PDA

View Full Version : BJ? Arrogant?

Calantorntain
February 25th, 2003, 05:55 PM
If you have every met him, he is really really nice. But doesn't he just seem a little... arrogant? Like, he can write well, and he knows it? Sort of like one thing he said when I saw him in Chicogo (not exact words, but close) "If I had learned I could right this well earlyer, I could be a {here he said prodagy or a famous child writer or something like that. I think}"

Don't get me wrong, I adore Brian! I think he is a really great guy. Just wondering what you all think.

LadyBeelze
February 25th, 2003, 05:58 PM
Well since i've never met B.J. in person and only read maybe one interview off a site i have to say i don't really know much about him except he doesn't like modern technology that much and that he writes the redwall series of course :D

*hits self X_X*

Darkhood_343
February 26th, 2003, 04:21 PM
When I met him, (last October, or November) he didn't seem THAT arrogant. At least he never said something like that. And where did you meet him, in Chicago, or a suburb?

Calantorntain
February 26th, 2003, 05:05 PM
suberb out of Chicogo, on a Saturday. Were you there?

If you were, I was the girl with the brown hair and the black shirt that said "Redwall" although you probably would not remember me.

Darkhood_343
February 27th, 2003, 05:03 PM
I don't know if I went on a Saturday or Friday, but I do know that it was at Anderson's books shop. If that helps. And, where do you live, if you don't mind me asking?

Calantorntain
February 27th, 2003, 05:44 PM
Look me up in Google. You should find the city.

I was at a Borders. Oh well.

Darkhood_343
February 27th, 2003, 10:40 PM
Ok. I know now. So, you traveled all that way to meet Brian?

Martin the Warrior
February 27th, 2003, 10:52 PM
I wouldn't term him arrogant. Aware that he's talented, maybe, but I've yet to see any of the trappings of arrogance associated with him. When I met him, he was jovial at the start and, even after staying an extra hour and a half to sign everybody's book(s), he was still jovial and making every kid feel important.

I'd say anybody whose stories are well-received enough by the fans to prompt fifteen sequels, two picture books, seven companions, three additional standalone books, an autobiography, and a three season television series certainly has a right to be a little "arrogant". The fact that BJ isn't speaks very highly of his character, in my opinion. ;)

Calantorntain
February 28th, 2003, 05:31 PM
Ah, yes, that is a good way to put it. I remember there was this really shy kid, and when he went to see BJ he could not say anything, so BJ called him the 'strong silent type.' That was really nice.

Yes, I traveled 6 hours to, and 6 hours from to meet him.

VanessaNB
February 28th, 2003, 05:46 PM
BJ? Arrogant? Heh.
Lets put it thissaway, I'm more arrogant than him, and my most impressive accomplishment so far is learning to tie my shoes:redsy He has a lot more patience than most people, and I think he deserves a little "I'm the King of the World" time, don't you?
Plus I drove my bike into the ditch, but that's different...

MoonShadow
February 28th, 2003, 10:05 PM
BJ does have a right to be arrogant. I mean, after all of what he has done, you think he'll just stay modest 100% of the time? I mean, I try to be modest, but I do get sort of arrogant sometimes, and my accomplishments aren't as big as BJs. And yes, I've learned how to tie my shoes, and double knot them. ;)

Darkhood_343
February 28th, 2003, 10:28 PM
I'm so arrogant some of my friends reffer to me as a certian Saiyin Prince... Otherwise, Moon-moons right. would YOU be that modest all the time. I certainly would, and a lot more than BJ is.

Slagar the Cruel
March 1st, 2003, 12:33 AM
Well, I never met him myself, so I can't personally judge. The stories I hear about the book signings make me think of BJ as far from arrogant, though.

He spoke a bit about his writing talent in a RWTV segment, actually...

"I've always been a writer. I always loved to write, I could always express myself in writing, and I can always tell a good story. I was the best little liar in our streets when I was a kid. Yeah. [laughs] And, eh, I loved to read and I found that I could write. Now, lots of people can be a writer. It's the same as like I would have always loved to be able to be a great musician. Now, I would never be a great musician. I could become a musician and I could become a pretty good musician, but I'd never be a great one. Y'see? Writing is my talent, and certain people have certain talents. You have a talent. You have it, yeah, you. You have a talent and if you use it properly, you can go anywhere and you can do anything. You can become the greatest at whatever you do! If that talent is for music, for writing, for art, for dancing, for math... OW!... even for math! Yeah. If you have a talent, you can become the greatest at it if you don't squander that talent, if you use it!"

Darkhood_343
March 2nd, 2003, 03:44 PM
Ya know, I think he has that burned in his brain or something, because that's EXACTLY what he said when I met him. Weird.

Mackinsie
March 14th, 2003, 06:16 PM
I didn't think he was at all arrogant. In fact, he was much nicer than I expected. He was very kind, he chatted with everyone as he signed the books and he stayed until all of them were signed. :)