PDA

View Full Version : The best moments

chupacabra
November 24th, 2005, 09:51 PM
what do you consider to be the best monets in the series? Happiest , scariest, most tragedic, the most saddest ones? I like the series so much every moment is the best. I can't tell about the best. I can't tell about the happiest since there is so many. Saddest moments for me are when the vermin die. The most tragedic for me was in Triss when the three-headed snake scares the Skipper of the otters. Most scariest to me was when the Skipper's niece in Rakattey Tam is introduced and starts to laugh. HOOOOOOOOOOOO! HElp! Yikes! I fell off my chair in fright.

matthias_fan
November 24th, 2005, 10:00 PM
My favorite part is in Mattimeo when Matthias runs at the cart that he thought was Slagar's (remember) and yells Redwall and the scariest part would be when the boat was broken in half in The Legend of Luke (part 2.) That really freaked me out. I haven't read the whole series yet so I could think that something was alot freakyer but so far its just been that. :hon:

Folgrimeo
November 25th, 2005, 03:03 AM
Best moments for me, in order:

1 (Sad, The Long Patrol):
Russa Nodrey's death. She was an awesome character, I saw her death as unexpected. At first I was relieved along with Tammo when she was seen still breathing, but when I read that Russa's eyes were starting to cloud over, I knew she wasn't going to make it. Even in her final moments she was in great form, telling Tammo that he didn't necessarily have to be part of the Long Patrol, telling Tammo to stop soaking her in tears, and saying there were still other vast lands she hoped to travel. As I later found out, the death of Russa was also the death of the book for me. It just all went downhill after Russa left.

2 (Sad, The Bellmaker):
Blaggut returning the chalice and asking for death. Actually, it was the entire chapter in which it occurred. Blaggut had just become aware of Slipp's evil nature, which surprised and worried me because I didn't think Blaggut would be smart enough to realize his entire life was being ruined by associating with Slipp. Seeing Blaggut as a total wreck was very sad, believing he was beyond redemption, along with his haunting memory of the Dibbuns screaming and the blind mouse oblivious to what was going on. Sent me to crying. Both Blaggut and Slipp were at extremes here, Slipp being merciless in his beating of Blaggut. After Blaggut thankfully reaches the point where he stands up for himself and kills Slipp, I lost it when he returned the chalice and said he was ready to be killed. For some reason, at that point I didn't know whether Blaggut would live, and thought that if he should die, so be it since he's vermin (first reason that came to mind on why his life should have been spared was that he recently discovered his talent at making boats). I completely lost it as Blaggut stood ready for his sentence. As I should have expected, Blaggut lived. It was nice to see him return a couple times later.

I'll say that I found Slipp and Blaggut to be the most entertaining part of The Bellmaker, for their conflicts, of Blaggut constantly annoying Slipp. While it was fun to watch Slipp make up excuses to disguise what he was trying to do (boy, proving you're a cook and Blaggut's a boat-maker, I'd like to see how you could pull that off), Slipp's failed cooking being especially fun since it sounds like Slipp made an honest effort, it was Blaggut's boat-making that I actually cheered for. Whenever I slogged through another few chapters of the book (yeah, slog, I didn't care for Mariel or Dandin) and felt like putting it down, I'd see Blaggut on the next page and think "Oh, I've GOT to read this first!" Second most entertaining part of the book would be Finnbarr and Hon Rosie.

3 (Awesome, Taggerung)
Okay, so Cregga passed away with a touching dream sequence, and Deyna returned home. Could it get any better? The introduction of Ruggan Bor wowed me again. His calm, piercing behavior was amazing, and he looked stunning ("dashing" was the word I used) in the picture of him standing before the Abbey. As a result, Ruggan Bor's my favorite villain in the entire series because he always had a straight face, never excited or furious, and he could always force the truth out of someone, thinking of a situation from every angle to expose any flaws in someone's explanation.

4 (Sad, Martin the Warrior)
The ending. At first I thought Martin somehow passed out and died (don't ask me how, I wasn't thinking of Mossflower existing at the time, that's how much I was into this book), so at first I was relieved to see that Martin had lived through it. But then when I saw him catatonic, I immediately realized... it was Rose that didn't make it. I knew that Martin must have been having a hard time dealing with Rose's death. To see Martin in that state of so much emotional pain. And then as he walked away alone, I just felt like I wanted to hug him or something, anything to make him feel a little better.

As excellent an ending as this was, I think the ending to the Redwall cartoon Series 3 did even better. Not only did I realize Martin walked away during the winter (geez, death of a close friend and cold feet. In the book I thought he left during the spring), but Rose's singing in the background brought it to a whole new level. Eery since it was like dead Rose singing, sort of a ghastly tone (it echoed a bit too), though also beautiful. I also thought it was a bit ironic, as the song basically mentioned returning to Noonvale, though Martin knew he could never do that. His best friend, his plan of henceforth living peacefully in the most beautiful place he had ever known (I still think Noonvale's better-looking than the Abbey), all gone. When I first saw the video clip of this ending at Redwall.tv (I can't thank them enough for several video clips from the season I was most interested in seeing, AND having the ending too), I was in disbelief. I thought it'd be excellent if it was the ending, then later I found out it was. Oh, and that picture of Martin holding Rose? For some reason I didn't think it was Rose, I thought it was Martin. Again, once I realized who it was, all new level of respect.

I'd be inclined to rate this higher, but I didn't physically cry during the ending (came closer than the others though). The top two Sad moments I've listed I did cry on.

5 (Funny, The Legend of Luke)
Beauclaire keeps yakking away, and at one point Vurg says "You didn't say wot wot." I thought it was hilarious, and an excellent line because I always did wonder why hares had that quirk. It was a setup to quickly degenerate into another amusing argument between the two.

6 (Empathy, Redwall)
Matthias standing before the tapestry of Martin the Warrior, and Cornflower's brief talk with him. What I mean to say by "empathy" is that I was immersed to the point that I really felt what the characters were feeling at the time, right down to the touch of the cold stone floor beneath Matthias's feet, the emotion of shame and awe looking up at the tapestry of Martin the Warrior, and even the fuzzy feeling when Cornflower walked up to Matthias. It was well written and I also liked Matthias's line thanking Martin for speaking to him through Cornflower, it seemed to me as a hint of the culture at the Abbey. Er, more religious side of it anyway.

I will say this. Redwall remains in my opinion the most vivid and immersive of the series. Probably since it was so new to me at the time (since then, Martin talking to every warrior has become expected and much less magical. Eh, he was better alive when he was with Rose anyway).

7 (Ironic, Marlfox)
I really don't know how else to say it, except I thought it was a great moment for it. Lantur's going ahead with Queen Silth's funeral, wearing a wooden mask. Probably part of the ritual. At first it seemed strange to be watching a funeral for and by an evil creature. I did feel for Silth, though probably more in the thought that I don't think the ritual could have possibly been honorable for her. Then there's Lantur, who by right would be smiling under that mask, so it made the whole moment morbid. I knew I shouldn't have been smiling with her, I was fighting that back, but this irony just made her appear a lot more evil (and more admirable). The final straw was when she "shyly" accepted her new position as Queen. I imagined her with a sly grin on her face, looking for all the world like the Devil. I know it was so wrong, but it was also so great.

Tesra
November 25th, 2005, 03:56 AM
The end of Malkaris (Mattimeo), when slaves threw stones on him, made me strangely both pretty horrified and satisfied.
The end of Martin the Warrior is indeed very sad, more than any other end I feel.
I laughed a lot when the little children of the Abbey (don't know the name in English) came in the top of ramparts, in Marlfox, to cut the ropes the vermin grapped on the walls, with their kitchen's knives. :D Big deal !!!!

Ember Nickel
November 25th, 2005, 09:33 AM
The end of Martin the Warrior is indeed very sad, more than any other end I feel.
Yup.

...little children of the Abbey (don't know the name in English) "Dibbuns". What's the French name?

Best moment: (Mossflower, Outcast)The end of Mossflower was phenomenal for me: hands-down the best chapter in any Redwall book, if not the best ending of any book. Part of my neuroticism is the firm belief that "well, there's always a theoretical chance" and to see it confirmed like that, Sunflash living, was awesome. Then its reappearance in Outcast? Yeah.

Barkstripe
November 25th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Whoa Folgrimio. LOOOONG post. That's like Cuisadio RPing.(if you read this cuisadio, i'm not makin' fun of you).

Funniest part for me was when Blaggut makes the two dibbuns swear. They are like "we no swear. s'not nice" and the whole oath thing. "We take this Oaf"..

P.S. Before i get eaten alive for my spelling i'm having a bad day.

RockJaw_Grang
November 25th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Hm Best Redwall
When Mattias drops the bell on Cluny's head it hilarious.:lol:

Saddest part The Bellmaker...

Mother Mellus Dieing it was horrible:( .

Well that's it for me for now.

Badrang3
November 25th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Redwall: When Cluny's army finally enter the Abbey. Everytime I read that moment, I picture the 9th symphony playing in the background.

Salamandastron: One of the saddest moments in the series is when Dingeye and Thura run away from the Abbey, since it really wasn't their fault anyway, and just the idea that no one will ever know the truth kind of depresses me.

Outcast: I liked at the end that after all their years of searching, Swartt and Sunflash finally fight each other.

Rakkety Tam: The final fight to the death between Tam and Gulo. They both seem to have respect for one another, and you knew niether of them would back down. One of the best fights in my opinion.

Josiah the Warrior
November 25th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Tsarmina v Martin fight scene. Fo' shizzle.

Bladeswift
November 25th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Felldoh in Martin the Warrior humilitating Badrang in front of his own forces.

Edit: Oh, and the opening of the battle in the The Long Patrol.

Lonna Bowstripe
November 25th, 2005, 06:40 PM
When Tagg returns to Redwall. I always hear the victory theme of LOTR playing.

Storm Swiftblade
November 25th, 2005, 11:17 PM
This part in the The Outcast of Redwall always makes me cry:
What Bradberry says when Fordoetal dies : "Why do creatures have to have wars and kill one another? Why can't everybeast live in peace and be contented? I was just thinkin' before you came sire, Fordpetal won't ever see another summer day or laugh an' smile again. Why?" That always makes me cry!

Tesra
November 26th, 2005, 05:17 AM
Yup.
"Dibbuns". What's the French name?

^^:D :D
"Bout d'Chou". It is only used for little children, and it's pretty cute. ;)

Constance2
November 26th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Long Patrol

when Furgale is killed. He was the jolly type, I really liked him.

Taggerung

Rillflag's death was kinda dissapointing. A proud otter dad, who gets a baby but doensn't get to see him grow up. The same for Mhera and Filorn.

Folgrimeo
November 26th, 2005, 07:27 PM
Taggerung

Rillflag's death was kinda dissapointing. A proud otter dad, who gets a baby but doensn't get to see him grow up. The same for Mhera and Filorn.

I agree. Out of the blue there, and the feeling escalated when I saw the great cover for the audiobook (or radio play) of Taggerung, which shows Rillflag in the river with Deyna... with vermin hiding behind rocks just behind him.
By the way, great signature. Yeah, nobeast can guard food like the hares. Of course, they'll make sure no one gets to the food by scoffing it down first, but that's a technicality.