PDA

View Full Version : Hullo...

Nora the Rover
February 23rd, 2003, 09:13 PM
Erm...ookay...
I'm new here, although I'm at a few other forums around the ROC. Just saying hi...

LadyBeelze
February 23rd, 2003, 09:23 PM
Hey, welcome to the long patrol forums! *i do so love more new people :D * I'm a riverdog if you didn't already know, me names rosestone but i go by Ladybeelzebumon. Hope you stay here, oh and the only peice of advice i got is avoid air's one pan of doom......it hurts VV and don't mention the evil seal language *shudder*

Airemia
February 23rd, 2003, 09:45 PM
Welcome to the forum, Nora! I hope you enjoy your stayyyyyyyy! Don't worry, we really are as insane as we look. And I see that people are already spreading terrible lies about me! I don't have a Frying Pan of Doom! And if I did, I certainly wouldn't smite people with it. Mwahaha... Mwahahahaha... MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! :)

Furrtil
February 24th, 2003, 12:09 AM
Welcome to the nuthouse! (Shouldn't nuthouse be prounounced nuh-thows?) I'm Furrtil, da moleymaid, and I hang around here sometimes. :D Actually, I should hang around here more, maybe I will, IT'S FEBRUARY VACATION! WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Lyrian Aryns
February 24th, 2003, 12:20 AM
Hi. I'm Lyrian, the resident... uh... something. I possess nothing of interest, with the exception of a hyper kitten, and far too many unused aliases than is generally expected. And I'm often too lazy or otherwise unable to formulate new and particularly creative quips regarding myself, and so I will refrain from boring you further. ;)

Oh, and, uh... Yano is evil. Yes.

Darkhood_343
February 24th, 2003, 03:56 PM
Lyrian
Oh, and, uh... Yano is evil. Yes.
You forgot Wittley. ;)

Yo. I'm Darkhood. Don't mess with me. Only Moonshadow can do that. And welcome to the Asylum. Enjoy your time here. Your veryshort time here. BWUHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

~Dark~

Nora the Rover
February 24th, 2003, 06:46 PM
Wow, heehee, glad to know I'm not the only insane person here...:D

Airemia
February 24th, 2003, 07:03 PM
Darkhood, stop scaring the newbies! Poor things! *Whacks him repeatedly with the Frying Pan of Doom*

Nora, of course you're not the only insane person here! This forum thrives on insanity! Well, sort of. :D

MoonShadow
February 24th, 2003, 07:04 PM
Yo. I'm Darkhood. Don't mess with me. Only Moonshadow can do that. :cornflow: Yes, I'm the priviledged one here when calling him Darky. Cuz I'm allowed to mess with him, or at least that's what he said. ;)

Anyway, welcome, and we're really not as bad as we sound/look. It's just the typical welcome we give to newcomers. :) (I mean, I got a cake stolen from me the first time I posted, if I remember right. ;))

Yes, Yano is evil. He insults my beautiful poetry! ;) And BTW, I'm the Local Anime Addict who usually spends more than an hour watching animes each day. *rolls eyes at self* And long-haired little dudes are cool. And I'm insane too. Sorta.

dandin1
February 24th, 2003, 07:58 PM
A newbie? Visit the RSE! Visit the RSE! I'll give you money! ;)

I'm dandin. (DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT CALL ME DANDIN1)
Don't mind about those typos and spelling mistakes I.. erm.. ocasionally do.

And don't get *too* close to Lyrian, you might catch that contagious procratination disease...

And as for Yano, he won't really scare you untill you see him in action... And then there's Wittley ;)

hey... if moonshadow gets to be the Local Anime Addict then I officially self-proclame myself "Local Computer Addict"!

LadyBeelze
February 24th, 2003, 08:19 PM
Air
*Whacks him repeatedly with the Frying Pan of Doom*

Awww poor darky, that frying pan hurts eeep. 0.o

You don't happen to speak the evil seal language do ya nora?

Slagar the Cruel
February 24th, 2003, 08:28 PM
Hello, Nora! Keep on rovin' on! :slagar That's my emoticon. ;)

Despite what some people might tell you, we aren't all that crazy. ;) I wouldn't say that the forum thrives on insanity, though there are enough topics that fall into the category. At it's heart, the forum thrives on insightfulness, fun, and... well... Redwall! :redsy That's Redsie's emoticon. He's a nice guy, as long as you don't steal any of his oreos. So, as I was saying, we're all pretty sane around here. (;))

Martin the Warrior
February 24th, 2003, 08:28 PM
Welcome to the Forum, Nora!

Baby Rollo
February 24th, 2003, 08:43 PM
Yo what up Nora! I'm just your stereotypical African-American bankvole. Werd. Just kidding. I'm just the ancestor of Baby Rollo from Mattimeo. I'm still a baby too, though I'm very smart for my age. I can count to 253 before I get confused.

Airemia
February 24th, 2003, 08:53 PM
I have a theory that Rollo's actually a very intelligent man over the age of seventeen, at least, and is just trying to mess with us. It's not working, Rollo! I've found you out! :p

LadyBeelze
February 24th, 2003, 08:59 PM
i like the idea of a baby bankvole better tho *huggles*

Darkhood_343
February 25th, 2003, 09:32 PM
Moon-moon
And BTW, I'm the Local Anime Addict who usually spends more than an hour watching animes each day. *rolls eyes at self* And long-haired little dudes are cool. And I'm insane too. Sorta.
HEY! I spend at LEAST 2 hours a day wacthing anime. So there. *rubs head, just realizing he just got hit* Ow, that does kinda hurt. Anyway, I am a little short dude with long hair. Or so I think. Just look at my avatar. SEPHY FOREVER!!! And we kinda thrive off of insanity. Just kinda.

LadyBeelze
February 26th, 2003, 08:35 AM
hmmmmm lets see i usually watch one anime episode before i go to school and then after school i watch two more episodes and then i usually pop in the blank tape and watch the whole thing. so i get at least 3 1/2 hours of anime...hmmm i need a life VV

*jumps around some more and then bites her tail on accident* owch

Baby Rollo
February 26th, 2003, 04:52 PM
I spend my day watching only Inuyasha episodes that have never been officially released to the US and old classic t.v. shows like The Adventures of Pete and Pete and the Simpsons episode through my "sources". Plus, I tape Clerks and Undergrads on late-night Comedy Central.

Darkhood_343
February 26th, 2003, 05:10 PM
The last two aren't considered anime. At least not in my eyes.

dandin1
February 26th, 2003, 08:07 PM
One thing we didnt metion. It's happening right now.

off topic-ness

Baby Rollo
February 26th, 2003, 09:18 PM
I never said that they were animes. Plus, you should see the ending of the Clerks episode where Dante goes on trial. It's the best anime spoof that I have ever seen. Those crazy Korean animators with their American cliches.

Slagar the Cruel
February 26th, 2003, 09:22 PM
Must I bring back Yano to keep the spammers in check...? :cool:

;)

Maybe the mallet of anti-spam will suffice. *POW!*

LadyBeelze
February 27th, 2003, 09:10 AM
*gets hit* OUCH! that hurrt *rubs head irrately*

Sry, i will stop going off topic. Oh what the heck i'm off topic as i'm writing this :confused:

Darkhood_343
February 27th, 2003, 04:59 PM
Beezl
Sry, i will stop going off topic. Oh what the heck i'm off topic as i'm writing this
You're starting to get too much like Dandin... stop it. Anyway, to get back on topic, WELCOME EVEN THO I ALREADY SAID IT!!! There. Now were all nice and back on topic.

LadyBeelze
February 27th, 2003, 07:00 PM
You're starting to get too much like Dandin... stop it

thats scary :eek: , i just want to be like me.

on topic:

I hope we haven't scared you away already nora

Nora the Rover
February 27th, 2003, 07:58 PM
I'm used to insane people, I'm on Starfire's forum, and Terrouge's. :cool:

I'm not really fond of Anime; there's only one Anime movie that I really enjoyed, called 'Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind'. It was in Japanese, and had English subtitles. 'Tis my favorite out of all of them. Other than that, I find most of them a waste of time, (No offence to any of you Anime-wackos out there.):D

Martin the Warrior
February 27th, 2003, 10:19 PM
I haven't managed to see the movie version of Nausicaš of the Valley of Wind yet (forever waiting for Disney to release the rest of Miyazaki's movies). I have, however, read the manga. From what I understand, the movie was produced when Miyazaki was ten years shy of actually completing the story, so nearly 3/4 of it didn't make the adaptation. On a whole, it's an outstanding piece of storytelling. I'd highly recommend tracking down the manga (which has been collected into four volumes). Barnes & Noble, Borders, or Amazon.com are all good places to look.

Darkhood_343
February 27th, 2003, 10:26 PM
Nora
I'm not really fond of Anime; there's only one Anime movie that I really enjoyed, called 'Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind'
For someone not fond of anime, you saw one of the greatest ones of all time. Even I haven't seen it, for the same reason as Martin.

Nora the Rover
March 1st, 2003, 01:47 PM
My art teacher was a big fan of Anime. He traveled to Japan several years back, one of his friends there gave him the video, although it was in Japanese, it was really great. The plot and animation was pretty good, and they did a great job on the characters.
I've also seen one called Laputa, which is a rather weird one, and is also in Japanese with English subtitles. I somewhat liked it because of the lost city scenes near the end, but other than that, it was just plain strange. Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind is probably the best Anime movie I've ever seen.

dandin1
March 1st, 2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Nora the Rover
[B]I'm used to insane people, I'm on Starfire's forum, and Terrouge's. :cool:

I guess you can't outsane the pros ;)

A teacher that likes anime? I've never seen a teacher that did, not even a substitue

Martin the Warrior
March 1st, 2003, 04:06 PM
Nora
I've also seen one called Laputa, which is a rather weird one, and is also in Japanese with English subtitles.

Yet another Miyazaki movie I've been waiting to see. Thankfully, it'll be released next month (under the sub-title, Castle in the Sky) along with Spirited Away and Kiki's Delivery Service.

Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind is probably the best Anime movie I've ever seen.

Have you managed to see Princess Mononoke, by any chance? It's my personal favorite of Miyazaki's works, even beating out the Nausicaš manga. If not, I'd recommend renting it or catching it on cable (it's been airing on Starz and The Action Channel in recent months).

LadyBeelze
March 1st, 2003, 06:05 PM
*nod nod* Princess Mononoke is a swell movie, like martin said you can catch it on starz or the action channel a-lot. I musta seen it 5-6 times the past months.

Nora the Rover
March 1st, 2003, 08:14 PM
Erm...I didn't like Princess Mononoke, mostly because they ruined the great plot of Nausicaa. You'd have to see the real thing to understand. They left out a few good parts, especially about the fungus stuff and other such things.
I heard that Laputa was bought by Disney, and that they were going to release it sometime soon, but I didn't know it would be so soon. It's a fairly good movie, and I hope they don't leave any good parts out.
My old art teacher from my middle school, (I'm in highschool now.), seriously loved art, and was a big fan of hard work put into projects. I don't know how he started to like Anime, though.
I haven't read any of the manga of 'Nausicaa', but if I ever come across it, it would be interesting to see it from a different point of view.

Martin the Warrior
March 1st, 2003, 11:06 PM
Nora
Erm...I didn't like Princess Mononoke, mostly because they ruined the great plot of Nausicaa. You'd have to see the real thing to understand. They left out a few good parts, especially about the fungus stuff and other such things.

Some would argue that the manga of Nausicaš, having existed both prior to the movie and after, is closer to being the "real thing". ;)

That said, Nausicaš shouldn't have any impact on Mononoke. They're two separate movies with two separate stories. Mononoke is not a retelling of Nausicaš, so it didn't ruin anything. Any similarities between the two are entirely coincidental and superficial-- man vs. nature is a theme Miyazaki has a certain fondness for and which he tries to inject into most of his projects. The miasma worked for Nausicaš because it was set in a fantasy world with no relation to our own world (unless you count it being a post-apocalyptic Earth). Mononoke, however, is set during a time in Japan's history and, Forest Gods aside, has a slightly more realistic and historical approach. As forests killing men didn't exist in history, that would be quite a stretch to make.

Or, to pretty much sum up the above paragraph, you shouldn't judge Mononoke on the fact that it isn't Nausicaš. Only Nausicaš is Nausicaš just as only Mononoke is Mononoke. Don't hold it against one that it isn't the other.

Disliking it is fine, of course. Just dislike it on its own merits. :)

Airemia
March 2nd, 2003, 10:34 AM
I'm not a huge fan of anime either... I used to be pretty into it a couple of years ago, but not any more. That said, however, I have seen a few anime movies that I really enjoyed... Especially...

Grave of the Fireflies. Wow! This movie is brilliant, but it's so sad!

and...

My Neighbour Totoro. All right, the first time I saw this movie I must have been about... three or four years old. And it's still one of my favourite movies of all time. It's awesome. Everyone go watch it, now. :D

MoonShadow
March 2nd, 2003, 10:58 AM
Okay! *pops the video into the VCR* My Neighbor Toroto was the first Anime I ever watched, and the only one that I believe I own. And the only Miyazaki movie I've seen.

HEY! I spend at LEAST 2 hours a day wacthing anime. So there. Well, you're homeschooled so you have more time! It's not fair-air! I have to sit in school listening forever while the time there could be cut short in half! And also, violin takes up a lot of time. But let's put it this way: I have to watch at least an half an hour of anime or else I'll suffocate. ;) That happens every Sunday. Maybe I should watch Hamptaro, just so I'll feel better. ;) AND, I spend a lot of time re-reading the previous issues of Shonen Jump (and sometimes trying to re-read the first volume of Hikaru no Go). ;b Fine. You guys win.

Thankfully, it'll be released next month (under the sub-title, Castle in the Sky) along with Spirited Away and Kiki's Delivery Service. Yes! Spirited Away is finally going to be released!

Darkhood_343
March 2nd, 2003, 03:23 PM
Moon-moon
And the only Miyazaki movie I've seen.
Oh boy. Your missing out. Totally. I KNOW for a fact hat you would like Mononoke Moon-moon. It's got a great storyline, (kinda confusing the first time I saw it, I was only 10) great characters, VERY good animation, and tree spirits!!! They rock. I own three Miyazaki movies, Kiki, Totoro, and Mononoke. All VERY good in my opinion. Even though Kiki is kinda blah to other people, I liked it. And hey, didn't Miyazaki work on some other movies outside of Studio Ghilbi?

Furrtil
March 2nd, 2003, 04:19 PM
The only anime movie I've seen is My Neighbor Totoro. About a bazillion times. My sister got it on DVD for Chanukkah and it's her favorite movie. I like the scene with the umbrella. :D Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrr! :P

Is there a sequel to My Neighbor Totoro? Because I remember during the loooooooong credits a bunch of scenes that were never in the movie.

We're buying Spirited Away as soon as it comes out. Or, as soon as Amazon.com can ship it to us.

Darkhood_343
March 2nd, 2003, 04:28 PM
Furrtail
Is there a sequel to My Neighbor Totoro? Because I remember during the loooooooong credits a bunch of scenes that were never in the movie.
Nope.

Martin the Warrior
March 2nd, 2003, 10:40 PM
Furrtil

Well, technically they were because they were part of the credits. ;) As I recall, it was simply a silent epilogue to make the credits interesting.

Anyway, there isn't a direct sequel, since Miyazaki has no interest in revisiting characters (and he's stated that Mei and Satsuki never see the Totoros again, which is why they're playing with other children at the end instead of the Totoros).

However, a short sequel-type movie does exist and was only shown for a limited time at the Studio Ghibli Museum. It was called Mei and the Kittenbus (presumably a different Mei). The Kittenbus is the child of the Catbus seen in Totoro and is only big enough for one occupant. A few screenshots/synopsis can be seen at http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/museum/mei/

For a complete list of Miyazaki's work (and some Ghibli pictures that didn't have his involvement), I suggest visiting http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/films/

LadyBeelze
March 3rd, 2003, 08:18 AM
The only of Miyazaki's work that i've seen is kiki's delivery service, princess mononoke, and spirited away. Really good movies *nods*

Darkhood_343
March 3rd, 2003, 02:45 PM
Wow, that was a very intersering site Martin, thanks. Oh, and I just found a book a t my library called Hayao Miazaki:Master of Japanese Animation. It's quite kewl. I read a few chapters last night, and it says a lot on him and his movies. It's written by Helen McCarthy, who also wrote The Anime! Movie Guide and another book, which I can't remember... But, it has all explanations on his movies with character profiles, plots, screens of the movie, etc. It's kinda like the site that Martin posted about, but it has a bio of Miyazaki too. He's one hard working man, I can tell you that.

Nora the Rover
March 3rd, 2003, 07:41 PM
I've seen Totoro, 'twas rather cute. I guess most of Miyazaki's works are my favorite.
This is really weird. This whole post changed from a simple introduction thingy to an Anime topic...:D

LadyBeelze
March 3rd, 2003, 07:57 PM
This is really weird. This whole post changed from a simple introduction thingy to an Anime topic...

lol

*goes to find some hotroot soup to warm her up* its so cold *shivers*

Darkhood_343
March 4th, 2003, 03:43 PM
Nora
This whole post changed from a simple introduction thingy to an Anime topic...
For some reason, it ends up being that way. A lot. So, whoever hasn't welcomed Nora, do so now.

Slagar the Cruel
March 4th, 2003, 05:57 PM
For some reason, it ends up being that way. A lot.Yep. Off-topicness is what it is. And for quite a while, it was the bane of the Long Patrol. Let's hope it doesn't start again. :(

Russus Robur
March 4th, 2003, 06:26 PM
Welcome to the LPF, Iím a quite little red squirrel who post when he ever gets a chance away from my studies.:)