PDA

View Full Version : Sars

Airemia
April 21st, 2003, 11:39 PM
So, SARS, eh? ;) Anyone worried about it? Personally, I'm not. It's not like it's the black plague or anything. I'm just waiting to see how long it takes to get down to Windsor here. Toronto's only four hours away, so it shouldn't be too long, I think. They just better not start placing everyone in quarantine like they're doing up in Toronto, because that'd be... ugh...

Anyway, I think Canada has to most cases besides China and Hong Kong? I think we have about 300, and about 15 people have died.

So, what're your thoughts?

Cale Yin
April 22nd, 2003, 05:03 PM
My parents got absolutely PARANOID about it. So much so that I am taking about 12 multivitamins and immune system-boosting supplements a day. 3 cat's claw, 4 or 6 of something that I don't even know what it is, and 3 of the teen multivitamins that I have to take anyways. And sometimes a bit of liquid echinacea. And a 500-mg vit. C tablet. And I have to wash my hands a lot. And stay away from anyone who breathes. Et cetera.

Nora the Rover
April 22nd, 2003, 05:22 PM
I live in the mid-western U.S., so I don't really have much to worry about. There have only been about five cases in my state, and only two people died.
My parents weren't very concerned at all. My mom just made sure that I take my regular vitamins every day, my Iron and Vitamin C.
The only thing that somewhat freaked me out, was that my school had a large group of Japanese exchange students visiting a month or two ago, just before all the SARS virus broke out. It was a little scary...

Baby Rollo
April 22nd, 2003, 05:23 PM
I'm not scared of Sars. Heck, that disease isn't as dangerous as the flu. The only reason people are afraid of it is because it's new.

Airemia
April 22nd, 2003, 05:28 PM
Well you had nothing to worry about if they were from Japan... The disease is in China/Hong Kong. ;)

Know what was really ignorant? My friend, who's half Chinese, was walking in the mall, and some idiot came up to her and asked her if he was going to get SARS from her. I told her that she should've started coughing at him to get him to bugger off.

Oh, and Nora, I thought nobody in the States had died of it yet? :confused:

Caleyin, your parents sound like they're... erm... overreacting. Don't you live in like South Carolina? You're nowhere near it! I mean, it's fine to take precautions and all that, but I mean... Sheesh! :p

LadyBeelze
April 22nd, 2003, 05:56 PM
What is SAR? I never heard of it *heh* I don't watch the news or anything ever so i don't know. Besides i don't think i'd be any danger if i has to do with chinese people because theres only one person in the school thats not white and hes a mexican.

Airemia
April 22nd, 2003, 06:15 PM
*Sigh* Ok, here's the deal. Anyone can spread SARS, not just Chinese people. You just have to be careful around anyone who's recently returned from Hong Kong, China, or Toronto. It doesn't matter what race they are.

Lyrian Aryns
April 22nd, 2003, 06:17 PM
Unless something happened since I was listening to the news this morning, it hasn't even gotten to the northwest yet... there've been a bunch of people thinking they had it, but no actual cases so far.
So, I'm not overly worried either...

Darkhood_343
April 22nd, 2003, 06:47 PM
Heh, boy do I feel stupid. What exactly is SARS? Me no watch news.

dandin1
April 22nd, 2003, 06:49 PM
bleh, I live in Ontario, about 5 hours from Toronto, and i'm not worrying much about it, There's not much usefull stuff you can do to protect you that will actually work...

Taking vitamins and stuff won't keep you from getting SARS, i'm sure of that.

LadyBeelze
April 22nd, 2003, 06:54 PM
Can someone please answer me, what are SARS?

dandin1
April 22nd, 2003, 07:08 PM
Severe acrute respiratory sindrome

This virus comes from China, around hong kong. It can kill someone in a few days and is very contagious, in fact, it can even live outside the human body.

VanessaNB
April 22nd, 2003, 07:08 PM
I don't have any accurate info, but it makes sense to me that you would only get this if you have a weakened immune system, like you just recovered from something. And out of a couple million people, the number thats become sick aren't that great. I think.
I won't get worried until people all around me start dropping like flies, which I doubt will happen.

As for all Asians having it...what a load of poo. If you're a person of Chinese descent, born in Canada, how in the name of my dog's posterior are you gonna have SARS? The stupidity of some people amazes me.

Bzzzzzzzzt bzzzz *drops*

dandin1
April 22nd, 2003, 07:11 PM
if you have a weakened immune system

A doctor that was 40 years old died from it in Toronto, and he was healty.

MoonShadow
April 22nd, 2003, 07:27 PM
I'm Chinese and I don't have SARS. *rolleyes* I feel so lonely here....

And if any of you are worrying, I have RELATIVES in China, though they're away from the infected areas. And plus, my dad is going to China in a few weeks (!!!). Now that, I'm a bit worried about.... I don't know about you guys, but I don't want a parent to die.

Baby Rollo
April 22nd, 2003, 08:08 PM
The Flu is worse than SARS. The Flu kills 65,000 people every year. Sars has only killed a few hundred. The only reason people are afraid of it is because it's new.

Airemia
April 22nd, 2003, 08:17 PM
Rollo's absolutely right.

Anyway, from what I know *anyone* can get SARS. Usually you only die of it if you have a weakened immune system, though. But I have heard of a couple cases where the person in question was otherwise healthy, and died anyway, and that's what's got people worried.

Furrtil
April 22nd, 2003, 09:04 PM
Hong Kong's going crazy; they're all wearing surgery masks there. Apparently, southern China is a good place for breeding bizarre diseases because the human bacteria can mutate with pig and bird bacteria easily, so the human form is changed and therefore unknown to the immune system. Or something.

I'm not worried about it, but hope they can find some sort of cure. I think in China they have doctors working round the clock for a cure. That's good; it's be really bad if they did nothing.

As for someone being Chinese meaning that they have SARS, that's stupid. My sister's Chinese, and from the rate of her yapping and bouncing and jumping and giggling, she is sure not infected. *sigh* At least she's asleep now. She caused my whole family to have an argument about whether the word "egg" had a short e or a long e or a short a or something. It was quite confusing, actually, I weren't sure what they were telling me I was wrong about. Except I found out that I was right. :D

true_redwaller
April 22nd, 2003, 09:24 PM
Shame on me, but I'm actually not paying any attention to the news, as always. I hear the information, I know about it, but I don't really bother to think over it, sometimes.

VanessaNB
April 23rd, 2003, 05:26 PM
Alright. So maybe healthy people can die from it. Maybe they last a bit longer before they croak. I'm still wondering if prolonged contact with it could get you infected, like a doctor.
But isn't it funny how these "fear fads" go around? West Nile Virus (which has supposedly entered my area, but the chances of dying from it are low) is old news, because of terrorism! Terrorism? Bah, now we've got SARS! Honestly, if I always watched the news, and read all those articles in Readers Digest (which hype up anything possible), I'd be so nervous I'd have a heart attack at the sound of a door opening.

Before I die, I want to see some good news on the front page:rolleyes:

dandin1
April 23rd, 2003, 06:12 PM
yhea... I read 3 newspaper today and they all talked about SARS on the front page...

LadyBeelze
April 23rd, 2003, 06:46 PM
Seriously i'm not worried, if i die from it i die. Might as well live life like theres no tommrow and enjoy it ;)

Baby Rollo
April 23rd, 2003, 07:13 PM
There are no cures for viruses, the only things that help are vaccines. It's easy to cure bacteria because they're cell structure is different from humans because they have a cell wall. Anti-biotics destroy the cell wall or some other structure--killing the bacteria. Viruses are similar to us because they can go through human cell membranes. They have proteins in their that attach to protein receptors of cell membranes. Anti-virus medications is hard to make because it can destroy the human cells. Or something like that.

MoonShadow
April 23rd, 2003, 07:14 PM
Well, the media in part is sort of over-publicizing it. Which is... causing way much more concern then it should be. I mean, the media doesn't go and say every day how many people die of cancer. :rolleyes:

Airemia
April 23rd, 2003, 07:40 PM
Heh, wait until you guys start getting the number of cases that Canada's getting. I'm rather interested to see how much CNN will get worked up about it.

Baby Rollo
April 23rd, 2003, 07:48 PM
That's because the media wants to make money. They just put stories that will sell papers and commercials.

Furrtil
April 23rd, 2003, 09:02 PM
If you get a local newspaper, though, there will be local news on the front page. Local good news, too. Today there was an article about a two year old Filipino boy and his aunt, traveling to America and staying with this Filipino family, so the kid could get heart surgery (almost free, too!). That's good news, certainly! I think his heart grew too fast for his body. If you've ever read the book Freak the Mighty, I believe it's the same disease. Er....

And West Nile, terrorism, SARS.... Have people forgotten about AIDS? AIDS is much worse than SARS.

VanessaNB
April 24th, 2003, 05:56 PM
I haven't done any research on recent statistics (never do), and I bet that there are diseases out there killing twice as many people daily in a lot more places.
Is AIDS fatal? Yes I'm stupid. But this has been going around for...years. But we don't see it in the news all the time, at least not anymore. Interesting note: I found a very, er, descriptive book on AIDS. It explained things that I would've prefered left unknown. Ain't STD's foon?

Airemia
April 24th, 2003, 06:12 PM
Yeah, AIDs is fatal. That is to say, it will *eventually* kill you. What happens is that it weakens your immune system, so you can't fight off diseases.

In other SARS news: My sister's school just cancelled the grade eight end of the year graduation trip to Toronto, because of SARS. They're going to Niagra Falls instead. I think that's kind of stupid, because I figure that by the end of june when the trip's supposed to take place, SARS is going to be all over the place. Especially in Niagra Falls, I mean, it's not that far from Toronto.

Glenner
April 24th, 2003, 06:52 PM
Moonshadow is right, the media makes us worry about things more than we should. While I feel for those who have gotten it, I'm not going to waste my time worrying about it.