PM
Moon-moon
(I'll be especially mad if Ren has a strong Chinese accent. If he does, then how the heck are they supposed to make him sound like a maniac-ish freaky-eyed person?)
Good question. :D Anyway, that's good news, but if they screw up the dub... then I'll... *camera cuts away*

LadyBeelze
May 17th, 2003, 06:10 PM
Cool, a shaman king dub :) But if its by the same team that dubbed yu-gi-oh i'm not so sure i'll be watching it. I mean i've stopped watching the yu-gi-oh dub because i can't stand it. And i don't really like the foxbox either, i haven't watched any show on fox since they dropped digimon. Anyhow *plans to watch the original eps when the dub airs to see exactly what they do*

Its really ????ed me off that they're keeping off the new inuyasha episodes for so long. Why is cartoon network dropping the series after episode 52 anyway? Thats so lame..

:last scene in episode 52:
Inuyasha: You don't have to force yourself to come near me *talking to kagome*
Inuyasha: What is it!
Inuyasha: You're acting as if something's wrong!
Inuyasha: I'm sorry, but i don't give a .... about what i did!
Kagome: Inuyasha..
Kagome: {Its painful isn't it}
Kagome: Inuyasha..
Kagome: I Understand.
Inuyasha: Kagome..
Inuyasha: {I can't renember what i did when i was transformed}
Inuyasha: {That didn't happen before}
Inuyasha: {The next time i transform}
Inuyasha:{ .. my claws}
Inuyasha: {they may rip you apart as well, kagome}
::end of episode::

June 9th for the kenshin epies..i think i can wait..that long..maybe..maybe not

:rolleyes:

Martin the Warrior
May 17th, 2003, 07:00 PM
If I had to guess, probably because not many episodes after that have been dubbed yet. ;) It's the same reason more episodes of Lupin III haven't aired yet-- they want a sizeable library of new episodes before they begin airing them.

LadyBeelze
May 22nd, 2003, 03:53 PM
When is cartoon network going to get out the second boxed set for yu yu hakusho? I was thinking of asking for yu yu hakusho dvds for my b-day but i don't want to buy them seperatly because it costs too much, box sets are much cheaper :(

Darkhood_343
May 22nd, 2003, 08:13 PM
Wadda ys mean Cartoon Network? You mean the site? Otherwise, I don't know. Anyway, I saw that one ep of Kenshin today, the one with the weird animation. I'll ask agian, what the heck was up with that?

LadyBeelze
May 23rd, 2003, 02:52 PM
I guess another yyh boxed set isn't coming for a while, oh well.

Anyway, I saw that one ep of Kenshin today, the one with the weird animation. I'll ask agian, what the heck was up with that?

i don't know, i haven't been watching rurouni kenshin since they started the reruns :/

Martin the Warrior
May 25th, 2003, 12:05 AM
Beelze
When is cartoon network going to get out the second boxed set for yu yu hakusho?

It's not Cartoon Network's job, it's FUNimation's. As for when, probably when they finish releasing all of the individual Dark Tournament DVDs. Seeing as how the first set contained the entire Spirit Detective arc, odds are the second will contain the entire Dark Tournament arc and there's little point in releasing an arc in boxed set form without the closing act. The individual releases will hit where CN left off in July, so I'd say the earliest you could expect the next boxed set is October, maybe September.

Darkhood
I'll ask agian, what the heck was up with that?

The train episode, I'll assume. It was a filler episode and the animation itself was handled by a secondary studio rather than the core one. Mad House, I believe, but I'd have to check.

LadyBeelze
May 25th, 2003, 09:27 AM
oh okay, i see now martin. *sigh* I guess i'll just have to be patient and wait till later this year.

Missed .hack//sign again last night, i think i might have more luck just buying the dvds as they come out then trying to renember to watch it every staurday night.

MoonShadow
May 25th, 2003, 12:48 PM
Yesterday night's .hack//SIGN episode was pretty cool.... It's sort of like a big part of the story.... (Sorry if this makes you feel any worse about missing it...)

What happened was that Bear, BT, Crim, Sora, and basically everybody else, including Tsukasa, are searching for where an "eye" opens, along with the Key of the Twilight. The whole episode was centered around finding a hidden server that was leftover and forgotten from The World's many upgrades. In the end, BT manages to open an eye in that lone castle place where Tsukasa sometimes hangs out alone. After the eye was opened, a bridge appeared, and on that bridge appeared a Chaos Gate....

Martin the Warrior
May 25th, 2003, 02:44 PM
If you've missed a single episode of .hack, then quit watching. They're too important. Wait for repeats or buy the DVDs (which are on a bi-monthly release schedule). The past two weeks have been rather important so I don't advise skipping them.

MoonShadow
What happened was that Bear, BT, Crim, Sora, and basically everybody else, including Tsukasa, are searching for where an "eye" opens, along with the Key of the Twilight. The whole episode was centered around finding a hidden server that was leftover and forgotten from The World's many upgrades. In the end, BT manages to open an eye in that lone castle place where Tsukasa sometimes hangs out alone. After the eye was opened, a bridge appeared, and on that bridge appeared a Chaos Gate....

A red Chaos Gate, at that. ;)

Interesting tidbit, BTW-- that field ("Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground"-- the lone cathedral) is accessible in the .hack video games. There are a few notable changes, however: the sky is sunny and at the back of the cathedral there is a statue of the sleeping girl (Aura) wrapped in chains with a poem with the names "Skeith", "Innis", and "Magus" engraved below her (all of which are very significant in the games, one of which will be significant in the series).

The woman in white, Helba, is also very prominent in the games.

In .hack//MUTATION (the second game), going to Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground unlocks four in-game recreations of .hack//SIGN scenes and you'll even bump into both Mimiru and A-20 (as well as seeing a post by Bear on the Board).

Just a few of the connections present.

But, in any case, do not skip episodes. That's what the vets drive home and based on what I've seen there's a reason. If you need to wait for the DVDs (which should finish in January), then do so. It'll make the series more enjoyable. No sense spoiling a good mystery. ;)

MoonShadow
May 25th, 2003, 08:41 PM
I missed episode 6, and I wasn't really lost... However, I don't know what the heck I'm going to do this summer, since I'll be missing a considerable amount of Saturdays.... Eh, might as well buy the DVDs too....

LadyBeelze
May 25th, 2003, 08:52 PM

ack! i want to watch it more now that i read that. I couldn't because one of the tv's cable snapped in half so i can't watch anything on it till after tuesday because of memorial day and the other tv was occupied by my parents at the time. I've missed ..i think 4-5 episodes of .hack//sign so far :(

LadyBeelze
June 4th, 2003, 08:31 PM
My mom gave me a rurouni kenshin dvd for my b-day, i think the volume title was "Shadow Of The Wolf" that had episodes 28-31. OMG i loved the fight with saito (sp?) and kenshin. They were fighting so quick at one point it was hard to keep up with the movements. Also it wasn't edited ..i noticed that when blood gushed around everywhere in battles and stuff. Plus the opening and ending theme songs where pretty nice. But why is it on toonami that they show scenes from the opening theme on the ending? I also liked playing around with the japanse w/ english subtitles...loved the japanese voices ^^ Okay i'll stop gabbering here...hmph

Yesterday i enjoyed watching the 1st inuyasha movie, the animation is so weird..different from normal in the series but then again every anime movie i watched has a different animation from the series. *points to her sig* Scawy kagome

LadyBeelze
June 4th, 2003, 09:35 PM
I was going to edit my other post but the 1 hour limit is up. meh

Anyway i got two rurouni kenshin questions, one is concerning the new episodes returning next monday, how much are they going to show through before starting at reruns again? And second is in episode 30 after the battle with saito and kenshin ends kenshin punches himself in the face...WHATS UP WITH THAT?

Martin the Warrior
June 5th, 2003, 08:08 PM
Beelze
i think the volume title was "Shadow Of The Wolf" that had episodes 28-31.

It's volume seven, the first of the Kyoto Arc, and contains the four episodes I described earlier in this thread as my "favorites". ;)

Also it wasn't edited

None of the DVDs are.

But why is it on toonami that they show scenes from the opening theme on the ending?

Because it gave them better footage to work with. It's not at all uncommon-- Gundam Wing did it a lot, the original DBZ closing was from the Cha-La Head Cha-La opening, etc. Japanese end titles are traditionally ninety seconds long, whereas American ones are a third of that. To accomodate that switch, they pick out thirty seconds of the song and run it with some edited together footage to create an interesting, sometimes dynamic, ending.

The closing song, "Heart of Sword", is actually the third closing song and only debuted with the first episode on that disc. It'll run for seven more episodes after the last one on that disc before it's replaced by a new song (4th Avenue Cafe, I believe is its title), which itself will be pulled after only four episodes and "Heart of Sword" will be used again with the new animation. It, itself, will be pulled after a few more episodes and replaced with the new closing, "It's Gonna Rain", which will take us through to the end of the Kyoto Arc and the first four episodes of the Meiji Arc. After that, we'll have the ending theme "1/3".

how much are they going to show through before starting at reruns again?

No one knows. The schedule hasn't been posted that far ahead-- for now, I think you'll be getting a nice-sized batch of Kyoto episodes.

And second is in episode 30 after the battle with saito and kenshin ends kenshin punches himself in the face...WHATS UP WITH THAT?

It was necessary to shock himself out of his Battousai mindset and return being a rurouni. Notice the change in eye-color? ;)

LadyBeelze
June 6th, 2003, 11:05 AM
thanks for the info martin, appreciate it. :D

I'm saving up my money to buy the next volume, i only need 12 more dollars. I wish money grew on trees, that'd be nice.

Lyrian Aryns
June 6th, 2003, 07:01 PM
You know, I kept meaning to reply to this thread earlier, but I never got around to it... :\

But anyways, I guess subtitles really aren't that bad... though I must say that yellow is a really dumb color for people to use, with its annoying tendency to blend in. Like with Spirited Away, the early scenes in the car just drove me nuts. I have horrible vision, anyway, though, so that's probably part of the problem... still, I don't see why they insist on yellow.
I like the people who did Kenshin, though... nice, easy to read white. And it's bold. And... yes.

Oh, and you know what? Every DVD selling store within a ten mile radius of me collectively possess nearly every single anime title under the sun... EXCEPT Rurouni Kenshin. I swear, it's a conspiracy.
I've been trying to pursuade my mom to let me get some of the Kyoto arc on DVD from Amazon since CN was evil and restarted Kenshin, but I've had no luck. It's kinda pointless now since they're going to be airing on Monday, but I'd kinda like to see them uncut... Ah, well.

Martin the Warrior
June 6th, 2003, 07:57 PM
Yellow is the common choice for most subbers because it's an unobtrusive color, easy on the eyes, and has the best chance of standing out against most colors. White is the secondary choice, which is becoming more common but still nowhere near as universal as yellow. Both work rather well, but it's the outline that makes or breaks subs. Subtitles (white or yellow) with very thin outlines are murder to see in very light scenes, such as against a blue sky, desert, or snow covered landscape. If they've got a thick black border, no problem either way. If it's not too pronounced, though, then you've got a problem.

Kenshin, however, was never a problem, although you'll probably be disappointed to learn that they switched to yellow with volume #7 and never went back. The only anime DVDs I know that have kept white subtitles are FUNimation's releases (Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, specifically, although I'd imagine Yu Yu Hakusho, Fruits Baskets, Blue Gender, and the Lupin the 3rd movies are the same).

Lyrian
Oh, and you know what? Every DVD selling store within a ten mile radius of me collectively possess nearly every single anime title under the sun... EXCEPT Rurouni Kenshin. I swear, it's a conspiracy.

You might want to put in a reservation, actually. The downside to having Kenshin on Cartoon Network is that now everyone is looking for it and thus most stores are exhausting their stock. I had to have the next few discs special ordered once it premiered and a subsequent visit to pick up the OVAs showed that not one Kyoto disc was in stock (I was thankfully done with it at that point. ;)). The reason? 95% of episode talkbacks have consisted of "This is nothing! Wait till you hit the Kyoto Arc!" "The series isn't worth watching until Kyoto." "Kyoto is awesome!" So, it may not be that they don't carry it so much as they're sold out. Of course, ordering from Amazon is a safe bet. ;)

Anyone wishing to jump ahead to the Kyoto discs (I always advise people progress through the series chronologically, so naturally I don't suggest skipping the first six discs, but it's your money), the volume order is:
[list=1]
Shadow of the Wolf
Ice Blue Eyes
Heart of the Sword
Between Life and Death
Faces of Evil
Blind Justice
Innocence and Experience
Fire Requiem
[/list=1]

LadyBeelze
June 6th, 2003, 08:24 PM
I thought the yellow subtitles on volume 7 worked nicely, i could see what they were saying without straining my eyes and missing the action. But i'm pretty used to white subtitles with the ocassional yellow for when a person is thinking but not speaking out loud if y'know what i mean. I watched todays episode just to compare it to the unedited version. A-lot of blood was gone when i watched it on toonami, i mean i'm amazed at how they could edit out the broken sword sticking out of sanoske.

Lyrian Aryns
June 6th, 2003, 11:10 PM
Hmm... Well, upon rechecking few things, I guess I need to take back my statement above... You see, .hack was the first anime I'd ever seen subbed, so naturally I had troubles keeping up with what was being said. Then I see Spirited Away, with its truly evil narrow-fonted thinly outlined subtitles, and since they both used yellow, I put two and two together and got seven. :p I guess I'm okay with yellow, as long as they're decently bold, and have good outlines, as you said...

LadyBeelze
June 9th, 2003, 06:53 PM
The only thing i seen edited today in episode 29 in kenshin besides one swear word was at the end when the battle begins, they edited out saito stabbing kenshin through with his sword, showing the sword through kenshin's back, a rain of blood pouring out, and saito turing the blade and smiling. If they keep up this rate, tommorows episode with the battle will be very sadly edited indeed. I ordered the next volume off amazon, so i'm happy.

LadyBeelze
June 10th, 2003, 06:52 PM
they butchered the battle in rurouni kenshin. And why did they show saito stabbing kenshin (still edited though) when they skipped it in the last episode. Another annoying thing is on far away shots of kenshin and saito you could see blood on their faces but close up it was clean. i like whining yes.. meh

Baby Rollo
June 12th, 2003, 09:14 PM
The summary in SJ barely covers the first episode, so you'll have a lot to look forward to and plenty of surprises. The Kyoto arc (which I'm currently in the middle of) has been incredible with some outstanding scenes. It'll be interesting to see how CN handles it.

Yeah, really interesting how CN handles all the blood and gore. Really sick stuff in some episodes.

Um, there are some spoilers so don't read ahead if you don't want to be spoiled

I saw episodes 36-38, 48, and 55 subbed.
Really brutal stuff in those episodes. I wonder how CN will edit the hanging bodies of Eiji's parents. Those were really powerful scenes. And the death of the orphans in episode 48. And Anji crushing the man's skull and all those shots of blood splattering in the fight between Sanosuke and Anji. Episode 55 which Soujiro's past will be hard to edit as well. With the police officer getting sliced in half down the middle by Shishio. And Soujiro's beatings by his adopted family. Then he kills them all with Shishio's katana.

Yep, CN has a lot on its hand editing those episodes. Hope they don't butcher the whole Kyoto Arc by removing certain scenes which I think are powerful and relevant to the plot.

LadyBeelze
June 12th, 2003, 10:09 PM
Where did you get those episodes, rollo?

Anyway i haven't seen episode 32 unedited but i think cartoon network is being a little more easy on the cesnors since they actually showed blood where sansoke's wound is and a trickle of blood going down his mouth. But seriously how harmful is animated gore to a child, its just a cartoon afterall.

LadyBeelze
June 13th, 2003, 06:11 PM
*gasps* My whole day is ruined now! I was browsing a rurouni kenshin topic in another forum and i heard a spoiler to what happens at the end in a ova or something. *wheeps*

The person said that kenshin dies in karou's hands..Is That True?

MoonShadow
June 13th, 2003, 07:31 PM
Well, yeah, unfortunately, that's true. I forgot how I found that out, but I did, and know, I live the portion of my life concerning Rk telling myself that the second OVA was all a lie. :P Anyway, the mangaka of RK likes happy endings anyway, and he didn't make that ending.

Martin the Warrior
June 14th, 2003, 09:12 PM
Rollo
Really brutal stuff in those episodes.

Eh, not really. Nothing CN hasn't dealt with before. (spoiler box is there for a reason, guys.)

I wonder how CN will edit the hanging bodies of Eiji's parents. Blood will be digitally painted over, but I doubt they'll remove them.

And the death of the orphans in episode 48. As the terror is psychological, not graphic, I once more doubt they'll do anything. They may remove the scene of them calling for help, but that's as far as I think they'd go.

And Anji crushing the man's skull Time cut so you only see Anji's hands pushed together. Blood digitally removed.

all those shots of blood splattering in the fight between Sanosuke and Anji. Some painted over, some left in.

Episode 55 which Soujiro's past will be hard to edit as well. Not in the slightest. ;)

With the police officer getting sliced in half down the middle by Shishio. Probably won't be cut out. Only blood will be removed.

And Soujiro's beatings by his adopted family. Untouched or time cuts around it so you only miss the seconds the blows connect.

Then he kills them all with Shishio's katana. Blood will be edited, but that's it.

Hope they don't butcher the whole Kyoto Arc by removing certain scenes which I think are powerful and relevant to the plot.

CN hasn't "butchered" a thing. The integrity of the plot will remain, based on what I've seen, and nothing relevant to the plot will be cut out.

Beelze
But seriously how harmful is animated gore to a child, its just a cartoon afterall.

You're asking the wrong question. The question is, "How much damage can angry parents do?" But, remember: it's just blood. Nothing is added by it being there, nothing is lost by taking it out. If you want uncut, quit watching CN and buy the DVDs. It's pointless to get worked up over edits, trust me. ;)

*gasps* My whole day is ruined now! I was browsing a rurouni kenshin topic in another forum and i heard a spoiler to what happens at the end in a ova or something. *wheeps*

I've told people to avoid any Kenshin sites/boards. :rolleyes:

MoonShadow
Anyway, the mangaka of RK likes happy endings anyway, and he didn't make that ending.

I'm unfamiliar with the term "mangaka", but I'll assume you mean the author. While it's true he wasn't involved with the second OVA, he's very pleased with the work that studio has done with the OVAs, he liked the second OVA, and would like that studio (rather than the TV series one) to handle the adaptation of the Jinchuu Arc, if it's ever animated in the future.

In any case, the ending of the manga wasn't exactly upbeat itself, although it was the natural progression of things.

LadyBeelze
June 15th, 2003, 09:48 AM
I'd continue buying rk dvds but i don't have the money. I liked the girl at the end of the rk episode on friday, i thought she looked like karou at first lol.

I finally got to sit down and watch .hack//sign. I feel like i missed something important since they kept refering to this scene with an old man and stuff plus i didn't get how tsukasa lost some of his memory. meh..the last episode i saw was the one titled party i think so its been a while.

I was also amused at seeing a inuyasha commercial for some reason. Inuyasha's voice sounded so weird, i've become so acustomed to the japanese voice, and since i haven't watched inuyasha on adult swim since march. :p

Also what caught my eye is a commercial for a weird show that started with a k. that had a guy wearing goggles :D

Goozy
June 15th, 2003, 08:24 PM
Well, yeah, unfortunately, that's true. I forgot how I found that out, but I did, and know, I live the portion of my life concerning Rk telling myself that the second OVA was all a lie. :P Anyway, the mangaka of RK likes happy endings anyway, and he didn't make that ending.

Well.. there's always the manga.

Darkhood_343
June 15th, 2003, 09:25 PM
Beezl
The person said that kenshin dies in karou's hands..Is That True?

A spoiler quote. :p

*whistles* Do Do Do. What do you expect a human to do? Live forever, Beezl? Seriously though, that's kinda what I heard. I'm just kinda glad it was confirmed.

LadyBeelze
June 16th, 2003, 01:39 PM
A spolier quote! (*lol*) Yeah i guess but still i was a little upset when i read that.

It seems they're delaying the new inuyasha episodes even more, now the schedule date is August 25th! Freak! Anyway a anime i've watched a couple episodes of is going to adult swim on August 4th, Blue Gender. But what happened, cowboy bebop and trigun where taken off adult swim recently :(

Baby Rollo
June 16th, 2003, 02:39 PM
They did remove the impact and exit wounds and the blood during the episode where the Oniwaban group died. And Sanosuke's hand bleeding after grabbing the dagger that Megumi was going to use to stab herself.

Darkhood_343
June 16th, 2003, 06:53 PM
Blue Gender? Kewl. But not. I hate staying up late. And recording. It gets to be a hassle. On Kenshin, why wouldn't they allow blood? Look at DBZ. Um... blood. Everywhere. On faces, being wiped off. And on wounds. Also, they do broken limbs. Don' know why they wouldn't show it on Kenshin.

LadyBeelze
June 16th, 2003, 07:03 PM
I guess because the blood on kenshin is a bit more disturbing than that you find on dbz.

Darkhood_343
June 16th, 2003, 07:07 PM
Well, which do you find more disturbing? Being kicked in the leg and having your leg broken, and then kicked in the face, only to bleed, or getting slashed on the arm or chest?

LadyBeelze
June 16th, 2003, 07:13 PM
I see your point but things like in episode 30 when saito be-heads a guy with his sword and seeing his decapated head surounded by mas blood is something too. I don't know what cartoon network is thinking, go figure. feh

Darkhood_343
June 16th, 2003, 07:30 PM
Well, would they show be-heading and blood like that on DBZ? Of course not. Though, now that I think about it, there were some decapatations in DBZ that weren't edited except for blood, if there was any. Akira Toriyama's weird. Or at least his drawing style is.

LadyBeelze
June 18th, 2003, 10:28 AM
migumi - fox karou - racoon lisall(sp?) - weasel LOL :lol:

Martin the Warrior
June 18th, 2003, 02:32 PM
It's Misao, actually.

Martin the Warrior
June 18th, 2003, 02:35 PM
Annnnd.... here we go. Since this thread has grown rather long (this should be reply #200) and since the original subjects (end of DBZ, Yu Yu's move, and Kenshin's premiere) have run their course, I'm locking it. For further discussion either start a new general anime thread or a series specific one.