PDA

View Full Version : Best Howell Cover Redwall Round

LordTBT
March 28th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Poll for the best Howell cover over the 2 decades.

There are 3 Redwall covers, than 18 other books.

Unfortunately we do not have an even number, and polls only allow for 14-15 options I believe.

Therefore the only way to do this is have a poll for best Redwall cover, a poll for the first 10 covers (including the Redwall winner), then the final 9, and then a faceoff.

As we cannot have 1 big poll with all 21 covers, this obviously does make the poll skewed. But it's the best we can do.

Votes are public. I hope everyone knows where to find covers by now.

Ferahgo the Assassin
March 28th, 2007, 04:37 PM
I definitely like the original the best. It was a great deal more detailed and (in my opinion at least) better composed than the other two, and I really liked Cluny's portrait on the back cover also.

Folgrimeo
March 28th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Hmm, good thing I was ranking Redwall covers recently.

Matthias looks too young in the original, and I have a soft spot for 10th Anniversary as that's the one I have, but I have to vote for 20th Anniversary as being the best. Puts Matthias more in line with the recent half-realistic-half-cartoony covers, and I think he looks more regal as a result. Also brings to the forefront the odd contrasts between the green and yellow colors of his habit along with the brown and white of his fur, making him one of the more interesting-looking characters on a cover.

Truffen
March 29th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Are we voting on UK or US?

Folgrimeo
March 29th, 2007, 07:13 PM
U.S., since Howell was the artist for the U.S. covers.

Truffen
March 29th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Ok then I say original. I always picture Mathias as more of a kid/preteen than an older teenager. I love all the detail and how it shows other things besides just one character. It is also the picture of how I picture Redwall in my mind.:)

Badrang3
March 29th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Most definately the original. It captures the feel of the rats invading the placid Abbey. The other two are way too bright.

Warthorn
March 31st, 2007, 01:59 AM
I liked the 20th anniversary Matthias more, but i voted for the oringinal because in my opinion it has better overall art.

Glenner
April 5th, 2007, 12:27 PM
I've always really liked the 10th anniversary cover on the paperback edition. Matthias is exactly how I would picture him and I like the border around it. However, the first cover does have more detail, it feels more midevilish (sp?) and the colors are nice. Although I always though Matthias looked a little weird. Probably because Howell was try to draw him more how a real mouse would look: short, squat and plump. The new one is nice as well, but I think my vote goes to to the original.

LordTBT
April 5th, 2007, 02:48 PM
It's been a week. Consider this poll final.