PDA

View Full Version : Ratatouille

Ferahgo the Assassin
July 15th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Folgrimeo's mention of said movie inspired me to start a thread on it, since I found it pretty enjoyable.

This most recent of Brad Bird's films wasn't quite as good as The Incredibles, but it's close: it's fast-paced, funny, touching, excellently directed, and brilliantly animated. And I can't remember a movie making me quite as hungry. :p

Anton Ego was easily my favorite character - I could've sworn up and down that he was voiced by Jeremy Irons until I saw the credits (and was disappointed). Nevertheless, he was hilarious.

Any thoughts?

Tesra
July 15th, 2007, 05:15 PM
It'll be released in France only on August 1st :( That's a shame. I'll see it too.

Fuzface
July 15th, 2007, 05:55 PM
It was cute. Not really my type of movie, though.

Bladeswift
July 15th, 2007, 10:37 PM
No interest in seeing the movie. (I haven't been interested in CG animation since The Incredibles), but for some reason the commercials for the video game actually look appealing.

Folgrimeo
July 16th, 2007, 02:02 AM
I loved it.

Now, largely I've had no problem with the Pixar films, thought they were all great (although I've never seen A Bug's Life or Cars, and I thought Monsters Inc. was the weakest of the bunch), but I wouldn't be able to pin down a favorite. I'd default to saying Pixar's latest film is the greatest. Pixar has had so many great films that... they just don't seem special anymore, no particular one seems to stand out. This is why I can't say Finding Nemo or The Incredibles is my favorite, although of those two I'd say Finding Nemo (long live Gil) even if I'm getting sick of it by now. But Ratatouille managed to stand out, I can say it's my favorite.

It wouldn't come easy at first, because as excited as I was for this movie, I remembered that the only reason I wanted to watch it was because it was the only good thing in theaters in time for my birthday. 95/100 at metacritic, beating out "Hot Fuzz" even. I know to trust anything by Pixar, but I wasn't thrilled about Cars when I saw the teaser, and the teaser for Ratatouille looked so miserable that I wasn't willing to give it a chance (then again, I scoffed at the commercials for Shrek and Finding Nemo). And I was afraid that it might predominantly be a kid's film. The short film that aired before the movie didn't help. Although these short films seem universally liked, I have a hard time not being embarrassed a little. On top of that, the first time we see Remy... sure, his smile when he admires Gusteau on the TV is cute, but I wasn't sure whether I saw it as a warm pleasant smile or a cheesy Bambi-and-Thumper smile. So I wasn't wild about Remy at first. Although it is amusing that the grandma in the house is by far the scariest grandma I've seen in a long time.

But as soon as Remy met up with Linguini, I started caring for the characters. I think the primary reason that I felt more attached to these characters was because of the animation (I didn't say their backstory or friendship because you see similar stuff in all Pixar films). It's immediately noticeable that the animation's more fluid and realistic than what I've seen in the past. Facial expressions are more subtle and plentiful. For a while I was paying close attention just to make sure, and to see how the film would handle traditional pitfalls like interacting with objects such as thin envelopes. But they all act real and as a result seem more alive, so emotional attachment is easier. Hard to remember specific scenes that are good examples of this. I'd say Linguini initially taking the job as cook, being a bit skitterish, easily distracted, stumbling when answering questions from the intimidating head chef. Or when the chef is casually looking through some mail, briefly pausing on some of it more than others. My point is, trivial details that aren't part of the plot but consequently liven up the scene. Or when Remy and Linguini are practicing cooking at home, where there's an excellent feeling of awkwardness in their movements (because they're new to this). They mess up quite a bit, like some of the wine splashing out of a glass, or the difficulty of getting raw spaghetti completely into a pot (my favorite part of that scene because I can relate to it), but they keep trying.

So, phenomenal animation, the visuals are great enough that they don't look out of place next to some photo-realistic buildings and food, a few characters that I really care for. And hey, the star is an animal. Plus, I consider it the hallmark of a great film if I get choked up a few times throughout it. Well, that happened here a few times, including a happy moment for Linguini (it's rare that I appreciate humans when there's animals around, so chalk that up to a good job by Pixar making me care for Linguini too).

I'm sorry if my lack of mentioning the storyline or emotional impact makes it seem like I'm praising the movie more for looks than heart (and the main reason I'm putting Ratatouille above the other Pixar films is because of the animation quality), but I do have to say that the duo of Remy and Linguini is more approachable and charming than the duos of past Pixar films.

My only criticism about the film... while the action scenes were great, I think they were too abrupt, a bit too plentiful... I understand their impact by being there, but believe it or not I was starting to wish the film would rest on its laurels and go for the feel-good scenes because of the great relationship between Remy and Linguini... I just didn't want to see their relationship strained any more than it already had been, given all the close calls. And there are a few times throughout where Remy or Linguini would do something that seriously threatens their friendship and seems completely against what they'd normally do. Again, I could see why they would do it - well, sometimes - but it doesn't seem traditional. It was probably the film's way of reminding everyone that for all of Remy's talent as a cook, he is still a rat (someone you wouldn't want to be handling your food), and that Linguini will never become a cook unless he starts learning how to do it by himself.

Seeing the reactions here and from what I've heard elsewhere, I'm a bit hesitant to stick with my opinion since I don't think I have a compelling reason why I favor this over other Pixar films, and I know the critics all love this movie but they've been wrong on many movies before, and the movie's been doing a bit poorly at the box office... but hey, it's like my appreciation for "Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron" no matter how shallow that film was: there was something magical about it that was right up my alley and made me happy. Or temporary bliss, I suppose.

Too bad Remy was the only rat in that film I liked.

Sagrived Switpaw
July 16th, 2007, 08:47 AM
This movie is on my "want to view" list. Since I am fairly interesting in cooking. It looks like a classice, sort of a "Ben & Me" meets "Hells Kitchen."

("Ben & Me" - A fictional work by Robert Lawson, where american forfather Ben Franklin has a mouse friend who rides in his cap)

("Hells Kitchen" - An american survivor/like TV series, focousing around chef Gordon Ramsey as he screams at his frearful hench chefs)

Mackinsie
July 16th, 2007, 10:16 AM
I haven't actually seen it yet, but I want to. I tend to enjoy animated movies more than live action ones. They make me happy and as soon as the Disney castle logo comes on the screen, I'm eight years old again! ;)

I remember "Ben and Me". I always liked the part where Amos ends up writing the beginning of the Declaration of Independence. :)

Chelki Sureshot
July 16th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Oh, I'm so tired of CG movies. I doubt I'll ever see it.

redwallfan91
July 16th, 2007, 04:47 PM
I thought it was the best of the Pixar movies. I've seen them all, and liked them all, but this was definetly the best. It's nice to be able to relax without some super tense, gory movie, or some sappy romance story. It was a good length, I loved the setting and I loved Remy.

Squirrelking
July 17th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Haven't missed a Pixar film yet. :D This one I liked as well because it takes a character with a very large stereotype to look beyond (ie. rats are dirty, live in sewers, diseased, etc.) and puts him to work in a kitchen. What I did find amazing is that the film itself isn't really made to appeal directly to kids. As if they'd know what DNA forensic testing is for (or maybe they do).

Very positive, entrancing film. Way better than that other CGI film out there on its second sequel.... ;)

Grath
July 18th, 2007, 12:35 PM
I thought it was a very well done movie, the music and the backgrounds were lovely and I liked Remy he had a dream and he followed it. The beginning was great with the old lady shooting at him and then finding all those rats living in her ceiling. Man if I saw all those rats I would run as fast as I could.

Roma Sae Eiden
July 22nd, 2007, 11:25 PM
As soon as I saw the preview for Ratatouille, I knew I was going to see it. I think I even knew I was going to love it. I have a small attraction for furry rodents doing cool stuff, so, even if it was a horrible movie it would probably find it's way on my movie shelf as soon as it'd be released on DVD. Happily, I wasn't dissapointed. I loved it. :D I agree with almost everyone on here: Ratatouille is the best Pixar movie made! :) I like how lately people have made "kids" movies so that they don't only appeal to kids. I've found myself falling in love with alot of animated movies lately. (Happy Feet, anyone?)

I dunno if this is mentioned somewhere else...but does anyone else love those weird short movies in the beginning?

Brocktree1
July 23rd, 2007, 11:09 AM
but does anyone else love those weird short movies in the beginning?

Yeah, they're pretty funny. I think their one about the old man playing chess with himself won five grammes. I believe it's five, can't remember the exact number.

Roma Sae Eiden
July 23rd, 2007, 05:55 PM
*laughs* Yeah. I remember 3 of those short movies...one with a snowman in a snow globe, another with 2 one-man bands, and the guy playing chess with himself. There was another one with a bird, I think...

They're pretty funny. :D

Mad Maudie McBurl
March 3rd, 2008, 09:40 PM
I remember the snowman in the globe too.
I loved rattatoule. I want to buy it soon. It was so funny.
Actually I might rent it again. If I don't buy it first.

Flinky_rules
March 4th, 2008, 06:11 AM
I absolutely love it.

Mama Hedgehog
March 16th, 2008, 06:33 PM
I'll have to smuggle it into the house and watch it. I drove my kids nuts by cracking up every time the commercials came on, when it got to the part "rat patootie". I just thought the mispronunciation was hilarious. :D