PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite redwall book! (Edited post please vote here)

Goodbranch
April 6th, 2003, 12:59 PM
I like the outcast of redwall!I like how the story goes.But i do not want to tell alot because some people might have not read it yet! anyway please vote!

LadyBeelze
April 6th, 2003, 02:32 PM
my favorite has to be The Long Patrol ;)

true_redwaller
April 6th, 2003, 08:25 PM
I always like the first in almost any series I read! (For those of you who are slow, I voted for Redwall, okay.) *goes crazy (well, not exactly)*REDWALLLLLL!!!!!

Lyrian Aryns
April 6th, 2003, 08:32 PM
Eh, my favorites tend to change erratically, but I've always been rather fond of Mattimeo.

Goodbranch
April 6th, 2003, 08:33 PM
I did have the intrest in mossflower for a bit,but outcast of redwall then became my favorite

Pennybright
April 6th, 2003, 08:46 PM
It took me a while to decide, but I voted for The Bellmaker. I like all the books, and if I think about it I see that all the books have really good parts so I have an even harder time deciding.... I've always liked the Bellmaker and Salamandastron, thoughl.

Furrtil
April 6th, 2003, 10:12 PM
My favorite is Mossflower, with Redwall and Mattimeo at close seconds.

MoonShadow
April 7th, 2003, 03:15 PM
Taggerung, probably because I had waited for it the longest, so reading it was.... quite satisfying. I don't know what I'm talking about.

Glenner
April 8th, 2003, 08:30 PM
I voted for 'ol Mossy. Nothing can beat that book.;)

Darkhood_343
April 9th, 2003, 11:08 AM
Me, I think probably Taggerung or Outcast, maybe Brocktree . I don't know what I'm talking about either. I voted for Outcast.

SnugOrb
April 9th, 2003, 04:35 PM
I definitely voted for Mattimeo. Matthias is just so cool! Mossflower and Redwall are close seconds, though. Pearls of Lutra is my third favorite.

Nora the Rover
April 9th, 2003, 10:19 PM
Probably The Legend of Luke, Taggerung, or Lord Brocktree.
My favorite out of my choices, is Lord Brocktree.

Martin the Warrior
April 9th, 2003, 11:56 PM
Honestly? I can't really say. I haven't ranked them in quite awhile and my opinions on a few have changed since then. However, as TLoL was what topped my list last time I made one, that's where I decided to vote. I readily acknowledge that Martin's portions were rather cookie cutter (didn't matter, they were still enjoyable), but there was enough in there, combined with the Luke portion, to make it a really outstanding Redwall book. Luke's story had a certain grimness (I'd almost say maturity) that other Redwall stories have lacked-- even Martin the Warrior. For that, I give it props.

JaeKay L M N O P
April 20th, 2003, 11:10 AM
I've only read Redwall, Martin the Warrior, Mattimeo, and Mossflower. But out of those my favorite is Mattimeo.

freeverse
April 22nd, 2003, 10:14 PM
i chose marlfox because out of all the characters in every single book in the series, i liked songbreeze the best. but lord brocktree is a very very very close second;)

Rillflag27
April 25th, 2003, 07:52 PM
Martin the Warrior is the best book I love that book I just love it.

Russus Robur
May 11th, 2003, 06:19 PM
After reading all the Redwall books, my favorite would be "Pearls of Lutra" all the way.

Rachael_Otter 281
May 13th, 2003, 01:44 PM
Mattimeo because its the first one I read. Should have read Redwall first though...

Gabool the Wild
May 18th, 2003, 10:30 AM
*Caution: This post contains some slight spoliers in some of the books*

There are many of the Redwall books that are very good, in my opinion. Those include: Mossflower, Mattimeo, Mariel of Redwall, The Long Patrol, Marlfox, and Triss. Mossflower was the first book I read and it was an excellent battle filled tale of the liberation of Mossflower Wood. Mattimeo was an exciting tale of the pusuit of the Redwall children and the capture of Redwall. The Long Patrol was terrifying tale of a land on the brink of a terrible war. Marlfox was an unnerving tale of extremely stealthy foxes tormenting the land. And Triss was in interesting tale of three adventures that manage to blend together into one and end in one of the best endings of the 15 books. However, it is Mariel of Redwall, that gains my favor (with Mossflower in a close second). It was a large tale that involves a mousemaid, revenge, a mad villian, an island stronghold, riddles, excitment at sea, Salamandastron, and not one, but two major battles; one at Terramort, and one at Redwall Abbey. The battle at Redwall is one of the most exciting battles in the whole series in my opinion. Gabool's insanity was writing excellantly. And Brian Jacques has a way of writing scenes at sea very well, and he did it very well in this book. And so, I return to The Long Patrol, explaining why I think Mariel of Redwall is the best Redwall book. :)

DogWolf
May 20th, 2003, 01:09 AM
1st and favourite prize goes to... Mossflower!

2nd prize goees to... The Long Patrol!

And 3rd prize is a tie between Salamandastron, and Marlfox!

Keyla
June 9th, 2003, 03:56 PM
When ever I try to rate the Tales I run into the same problem over and over: trying to pick the best. For me it isn't possible, but I will give you my favorite few and why:

*SPOILERS*

"Martin the Warrior"- the tragic end here touched me the most out of all the tales.

"The Pearls of Lutra"- the riddles were good; Romsca was brilliant; Piknim's death was again very touching. In addition it is one of the best orchistrated tales in the way everything slots into place. I felt the moral lesson at the end was very effective and relevent.

"The Long Patrol"- hares aplenty. Tammo was a nice deeper character. The plot was quite orignal in many ways. It gave a good insight into the experiences of the many different characters involved in war and how it affected them.

*SPOILER END*

I can't decide!:confused:

matthiasthewarrior
August 3rd, 2005, 08:43 PM
can i choose 2?

Redwall and Mossflower rock!!!

So does Taggurung and Mattimeo.

i read all the books up 2 taggurung. :D

shadowwing
August 3rd, 2005, 09:55 PM
The Long Patrol, all the way! :D I love hares, can you tell? :p

Second, I'd probably have to say... the new book that's coming out this year. It's called -

High Rhulain SPOILER - highlight at your own risk!

Because -

it has lots of hares! SPOILER AGAIN - same as above ;)

Badrang3
August 3rd, 2005, 10:22 PM
You really don't need to spoiler the title. Most people already know it.

Cheesethief
August 4th, 2005, 09:37 AM
This thread is...over two years old. That offence merits capital punishment. ;)

Rolinko
August 4th, 2005, 06:53 PM
This thread is...over two years old. That offence merits capital punishment. ;) It's aboot bloody time someone came up with that!

Hisk
August 6th, 2005, 02:48 PM
I would say that Pearls of Lutra would be the best of the series. I'm into the whole pirate thing, and having a sort of 'good' vermin, Romsca, didn't hurt either. Plus, the semi-tropical setting was a nice change from the norm. Overall, the book was the most original and inventive of the series, and had the strongest plotline.

Barrag Barr
August 6th, 2005, 04:10 PM
My fav is Bellmaker, closly followed Rakketry Tam, and in third place is Matimeo

Cinnabarr Rivershell
August 6th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Top Three:

1. Mossflower
2. Pearls of Lutra
3. The Bellmaker

and...and...and...there are so many more! :(

Folgrimeo
August 6th, 2005, 04:30 PM
If it's okay to post in this thread...

My favorite is Taggerung, it just seemed more epic and varied than the other books. Plus it's rather dark in some places. Second place is a tie between The Legend of Luke and Mattimeo (by rights Mattimeo should be second because it seemed for once that a villain was a real threat to Redwall), and in third is Martin the Warrior because I can never forget my first time reading about Martin.

Wild Doogy Plumm
August 11th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Everyone, please vote for the long patrol. It is one of the most well thought out plot, with twists and turns in it that make the bonds between the characters and the reader very strong. In my opinion, it's one of the greatest fantasy titles availible. :cool:

Sagrived Switpaw
August 11th, 2005, 11:04 PM
Wow! Well spoken I agree completely!
The Long Patrol is in a tie with Marlfox for my favorite.

(BTW, welcome to the forums!)

Matthias the Warrior
August 26th, 2005, 07:40 PM
My favorite Redwall book was The Long Patrol.

Barkstripe
August 26th, 2005, 08:59 PM
Mattimeo. *******

Triss36
September 22nd, 2005, 12:31 PM
Rakkety Tam isn't on the list, so I had to go with Triss, another one of my favorites. Technically Martin the Warrior, Redwall, Triss, and Rakkety Tam are tied for first place, though if I had to name just one favorite, I'd pick Rakkety Tam or Triss.

Bobpawhare29
September 27th, 2005, 12:16 AM
I've always liked Lord Broktree I liked Ungatt Trun :cool:

Stoat
September 27th, 2005, 10:30 PM
As for me, I voted for Mariel of Redwall because I liked all of the searats and I thoroughly enjoyed the naval pursuits and battles. I also think Graypatch may be one of my favorite villains of all time. Cause he had some serious brains, especially for a corsair.

talee090
September 28th, 2005, 02:03 PM
id say the Bellmaker or the longpatrol
bellmaker-it takes place in a different area than all of the other redwall books
long patrol-i just like hares and all of the skills that they have

Josiah the Warrior
September 28th, 2005, 05:02 PM
1. Mossflower: quite simply, best villain.
2. Redwall: Nothing beats the original (except Mossflower), Cluny was the most sucessful conqueror and had many of Tsarmina's awesome traits, essential traits for every good villain, like a touch of insanity. Only thing that keeps Redwall from the number one slot is Tsarmina.
3. Martin the Warrior: By far the most emotional book (the end, of course) and another good villain, heck, good pair of villains. Great story, emotional ending.

Ember Nickel
September 29th, 2005, 07:36 AM
Redwall: Nothing beats the original (except Mossflower)...I disagree. Redwall is fairly far down on my list, not only because of the haycart/dogs/horse/chess business, but also because of the pathos in Abbot Mortimer's death scene and the "He struck!...He struck!...He struck!..." That was really overdone.

Oh, you want me to give my actual favorite? Uh...I've already mentioned how much I like the end of "Mossflower"...Meranda's ending comments made "Rakkety Tam" interesting. It seems to be the first time since the original "Redwall" that the character knows they're in a work of fiction. I'm not sure if I do have a favorite, only some I prefer to others.

Mariel2
September 29th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Rakkety Tam is my favorite, but since it's not one of the choices, I voted for my second favorite, Triss.

Iyla
September 29th, 2005, 09:04 PM
the "He struck!...He struck!...He struck!..." That was really overdone.

That is exactly what I thought! When I read it for the first time, I just started laughing. Which kind of ruins the whole "emotional climax" thing. Whoops.