PDA

View Full Version : Featured Topic (3/5) - Redwall = Real Life?

Rimrose
March 5th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Do you see any real life counterparts to the heroes or villians in the Redwall series? Do you think BJ based his characters off of anyone famous? What about characters on TV, in movies or other books?

Badrang3
March 5th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Ferahgo is very simaler to Henry Fonda's character Frank in the movie Once Upon A Time In The West. They both have bright blue eyes, they can each be given the title of Assassin, and both compete for leadership of their gang (with Klitch and Morton). Also, in the scene we are introduced to them, they have both just finished killing a family.

LordTBT
March 5th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Do you see any real life counterparts to the heroes or villians in the Redwall series? Do you think BJ based his characters off of anyone famous? What about characters on TV, in movies or other books?

I see a striking resemblance between Brian and Gonff.

Ember Nickel
March 5th, 2006, 06:56 PM
I see a striking resemblance between Brian and Gonff.That's deliberate.

I have a whole topic somewhere in the cybernetherworld about Redwall versus another fandom, but suffice it to say I don't think they're deliberately correlated.

Qlberts
March 6th, 2006, 02:24 AM
What fandom are talking about?

Tergen the goshawk (from Rakkety Tam) reminded me of my little brother, but as he isn't famous and BJ doesn't know him, I highly doubt that it is anything more than a coincidence ;)

chupacabra
March 6th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Cluny is a name of a historical abbey.

Bladeswift
March 6th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Idga Drayqueen (Rakkety Tam) having a slight resemblance to Marie Antoinette (aka Madame Deficit), but it's a rather far fetched connection. She's more a stereotype of the upperclass and nobility in general than an allegory of the French monarchy specifically.

Martin the Warrior vaguely reminds me of Spartacus, but only in terms of both having led a slave rebellion, not in terms of personality (are there even records of what Spartacus the man was actually like? All I've read on him are the battles).

Arrowtail
March 11th, 2006, 07:51 PM
My first post in months...so it seems only too fitting that it should be a Redwall-related post, after all.

Redwall related to real life? Perhaps not so much with characters - but maybe with locations and styles...

If Mossflower Country is supposedly a representation of Britain...could Brian intend Redwall to equal a sort of London? Both of them are located in the centre of the land, serve as a gathering place for the surrounding inhabitants (such as the rural otters), have strong economies, are of stategic and political value to foreigners, are also places of great learning (at least by Redwall standards, that is), and both have long and developed histories.

Also, the earlier books have a very medieval style that takes inspiration from the great medieval epics (Ivanhoe, King Arthur, etc.), with a lot of references to armour, feasts and castles (to name a few). Katie Sullivan (Snowfur) actually talks about this 'medieval style here: http://sullivanet.com/redwall/creative/macbeth.htm. However, Brian seems to have moved away from this medieval style recently for a more fantasy style, which I don't really like, to be honest. However, that's another subject for another thread.

It's just good to be back and posting again.

LordTBT
March 11th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Katie Sullivan (Snowfur) actually talks about this 'medieval style here: http://sullivanet.com/redwall/creative/macbeth.htm

It's blasphemy to compare BJ to that drivel.

Josiah the Warrior
March 11th, 2006, 10:30 PM
It's blasphemy to compare BJ to that drivel.
Ok, I am really starting to think you like to post with the sole intention of incensing people.

How can you call Shakespeare drivel? What's the basis? It's one thing to dislike his work, but most of it is nothing short of classic. Who doesn't dig a guy that makes up his own words?

Badrang3
March 11th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Ok, I am really starting to think you like to post with the sole intention of incensing people.

You've been here for a year and you've only just noticed that?

Ember Nickel
March 12th, 2006, 07:01 AM
It's just good to be back and posting again.Wow, welcome back, Arrowtail! It's great to see you! :)

Chelki Sureshot
March 12th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Ferahgo the Assassain reminds me of the Vice Principle in Charge of Discipline at our school.

Arrowtail
March 13th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Wow, welcome back, Arrowtail! It's great to see you! :)

Thanks! It's great to see the whole board again. *messagetooshort*

On Topic: Green Isle virtually is Ireland - it's to the west of Mossflower (Britain) and is also similar culturally, with the Celtic-style otters and the threat from outsiders. Brian obviously intended this, methinks.

Barkstripe
March 14th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Gonff and Brian...All of Mossflower to Great Britin....some other things that i can't htink of

-----edit----

yeAh....900 posts...