PDA

View Full Version : Featured Topic (3/10) - Character Designs

The Red Badger
March 10th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Alrighty, dudes and dudettes! Time for topic #3!

:redsy *kicks cheering section*

:slagar :slagar :slagar "YAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY!!!!!!"

Thank you, thank you. Too kind. :cool:

The thing about TV shows, specifically ones based on books, is that it takes the picture of the mind's eye and gives it an absolute definition. It says, "This character looks like this and this alone." In animation, detail has to be sacrificed for animatability (look, ma! New word! :p) and color palettes provide some diversity.

Out of all the characters in RWTV, Redwall, Mattimeo, and Martin the Warrior alike, whose character design did you like the best? Whose look just worked?

On the flipside, whose didn't?

Fire in the hole! :shades:

Badrang3
March 10th, 2006, 11:14 PM
I like how all the rat captains were done in season one, since I didn't really have a mental picture of them up until then. Alternatively, I did not like how Slagar's Slavers were done. They just didn't seem threatening. On that note, I didn't like how the eye holes in Slagar's mask were done. I mean, there is no real way he can see through that thing! It just bugged me.

Also on the well done list is Ironbeak, Matthias, Mortimer, Methuseleh, the shrews, Foremole, Rose, Martin. They all seemed like the pre concieved picture I had.

On the negative, Badrang and Clogg. Niether of them really looked like stoats. (If I was watching without reading the book first, I would have labeled Badrang as a wolf.)

Folgrimeo
March 11th, 2006, 01:19 AM
WORKED:

Badrang - He's by far the most appealing villain. I have to thank that he doesn't really look like a stoat (since I can't tell them apart from ferrets except for markings), his face is priceless. Whatever I may have had in mind at first can't ever compare to this.

Cluny - A bit different from what I thought, but looking at all the other renditions of him, I can't help but conclude that his design is almost perfect. Perfect, though, doesn't mean I like it the best (certainly helps).

Martin - Oh. My. Goodness. I fell in love with him the moment I first saw him, with that rogue look and that scowl of defiance. I instantly knew he was a born warrior, and for some reason this early defiance - which I expected before I even opened the book - got me excited. It made me proud to see him like this, I knew he'd be fun to watch. He just had more LIFE to him in those early moments than Matthias ever had. I'm also partial to blue, so I'm fond of the blue outfit. More ragged-looking than Matthias, a distinctive voice that was just perfect for him. I will always remember Martin as his young troublemaker self, because he seemed the most interesting during that time and it was his real first quest. Just to point out, I utterly despised the "Martin" in Redwall because of the deep voice more befitting of a human soldier and the odd appearance of any mouse in armor. I see Martin in his armor, but to me it looks like a human knight. I hated that. The young Martin is the true Martin in my eyes. Actually, when Martin's ghost appears in other Redwall novels, I always imagine the young Martin (well, relatively. I know he's grown since then, but he has the same exact design as in the TV show).

Matthias and Cornflower and Basil - They work well. Since Redwall was my introduction to the series, I really had no clue what to think of them as. I originally thought Cornflower was a white mouse with nothing on her head. But they look "right". Basil I thought of as... well, geez, I don't remember now... but I know he was a different color and didn't have some silly military outfit. I also thought of him with a croaking voice, but that's another story.

WHAT DIDN'T WORK:

Baby Rollo - I'm sorry, I don't care for the huge eyes. He looks like he'd roll along if he tripped, but seeing him in screenshots scares me. And if he was the pipsqueak with the high voice in that one video clip, then he's almost incomprehensible.

Cheek - Creepy look to him, with those big eyes. He doesn't even remind me much of an otter. In the book I imagined him a lot younger anyway. Well, without taking into consideration that a young otter can be as tall as an adult squirrel or other species. When looking at Keyla who I thought the TV show also fluked on, I came to the conclusion that the TV show's idea of an otter is clearly not the kind of otter I had in mind.

Clogg - Ugh. Now, I imagined Clogg as a slender stoat version of Captain Jack Sparrow in every way, including the slurring voice. The Russian cover for "Martin the Warrior" gives a good idea of the thin Clogg that I liked. This ugly fat thing in the TV show mortified me. I guess he fits the description of "fat" that I skipped over, but he's repulsive and his voice isn't any better. The bad kind of repulsive.

Felldoh - Felldoh's a big squirrel. When I saw him in the TV show, I thought "he doesn't look anything like a squirrel". And that's all thanks to his tail that doesn't look like a squirrel (or not of any that I know of). I could never imagine him as a squirrel in the TV show, which is why I kept forgetting that that one character was Felldoh. A certain scene near the end, and I ask myself "Who is that?" I don't know why, I kept mistaking him for Brome.

Warbeak - Because I always imagined her as a crow instead, forgetting for the moment what a sparrow looked like.

Qlberts
March 11th, 2006, 10:01 AM
I have only seen Redwall: the movie so far, but I like everything I've seen...

...except for the guosim. I don't like their design, for some reason.

Chelki Sureshot
March 13th, 2006, 09:20 AM
I don't like Squire Julian. He was just ugly. ANd he had no pupils.

Everything was pretty much the way I imagined it. Cornlower was pretty, and Basil was of course, looking awesome. I liked his gloves.

Rhio2k
April 9th, 2006, 10:13 AM
Constance's design works. A bit big in the chest but...heh, that's cool. I wish they'd come up with a different costume that lets you understand the body-to-leg proportions and ratios better, but whatcha gonna do?

Hisk
April 9th, 2006, 08:32 PM
A lot of the vermin looked plain terrible, and not at all like I would have imagined them. Threeclaws the "stoat" looked more like a fat hampster, and Killconey the "ferret" looked like je ne sais quoi...

Tiger64
May 24th, 2006, 02:51 PM
At times characters look good and at others they don't...I thought that Martin, Matthias, Rose, Cornflower, Basil, and many others looked fine. The hedgehogs kinda scared me though...a bit too kiddy like...

chupacabra
May 24th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Stoats are suppose to look like short tailed weasels not ferrets. I agree some of the vermin don't look right but I haven't seen a lot of the series.

Tiger64
May 25th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Clogg - Ugh. Now, I imagined Clogg as a slender stoat version of Captain Jack Sparrow in every way, including the slurring voice. The Russian cover for "Martin the Warrior" gives a good idea of the thin Clogg that I liked. This ugly fat thing in the TV show mortified me. I guess he fits the description of "fat" that I skipped over, but he's repulsive and his voice isn't any better. The bad kind of repulsive.

I thought he looked pretty good...well, not handsome but that's how I pictured him...