PDA

View Full Version : Why do [u]YOU[/u] read Redwall?

<LongPatrolman89>
September 24th, 2007, 05:15 PM
What is the true reason you are on this forum and are reading redwall?

Bladeswift
September 24th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Used to read Redwall. Don't anymore. Still here to discuss it when the odd thread catches my interest, and because I have friends here.

redwallfan91
September 24th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Hmm. There are dozens of reasons out there that I read them, but here are a few.

1. Ever since I heard the first book on audio cassette, read by the author and a full cast, I was hooked. I gobbled them up. That's why I read it.
2. I read it because it picque's my interest, because I love hearing a 'good yarn' over and over again. I've read Taggerung 11 times because I loved the book so much. I've read all the other books, except for High Rhulain (only 3 times for HR) 6+ times. I try to read them every year.
3. It's become sort of a passion, obsession some might say, to read and listen to them over and over. Plus I love animals more than just about anything in the world, and that's another reason to read Redwall. It's amazing what an author can accomplish to bring out emotions in a reader, and Brian Jacques does a great job of creating the right emotions at the right time: sadness when a character dies, joy when good conquers evil, etc...

Those are a few of the underlying reasons for reading it, but there are others.

EDIT: Ooops. I just saw the first question. Why am I on the forum? Well, I've followed the main site/forum for about four years now, though I only joined about two years ago, and basically it's a place to discuss some of my favourite books, and debate other things. It's not a huge priority in my life, I don't know that I have true friends here, as in a mutual friendship. If I'm wrong, I don't know about it.

Janglur Swifteye
September 24th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Hmm. There are dozens of reasons out there that I read them, but here are a few.

1. Ever since I heard the first book on audio cassette, read by the author and a full cast, I was hooked. I gobbled them up. That's why I read it.
2. I read it because it picque's my interest, because I love hearing a 'good yarn' over and over again. I've read Taggerung 11 times because I loved the book so much. I've read all the other books, except for High Rhulain (only 3 times for HR) 6+ times. I try to read them every year.
3. It's become sort of a passion, obsession some might say, to read and listen to them over and over. Plus I love animals more than just about anything in the world, and that's another reason to read Redwall. It's amazing what an author can accomplish to bring out emotions in a reader, and Brian Jacques does a great job of creating the right emotions at the right time: sadness when a character dies, joy when good conquers evil, etc...

Those are a few of the underlying reasons for reading it, but there are others.

EDIT: Ooops. I just saw the first question. Why am I on the forum? Well, I've followed the main site/forum for about four years now, though I only joined about two years ago, and basically it's a place to discuss some of my favourite books, and debate other things. It's not a huge priority in my life, I don't know that I have true friends here, as in a mutual friendship. If I'm wrong, I don't know about it.

I was going to type so much but now all I can say is Ditto.

Goddess of Darkness
September 24th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Don't really read them anymore, though I've been meaning to start again soon since it's been so long.

Honestly, I'm more here for the people than the content.

Sagrived Switpaw
September 25th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Slowly difting away from Redwall, but if given he oppertunity I'd still read it, provided I have/find the time to do such.

Mostly here for people now.

Renegade
September 25th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Don't really read Redwall that much anymore (i read the new books when the library gets them and that's it). I'm also here for the people.

Fuzface
September 25th, 2007, 08:16 AM
I don't. It's getting old and suckish. I'm tired of it. I'm mostly here because there are people here that I like to chat with and make angry. I will read the newest one, when it comes out, though....

Bladeswift
September 25th, 2007, 03:05 PM
I like the negative response to this thread. :lol:

Folrig Streampaw
September 25th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Seems quite a few people have outgrown it here. Not me though. I read the Redwall series because, like all other good books, they can be used as an escape to another world, especially after a hard day. Works for me.

Bladeswift
September 25th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Seems quite a few people have outgrown it here. Not me though. I read the Redwall series because, like all other good books, they can be used as an escape to another world, especially after a hard day. Works for me.
Not so much "outgrown" as it is "lost interest." I still like cartoons and super heroes, so it's not a maturity thing.

Badrang3
September 25th, 2007, 06:00 PM
I haven't read one of the novels for a while (except for research on my Lets Talk Tactics articles); not because I feel I've out grown them, or they're silly, or they plant racial ideoligies in my highly influential brain, or what ever other reasons are commonly thrown out there, but mainly because I've read them all many times, and thus can't quite get into them again easily. I'm sure in a few years I will gladly pick one of them up and read it again, just not any time in the near future, as the stories are still quite clear in my mind.

As for why I'm on the forums: I'm here for intellegent conversation, as well as the fact that I genuinely like alot of the people I've met in the three year span I've been here.

<LongPatrolman89>
September 25th, 2007, 06:53 PM
So your not going to read Eualia
?

Badrang3
September 25th, 2007, 07:25 PM
I intend to read Eulalia when it comes out. From what I've heard, it looks to be a good read. To elaborate on my prior statement, it's not that I don't like Redwall, I've just become bored with the stories that I've read so many times. I still like Brian's work, I just want a new story.

Although, now that I think on it, there are three novels that I do want to read again (Mariel, Longpatrol, and Outcast) because I've only ever read them once, and in the case of the Long Patrol, it was a very brief read.

Sagrived Switpaw
September 26th, 2007, 10:37 AM
I think after most Redwall fans get through the series and are waiting on the next installment. They tend to fade away from the series, and every time a new book comes out and it isn't as good as Jacques's former works.

Then things become kinda disappointing for the Reader, since he/she has such fond memories of reading "Mossflower, or Martin the Warrior" for the first time.

Thats just my take on it!

chupacabra
September 26th, 2007, 07:07 PM
I like the books. I also an animal lover.

Ferahgo the Assassin
September 26th, 2007, 11:20 PM
I guess my opinion on this is more or less an echo of others' here. I still enjoy the new Redwall books, and I always tend to get them as soon as they come out (I have all of them in hardback and intend to continue collecting them), but I don't really reread the older ones anymore. Every once in a while I'll pick up one of my favorites, like Outcast of Redwall or Mattimeo, but I haven't reread the last three that have come out at all, while I've reread all of the older ones multiple times.

The last one that I reread at all was Pearls of Lutra almost two years ago, when I was needing to write articles on it for the Redwall Wiki.

The reason I still read Redwall at all is just because I love the universe that Jacques has created, even if the plots at this point are kind of recycled and could use some work. I haven't yet given up hope for a really unique storyline or a revisiting of something from the past, either - it's bound to happen eventually.

Mara Badgermum
September 28th, 2007, 08:45 AM
My official excuse on why I read any book directed at children is because I'm making sure that it will be okay for my boys to read when they get old enough. But the truth is I have a very addictive personality and once i find something that I like I cant get enough of it for about a year or so. It happened with the Beatles when I was in High School, with Harry Potter about a year before book 5 came out, and now with Redwall. I picked up the Redwall audio book just to have something to listen to while I cleaned my kitchen and I got hooked. The obsession will calm down a bit after a while till some day I'll just be able to casually say, "yeah i used to read them they were pretty good." but right now i'm in it full force.
and why am I on the board? I'm 29. most people I know have never heard of Redwall. who else am I supposed to talk to about it?

Xie1
October 7th, 2007, 09:40 AM
I read cause I have to do a report on Redwall.

<LongPatrolman89>
October 7th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Wait so your just reading it for a report. You don't even really like the series?

Folgrimeo
October 7th, 2007, 12:29 PM
It's possible to write a report on Redwall and still like the series. It'd be beneficial to like the series so there'd be more motivation to write the report, hopefully resulting in a better paper. Although it gives me the jibblies if I'm writing about a book I love and I can't seem to approach it from an objective point of view - where I'd rather gush about the parts I loved than whatever I'm supposed to write about.

I read Redwall because of the strong characters. They keep the story interesting, the relationships and banter they have with other characters is wonderful, and they have to be doing something right considering some of their emotional moments have been the most powerful in any book I've read.

It's because of characters that I'm able to find at least one good thing in any Redwall book I read. For Loamhedge, I found Horty enjoyable. For Bellmaker, Blaggut redeemed the book for me. For Pearls of Lutra, Romsca was the highlight. For Mossflower... well, mostly Tsarmina in her later stages. And for Mattimeo, Slagar and Ironbeak rock.

...huh, four of the books had vermin as the highlights I mentioned.

Ferahgo the Assassin
October 7th, 2007, 12:34 PM
When I was in grades 3-5 I did several Redwall-related reports. I particularly enjoyed doing them when there was an illustration element involved.

Fuzface
October 7th, 2007, 01:04 PM
I read cause I have to do a report on Redwall.

Sweet! I don't have to do book reports :mad: , but I have essays and reports on people and history.

Oh, you're new, ain't you. Hi, I'm Fuzface. *shakes paws* I'm an insane, rude, obnoxious, negitive and critical hedgehog. I like the bad guys, Vampires, and Mr. Bean.

Goddess of Darkness
October 7th, 2007, 01:15 PM
When I was in grades 3-5 I did several Redwall-related reports. I particularly enjoyed doing them when there was an illustration element involved.
Ha, same here! I remember once we had to make a big poster-sized illustration for one...I did Long Patrol and drew a big picture of Tammo. It was pretty awesome. I think I may still have it somewhere in a big pile of old junk. I'll look for it, maybe I can take a digital picture. XD