PDA

View Full Version : The Inheritance Cycle

redwallfan91
November 3rd, 2007, 03:42 PM
As some of you probably know, Christopher Paolini has just announced that rather than a trilogy, there will be four, what he calls a Cycle. While I know there is some hostility to his books here, please refrain from criticism about the books themselves. Basically, what do you think of this decision, is it good or bad? If you like the books, that's great. If you don't, please don't start discussing it here.

Personally, I think it's a good decision. There was a lot of story left to be told and it's done best without rushing it. I, personally, like to linger in the world an author has created, so one more book is great with me. This does mean, however, that the books saying The Inheritance Trilogy will become collector's items and discontinued. It will probably generate more publicity, a good and bad thing. So, what do you think?

Brocktree1
November 3rd, 2007, 04:46 PM
I think that's just great. At last, an author who writes four books instead of the usual, expected three. Think about it, EVERYONE expected it to be a trilogy. Christipher NEVER said it was. Proves everyone wrong ;)

LordTBT
November 4th, 2007, 07:33 AM
Haven't read the books, but here are my comments.

Personally, I find it incredibly naive to call a group of books a "trilogy" when only 2 have been published. That's just silly. As of 2007, there is no trilogy, there is no cycle. There are 2 books in a story, and we know a 3rd and supposedly now 4th is forthcoming.

That doesn't make it a "trilogy" whatsoever, and it just seems foolish to say that. What sort of author is going to write him/herself into a hole where they're only going to write 3 books? Not a good one, I can say that.

Paolini can write as many dragon books as he wants, it's his brainchild.

Although I have a feeling he's writing a 4th because there's more cinema going to be involved.

At any rate, it still could be a "trilogy". Maybe books 1-4 are the first part of that. ;)

Mama Hedgehog
November 13th, 2007, 08:51 PM
I think what was meant was this aspect of the story was going to be told in 3 parts (which is now to be 4). One of my (other) favorite authors, Anne McCaffrey, has written several trilogies, some of them within the same storyline. Christopher Paolini needs to hurry up and get his stuff published! The 1st two books are great, and WAY more detailed than the movie version! :D