PDA

View Full Version : Aaaand the Question is Answered

Josiah the Warrior
October 31st, 2007, 07:18 PM
First of all, I'd like to say congratulations to TBT for his 5,000th post. It's a true accomplishment considering he isn't a spammer (except for all those posts he spent arguing against my irrefutable liberal-logic, I mean c'mon:p ); far from it, his posts always hold to a very high standard of quality. Congrats!

However, I was very curious to see whether or not one can achieve the Patroller: Emeritus rank by reaching 5,000 posts; it has long been rumored that one is awarded either that or some other equally cool rank at that level....guess not....

Bladeswift
October 31st, 2007, 07:26 PM
Emeritus is awarded for being a helpful goody-goody or by bribing the Scribes. Barring blackmailing Martin into changing it for you, there's no other way to get it.

LordTBT
October 31st, 2007, 07:43 PM
I didn't even realize I hit the mark until your post Josiah. I knew it was approaching, but wow.

At any rate, I wasn't expecting a new "ranking". A few words next to my name doesn't mean too much to me. Although as (I think) the person with the most posts here to date, I'm a bit surprised the next ranking hasn't been reached yet.

I would be shocked if Martin ever awarded me "emeritus/retired" or "charter member". I mean, how could I ever compare to Treerose, Cale Yin, Hon Rosie, Clearspring, Cornflower (not the current Cornflower), and Mariel Rose?! Plain and simple: that is completely impossible.

It's a rank you earn from Martin, not posting.

Although it would certainly not shock me to log in one day and find some wiseguy ranking under my name.

Baby Rollo
October 31st, 2007, 07:53 PM
I'm pretty awesome. I don't know why I'm not Patroller: Emeritus or Patroller: Awesome

redwallfan91
October 31st, 2007, 09:08 PM
Hmm. I wondered where the "Emeritus" came from. But I disagree. I don't think it's Martin who gives it out. It's Reds! They send him a month's supply of Oreo's and he makes them Patroller: Emeritus. That's my guess.

Martin the Warrior
October 31st, 2007, 10:26 PM
However, I was very curious to see whether or not one can achieve the Patroller: Emeritus rank by reaching 5,000 posts; it has long been rumored that one is awarded either that or some other equally cool rank at that level....guess not....

As I've said before, "Patroller: Retired" is the only other achievable rank and after people hit it so fast the first time, when we came to vBulletin I set it very high. Very very high. Someone will hit it... eventually. And it'll mean so much more because of that. ;)

I would be shocked if Martin ever awarded me "emeritus/retired" or "charter member".

Retired is post based-- completely within your grasp.

Charter, however, is (and has been for over ten years) closed. I've told you this before. The people who have it have it because they contributed to the club in numerous ways in the formative years (mainly the first one)-- back then, all you did was show up and post on the Patroller for a few months. It's not a title that's given for showing up.

Emeritus-- probably not. Your history here is too checkered.

Although it would certainly not shock me to log in one day and find some wiseguy ranking under my name.

Because I have nothing better to do with my time. :rolleyes:

You're being awfully free with the cracks these days. Something wrong? Not getting enough sleep?

I'm pretty awesome. I don't know why I'm not Patroller: Emeritus or Patroller: Awesome

I'm saving it for your 16th birthday, Rollo. Being eternally 1 has its disadvantages, doesn't it? (Or are you 2 now?) ;)

Hmm. I wondered where the "Emeritus" came from.

In the first few months of the forum (over on ezBoard), there were several rank stages. The first 100 posts were divided into different ranks-- Dibbun, Recorder, Warrior, etc.-- and at 100 you hit Patroller. After that, each 100 post increment added a military rank, ala Patroller: Major, Patroller: Colonel, etc. At about 1,200 or 1,300 posts, the last rank would be reached and that was Patroller: Retired (since you'd moved through all the other military ranks). The idea behind the rank was to mark the people who had been there for a good long while.

It worked rather well for several months, but then we started getting.... enthusiastic.... posters who would hit Patroller: Retired within their first month on the board. What I'd wanted the rank to signify-- it no longer did. Plus, there would be a lot of spam as people didn't like their rank and wanted to hit the next one.

So, I went through and axed all the rankings except Dibbun, Patroller, Patroller: General, and Patroller: Retired. I increased the required post counts for each and didn't tell anyone what they were (setting the last extremely high to ensure it wasn't easily reached). Those that had legitimately acquired the Patroller: Retired rank, though, I gave the custom "Patroller: Emeritus" title so that they didn't lose the... shall we say... prestige they'd worked for.

Since then I'll give it to people who I think have earned it, which doesn't happen often. Lyrian was the last, I believe.

Although, as Bladeswift said, bribes do help. ;) (Although ones to Reds do you no good. He doesn't have the access. Mackinsie, on the other hand, is very susceptible. ;))

Ferahgo the Assassin
October 31st, 2007, 11:33 PM
Because I have nothing better to do with my time. :rolleyes:
I actually wouldn't be surprised either. Reds recently edited an entire thread about Oreos, down to every post, just for his amusement. Not to say it wasn't funny, but it's not the sort of thing that never happens on this forum.

Mackinsie
October 31st, 2007, 11:46 PM
I actually wouldn't be surprised either. Reds recently edited an entire thread about Oreos, down to every post, just for his amusement. Not to say it wasn't funny, but it's not the sort of thing that never happens on this forum.
SCRIBEs can edit posts, but we don't have the power to change user ranks. :)

redwallfan91
November 1st, 2007, 07:55 AM
Ah, so it's Martin and Martin alone who has the power. Where does he think he is, anyway? Isn't he supposed to be in America where they have democracy? Sounds more like a dictatorship if you ask me. ;)

Anyway, thanks for answer, Martin.

Edit: Oh and I'm guessing Patroller: Retired comes when you hit your 100,000 post. Yikes, that would take thirty years.

Martin the Warrior
November 1st, 2007, 10:37 AM

Like Mackinsie said, only I can alter user ranks. And while I once used a title as a public-punishment-- "Lowly Dibbun Snoop" with Lyrian, about five/six years ago when she seemingly snuck into the members area (failing to let us know that she was a member under another name)-- I don't go around changing people's titles just for the fun of ticking 'em off. I'm supposed to be ban-happy, remember? ;)

As for the thread Reds edited-- "just for his amusement" seems to stretch it a little. It was a thread designed (and stated as such) to get him to show up. Any other thread he would not have been allowed to touch.

Plus, he's Reds. Are you saying Mackinsie, Rimrose and I would act like him? ;)

Isn't he supposed to be in America where they have democracy? Sounds more like a dictatorship if you ask me.

All forums are dictatorships. ::readies the water-boarding:: ;)

Edit: Oh and I'm guessing Patroller: Retired comes when you hit your 100,000 post. Yikes, that would take thirty years.

Okay, not that high... (now you guys have an upper limit! ;))

Fuzface
November 1st, 2007, 10:45 AM
So I guess I'll never be Emertis. I have to much fun. hehe.

redwallfan91
November 1st, 2007, 11:07 AM
So I guess I'll never be Emertis. I have to much fun. hehe.

I could've told you that. ;)

Fuzface
November 1st, 2007, 11:15 AM
I could've told you that. ;)

Yes, Reddykinz, you any anyone else that has been on this forum for at least 24 hours....

Ferahgo the Assassin
November 1st, 2007, 12:30 PM
As for the thread Reds edited-- "just for his amusement" seems to stretch it a little.
Okay, for his amusement as well as that of everyone else. ;)

Plus, he's Reds. Are you saying Mackinsie, Rimrose and I would act like him? ;)
Not sure. As far as permissable behavior goes, I always sort of view the mods to a forum as a collective entity. If a thread gets totally edited by one of them, I assume that they all think it's something permissable.

Okay, not that high... (now you guys have an upper limit! ;))
My guess is 10,000.

Martin the Warrior
November 1st, 2007, 12:39 PM
Not sure. As far as permissable behavior goes, I always sort of view the mods to a forum as a collective entity. If a thread gets totally edited by one of them, I assume that they all think it's something permissable.

As a general practice, no. In that one instance, it was permitted due to the nature of the thread (people wanted him to post) and the fact that it was in The Crater with limited access. He also asked before-hand. So, for the record, you can consider that a one-off thing that would not be permitted to occur elsewhere.

Besides, the original posts were saved and can still be restored at any time.

redwallfan91
November 1st, 2007, 12:43 PM
Well I thought it was awesome and hilarious, and I thank Martin for allowing him to do it. Bravo! :lol:

LordTBT
November 1st, 2007, 01:15 PM
Emeritus-- probably not. Your history here is too checkered.

I figured that was as such ;) No surprise here.

Something wrong? Not getting enough sleep?

I get at least 8 hours every night. I'm a fitness & health machine. :cool:

Strongbow counts as your one-a-day right? ;)

Plus, he's Reds. Are you saying Mackinsie, Rimrose and I would act like him?

Har har. Certainly. Reds is your mate, of course I expected a duo to get into trouble together. :p

Gorath the Flame
November 1st, 2007, 08:49 PM
Can someone post the thread, I'd like to see it.:D (If you can't for some reason, ok)

Ferahgo the Assassin
November 1st, 2007, 08:58 PM
Can someone post the thread, I'd like to see it.:D (If you can't for some reason, ok)
Here' (http://homepage.mac.com/ericliskay/showthread.php.html)s the one altered by Reds.

He edited most of the posts to pro-Oreo comments, when originally they were intentionally provocative anti-Oreo comments with the purpose of rooting Reds out of hiding. It worked, obviously. ;)

I can't remember much else, but my original comment was something like "Anyone who eats Oreos is a communist."

Chelki Sureshot
November 1st, 2007, 10:02 PM
Don't be sad, all of those under-achieving non-emerituses. Iíll never be one either. I remember when someone got Emeritus. .. canít remember who it was, now. ..hmm. And youíd think you would get some recognition for how long youíve put up with this place, but Iíve been here four years and **drum roll please** nothing.

Gorath the Flame
November 2nd, 2007, 07:11 AM
Here' (http://homepage.mac.com/ericliskay/showthread.php.html)s the one altered by Reds.

He edited most of the posts to pro-Oreo comments, when originally they were intentionally provocative anti-Oreo comments with the purpose of rooting Reds out of hiding. It worked, obviously. ;)

I can't remember much else, but my original comment was something like "Anyone who eats Oreos is a communist."

Hahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha(Can't stop laughing)hahahhahahahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!...okay one more...HA! This amuses me.

Fuzface
November 2nd, 2007, 08:26 AM

SWEEET! That's cool.

Brocktree1
November 2nd, 2007, 03:08 PM
Grats. Weren't we congradulating him on 4000 a few months ago? That's a fast 1000 posts.

Shrubium(III)
November 4th, 2007, 10:58 PM
<lurk><whisper>yano</whisper></lurk>

Goddess of Darkness
November 5th, 2007, 10:01 AM

Pointing out again, he didn't alter mine. ^^ Though you can't see my lovely evidence there...unless it's just (bloody) Safari being evil, which wouldn't at all surprise me.

Here it be:

http://www.geocities.com/midnight_alex2002/CommieCookie.jpg

Mama Hedgehog
November 11th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Gee, what did Oreos ever do to you? Bad childhood experience?