PDA

View Full Version : Featured Topic (2/19) - Redwall: Last Chapter?

Rimrose
February 19th, 2006, 04:48 PM
I am sure that most of the topics I have come up with have been posted in the Bookshelf at one time or another, but with the constant influx of new members, I'm sure at least some of the answers will have changed... at least, I hope so! ;)

The first featured topic for the Bookshelf draws on the news/speculation that there will be no new Redwall book in 2006.

If you were given the opportunity to write the final chapter in the Redwall saga, what would it be? Would you envision a futuristic Redwall or would you return to the basics?

Have fun! :D

Bladeswift
February 19th, 2006, 05:20 PM
I would have the abbey destroyed. In my opinion, Redwall can only truly be "over" when the structure for which the series takes its namesake has been removed. The villain wouldn't have to be victorious, per se--they could die in a climactic battle--but I would have the abbey reduced to such a state that it is no longer habitable. A combination of fires, siege damage, possibly even explosions (the invention of gunpowder?) would be sufficient to reduce it to rubble.

Or perhaps the physical destruction of the building itself wouldn't be necessary, and Redwall could be demolished symbolically. If an extremely horrid event, such as a massacre, the death of a specific character, or something terrible and sickening were to occur within the abbey that those living there couldn't cope with it, then the residents might be driven to leave the place and the memories associated with it, much like they did with St. Ninians church.

Regardless of the specifics, I would have the remaining abbeydwellers migrate to another location and start over.

Josiah the Warrior
February 19th, 2006, 05:20 PM
If you were given the opportunity to write the final chapter in the Redwall saga, what would it be? Would you envision a futuristic Redwall or would you return to the basics?
If I had to write the final chapter in the Redwall series, I would most likely end it the classic way; using the Redwall recorder. The bulk of the last chapter would provide an air of finality and closure to the seemingly ceaseless vermin attacks; either they would all be wiped out in a spectacular final battle, or the remaining vermin would be placed in a Marlfoxish situation, where they are forced to throw away their weapons and live peacefully. After the vermin closure, there would be an epic feast (of course! :D) and a return to daily life. The Redwall recorder would then sum up these events and bring across the joyous new reality of everlasting peace, and perhaps rest the spirit of Martin the Warrior. As always, the last sentence/paragraph would be the kindly invitation to stop by Redwall at the readers leasure.

But finality is so sad; Brian will write forever, right? :)

LordTBT
February 19th, 2006, 05:44 PM
I can't help but observe this "scribes interacting with the community after a long time of dormancy" concept. I had to find a smiley to convey my emotions:

:lol:

Wait. That's not good enough.

http://bestsmileys.com/lol/17.gif
http://bestsmileys.com/lol/5.gif

There we go. Sorry, couldn't help myself. I'm very highly amused.

When you say "final chapter", I'm not sure if you mean the last chapter of the last book, or the last book itself.

Ideally, it would have to be a happy ending. It's a Redwall novel. Characters from other books in the series would be incorporated of course, through some combination of flashbacks, dream sequences, and discoveries of ancient writings.

Salamandastron will be completely sieged, by an accident of an overzealous LP member. Despite the fact that the former occupants eventually defeat the villains, the mountain is now completely uninhabitable, by all definitions of the word.

Forced to find a new place from which to defend the coast of oncoming raiders, the Salamandastron hares and badger Lord ally with a team of eager Redwallers to build a new community much farther from where Salamandaston is located.

chupacabra
February 19th, 2006, 06:15 PM
i love to have that chance even though I would miss the series a lot. Maybe the redwallers and the good creatures can finally live in peace with each other and the vermin. Maybe they can have mutual agreement or peace treaty to get along.

Hisk
February 19th, 2006, 08:02 PM
I have already done so. Redwall was besieged by a vermin army who had early gunpowder weapons.

Essentially another way to end it would be to have a city or nation created, more modern weaponry introduced (like halberds, crossbows ect.), and a move from the "dark ages" into the "middle ages".

Neh, not likely to happen. There'd probably be better ways to end the series than that.

The Red Badger
February 19th, 2006, 08:39 PM
I'd like the end to have a bit of a historical connection, preferably with the bad guy. Some past connection, the way Slagar connected Redwall and Mattimeo. That way the sense of triumph is sweeter.

As for the last chapter, an excerpt from the recorder describing how life goes on. No fanfare, no everlasting peace. . . just life goes on. It's a never-ending struggle, but one made easier by following the example of Redwall Abbey, for it endures. And that's the message of hope to end the series on. :redsy

There we go. Sorry, couldn't help myself. I'm very highly amused.

Very easily, more like it. :rolleyes:

I'm never ever giving you what you want again. :p

LordTBT
February 19th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Very easily, more like it

I have been described as being that ;)

I'm never ever giving you what you want again.

Hey now. You liked those weekend getaways to Prague and you know it.

Ferahgo the Assassin
February 19th, 2006, 10:17 PM
TBT's first post and accompanying emoticons made me chuckle.

I really like Bladeswift's idea on this one. I have often toyed with a fanfic idea of having Redwall become occupied by vermin, but having it completely destroyed would truly be an epic ending. Nothing lasts forever, and in generational terms Redwall has lasted a long time - its demise at the end of the series, but not without survivors and a strong sense of hope, would be very fitting and could work well.

I could imagine a new warrior with a strong connection to Martin (perhaps a descendant of Gonff?) leading the Redwallers to their final victory in an epic struggle, and then setting off on a grand journey with the survivors to establish a new Abbey in a faraway land. I think it could be a terrific ending.

Chelki Sureshot
February 20th, 2006, 10:58 AM
It would be this huge battle, where nobody good dies, lots of hards, Salamandastron involved, and a happily ever after ending. But preferably in the past. With characters we recognize. It would be way wierd, but anything is better than them being driven out.

Badrang3
February 20th, 2006, 12:10 PM
I would have it so one super-warlord tried to take all of Mossflower and surrounding area. Then a group of Redwallers would have to go to all the places previously visited in other books and convince them to help out, resulting in one really big battle. And, of course, the good guys would win, because it wouldn't be BJ if they didn't. :D

Chelki Sureshot
February 20th, 2006, 05:42 PM
That's a good idea.

Ms.Chibimoon-daae
February 21st, 2006, 04:06 PM
Make it a combination of Badrang3, Reds, and Josiah's ideas. That would be perfect, yet bittersweet.

Blaidd
February 22nd, 2006, 10:36 AM
If they migrated they would rebuild the abbey,

Then it would be Noonvale all over again.

The_Outcast_of_Redwall
February 23rd, 2006, 08:23 AM
BJ has been going forward chronologically so much, that I would like him to go back and possibly have the last book about Martin. Then again, I like the idea about Redwall being destroyed as an epic climax, so I don't know.

Ember Nickel
February 23rd, 2006, 04:08 PM
I would definitely prefer a historical book to an apocalypse.

Wormerwing
February 26th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Oooh, like those ideas, but I'm gonna branch off of Bladeswift's ending. I say a final cataclysmic battle, destroying the Abbey, with basically every character dying, the main good guy killing the last vermin remnants, then succumbing to his injuries. Then, a lone Dibbun crawling out from the wreckage, leaving that final picture of what was once Redwall.

Oh, wait, children's story. Sorry

Storm Swiftblade
February 27th, 2006, 12:00 PM
I agree with Bladeswift. I would probably have the abbey completely destroyed after a huge battle between the creatures of Redwall and some large army of vermin. Lots of fighting, the abbey catches on fire somehow, and they all kill each other. Then no one ever tries to rebuild it because it was destroyed by the fire. I think that would be a good, clamactic and depressing end to it all, if it were proporly written. What can I say, I like books with depressing endings...I don't know why.

Constance2
February 28th, 2006, 03:56 PM
My ending of the book:

Matthias dies, the Abbot is still alive, and everybody lives happily every after. The end. :o

Well, I must say, Redwall's end wasn't too interesting. :(

Chelki Sureshot
February 28th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Well, I must say, Redwall's end wasn't too interesting. :(It was his first book. I thought it was really good.

Lady Blaireao
February 28th, 2006, 06:47 PM
I think I'd have it be a loamhengde type situation;
Some awful thing makes everyone leave the abbey, the whole book is them trying to find a new home, then (with martin's help, of course.) they would find a new place to build a new abbey-type-thing, and the book would end right when they realized they had found a home.

-Lady Blaireao.

Barkstripe
March 21st, 2006, 11:41 AM
I think I'd have it be a loamhengde type situation;
Some awful thing makes everyone leave the abbey, the whole book is them trying to find a new home, then (with martin's help, of course.) they would find a new place to build a new abbey-type-thing, and the book would end right when they realized they had found a home.

-Lady Blaireao.

That wouldn't sell. Bj doing the exact same thing twice....with no difference except that the abbey they moved out of was called Redwall?....that would be weird.....oh well...

Renegade
March 21st, 2006, 12:16 PM
I'd have everybody coming down with some contagious, potentially fatal disease. Just when it seems like things can't get any worse, a vermin horde attacks. Some young character is sent to Salamandastron for help. Unfortunately, when he/she/it returns with reinforcements, the abbey has been overrun and nearly destroyed. The bodies of those unable to flee lie scattered around and those last seen alive are missing. The vermin in the abbey catch the disease and their leader is slowly driven to madness.
It could either end in a climatic battle, or the vermin could be killed off - with the abbey left too contaminated to live in, forcing whoever's left to go elsewhere.

chupacabra
March 21st, 2006, 02:27 PM
the middle ages is over. the renaissance has become and those creatures who were considered vermin are now the patrons of the arts supporting the those talented artists that were surpressed during the middle ages. Luther the good mouse tries to reform the church by saying foxes, rats, stouts, etc are good creatures, too.

Pawflash
March 21st, 2006, 03:16 PM
With the exception of the books ending in victory by the vermin, I think the suggestions thus far are too formulaic for the final chapter (although this makes them more likely to be similar to BJ's actual final book for this reason). Personally, I call for the rescue of Redwall by a group of vermin and the redemption of verminkind.