PDA

View Full Version : Featured Topic (5/26) - The Right Market for RWTV?

The Red Badger
May 26th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Alright, alright, m'back. Featured Topic Away! :cool:

Redwall met with marginal success in the U.S. airing haphazardly on local PBS stations. It's certainly garnered a lot of interest in videos and DVDs (probably the #1 thing Martin gets e-mailed about). Be that as it may, might it have achieved MORE success. . . dare I say, gone mainstream? . . . if it had been presented in another market? What if it had made it onto Fox Kids? Or maybe Kids WB? Or even Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon? The Disney Channel? Do you think a wider audience would have been a benefit to the series or a detriment? And above all, WHY?

:redsy

LordTBT
May 27th, 2006, 02:01 AM
What are your personal feelings on this Redsy? ;)

The Red Badger
May 27th, 2006, 10:55 AM
What are yours? When the thread originator gives the first opinion, chances are a lot of people who will follow will only parrot "I agree" or "I don't think so" without giving an actual opinion. That's not what Featured Topics are supposed to be, so I quiet down. Maybe I'll go through the last few and comment, but not this one yet. :shades:

Folgrimeo
May 27th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Why It Could Do Better:

- Hopefully gets aired in more places, increasing the chances that more people will watch it.

- Might get financial help from the network, so if PBS donations were ever a reason for the show not airing everywhere (or perhaps that deciding which shows in a given area are aired and which aren't), then that shouldn't be as much of a problem. Who knows, we might have seen a fourth season.

- The demographic would likely be more appropriate on a kids network, assuming that most of PBS's viewers are not children.

- Didn't it work for Teletoon?

Why It Could Do Worse:

- Networks here in America probably won't pick up the show because it doesn't really fit the theme of the rest of the shows (I can't think of any other battle-oriented kid shows... except for anime and that one wrestling cartoon), and it might be too dark. If it were to be picked up, the content of the shows may have to be edited. America seems a lot more strict on what can air on a kid's show.

- All the more edgy cartoons were off the air before Redwall's time (if Redwall did indeed make its TV debut in 1999). So the same kind of content might not be accepted anymore. Of course, there's still Nicktoons TV and Boomerang - both of which are special channels that not everyone has.

- Do these networks even air shows from other countries? I know Nick Jr. does, but I don't recall any kid shows during normal Saturday-morning hours that were like that. Then again, I was a Nickelodeon kid, and most of the time they stuck to their own shows.

- Would the show be any good if it was censored further?

So, to summarize, the show could do better if put on a kid network because it'd be aired everywhere (assuming that is what would happen) and the demographic would be more appropriate. I don't think further censoring is an issue because the show is kid-oriented enough as it is. The only holdup is: will networks bother airing it? It is a British show and medieval in nature. Imagining the show in my mind, I can completely see it on a kid's network (after all, we also had Beetlejuice and The Hobbit and Ren & Stimpy and Rocko's Modern Life on Nickelodeon). What kid wouldn't want to see a bunch of mice and rats and badgers with a little bit of tame fighting? Not to mention the "Nuh-uh, Matthias is the coolest, did you see the way he uses that staff?" conversations on the playground. But I don't think networks in America will air this kind of thing anymore, I think the show was too late.

And it doesn't seem oriented towards teenagers or adults enough to appear on TEEN Nick or Adult Swim or any of those other late-night cartoon blocks. As for PBS, I don't think its demographic is ideal for Redwall (even though I have no clue what its demographic is). Low chance of getting adopted by networks... half-hearted showing on PBS (though if it did indeed spread to 70% of the USA, I consider that an accomplishment)... Redwall seemed doomed from the start in the USA.

But hey, there were a few great shows on regular networks that quickly got cancelled and then became very popular on VHS and DVD. And of course, Disney's "Song of the South" where fans are coming out of the woodwork. VHS and DVD is Redwall's best chance in the USA.

Which I think is ironic since why would they buy something that most of the country never saw... well, the book series is popular here, so seeing a DVD of a TV adaptation should be enough to get them curious.

Rhio2k
May 28th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Home vidoe formats are better. A lot of you guys still get to watch Redwall in usa. Here in Tampa, Florida, they only aired Redwall and Mattimeo, re-ran Mattimeo a second time, then stopped showing ANY Redwall shows in january of 2001.

Josiah the Warrior
May 28th, 2006, 02:07 PM
I'm going to, if I may, draw a seemingly odd parallel between Redwall and the (awesome) Fox show, 24. Both are "cult-like" in that they have a relatively small but devoted fan base, 24 being that way because you must watch every week in order to keep up, and Redwall being that way because, well, it's Redwall.
I don't think Redwall would meet much enthusiasm if it was sent to a mainstream cartoon network; the show itself really isn't that great, most of the enjoyment is derived from the novelty and fun of seeing a favorite book acted out and given a real image to accompany the words. I think very few people that did not read the books would take interest in the show; I just can't see it drawing in a lot of fans.
I think they should just continue to release the dvd's systematically for the true fans.

chupacabra
May 28th, 2006, 04:52 PM
It might kinda hard to find a market for it since kids nowsdays or one I know don't like to read big books or books with little animals.

Chelki Sureshot
June 15th, 2006, 02:00 PM
They should have aired it on a more popular channel. And they didn't promote it enough beforehand. Trailer and sneek peaks and all of that. And they should have featured it on the news (the appraised book series of Redwall has now been made into a TV show! Starring. . .etc). ANd stuffed animals and action figures. Kids love those things, and animals like this isn't really something companies have gone into. And storybooks, and coloring books, and those learning games that the really little kids play.

Tiger64
June 15th, 2006, 10:14 PM
If they had aired it on a different channel they would've gotten more fans and they could've made the game a little bit more graphical than it currently is...

Brocktree1
July 18th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Meh, It would have done the best on CARTOON NETWORK. They have alot of 'battle oriented' shows!

Squirrel
July 20th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Fox Kids would let it on they got Ninja Turtles. My little brother won't shut up about them.

Brocktree1
July 20th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Never considered Fox Kids. I think they won't be showing it on anything major anytime soon *if ever*

Sadly, I really want one (hundred) more seasons.

Squirrel
July 21st, 2006, 08:40 AM
Never considered Fox Kids. I think they won't be showing it on anything major anytime soon *if ever*

Sadly, I really want one (hundred) more seasons.
I don't think any major station would show it because it's a show with some intelligence.

Brocktree1
July 21st, 2006, 11:25 AM
Do you seriously think that a station would reject a show for some puzzles? :confused:

Badrang3
July 21st, 2006, 01:28 PM
I think Squirrel makes a good point. Most cartoons on air now are just commercials for video games, and all the "original" ones are just cheap anime shows about nothing (I hate anime.). Since Redwall has an actual plot and character development, and doesn't involve Matthias getting the ability to shoot poorly animated balls of energy from his hand, most people wouldn't watch it.

Brocktree1
July 21st, 2006, 03:39 PM
I think Squirrel makes a good point. Most cartoons on air now are just commercials for video games, and all the "original" ones are just cheap anime shows about nothing (I hate anime.). Since Redwall has an actual plot and character development, and doesn't involve Matthias getting the ability to shoot poorly animated balls of energy from his hand, most people wouldn't watch it.

Good point Squirrel and Badrang! As much as I used to love Dragonball z :D and I still don't think it's retarted but don't watch it for enjoyment anymore, I have to agree with the statements.

cheap anime shows about nothing (I hate anime.)

Could you be more specific on what kind you hate? I really like anime, but ones about giant robots is out of the picture. I really like full metal alchemist, it has great character development, might I add extreamly well thought out (it uses realistic facts), and is entertaining throughly. I just liked dbz for the action but lately I've been out of 'action' and into other things.

Squirrelking
June 13th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Aw darn, I posted a question in another thread that would've fit here better. :p :rolleyes:

Anyway, I think some previous posters (Squirrel and Badrang) have made the best observations--the reason networks did not make a jump for Redwall is because the show was what it was--it was not about commercial entity or interest. It was simply to tell a story that many followers watched to see the words in pictures. That's a hard sell. Most anything on Nickelodeon, Kids WB, or what have you have some sort of toy franchise to go along with a show that doesn't always go anywhere, where Redwall does--characters actually die and get hurt!

Also, I forgot who made the comment about cheap anime, but I will say Wolf's Rain is one of those rare ones where you really need to question something along the way, and eventually when you see the end. You certainly need intelligence for that show. :p