PDA

View Full Version : Favorite species!

Goozy
November 1st, 2002, 05:09 PM
I feel the need to begin a topic so heeeeeeere we go!

What is your favorite species in the Redwall series and why? Woodlander and otherwise?

No, just 'cause-es. ;)

I'd have to say the otters and monitor lizards are my favorite races. I like how the otters act and their role in the stories. I like their attitudes toward life... just their nature is very pleasing to me.

Monitors... to be blunt, I like all the reptillian races that BJ presents to us. I like their speech, their cold attitudes. And I just adore reptiles.

Now.. all o' you.. POST POST POST!

Lord Servone
November 1st, 2002, 06:12 PM
Foxes, mainly because they are one of my favorite animals in real life. They also tend to be pretty cool characters in the books.

Martin the Warrior
November 1st, 2002, 06:14 PM
I have a certain fondness for mice, especially since they've become a rare sight in the series. And I always like badgers.

Airemia
November 1st, 2002, 06:54 PM
Hmm... Probably mice. I don't know, I just like 'em. I also like squirrels, foxes, and hares...

Lyrian Aryns
November 1st, 2002, 07:31 PM
Otters and ferrets are my favorites. I have no real reason for liking otters... well, I did like Skipper and Mask. and since Mossflower was the second Redwall book I read, it just kinda... rubbed off, I guess.

Now, I honestly have no rational reason for finding ferrets so cool, from the books. It just kinda came to me with my intended ROCS2 character that I was too lazy to finish and turn in. :\

Pawflash
November 1st, 2002, 09:05 PM
Squirrels are my favorite...climbing trees is so cool :)

Wildcats would be my favorite "vermin" specie, unless a Marlfox is considered it's own specie.

dandin1
November 1st, 2002, 09:25 PM
Mices, because for me they are the main specie of the serie: most of the time they are swordweilder... Or it could be badgers because they are strong, powerfull, and Red is one of them :p

Slagar the Cruel
November 1st, 2002, 11:34 PM
Um... it's between...

HARES
Comical, lovable chaps with funny accents. But there's more. Deep down inside, they're fierce fighters that will fight 'till the bitter end for their cause and the lives of others.

ADDERS
Cunning, malicious and creepy, Adders are true villains - black-hearted to the end.

WEASELS
I just like them. Maybe it's because of Ferahgo and Klitch? Anyways, I like them in real life as well - the epitomize the grand family of mustelidae!

You'll notice that I didn't put foxes on my list... while I like Slagar, I often find foxes a bit overrated. "Like the character, not the species." ;)

Airemia
November 2nd, 2002, 12:24 PM
Otters are kind of growing on me, too. I never really liked them before, but I like them more now. Not sure why.

MoonShadow
November 2nd, 2002, 12:28 PM
Hm... squirrels. Wonder why. ;)

Well, I'll put rats on the list, because I feel bad more them since they're serious underrated nowadays.
I do like foxes, since they're pretty cunning and they're cool as well.
Well, the main reason I like ferrets is because the one stuffed animal one I saw in Maine was really cuddly and made this really cute "doo doo doo ber ber ber" noise. :)

But squirrels are still the best, and birds follow.

The Red Badger
November 2nd, 2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by dandin1
Or it could be badgers because they are strong, powerfull, and Red is one of them :p

*gives Dandin half an oreo, the side without the cream* Keep this up and I may let you have a WHOLE oreo. :redsy

My favorite species is BADGERS.

Airemia
November 2nd, 2002, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by The Red Badger

My favorite species is BADGERS.

Whoa! Who saw that coming?!?! ;)

dandin1
November 2nd, 2002, 06:43 PM
Yhea, who wouldve tought? :p

The other half? hmmm... *takes out a sign that says 'Worship Reds'* Do I get the other half now?

Treerose
November 4th, 2002, 05:58 PM
:: points at her name:: Yup, I like BJ's squirrels a lot. <g> They're like mice, but with the ability to climb trees. :D Of course, I really love all the goodbeast species, too: otters, hares, mice, moles, etc.

Tree

~~~~

"[Rachmaninoff] was the only pianist I have ever seen who did not grimace. That is a great deal."

~Igor Stravinsky~

Yeah, but I wonder if he was a huncher? For me, that's worse: when the pianist has his nose glued to the keys. It looks bad, plus you're wondering what kind of a backache he's going to have later on... ;)

Lady Terra
November 4th, 2002, 06:01 PM
hmm..... squirrels, foxes, and otters i suppose ^.^ and the moles make cute characters too :D oh and cant forget hares!

MoonShadow
November 5th, 2002, 11:12 AM
*finds hares very amusing*

Cale Yin
November 5th, 2002, 11:54 AM
I've always been attracted to otters. I also like the bigger birds, owls and eagles etc. much more than I liked crows, sparrows, and robins.
I also like the older hares and older badgers.

Madd The Sane
December 2nd, 2002, 05:29 PM
For me, it is a toss up between squerrils and badgers. Otters are also pretty cool. It's hard to put a true favorite ;)

VanessaNB
December 2nd, 2002, 06:07 PM
Foxes and rats, most definantly. Foxes are one of my favorites in real life. And rats are special. *Hugs Snuggles*
I like my otters too.

Blacktooth
December 3rd, 2002, 09:22 AM
i always liked the stoats and the rats, the rats are very funny because they are not that clever. The stoats are strong and smart.

LadyBeelze
December 6th, 2002, 06:51 PM
I love otters naturally since i am one in the inside (and some times on the outside) They love the water, same with me and of course they love hotroot soup......my personal favorite

If i wasn't a otter i'd probably be a fox. Its a pitty they're usually the bad guys in the series, they're cunning and beautiful. what else would a person want

Third it would be a badger lord or lordess. They're just so misterious

MoonShadow
December 6th, 2002, 07:06 PM
Well, foxes are associated with stealing and stuff, so it makes sense that they're the baddies....

LadyBeelze
December 6th, 2002, 08:51 PM
I guess that would make some sense

Darkhood_343
December 6th, 2002, 10:24 PM
Badgers in trenches. They will rule forever.

Gabool the Wild
January 11th, 2003, 09:32 AM
My favorite is definetly the badger. They are just so strong and are good warriors and they are pretty smart too.

My favorite vermin species is fox because they are very sly and clever.

Then the monitor lizards because they were just cool.

Laughing Otter
January 12th, 2003, 11:58 AM
I like otters -- they are definitely my favorite because of their accents, personalities and skill in battle. ;) Squirrels are a close second. As for vermin, I like foxes and pine martens because they seem to have the highest IQ. :rolleyes:

Russus Robur
January 21st, 2003, 04:56 PM
I would say that the squirrels would be my favorite species with the otters a close second.:)

Warbeak
February 2nd, 2003, 07:06 PM
Oooh!
I like rats because they are my favorite animals (in real-life) and they are just awsome and hilarious!
Also, I like sparrows because, well, I like their accent and I think Warbeak is the coolest!:cool:

Rillflag27
May 20th, 2003, 10:05 PM
I looooooooooooooove otters they are always kind and brave and extremely good fighters.

DogWolf
May 21st, 2003, 02:21 AM
FAV. GOODBEAST SPECIES

Otters. Definately, runner-up would be hares.

FAV. VERMIN SPECIES

Foxes. Nice and sly. Runner-up...? Possibly Pine Martens.

Primrose
May 22nd, 2003, 10:57 PM
I'm partial to mice. Some of my favorites characters have been mice. I also love squirrels, though:)

Dannflower Reguba
May 23rd, 2003, 03:09 PM
Squirrels! Climbing trees and a bushy tail; can't get much better than that.

I like foxes too, but specifically Marlfoxes. They're just awesome.

MoonShadow
May 23rd, 2003, 04:16 PM
I'll just throw another penny into the discussion.

Squirrels are my favorite, mostly because they have these furry tails. And also because "I'm a squirrel". They're also great archers, and bows and arrows are my favorite type of Redwall weapon.

Mice seem to take a less prominent role in Redwall lately, but still, they're the classic Redwall creature. They should get more credit lately. ;) There doesn't seem to be anything too special about them, besides the fact that they seem to be really good with the sword. ;) I still like them though because they're fuzzy. Oh wait, a lot Redwall animals are fuzzy.

VanessaNB
May 24th, 2003, 06:14 PM
Otter swim, squirrels climb, moles dig, but mice are more like people. They're customizeable. I'm surprised more people don't play them. For vermin rats or weasels would seem the easiest to fool around with, but of course real life throws everything out of the window.
Kind of like when a soup can became art:rolleyes:

Matthias of Redwall
May 24th, 2003, 11:36 PM
As for a chap, hare is the best,doncha know,esp. March Hares and Long Patrol Hares, they really how to fight when they are in battle,wot?;)

Matthias of Redwall
May 24th, 2003, 11:39 PM
Me also thinks Sparra are the best, no mouseworms,or ratworms can beat Sparra see? They can't fly! Stupid worms...:rolleyes:

Furrtil
May 29th, 2003, 07:52 PM
Moles! I love the mole's humble, wonderful logic and accent, the way they cooperate and their personalities. And because the moles in The Great Redwall's Tale are so cute!!!!

The moles are sort of like the standard side character. I don't think they are underplayed, if they were the main character they would lose some of their charm. I can't imagine a Redwall book without a mole. Gotta love the comic relief.

Matthias of Redwall
May 29th, 2003, 08:08 PM
Hmmm.... Moles, well I don't see them taking a great role such as an Abbot/Abbess or a Warrior, just a digging animal

MoonShadow
May 29th, 2003, 08:27 PM
Hares are probably the funniest animals there are. They crack me up!

Rillflag27
May 29th, 2003, 08:47 PM
Thats right and brave too, I was reading Mariel of Redwall again and I jsut finished the part where they died to free the slaves. *sniff*

Furrtil
June 1st, 2003, 07:40 PM
Matthias, you can't have a story if there are no supporting characters, only stars. Seriously, can you imagine how Martin and Gonff would do without Dinny?

Moles rock!

Matthias of Redwall
June 1st, 2003, 10:22 PM
Right you are! sorry about that;) *wonder which way is better? jumping off a building or walk into a high way*

LadyBeelze
June 2nd, 2003, 01:24 PM
Jumping Of A Building Of Course ;)

I like moles, i like their quaint dialect and i'd thing i'd be cool to have some digging claws of my own :cool:

VanessaNB
June 2nd, 2003, 04:36 PM
Moles are cool...they run right in front of moving vehicles. Who wouldn't love an animal that does that?! And it must be tought to write that accent. We had a discussion on accents today. I think my mode of speech is normal, but someone from Toronto would probably point and laugh.
Lady Beezle...what on EARTH is your avatar? It's blue!

LadyBeelze
June 2nd, 2003, 08:53 PM
the avatar is ken from digimon adventure ..a kid

I don't got an accent..well at least i don't think i do. People that aren't from utah seem to think so :rolleyes:

I've never seen a real live mole before though..not around here. We do got foxes, badgers and mice.

Glenner
June 3rd, 2003, 08:19 PM
The otters! Very lovable. Now boggle me barnacles and bilges and all that nautical nonsense they constantly spout off, arr.;)

Madd The Sane
June 3rd, 2003, 09:17 PM
squirrels or otters are my favorites.

LadyBeelze
June 4th, 2003, 09:39 PM
I like otters, thats why i am one!? Na not really but yeah. I read somewhere that black labs have rudder like tails like otters so whenever i look at my dog i think of otters for some reason.

VanessaNB
June 5th, 2003, 04:41 PM
Black labs do indeed have rudder tails. They have webbed toes too;)
Otterlab, the newest sensation!

Glenner
June 5th, 2003, 07:08 PM
Haha, and then there are border terriers. They're small dogs, but they're awful cute. Not only do they have otter tails, but they have otter faces too! I'd love to have one.

Tazzin
June 9th, 2003, 10:13 PM
I think my favorate species would be wildcats and weasles, wildcats because they aren't that common and are controversial between good and evil (Ginivere and his wife, im blanked out on a name right now...)and weasles because....uh i just like weasles.

I also thing squrels are great too, i like the whole camoflage deal thats in some of the books.

Some people pointed out something interesting that I've noticed too, the mice are becoming less common. It now seems that the sword of martin is going to squrels and not to mice anymore. There seem to be less and less mouse characters, i wonder why that is? Anyone got an idea?

sms ('scuse my spelling):(

Dannflower Reguba
June 10th, 2003, 11:27 AM
I disagree. It seems to me that BJ is trying to expound on the other races. Mice are not that uncommon, but they were so important in the first four books...

Matthias
Cornflower
Abbot in Redwall (can't remember name)
Abbot Mordalfus
Methuselah
The churchmice family
Mattimeo
Tess
Tim
Martin
Gonff
Abbess Germaine
Mariel
Dandin
Saxtus
etc.

...that he wanted to focus on the other races. That's not to say that he completely forgot mice, he just made them somewhat secondary in some of the books. Of course, Martin's most always a main char, obviously. Oh, and to those who say mice are never mentioned in Lord Brocktree, you're mistaken.

Keyla
June 10th, 2003, 11:58 AM
People, including me, don't mean that there are no mice in "Lord Brocktree", just that they are not any of the major characters. The same is kind of true of "Triss"; it's not devoid of mice, but those that there are are in the more minor roles in the story. However, I do agree that he is in a way compensating for the large number of mice in the first few books and probably realise that we tend to like different species and would enjoy some variety and therefore changed it.

I can't really say what my favorite species is, but I liked a hare being put in a more thoughtful role in "The Long Patrol"; Tammo is one of my favorite characters. I feel hares can provide the best of both worlds, comedy and drama. I hope Martha in "Loamhedge" will be a thoughtful hare, which is likely as she is the main character.

LadyBeelze
June 10th, 2003, 07:58 PM
Is it just me or have their been a-LOT of hedgehogs in the last two books :confused:

Dannflower Reguba
June 10th, 2003, 08:03 PM
Lol, yeah, there have been. Oh, and Keyla, I wasn't directing that comment at anyone specific. Sorry if it seemed that way.

Keyla
June 11th, 2003, 03:16 AM
No it didn't seem that way at all. I was just saying what I thought.

Barrag Barr
September 5th, 2004, 07:37 AM
FOXES :slagar esspecilly Slager 'n' Redd Before he took over as chief

LostPenguin
September 29th, 2004, 10:29 PM
The moles are the best by far

Bladeswift
September 30th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Otters. 1) They like hot food; I add hot sauce and curry powder to almost everything I eat 2)Unlike hares they're fun but know when to be serious

Jackiec
October 3rd, 2004, 01:04 AM
Mine is definately badgers or
hares (because i think i have their personality :D )

Martin of Redwall II
October 3rd, 2004, 01:17 AM
definatly HARES

Hisk
January 23rd, 2005, 04:29 PM
Wow dead topic, but since I wasn't here when It started I might as well say what my favourite species is. Weasels!

Wormerwing
January 23rd, 2005, 04:57 PM
Hmmm, sparrows mahaps?

Deepspine
January 23rd, 2005, 06:24 PM
Hedgehogs Wooo! :D

Ferahgo the Assassin
January 23rd, 2005, 06:45 PM
Good: Otters, badgers, hares and hedgehogs.

Bad: Weasels and pine martens.

Satacu
January 25th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Oi gurtly loikes ee molers.

blankey_boy
January 26th, 2005, 12:52 AM
hares of coarse la. they are so cool and so humorus and bleh bleh bleh.... :)

Cheesethief
January 26th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Otters. Undeniably the best. :p

Denya
January 27th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Otters, has to be otters. Sleek and great Seabeasts. Argueably one of the most self sufficient races, along with squirrels. IMHO anyway.

Badrang3
January 27th, 2005, 01:55 PM
I like shrews. They amuse me with thier constant eating which rivals even the hares, and they're always arguing.

Cinnabarr Rivershell
January 27th, 2005, 09:23 PM
It's a tie between otters and hares for me. Welcome to the Forum Denya! I hope you have a good time here.

Rolinko
January 28th, 2005, 12:10 AM
To tell the truth... I really miss the Solitary Beaver. :( If you recall he was Constance's sole conspirator upon the construction of the crossbow/longbow for the assassination of Cluny. They kept it a total secret from the other Redwallers, even Matthias and Basil and all that lot. He did actually have some dialogue with Constance at one point in the book. Maybe a tribe of beavers are hiding somewhere... We never can figure out where all the badgers come from, so why not?

Delhome
January 28th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Favorite species, hm hard question, ::sings to the baseball song:: SQUIRRELSQUIRRELSQUIRRELSQUIRRELSQUIRRELSQUIRRELSQ UIRRELSQUIRRELSQUIRRELSQUIRRELSQUIRRELSQUIRRELSQUI RREL:: (BTW yes, I'm back, and as strange as ever, just can't go online at home so I have to during freee time at school.)

Felldoh
January 28th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Hmmm... I don't think I really have a favorite species... but my top three favorite Redwall characters are squirrels... so I'll just say squirrels then. :p Welcome back Delhome!

Cheesethief
January 28th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Yo Del! One of the old crowd!

Cinnabarr Rivershell
January 29th, 2005, 01:40 AM
Hey Delhome, you still into Emma?

Cheesethief
January 29th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Oh, not that again...please! :eek:

Anyway, hares and squirrels are tied in second place for me.

Martin of Redwall II
January 29th, 2005, 03:51 PM
after hares it would be erm.........
badgers :D i admire their strength, fighting capabilities,ability to lead, and their formidable bloodwrath ;)

Renegade
January 31st, 2005, 09:11 AM
Otters and mice tie in 1st place, followed by hares.

Wormerwing
January 31st, 2005, 04:21 PM
What, no sparrows? Well, I guess since they only appeared in 2(?) books they aren't very appreciated.

Grath
January 31st, 2005, 11:51 PM
Wow I never answered this thread. Any way Otters and Badgers are the best. that is all.

Barkstripe
February 22nd, 2005, 02:56 PM
What is your favorite species in the Redwall series and why? Woodlander and otherwise?
Definitly badgers it is probobly because of bloadwrath. and how strong they are

Kreeve
March 8th, 2005, 11:39 AM
I just LOVE otters.

don't really know why though

Aleisou Swiftpounce
March 8th, 2005, 12:24 PM
I dunno, I like them all. Although I am partial to those of a certain species...

GOODIES!
Fave: Squirrel
Runner-up: Mouseys!

NEUTRAL!
Fave: Wildcats
Runner-up: Owls

BADDIES:
Fave: Pine martens. They are such beautiful creatures.
Runner-up: Stoats.

Sagrived Switpaw
March 8th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Good
first place
Hares (wot wot)

second place
Otters
------------------
Bad
first place
Ferrits

second place tie
Foxes & Wildcats+ polecats

Cornflower
March 8th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Otters and mice are my favorite species', along with wildcats.

Sea Bogle
March 9th, 2005, 05:40 PM
My favorite's otters.

I realy like mice too though because some of my favorite characters are mice, and they were the first heroes in the books. Plus mice are traditionally thought of as insignificant, but mice in Redwall are far from that.

For baddies, I like weasels, just because I like them in real life.

Hisk
March 9th, 2005, 07:21 PM
For baddies, I like weasels, just because I like them in real life.
excellent.

Basils #1 fan
March 25th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Ferrets are my favorite species in the redwall series,only because they are my favorite animals.

Blaidd
January 17th, 2006, 12:02 PM
My favs would be Rats,Foxes and stoats. Cluny was my idol

Bobpawhare29
January 17th, 2006, 07:46 PM
I think hares are the best chap wotwot!

I also like stoats they seem smart to me:)

Goddess of Darkness
January 17th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Please, let's not be resurrecting threads this old. Thank you. Ciao! ;)

PS: MY 400TH POST!! *throws confetti and shoves party hats on everybody* CAKE FOR ALL!!

chupacabra
January 19th, 2006, 03:08 PM
i love the foxes. I also love the other vermin, too. But the foxes are my favorite. and the rats are my least. :cornflow: