PDA

View Full Version : vBulletin Notes

Martin the Warrior
November 1st, 2002, 06:42 PM
Since we're running off of a new system, I thought it might be wise to mention a few of the notable changes and/or new features.

On the practical application side of things, threads can now be merged or split. An example of this would be Pawflash accidentally posting a new topic instead of a reply to Slagar's post. By merging threads, it eliminates the clutter and puts the response back where it needs to be.

By contrast, splitting threads does the opposite. If an on-topic discussion drifts off-topic, I can specify all off-topic posts and create a new thread for them to be housed in, thereby retaining the integrity of the initial thread.

This board also has Sticky capability, which anchors posts I specify at the top of the Forum listing (I'm sure most of you are already familiar with this, though).

Another feature is the Calendar (part of the upper control strip). The calendar is just that-- a calendar. There will be two options: Public Event and Private Event. Only I can post Public Events, which are viewable by all members of the Forum. A private event, however, is viewable only by you and can be made by you. You can use the feature if you feel the need.

The Calendar also incorporates some profile information. Namely, your birthday. Remember that that information is optional, so if you don't want it public, you don't have to fill it out. What that does, though, is places a public notice on the Calendar saying "X's Birthday (#)". X would be replaced by your user name and # would be replaced by your age on that day, provided you entered in a year. If you entered only a month/day, then the age area will not be included. There will also be a "Today's Birthdays" section of the "Who's Online" box. It will display the user name and (if year is provided) age. Again, participation in this feature is optional.

The "Members" button in the control strip will take you to a complete list of registered users. You can sort the names any way you like, including, but not limited to, Top 10 Posters (why do I have the feeling being on that list will be something everyone desires?).

The FAQ has three sections devoted to board usage, one section devoted to Terms of Use. A fifth section, outlining LPF specific questions, is forthcoming.

And, while the board has Private Messaging capability, I've disabled it to start with. Attachments may also not be posted.

That should cover the main points. If you've got any questions about the new board, again, feel free to ask.

Airemia
November 1st, 2002, 06:52 PM
Ohh, I just remembered what I wanted to ask you, Martin! Is there going to be a Members Only forum? Please? Pretty please? :D

Martin the Warrior
November 1st, 2002, 06:56 PM
Yes, there will be. With one difference. vBulletin will not support password protected boards until version 3 is released (no official release date announced, but word is that it'll happen the end of this month). In the meantime, well... there's another way to achieve private boards.

Interesting fact: The is a Scribe Sanctum on this board. ;)

Airemia
November 1st, 2002, 07:00 PM
Oh, of course, a *secretly hidden* forum! And there's 'another' way to get a private board? Sheesh, Martin, you're being so mysterious (not that that's unusual)! :)

Lyrian Aryns
November 1st, 2002, 07:01 PM
Oooooh... I just noticed that 'users browsing this forum' thingy up on top. That is cool.

The only thing that bugs me is that it's rather... image intensive? Not as bad as Invisionboard, but it does like to take a while to load... :\ Maybe it's just my icky computer.

dandin1
November 1st, 2002, 07:02 PM
I think I guessed how... It was a CSC feature in ezboard if my guess is right. Hidden forums :p

Martin the Warrior
November 1st, 2002, 07:05 PM
Yes, it does default with a lot of images. They're all relatively small and fast loading, though. It takes about fifteen seconds to load the forum completely on a decent dial-up connection. I can always switch that around in the future, though. Absolute customization is possible (check the Newsline forum for an example).

Dandin... not exactly. Close, but not quite. ;)

Cale Yin
November 2nd, 2002, 10:55 AM
It only takes about 3 or 4 seconds for me. Of course, my dad is a computer person, and does everything possible that's free or cheap to make our compies fast... :)

Lyrian Aryns
November 2nd, 2002, 12:33 PM
*moans* I so envy you people with DSL and Broadband and stuff like that...

Cale Yin
November 2nd, 2002, 01:19 PM
And cable. :D

Slagar the Cruel
November 2nd, 2002, 01:23 PM
Once Martin adds the LPF section to the FAQ, my FAQ will have to go to that big Q&A collumn in the sky... ;) J/K. So, Martin, are you going to use the emoticon question I suggested?

Lyrian Aryns
November 2nd, 2002, 01:29 PM
Yes, that too...

Argh... if I wanted the stuff to load faster, I guess I could change my posts-per-page thing. But I've always hated having eight million little pages out there, becuase someone always gets that one last post on a page, which I end up missing because a bunch of people already replied to it, bumping it onto a second page, and... I'll stop now. I'm not even sure that made sense... :\

The Red Badger
November 2nd, 2002, 04:09 PM
I'm sure if you disable "view avatars" and "view sigs" it'd load faster, too. But, then you'd miss some coolness.

Geez, there is just NO pleasing some people. . . :rolleyes:

Slagar the Cruel
November 2nd, 2002, 04:39 PM
I'd imagine EzBoard would take even LONGER to load... what, with the million ads...

Lyrian Aryns
November 2nd, 2002, 04:50 PM
I'm not complaining, I'm just... complaining. Okay. I'll shut up about the page load speed.

dandin1
November 2nd, 2002, 04:55 PM
A-ha, I think I found something about a hidden forum:

The Long Patrol Forums Mess Hall Users

Lyrian Aryns
November 2nd, 2002, 04:58 PM
Um, Dandin... what are you talking about? :\

Airemia
November 2nd, 2002, 05:56 PM
Yes, Dandin, what ARE you talking about? :cool:

dandin1
November 2nd, 2002, 06:34 PM
I saw it in the who's online page.

Lyrian Aryns
November 2nd, 2002, 06:57 PM
They actually have a PAGE for that? Woah... That is rather nifty.

dandin1
November 2nd, 2002, 08:00 PM
wait... no, I didnt see it in Whos online, I saw it in... hmm... a-ha! the place where they list all the mods!

Edit: there: http://forums.longpatrolclub.com/showgroups.php?s=
The 'forum leaders'

Lyrian Aryns
November 2nd, 2002, 08:07 PM
Oh... Hm. I thought that you meant you saw that as where Martin was at the moment or something... :\

'Course, that's the Mess Hall, not the Crater...

Martin the Warrior
November 2nd, 2002, 08:22 PM
"Mess Hall Users" was part of my beta-testing group to lock down how the new member boards will work. Thanks for showing me a hole I'll need to plug, Dandin. ;)

MoonShadow
November 2nd, 2002, 08:23 PM
*hugs cable modem* ;b

The options here are pretty cool.... Me likes. :) The only thing that I don't like is that when you finish posting a message, they redirect you back into the same thread.

Martin the Warrior
November 2nd, 2002, 08:43 PM
I point out that ezBoard did the same. The difference is that now you're taken to the last post of the thread rather than the first.

Cale Yin
November 2nd, 2002, 10:01 PM
I rather love that. You can check for spelling errors and if your image showed up without an extra click.

dandin1
November 16th, 2002, 03:39 PM
(wached this forum all day and thee only was about two post in topics there are out-of-my-interests, so I brough this post back up!)

Ezboard did not do that, with Ez, you had an option to chose if you wanted to "stay in topic"

Lady Terra
November 18th, 2002, 03:45 PM
we're getting DSL soon. i'm really excited :D it's gunna be sooo fast. i honestly have no complaints with the board. i love it .. esp the no ads part.