PDA

View Full Version : Namedays and Seasons

Cornflower
November 30th, 2005, 09:45 PM
I don't know if it's just me, but I've been noticing that in the newer Redwall books, Namedays aren't really being mentioned anymore. You never hear of the titles of the seasons either. I wonder why BJ doesn't really put those things in the books now, since Nameday always seemed like such an important part of Redwall in the earlier books.

RockJaw_Grang
December 1st, 2005, 08:51 AM
Yeah know now that I am thing about it your right there hasn't been much mention of namedays feasts or anything ( Unless its just me) Hm I wonder that's going on? maybe he just decided to try something else?

Swordmaster
December 1st, 2005, 10:57 AM
I think the Nameday was just during the late Sextus era of Redwall (I'm splitting it into eras now: pre-Redwall\anarchic, Foundings, Mariel\Sextus, Mainline\Matthias\present.) It might have also just been an experiment on Jacques' part. He didn't like it, so he got rid of the Namedays. But the names of the seasons should have stayed, I agree with that.

chupacabra
December 3rd, 2005, 09:53 PM
maybe he forgot. Or wasn't payattention. I wonder if Vermin celebrate nameday.

Folgrimeo
December 4th, 2005, 12:33 AM
Or maybe the Abbots and Abbesses have a new policy where they don't give out namedays during feasts. Or the book conveniently never goes to the Abbey at the exact moment a nameday is given out.

While the namedays might have been a sort of trivial dialogue to enhance believability, I never saw the namedays as having much importance (never really stuck in my mind like the other trivial dialogue throughout), so I don't miss them. Probably because I didn't even notice they were gone. I started to zone out at feasts about five books ago.

Well, regardless whether vermin celebrate nameday (which we'll never know from the books because... well, they never have feasts or defeat Redwall), I'll sure there will be some fanfiction with vermin holidays. Er, namedays. Winter of the Slain Rat Who Didn't Give Me a Spear When Ordered To.