PDA

View Full Version : 20 Years of Redwall

Martin the Warrior
October 6th, 2007, 10:16 AM
The Liverpool Echo ran an interview with Brian today, reflecting upon his twenty years of success with plenty of nice personal tidbits thrown in, as well. Part One (http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/views/liverpool-columnists/echo-columnists/2007/10/06/peter-grant-talks-to-the-best-selling-author-about-his-life-so-far-100252-19903859/) & Part Two (http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/views/liverpool-columnists/echo-columnists/2007/10/06/the-little-mouse-that-made-it-big-100252-19904305/). There's not much newsworthy info, but it's a nice interview from a hometown perspective (even if they can't count ;)).

The larger issue the article brings up, however, is Redwall hitting 20 years. Using that as a springboard, I'd like you to take a few minutes to think about it (no one line responses, please) and share what the significance of that is, in your eyes. What effect, if any, has Redwall's 20 years had on the industry? What does it mean to you, personally? Is it just a number? A curiosity? Or is it something more?

I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

Badrang3
October 6th, 2007, 10:28 AM
It's always interesting when someone reaches a milestone such as a two decade mark of work. To think that someone has the work ethic to keep at something for twenty years is nothing short of impressive (I can't stay focused on a project for any length of time at all). Also, you have to sit back and think, "Geez Laweez, has it really been twenty years? It sure doesn't feel like it." And then you look back and realize, say! it HAS been that long. And then you look back and think of when you first picked up this book all those years ago, and what it is that you liked about it, and, if you're like me, it was the first real book of any great length you had ever read. And even if you're of the opinion that Brian has stumbled along this length of time, you're reminded of those moments that you said, "What a good story that was."

So here's to you, BJ. Maybe you have run into somewhat of a rut recently, but you bloody well gave my eyes and brain something to do for a long period of time.

redwallfan91
October 6th, 2007, 10:32 AM
When I first began the books, I had no idea they would eventually mean so much to me. My mom got the first one from the library on audio cassette, back when I was nine. I listened to it and then checked out Mattimeo. From there I just couldn't get enough. Redwall brings a lot of memories back to me, things that I relate to it, things that happened to me at the time of reading one of the books. It's a strange feeling, hard to explain some times. I've always thought that Redwall was it's own unique genre. Sure, there are similarities to be drawn, but it feels so different.

The love I have for Redwall/Brian Jacques is what I call unconditional. No matter what he writes, no matter what he does or says, I will love it. I've spent a good number of years collecting the books and accessories, as well as a good deal of money. It's something I've put some of my life into, and I'm glad. I wouldn't have it any other way. Right now I'm rereading the series to gear up for Eulalia, and it brings back all kinds of memories and feelings. It had probably been almost a year since I had read them, and that may not seem like a long time, but for the first few years I was reading them at least twice a year. It's a refreshing look to read them again after taking a break and going into other fantasy worlds.

I love animals, and I think Redwall has a lot to do with it. I've always enjoyed holding and being near animals, but after immersing myself into the books for so long, I think it really made a difference. Some people I know say that Redwall is boring, or they don't like books that have animals as the main characters, and I just don't understand that.

But I don't only love Redwall the books, I hold an incredible respect for the author as well. When I met Brian Jacques, heard him speak, saw what he did in person, that respect was magnified. I don't think that 20 is just a number, nor is Redwall a curiousity. I don't think Redwall should become a cult thing, but it is an important part of many people's lives. Redwall is an escape, but it's a very different escape than many other fantasy books. Twenty years of Redwall, or eighty seasons, means that much more of the author's life poured into it. Brian Jacques is passionate about his work, but he has good reason to. It always moves me greatly when I hear why he began the series, and why he still goes on. He did it, and does it, for the blind children at Liverpool School for the Blind. I always admired him for what he did, and how he goes to the school to read, even now.

I don't know if Redwall had any effect on the industry, it's been a part of my life before I was aware of anything else, but I do know that it means a lot to me. I think that with 20 years of Redwall, it's the completion of a milestone, the reaching of one destination. But we'll not stop there! Here's to 20 more! Cheers for Brian Jacques!

LordTBT
October 12th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Another BJ interview, in Delaware.

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071012/LIFE/710120301/1005/LIFE

This one includes another preview from the GN for those interested.

Fuzface
October 12th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Ever since I had the books read to me, I got hooked. I read them all, despite not liking some of them, and I always look foward to the next book. The prose is brillaint, descriptive, and yet simple. I hate it when a series ends, and this one seems like it's going strong. BJ is an awesome dude, and a great writer. It's cool that he's stuck with it for so long. I hope to be around for it's 100 anaversary :)

Wow, I actully said something positve....I'm so proud of me!!!!

Janglur Swifteye
October 13th, 2007, 09:41 PM
20 years really? Score!.........no really its a score. Anyway I am glad I have been a fan of the Redwall series for about 2 years now, and I have found this forum. I am just waiting for another super good Redwall book like Mossflower or Marlfox. So to BJ? You rock to the max man! Let me give you an old Tennessee YEEEEEEAAAAAHHHHAAAWWWW!!!!........oh wait.....thats Texas. Well I dont care!

Mara Badgermum
October 14th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Honestly how many of y'all (that was Tennessee for you Jang) have never known a world without Redwall? I was 9 when the first book came out and it took me until just last year to become a fan.

LordTBT
October 16th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Just thought I'd mention the Penguin Young Readers Group has broken it's NYT best seller record, with 8 titles on the list, which includes Redwall, which is in position #6.

LordTBT
October 17th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Pennsylvania interview:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07290/825916-44.stm

However this one is rife with factual errors. Journalistic integrity, fact checking, anyone? anyone? *crickets*

"Get Your Widwack" = Get Yer Wack

"Eulalia" = Eulalia!

and it's the 19th, not the 21st novel.

And the most laughable...calling Jacques' accent "aristocratic". That's just plain hilarity, and I'll ask the citizen Britons here to comment on the most repulsed English dialect ;)

redwallfan91
October 17th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Lord TBT originally posted
And the most laughable...calling Jacques' accent "aristocratic". That's just plain hilarity, and I'll ask the citizen Britons here to comment on the most repulsed English dialect

(from the article)
"Without me knowing, a friend named Alan Durband sent 'Redwall' off to a London publisher," he said. "That meant I had to go to London and meet with these fancy people," Jacques said in an aristocratic English accent.

From what I understand, the article (quoted above) meant that he changed his accent. It could very well possibly be that when saying that he switched to an aristocratic accent. Above that paragraph in the article it said he had a Liverpool accent. I think it means he switched his accent. However, Get your widwack? Gracious....

Ferahgo the Assassin
October 17th, 2007, 02:26 PM
From what I understand, the article (quoted above) meant that he changed his accent.

I think he's right. From the way it's written, it sounds like Jacques intentionally slipped into an aristocratic accent as a way to sort of mock Londoners.

The other mistakes are kind of laughable, though.