PDA

View Full Version : I found the big one!!!

LordTBT
February 20th, 2006, 03:49 PM
So I found a big big BJ mistake. Ho yes. This is very big, I don't think it's been found before.

While browsing the wiki, I noticed that Dandin and Bryony were both described as being great-grandchildren of Gonff.

"Wait a second," I thought. "That's impossible. How could we mess up?"

So I looked through the books.

In Outcast of Redwall, Gonff is described as being Bryony's "great-grandsire".

In Mariel of Redwall, Dandin says "the father of [his] father's father" was Gonff, which would produce this line:

Gonff
Dandin's grandfather
Dandin's father
Dandin

...making Gonff Dandin's great-grandpappy as well.

So you see we have a dillemma, and a big boo-boo on BJ's part.

Bladeswift
February 20th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Jacques really should have planned the series out before he began writing it.

The Red Badger
February 20th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Dude, people have been complaining about this since OoR first came out. :p BJ was even asked about it in "Ask Brian". His response was "They're distantly related". :cool:

LordTBT
February 20th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Dude, people have been complaining about this since OoR first came out. :p BJ was even asked about it in "Ask Brian". His response was "They're distantly related". :cool:

I see, "dude". Sorry for not memorizing every Ask BJ question.

Chelki Sureshot
February 20th, 2006, 05:39 PM
You should be, TBT.;)

But how would that work, even if they are distantly related?

LordTBT
February 20th, 2006, 05:48 PM
You should be, TBT.;)

But how would that work, even if they are distantly related?

Outcast is chronologically before Mariel, so Bryony would technically be the true great-grandchild.

Then, she obviously met a nice male mouse and they loved each other very much and they had little mice, which in turn probably had litters too, and somewhere in this multiplying process Dandin comes about.

Ember Nickel
February 20th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Or: Gonff has multiple children, some time apart. Each one of them has multiple children, some time apart. Each one of them has multiple children, some time apart. By the time you get to Bryony and Dandin's level they're so far spread out that it's not a earth-shaking newscast.

Chelki Sureshot
February 21st, 2006, 10:53 AM
;) Ahh. That's what I was kinda thinking.

Tesra
February 21st, 2006, 01:38 PM
All that reminds me Hobbits family trees... :D

chupacabra
February 21st, 2006, 05:05 PM
I'm more interested in vermin family line especially poor Veil.

Bunnies & Rabbits
February 21st, 2006, 10:11 PM
yes, that is quite a mistake.

however, i hardly see the significance. See, you corrected the line yourself. So let's move on, he still produced some good books mates, along with a grammatical error here and there and a gender change here and there, hes still a pretty solid writer.

Its not that big of a deal if he messed up with Gonff's relatives, is it?
when i read the books, i think of them as totally new characters. When he mentioned Dandins relationship with Gonff, i thought "oh yes, the heroic mousethief from Mossflower." and thats all. It really isnt that big of a deal.

Swordmaster
February 22nd, 2006, 12:40 AM
Perhaps there was another famous mouse named Gonff in that line or something...

Blaidd
February 22nd, 2006, 10:14 AM
It might be that round about that gonff had two grandsons, so that could explain the link

Gonff
Dandin's grandfather
Dandin's father
Dandin

Gonff
Gonff's son
posssible had two sons: Dandin's father and Bryony's father or mother
Bryony

Just a thought.........

MoRedwall
February 23rd, 2006, 07:18 PM
And anyways, as Bunnies and Rabbits pointed out, he made a mistake. OK lets move on. He has produced great books. This one mistake doesn't spoil the whole seires. Look at JK Rowling and Harry Potter. She has made a TON of mistakes of these sort