PDA

View Full Version : Ripfang's

Gorath the Flame
October 25th, 2007, 04:21 PM
I'm sure we all know about the Ripfang(Lord Brocktree) and Ripfang(Mossflower) debat. Well this is a little different debat(or poll). I personally believe that the Ripfang from Lord Brocktree is the father of the Ripfang of Mossflower, but of course you want me to keep typing telling you why I think this.:slagar

First of all it makes perfect sense that Ripfang II(as I will now call the Ripfang from Mossflower) would want revenge on Salamandastron for the of his uncle Doomeye.(as Ripfang I had probably taught him to)

Secondly, it also makes perfect sense that Ripfang II wouldn't be afraid of the legend of Salamandastron, because Ripfang I had most likely told him alot about the inside of Salamandastron.

Then of course there are the similar traits between them, mainly there one long fang sticking out.(note that for Ripfang I it came out in the front of his mouth and for Ripfang II it came out the left of his mouth)

Lastly, Ripfang II may even be Ripfang I's grandson considering Boar's already old, but then again one can't be sure.

So please post what you think of my theory, oh and don't slander me to hard if you disagree. (and I thought it be fun to make it a poll:D )

redwallfan91
October 25th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Even though the author has said differently (ask brian contest) I still believe it's the same one. In my imagination he's the same. I know, it would make him old, but it's still possible. He was about the same age as Lord Brocktree, younger I think, but he could have lived long enough to want to get revenge on the mountain. It did, afterall, ruin his dream of being a famed warlord or captain.

Gorath the Flame
October 25th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Even though the author has said differently (ask brian contest) I still believe it's the same one. In my imagination he's the same. I know, it would make him old, but it's still possible. He was about the same age as Lord Brocktree, younger I think, but he could have lived long enough to want to get revenge on the mountain. It did, afterall, ruin his dream of being a famed warlord or captain.

Yeah I would think the same thing if Brian Jacques hadn't denied it himself. So I started thinking of reasons there might be another rat named Ripfang.

Ecto
October 25th, 2007, 05:54 PM
I've always thought of them as one and the same.

Petunia
October 25th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Your theory is a sensible one. There is not much evidence in the books to support either side, but since Mr. Jacques created them he can decide the number of Ripfangs in the series. But though it makes more sense that they should be separate characters considering the amount of time that passes between Lord Brocktree and Mossflower, I think of them as the same like redwallfan91 said. I know they are probably separate, but I don't bother with that when I'm reading. Then Ripfang is Ripfang, not Ripfang the 1st or Ripfang the second. I also think of the tapestry as Martin son of Luke's tapestry rather than his grandfather's tapestry for obvious reasons, and it's kind of like that.

But the idea of Ripfang having a mate is kind of... um... odd. :)

LordTBT
October 25th, 2007, 06:01 PM
I disagree.

There's not enough textual evidence to suggest any of the above, it's all theory. I mean it's great if you want to think that, but considering it's completely impossible to prove, and Brian has said they are different, that's enough for me.

Plus if we follow the Jo Rowling rules of literature, who says the Lord Brocktree Ripfang is the type of rat who would be a father? ;)

If you go to the Wiki and look up Ripfang, one contributor wrote a very thoughtful summary on comparing both characters.

Also, side note because it bugs me, it's completely impossible to slander someone on an internet forum.

Petunia
October 25th, 2007, 06:16 PM
I do think they are separate, but they are so similar that I haven't bothered to think of it until now.

redwallfan91
October 25th, 2007, 06:22 PM
As the columnist in the article you so carefully pointed out, TBT,(see HP/Dumbledore thread) the reader is free to imagine what they want. Although I know the evidence is against it, I still will think what I want. Besides, it would be cooler if they were. America is a "free" country, eh?;)

Bladeswift
October 25th, 2007, 08:21 PM
As much as I would prefer the two to be the same person or blood-relatives (stories with historical connections are always an added bonus), Jacques denied they were the same person and would have mentioned it if they were related. So it is impossible for me to believe it.

Goddess of Darkness
October 25th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Ripfang's
This is becoming a trend. A horrifing trend. *shudder*

Ferahgo! Where are those painkillers?!

Gorath the Flame
October 26th, 2007, 07:21 AM
But the idea of Ripfang having a mate is kind of... um... odd. :)

Well that's what got me.(I mean who would want to marry Ripfang)

I disagree.

There's not enough textual evidence to suggest any of the above, it's all theory. I mean it's great if you want to think that, but considering it's completely impossible to prove, and Brian has said they are different, that's enough for me.

If you go to the Wiki and look up Ripfang, one contributor wrote a very thoughtful summary on comparing both characters.

I've looked at the article(actually I read it right before I posted this thread) and as I said earlier I would like to believe they are the same, but BJ denied it himself.
And as Redwallfan said above, it is a free country....eh. I put up this thread because Ripfang and Ripfang are just one of the interesting mysteries inside the world of Redwall.;)

Swordmaster
October 26th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Bad extra apostrophe in thread title! Bad!

I think of them as the same. This would make him older than Boar the Fighter when they get in that big rumble towards the end of Mossflower, but I still think they're the same.

Josiah the Warrior
October 26th, 2007, 01:47 PM
I disagree.

Yeah, and am I going crazy or was there already a topic on this...?

Plus if we follow the Jo Rowling rules of literature, who says the Lord Brocktree Ripfang is the type of rat who would be a father? ;)
He could be adopted you insensitive conservative! :p

Also, side note because it bugs me, it's completely impossible to slander someone on an internet forum.
Podcasts? But yeah in any other situation it'd be libel....

Arrowtail
October 26th, 2007, 03:00 PM
The quote from the 'Ask Brian' section is usually used to debunk this theory - but is it really a reliable source? It's stated that there are 'no exceptions' to the woodlander=good/vermin=bad rule, when throughout the books there obviously are, completely contradicting what 'Ask Brian' said. So I wouldn't take that source as 100% truthful.

LordTBT
October 27th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Podcasts? But yeah in any other situation it'd be libel....

It's only libel if it's a published work.

Gorath the Flame
October 27th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Yeah, and am I going crazy or was there already a topic on this...?

Probably.(One more post and I'll be a patroller:D )