PDA

View Full Version : a statement

chupacabra
February 24th, 2006, 11:06 AM
This statement I have read in any Redwall books saying that certain creatures are good so they are expected to be good and friendly while others are bad and are expected to turn out back or be bad regardness of what. This character or creature is this kind of animal so he must be good and this character is bad because he is a certain animal. Good guys live and the bad guys die yet they don't reform or learn their lessons and good guys(the redwallers) sometimes act like they are high andmight righteous with bring any mercy or compassion for those ignorant vermin. Or is it only me, being silly?

Blaidd
February 24th, 2006, 11:09 AM
This statement I have read in any Redwall books saying that certain creatures are good so they are expected to be good and friendly while others are bad and are expected to turn out back or be bad regardness of what. This character or creature is this kind of animal so he must be good and this character is bad because he is a certain animal. Good guys live and the bad guys die yet they don't reform or learn their lessons and good guys(the redwallers) sometimes act like they are high andmight righteous with bring any mercy or compassion for those ignorant vermin. Or is it only me, being silly?
Yeah i agree! Rats are made out to be evil but what about Blaggut?
Ferrets are evil but what about Romsca?
Pine martens are evil but what happened to Ashleg? He quit fighting.
Fox's can be evil and so can weasels and stoats but lets not go there...

Chelki Sureshot
February 24th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Well, if you see a rat in the forest, you're gonna thing "bad" because most rats are bad. If it is good, then ok, but it's better to assume that they are bad.

Tesra
February 24th, 2006, 01:47 PM
It's the statement in most of the stories for children : bad guys are bad, and good guys are good, and you often know what is who (in what side). Predators are mostly considered like bad guys because they have to kill in order to eat (those real animals, I mean), unlike the others who can living on plants and herbs and no other animals.

Which make me think that a story where bad rabbits were pursuing good foxes would be rather funny !

Or good foxes trying merely to feed themselves with "silly rabbits who wouldn't be eaten"...:( Were we still in a struggle for Life ?? :o
No, no more psychology, or I would turn insane... But what will we do or think in their shoes ??

Josiah the Warrior
February 24th, 2006, 03:51 PM
This character or creature is this kind of animal so he must be good and this character is bad because he is a certain animal. Good guys live and the bad guys die yet they don't reform or learn their lessons and good guys(the redwallers) sometimes act like they are high andmight righteous with bring any mercy or compassion for those ignorant vermin. Or is it only me, being silly?

You keep bringing this up, but it's not entirely true. Yes, BJ is trying to make a statement to kids about good and bad, but the Redwallers don't act 'high and mighty' and plenty of vermin are given chances to reform.
For one thing, in almost every book, there is a group of bullies that briefly enter the story at some point. After ganging up on a main character and either being soundly beaten or tricked, they are made to flee. That's giving them a second chance.
Next, off the top of my head, I can remember two books that ended with the vermin being forced to learn to farm and live peacefully (Pearls of Lutra, Marlfox) after being stranded on an island.
On top off all that, there are the Blaggut's and Romsca's of the world. And perhaps Veil...?
Your theory has merit, but it's too extreme and doesn't take into account that vermin do get chances; they just blow them all.

Blaidd
February 25th, 2006, 08:03 AM
Yeah i agree! Rats are made out to be evil but what about Blaggut?
Ferrets are evil but what about Romsca?
Pine martens are evil but what happened to Ashleg? He quit fighting.
Fox's can be evil and so can weasels and stoats but lets not go there...
and continuing
Weasel's are evil but what about Graylunk?
Wildcat's are 'alledgedly' evil but what about Gingivere?
(note i said alledgedly Josiah)
wolverine's are evil but what about Gulo's brother? what's his name again?

Ember Nickel
February 25th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Askor-evil too.

saraba
February 25th, 2006, 08:16 AM
hEY aSKOR DIDN;T ACTUALLY KILL ANYBEAST IN THE BOOK! rEMEMEBER?

Ember Nickel
February 25th, 2006, 08:34 AM
hEY aSKOR DIDN;T ACTUALLY KILL ANYBEAST IN THE BOOK! rEMEMEBER?Yeah, that was because he was deadfor its entire duration, was he not? Was King Mortspear a good guy?

LordTBT
February 25th, 2006, 02:48 PM
The world of Redwall is black and white, that is why. There is generally no gray area.

Blaidd
March 1st, 2006, 04:19 PM
I think Mortspear would have been like Verdauga. Like a leader over place that he conquered. like William the conqueror.