PDA

View Full Version : New Faces and Strange Places

Badrang3
April 28th, 2007, 05:41 PM
When Brian writes his next yarn, should he continue the trend of introducing new species? If so, what should said critter be? Also, if BJ decides to introduce a new area, what would it be? And, finally, should Brian introduce more "fantasy" elements into his tales?

I'm not sure about new species, but what I would like to see is a sort of empire resembling Rome, in which the vermin have a country of their own, for which they wish to annex the rest of the world. And not just a shabby village either, a fully functioning kingdom with a reigning monarch.

And as far as fantasy elements, I say no. I like my stories as grounded to reality as much as possible, and giving characters the ability to do magic and such would be stretching the basis of Mossflower a wee bit too much for my liking.

The Red Badger
April 28th, 2007, 05:56 PM
When Brian writes his next yarn, should he continue the trend of introducing new species?

Only if it serves the story. If it doesn't, I'd rather give neglected established species the facetime. :cool:

If so, what should said critter be?

If I *must* give one, then I'll go to the ol' standby "raccoon", which I think was the #1 most requested animal for the longest time (dunno if that's changed now). Seems naturally suited for the role of a thief ala Gonff (may his awesomeness be acknowledged forever! :redsy).

Also, if BJ decides to introduce a new area, what would it be?

He should explore what he's already established more. Constantly introducing new lands with each book isolates and diminishes those lands, because they're relevant only for the book they're in, then discarded. I think it'd be cool to write a book about a long sea voyage/chase with stops at Terramort, Sampetra, Green Isle, the Twin Isles, Ruddaring, Peace Isle. . . the whole lot. Tie them all together, remind us that they're out there, THEN think about adding new places. :shades:

And, finally, should Brian introduce more "fantasy" elements into his tales?

*No*!

:redsy Ahem.

No. Wouldn't fit. :cool:

I'm not sure about new species, but what I would like to see is a sort of empire resembling Rome, in which the vermin have a country of their own, for which they wish to annex the rest of the world. And not just a shabby village either, a fully functioning kingdom with a reigning monarch.

That'd be cool, kinda Sampetra only landlocked and more organized? :cool:

Nice topic.

LordTBT
April 28th, 2007, 09:28 PM
When Brian writes his next yarn, should he continue the trend of introducing new species?

I'd rather he bring back some of the others he introduced and abandoned.

Also, if BJ decides to introduce a new area, what would it be?

Explore the East!!

And, finally, should Brian introduce more "fantasy" elements into his tales?

No.

Chelki Sureshot
April 28th, 2007, 09:40 PM
I've always wanted to see a real town. With stores and everything. No fantasy, of course. I want to see Kotir when it was first built!

The dirgecallers
April 29th, 2007, 12:58 PM
I've always wanted to see a real town. With stores and everything. No fantasy, of course. I want to see Kotir when it was first built!

Yeah, I wish we could see a vermin town.Or a gray fox. BTW Kotir isn't on the Lord Brocktree map;)

Chelki Sureshot
April 29th, 2007, 05:40 PM
BTW Kotir isn't on the Lord Brocktree map;):confused: So?

The dirgecallers
April 30th, 2007, 02:03 PM
:confused: So?

Kotir was built AFTER Lord Brocktree. It would be nice to know by whom;)

Barkstripe
April 30th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Kotir was built AFTER Lord Brocktree. It would be nice to know by whom;)

Actually, not neccisaryily.(Spelling?)

I believe it was built when Verdauga went into Mossflower.

Truffen
April 30th, 2007, 03:15 PM
I would love to see B.J. reuse some of the new species like rabbits or water voles which have made only a few appearnces. (Though Burble was awsome!) I would also love to see a raccoon theif, they seem to fit that role. Or a chipmunk.

I agree just explore the ones he has already introduced. Explore the east and the north!

No more fantical elements, it just dosen't suit Redwall.

The dirgecallers
April 30th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Actually, not neccisaryily.(Spelling?)

I believe it was built when Verdauga went into Mossflower.

Read Mossflower again,it says it was built before verdauga even came to Mossflower;)

I would love to see B.J. reuse some of the new species like rabbits or water voles which have made only a few appearnces. (Though Burble was awsome!) I would also love to see a raccoon theif, they seem to fit that role. Or a chipmunk.

I agree just explore the ones he has already introduced. Explore the east and the north!

No more fantical elements, it just dosen't suit Redwall.

Unfortulantly I think rabbits went extinct in Loamhedge.:(

The east and the land of snow and ice should be visited again(anyone think that's where mariel went after the Bellmaker?;)

zandusku
May 1st, 2007, 10:44 PM
too bad he can't rewrite the old books to include some of the species and places previously mentioned.... :P

i don't know about red's idea of tying all the places in one long voyage...sounds like george lucas throwing in all the young versions of characters in the first trilogy into the later trilogy to me. but i do think he needs to bring back all those places. he should have done it sooner. i'd like to see another adventure in southsward and the northlands (such as noonvale) where martin grew up (no i'm not saying he grew up in noonvale).

zandusku
May 1st, 2007, 10:45 PM
Read Mossflower again,it says it was built before verdauga even came to Mossflower;)

Unfortulantly I think rabbits went extinct in Loamhedge.:(

rabbits went extinct in Loamhedge? how do you figure?

The dirgecallers
May 2nd, 2007, 10:48 AM
rabbits went extinct in Loamhedge? how do you figure?

Cosbro was supposedly the 'last rabbit in the land'