PDA

View Full Version : nature vs, nurture

chupacabra
January 5th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Tannerung vs. outcast of redwall
In tanerrung, we have an otter wo has been raised by vermin and does good eventually all because otters are good creatures. In outcast, Veil is raised as good redwallers despite that he is a ferret. they should have know he was bad and would turn out that way all because ferrets are bad.

EriCartman13
January 5th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Learn How To Spell!

Badrang3
January 5th, 2006, 06:50 PM
They did know Viel would be evil, but it was against their nature to leave a baby of any species on their own.

Lady Blaireao
January 5th, 2006, 07:53 PM
They did know Viel would be evil, but it was against their nature to leave a baby of any species on their own.

I thought Viel was good, at least in the end where he dies to save Bryony.
And isn't there a possibility that there are evil woodlanders, like Drwup?(sp) And in Triss, it says the freebooters are just random animal who left their homes to become pirates, so we could assume that there are woodlanders who become freebooters.

- lady blair

RockJaw_Grang
January 6th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Learn How To Spell!

I second that.

SpearladyThyme
January 6th, 2006, 02:29 PM
The only vermin I'm aware of that 'turns good' was wotsisname, the fat rat who liked to build boats. He was a minor searat, rather stupid but good with Dibbuns. What book was he in? I don't remember. It was one with a badger mother.

I was really disappointed that both Taggerung and Veil came out 'unscathed' by their upbringings.

Is Brian Jacques copying old-time theater, where heroes and villians are defined by appearances?

~Spearlady Thyme

Bladeswift
January 6th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Is Brian Jacques copying old-time theater, where heroes and villians are defined by appearances?
In a manner of speaking, yes. While there are exceptions (Blaggut comes to mind), usually a character's traits determine their species. Species does not determine traits, though. They're not evil because they're a rat, they're a rat because they're evil.

Ember Nickel
January 6th, 2006, 02:39 PM
The only vermin I'm aware of that 'turns good' was wotsisname, the fat rat who liked to build boats. He was a minor searat, rather stupid but good with Dibbuns. What book was he in? I don't remember. It was one with a badger mother.
Bellmaker. There was also (Triss, I think)Grubbage.

RockJaw_Grang
January 6th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Blaggut I think.