PDA

View Full Version : Type fast?

Mackinsie
August 22nd, 2007, 10:51 AM
How fast do you type? Typing Speed Test (http://www.calculatorcat.com/typing_test/)

I got right around 60-70 wpm. :)

redwallfan91
August 22nd, 2007, 11:17 AM
I got 88 the first time, 111 the second, and after that usually between 90 and 110. On my typing program the highest I've gotten is a 90, but I'm shooting for 100 eventually, but that's typing for 5-10 minutes straight, you lose some time with going from fast sentences to slow ones, so on average 85 to 90 is what I get.

Bladeswift
August 22nd, 2007, 02:44 PM
65 would probably be my average. Which is about the average I had when I took Keyboarding my Freshmen year. I can get up into the 100s, but only if I've memorized the sentence (which is basically cheating).

Brocktree1
August 22nd, 2007, 02:57 PM
I'd think my average was around 100 (I kept getting 90-110 with the occasional 115+) , but, once a few years ago, after practicing a sentence for a while on a program I got 178 :)

Folgrimeo
August 22nd, 2007, 03:32 PM
Got 74wpm on my first try. Got 90 the second time. I owe it to Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing 9 a long time ago.

I'm glad if anything to see people typing at around 70wpm or faster, because slow typists (or people that hunt and peck) annoy me a bit. Not inferior or anything, but it seems even a few hours with a typing program helps with typing (few hours, few days, whatever), and before you know it you're no longer looking at the keyboard.

Although I wonder about the people who use a different map like Dvorak, wondering if they wish more people would try learning their mapping of choice. There's a site somewhere that seems like a comprehensive introductive course to Dvorak, bunch of lessons for free.

But I am impressed that some of you type at or above 110wpm. I'd only reach those speeds (actually, I'd reach just 90) if speed typing. When I'm typing casually, like now, I'm probably at 60wpm.

*edit* Typing at a comfortable speed with no mistakes for my third try, got 97wpm. I'm thinking the reason I got a lower wpm the other times is because I naturally hit Backspace when I make an error, even though this test (and most other typing tests) seem to say "forget about errors, keep going!"

Rimrose
August 22nd, 2007, 03:45 PM
I can type faster when I am typing what I am actually thinking. With the test, I was around 68-70 wpm, but I fixed my typos. ;)

LordTBT
August 22nd, 2007, 04:27 PM
Took it a few times. 90-100 WPM.

Bored lately Mackinsie ;) You seem to be the test queen today.

Although thanks for this one, I've been wondering my typing speed for a while.

I owe it to Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing 9 a long time ago

My parents actually made me use this program when I was younger to learn how to properly type. Suffice it to say, it worked. :)

Ferahgo the Assassin
August 22nd, 2007, 05:15 PM
Well, that was interesting. I haven't tested my typing speed in ages, but according to this, I clock in at around 120-130. :eek: Which is higher than I expected, though I suppose not too surprising considering that I placed high in a typing competition in FBLA in high school. *nerd*

I also can thank Mavis Beacon for my typing skill. In sixth grade our typing class was absolutely horrible; the teacher was cruel and witchy, and we had to type everything with these little cardboard covers over the keyboards so we couldn't look at our hands even if we wanted to. And if you got caught trying to look, you were taken out back and whipped with a meter stick (ok, so that last part may or may not have actually happened).

But it worked, so I'm not complaining.

redwallfan91
August 22nd, 2007, 06:11 PM
According to the site:

Please note that this module gives a straight words per minute score (meaning it is not "accuracy adjusted").

I have tried many different tests, as well as several typing programs. This test is not really very accurate, because it does not adjust for certain things. Once, on this test, I got up to close to two hundred, but it was a short sentence and not really what it was supposed to be. A good typing test will give you something that takes 3-5 minutes to type, to give you a good test of your speed. For 5 minutes, I can consistently type 95 wpm. Typing tests online are rarely for more than a sentence, and since some words are extremely easy to type, they are not accurate.

I have used Mavis Beacon in the past, but did not find it nearly as helpful as the program Kid's Typing. It's pretty old, I got it when I was about five, and started typing then because my dad offered a reward for being able to type fast: 20 wpm consistently for several minutes, several times in a row meant $20. 25 meant $25 more dollars. And so on, and so forth up until I decided I didn't really care, which was about 85, two or three years ago. So that was my incentive for doing it.

Folgrimeo
August 22nd, 2007, 06:25 PM
...and started typing then because my dad offered a reward for being able to type fast: 20 wpm consistently for several minutes, several times in a row meant $20. 25 meant $25 more dollars...
Now there's an allowance plan I'd like.

My incentive for typing fast was simply to beat my mother's typing speed. Unfortunately, the computer I had at the time couldn't handle Mavis Beacon well, so the computer would temporarily freeze during tests. But I eventually became faster than my mother. Not by much more, considering she regularly does 90wpm.

Truffen
August 22nd, 2007, 07:25 PM
71, average I guess.

Tunnelly Grang
August 23rd, 2007, 03:24 PM
I got 57 wpm.